RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014 mock draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/26/13 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Plaisance, but that 43.7% shooting has me concerned.

Look at Dolson's numbers. Look at her A/TO, look at her shooting, look at everything. And look how good her team is ...

If she's healthy, she's got all the tools to be a very good WNBA player, if not a star.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Look at Dolson's numbers. Look at her A/TO, look at her shooting, look at everything. And look how good her team is ...

If she's healthy, she's got all the tools to be a very good WNBA player, if not a star.

I think Dolson would be a perfect fit with SAN AN they need a post player.
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/26/13 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the difference between Dolson and Bales besides height?

PostPosted: 08/26/13 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They've already got Appel. Is Dolson going to be anything more than Appel Mark II?

PostPosted: 08/26/13 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Dolson is a better rebounder, Bales a better shot blocker.
Dolson is a better passer, Bales has a sweet outside shot.

I expect Dolson will be a decent backup post player, just as Bales was. That's assuming Dolson returns to form after her late season injury last year.

~rAf
lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/26/13 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They've already got Appel. Is Dolson going to be anything more than Appel Mark II?

That's my opinion of her right now. Appel 2.0

PostPosted: 08/26/13 6:30 pm    ::: Re: Hmmm Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

As for Thomas, you don't see many small forwards posting up in the league -- it's a nice thing to talk about, but posting up players who normally don't seldom works at this level.

First, it screws up the offense, and people aren't used to it. Second, if you pull the power forward and/or the center away from the hoop, their defenders don't blindly follow them as they often do in college. They'll just hang out near or in the paint to help. Third, at 6-2, Thomas will have only a few inches on other small forwards, and my impression that she's not a great leaper -- and most 5-10 small forwards in the WNBA can really jump.

For me, players need the skill set for their position, which for a WNBA small forward is the ability to shoot the three, the ability to deny penetration to quickness and handle the ball. Thomas can do one of those three (though she does turn the ball over a ton), so I just don't see her as a lottery pick based on what she's done so far. Now if she comes out and makes 35% of 100 threes this year, it's a different story.

Wow, Clay. That's a LOT of negatives about a player who has been a standout all three years and All*American. This past season she had to play point-forward so all her numbers were down across the board. Imagine Catch playing point and that's what you got with AT last season. She is a forward, just like Catch and can play 4 or 3, depending on team need. She, quite simply, is a player. I expect her to go top 2 or 3 and will be one of those players who will meet or exceed her draft pick. She'll need to improve her outside shot, but, like Catch, that will never be her strength. She is a monster rebounder for her size and a triple double waiting to happen every time she steps on the floor.

Please keep in mind that she plays for my team's enemy #2, Maryland, and then realize I have no reason whatsoever to overstate her value. I think you will see what I'm saying when Maryland has at least one and even two Div.1 calibre guards. Also, I'm not saying she'll be the superstar that Catch is, but she is capable of developing to that level. She's already strong like bull.

~rAf
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/26/13 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Dolson is a better rebounder, Bales a better shot blocker.
Dolson is a better passer, Bales has a sweet outside shot.

I expect Dolson will be a decent backup post player, just as Bales was. That's assuming Dolson returns to form after her late season injury last year.

With this information and watching her for three years, she looks nothing more than a serviceable role player. Not sure if a team wants that in the lottery.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

i think Dolson would back up Appel very nicely. She'd likely score more points and have fewer rebounds and assists. SASS would have 40 minutes of adequate play at Center, making them deeper. I don't see more than that.

~rAf
RP

PostPosted: 08/26/13 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Appel with a jump shot, as someone else suggested, is a fair comparison for Dolson.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/26/13 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Appel with a jump shot, as someone else suggested, is a fair comparison for Dolson.

Yeah, because what everyone wants from their 6'5 post player is for her to shoot jumpshots.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/26/13 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

i think Dolson would back up Appel very nicely. She'd likely score more points and have fewer rebounds and assists. SASS would have 40 minutes of adequate play at Center, making them deeper. I don't see more than that.

They're probably going to be picking at about #3. You're probably aiming for more than a backup to your already-fairly-mediocre starting center with that pick.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although this draft doesn't have a physically special player like EDD or Griner I do believe its very strong you have:
C. Ogwumike
Thomas
Simms
Achonwa
McBride
Hartley
Dolson
Simmons
Schimmel
Howard
Liston
Peters
Gray
Ellenberg
Plaisance

All of whom will(or have the potential to) be starters or solid bench players

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/26/13 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Alyssa Thomas will be a pretty good WNBA player if she gets on the right team -- the problem is finding a position for her.

My response was about her being the third overall pick -- I think Sims and Gray project better because they have a position.

Stefanie Dolson, 6-5 and physical: 59.3% shooting, 79.6% from the line. 13.6 ppg, 7.1 rpg in 26.8 mpg (a relatively low number), 117 assists, 86 turnovers, 58 blocks.

There was mention of Aaryn Ellenberg as a pro prospect, and the guard's A/TO was nowhere near Dolson's. The negative I see is her health, as getting in shape seemed to have caused some leg problems -- and stress fractures can linger for years.

And it's not like Dolson isn't getting great coaching, and she's played at a high level. I'm a Jayne Appel fan, but I like Dolson more -- assuming, of course, she's at the same level of physical condition as last year, and doesn't have leg issues.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think Alyssa Thomas will be a pretty good WNBA player if she gets on the right team -- the problem is finding a position for her.

My response was about her being the third overall pick -- I think Sims and Gray project better because they have a position.

Well, we each have our own opinion about Alyssa. I don't think she drops below 3rd pick. Seattle, SASS, USun, Tulsa - all four could benefit greatly. Given Chiney goes #1, every team except SASS could pick a PG. They all have a huge hole at forward (unless Sophia comes back 100%). Alyssa is more of a sure thing than Sophia ever was and we know how that worked out.

~rAf
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/26/13 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think A. Thomas is closer to Pierson, Young and Catchings than she is to A. Clark or V. Dunlop.

And I think Dolson is closer to Ruth Riley and (the good versions of) Braxton and Davenport than she is to Appel or Bales, JMO.

Oh and I'm rooting for Ellenberg but she might be closer to being A. Riley than she is to being Prince.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/26/13 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, how do you classify Dolson as a banger and Plaisance a finesse player when Plaisance averaged more rebounds and more blocked shots than Dolson?

PostPosted: 08/27/13 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Myrtle, how do you classify Dolson as a banger and Plaisance a finesse player when Plaisance averaged more rebounds and more blocked shots than Dolson?

by watching her play... Very Happy She really looks to prefer to play outside the key and she has quite a nice jumpshot...reminds me a bit like Meesseman who also gets a fair number of blocks and rebounds per minute played, and nobody would call her a banger.

But it's true I've only seen her play a few games. And I was surprisingly impressed in those few games.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/27/13 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson will probably end up being a lottery pick. Bigs always seem to go earlier than they probably should based on the lack of supply. (Chanel Mokongo, Kelly Cain. Astan Dabo anyone?) BTW on the subject of Appel- in looking at the 2010 draft - Appel was not a bad pick at all, if you look at the lack of talent after her. Hightower in the 2nd round has had a better career, but if SA didn't need a guard, Appel was the best pick, as lackluster as she may be.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/27/13 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, I guess from your description I would have to agree with your point about Dolson being a banger. But if I had to decide between Dolson and Plaisance I would choose Plaisance. I like post players that can rebound and protect the rim on defense. Plaisance numbers prove that she is better at doing that than Dolson. Wink

PostPosted: 08/27/13 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

babycoop09 wrote:
Although this draft doesn't have a physically special player like EDD or Griner I do believe its very strong you have:
C. Ogwumike
Thomas
Simms
Achonwa
McBride
Hartley
Dolson
Simmons
Schimmel
Howard
Liston
Peters
Gray
Ellenberg
Plaisance

All of whom will(or have the potential to) be starters or solid bench players

I think Chiney is special like edd and Griner. and will make a similar impact in her rookie year.

I really hope either Schimmel, Hartley, Gray or Mcbride fall down to the Lynx somehow.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 09/12/13 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As continuing fan of local girl, Howard, noted she made only 2 unsuccessful attempts at 3's in 2013, no more treys attempted that season. In 2011/12, Howard made 21 of 57 three attempts.

In 2013, however, Howard increased her free throw% to 104 out of 170 compared to 50 of 91 in 2011/12. She made double doubles about every game, was strong with steals/blocks, also. Still too many TO's, though.

Not sure if Coach Semarau made that no threes call, but makes me wonder if Howard will be back shooting treys this yr.

Hope to see her make WNBA, and going first round would be sweet.

*BTW, noticed Coach S. put a picture of a H.S. finger roll of Howard's on the Coach's twitter site last month-ish http://instagram.com/p/cenZqaMHTj/

Would love to see Howard have a college Sr. yr like her legendary H.S. Sr. at Waite.

Last edited by shadowboxer on 09/14/13 12:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/13 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If teams have identical records (say Indy and DC) at the end of the year, do the same tie-breakers as used for playoffs apply when it comes to draft order?

babycoop09

PostPosted: 09/13/13 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After seeing Stricklen start to come into her own I'm thinking the shock trade their pick to Seattle for her and their 2nd round pick..that would give the shock a good small forward that can play power forward and the storm a lottery pick plus their first round pick

Goodrich/Williams
Diggins/Wiggins
Stricklen/Hodges
Johnson/Jackson/Lacy
Cambage/Paris

Bird/TJJ
Wright/Quinn
Thomas/Clark
Little/Plaisance/Tinkle?
Jackson/ARob

pilight

PostPosted: 09/13/13 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If teams have identical records (say Indy and DC) at the end of the year, do the same tie-breakers as used for playoffs apply when it comes to draft order?

Yes

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 4 of 67

Jump to: