RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Super Bowl XLVIII
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/04/14 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From one of my Facebook friend's page:

Cool

pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/14 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coke ad would have been illegal in 1910's Iowa and Nebraska

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/that-coke-super-bowl-ad-would-have-been-illegal-in-1920-1515015278

Quote:
The May 25, 1918 New York Times heralded the decision, calling it "sound, hard common sense."

norwester

PostPosted: 02/05/14 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe that I haven't posted to this thread yet! Maybe I've been too busy celebrating? Haha. Our parade is today at 11 AM our time, and I heard that people were camping out last night. They were certainly lining the city streets in the wee morning hours today, and it was unseasonably cold! But dry, which is a mercy. I guess you can stream the parade on King5.com (for any of those who've relocated out of Seattle and wish to view it).

I found the Anna Kendrick ad to be hilarious, but I like her, so I was predisposed to do so. In general, I felt that all the "leaking" and "previews" of the ads on youtube and hulu and other internet places took some of the wind out of the sails. There were plenty that were fine, or amused me. But overall seemed to be missing that iconic feel.

Except for Coke. I really enjoyed the Coke commercial. It hearkens back to the old classic "teach the world to sing" commercial, in my opinion. And was beautiful.

I'm thoroughly against declaring English the national language of the US. I get that there may be people in some insular communities who never learn English, but their kids usually do. Meanwhile, it's unnecessarily mean-spirited to try to make what may even be legally-immigrated populations who are the most vulnerable in some ways unable to read federal pamphlets, etc. when they may be among those who most need the information.

I liked the Bruno Mars show. Again, a good mix of throwback and modern. Upbeat. Peppy. Good moves. I'm unsure about the Chili Peppers integration (even though I'm generally a fan of their music), but I'm amused at that visual dissonance.

Joe Namath's fur coat was an amusing show-stopper during the coin flip.

Wonderful game. For me. Wink Completely balanced attack. It may have been boring for those who weren't 'hawks fans, but similar to liking watching UConn women's basketball blow-outs, I just like watching the game be played really well. And the Seahawks were on another level than the Broncos. It very well could have been a shut-out. Surprised That's crazy.

It also goes to show how meaningless stats can be: Peyton and his receivers had a record number of completions. So it seems silly to put the "blame" on the shoulders of the QB, as I've seen in a lot of blogs, etc. this week. Outplayed and outcoached across the board. I'm most amused because all the national pundits are having to eat a lot of crow this week, and that always entertains me (even if they aren't really doing mea culpas, they know they should be).

PostPosted: 02/05/14 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:

I'm thoroughly against declaring English the national language of the US....it's unnecessarily mean-spirited to try to make what may even be legally-immigrated populations who are the most vulnerable in some ways unable to read federal pamphlets, etc. when they may be among those who most need the information.

That would be mean spirited? How many different languages should we be required to produce those pamphlets in to make everyone feel good? I know some IRS forms can be found in Spanish. But is it mean spirited that they all are not in multiple languages. With some exceptions, you are required to have an understanding of English for Naturalization. My comment on English being recognized as the official language was only to formally recognize what already is - not to force anything new on anyone. BUT, I know I brought this into the conversation about SuperBowl halftime and should have left it out. For the record, I loved the commercial and was not bothered by the languages. Just made me think.

So, how 'bout that Bruno Mars!!

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/05/14 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
norwester wrote:

I'm thoroughly against declaring English the national language of the US....it's unnecessarily mean-spirited to try to make what may even be legally-immigrated populations who are the most vulnerable in some ways unable to read federal pamphlets, etc. when they may be among those who most need the information.

That would be mean spirited? How many different languages should we be required to produce those pamphlets in to make everyone feel good? I know some IRS forms can be found in Spanish. But is it mean spirited that they all are not in multiple languages. With some exceptions, you are required to have an understanding of English for Naturalization. My comment on English being recognized as the official language was only to formally recognize what already is - not to force anything new on anyone. BUT, I know I brought this into the conversation about SuperBowl halftime and should have left it out. For the record, I loved the commercial and was not bothered by the languages. Just made me think.

So, how 'bout that Bruno Mars!!

One of the big reasons I am against an "official" language is that it codifies an "us .vs. them" sort of mentality. It tells people that they have to adapt to our way of doing things, and gives legal backing to those who demand others to conform. Not having an official language keeps things fluid and in the long run can help the country adapt to changes in its population rather than forcing the population to adapt to the state.

Will it happen? Probably not. English is likely here to stay. However, it is nice to know that it could happen if it is for the best.

PostPosted: 02/05/14 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't watch the halftime show, and I'm not even a big fan of Bruno Mars. But I'm glad he was selected instead of another "classic rock" act (cynical translation: "OLD FART!") doing the halftime show. Past years included: The Who, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, etc.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 02/05/14 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

One of the big reasons I am against an "official" language is that it codifies an "us .vs. them" sort of mentality. It tells people that they have to adapt to our way of doing things, and gives legal backing to those who demand others to conform. Not having an official language keeps things fluid and in the long run can help the country adapt to changes in its population rather than forcing the population to adapt to the state.

Will it happen? Probably not. English is likely here to stay. However, it is nice to know that it could happen if it is for the best.

I don't see it that way at all, Justin. As a country we have to communicate. I LOVE the diversity in this country. In fact, I always describe the DC area to people as "a place where everyone is from somewhere else." My neighbors to my left are Greek, to my right Chinese, directly behind (I live on a pipe stem) Indian, Korean, and Cambodian, with WASP across the street. There are Middle Eastern and Latino's all along my street. We've had block parties where everyone shared a little of their culture. But one common bond was that we could all communicate. I didn't get any sense of people being put off by speaking English - but they all also retained their native tongues. Hell, I'm the dummy for only speaking one language (if you don't count my Southern drawl that comes out when I go back home.)

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/07/14 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Funny how many are admitting they really didn't know who he was - but have been boppn' their heads to his tunes for years. Very happy for the young man!!

He's the real deal.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gL3Bkd8TIKA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL3Bkd8TIKA

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ov9RdUnDcxs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9RdUnDcxs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: