RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

When the wedding
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TweetyMulatto

PostPosted: 10/07/08 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry if i sounded bitchy there.

and sorry if it felt like i was insinuating things...i'll keep an eye on that.

If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...would you slow down? Or speed up?
TweetyMulatto

PostPosted: 10/07/08 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
I think everyone should relax. tweety and DTP are probably feel like they are sick of us. And guys I'm sorry for my post to both of you forget about it.

it's cool guys.

any hostility in this thread (which probably shouldn't have been started) should be dropped.

let's all just be happy they're happy and leave it at that.

If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...would you slow down? Or speed up?
beeball

PostPosted: 10/07/08 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
I think everyone should relax. tweety and DTP are probably feel like they are sick of us. And guys I'm sorry for my post to both of you forget about it.

Believe me, it's not that serious at all. This post was doomed from the start when it got responses as opposed to just views. I was simply trying to diffuse it before it became about players other than the ones pictured.

No harm, no foul.

DTP

PostPosted: 10/07/08 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alright DTP is out of this....nope, ya'll ain't getting me in trouble. Queenie just said something about a Lynx player being in the Shock locker room most people would think something was up and I only brought up Candace because she was in there too and as you all know, she's not a shock player. So the point of that was...just because a player from another team was there and in the locker room or whatever it doesn't mean much...that's all I was trying to say. I'm sorry for ever bringing Candace into this...didn't mean to turn this into a guess who's Candace is with or whatever type of thread.

DTP is sorry... Sad

DTP

PostPosted: 10/07/08 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:

I'm all for staying out of the players' private lives and...wait, lmao, what the hell am I saying? Laughing

I almost laughed my ass of there...nice save. Very Happy And damnit, I am innocent...

Last edited by DTP on 10/07/08 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 10/07/08 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:
bballequalslife wrote:
Am I the only one who is absolutely confused by this thread? Laughing

probably.

Crying or Very sad

I'm always out of the loop. Sad Laughing

dukegirl125

PostPosted: 10/07/08 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Anyway, wasn't Lindsey "out" in college?

Nope.

Depends on who you ask if you were in the gay community in Durham or one of her friends then yeah she was out but there was no media announcement about it or anything
No one really cared and that's still the case today Smile so long as she is happy and that smile says a lot

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/07/08 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
As for Candace and Shelden I don't know how it first came out about their relationship either, but their relationship is public knowledge and from how it appears if Katie and Lindsey are together its not public knowledge.

Not speaking about any same-sex couple specifically, but just generally: what does it mean for a relationship to be "public knowledge"? Is the couple supposed to put out a press release? Do heterosexuals who are dating or coupled up do that? Of course not. They just go about living their lives.

Well basically everyone knows Lisa Leslie is married, everyone knows about Sheryl Swoopes and her partner, everyone knows about Candace Parker it has nothing to to with promoting their relationship, but they don't do anything to hide their relationship, I might be wrong about Sheryl Swoopes, but from what I heard she didn't attempt to hide her relationship, but at the same time she didn't put it out there.

There are heterosexual players who keep their personal life and who they are dating private as well, this has nothing to do with heterosexual or homosexual players. The reason I mentioned Candace and Shelden was because the person I was responding to said if this thread was about Candace and Shelden no one would be making speculation about their relationship but they would be talking about the players them selves and making cracks about the looks of the players instead of the relationship.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/07/08 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukegirl125 wrote:
Depends on who you ask if you were in the gay community in Durham or one of her friends then yeah she was out but there was no media announcement about it or anything
No one really cared and that's still the case today Smile so long as she is happy and that smile says a lot

I had friends in the LGBT at Duke. If Lindsey was gay at Duke, she certainly wasn't out. The only people who knew were her closest friends.

But yeah, it's no big deal. Actually, it is. She pulled a baller!

Mathies to LA 2013
psheehy

PostPosted: 10/07/08 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is not about a double standard.

It is about respecting an celebrity's right to privacy with regards to aspects of their personal life they have not chosen to discuss in public. If a player is in a relationship with another person, they reserve the right to discuss that in public when, where and how they so desire.

There are (imho inane) aspects of American societal culture that can create public and personal issues for people that state particular personal beliefs (whether they be political, religious or orientation related) that foster the need for individuals to make personal decisions about what they share of their personal life, whether they are celebrities or "joe six-pack, soccer moms."

See the Birdy/Dee buddy blog to see how Sue and Diana differ on discussing politics in the public eye.

In the end, this is the "net," and as a person who actually used the internet when it was still a baby (yes, I can spell DARPA), I support the freedom of speech and expression on the net. I do expect a level of courtesy and respect from its users that has sadly dwindled over time.

If Parker and Williams weren't out I would not want us talking about them either. I love that players have, historicaly, had control over this information.

I wish that out couples like Taj and her partner got equal air time with Sheryl and her partner in the ESPN personal moments, but I accept that after generations of a revolutionary culture, America is a cautious reactionary in these times.

I focus instead on my role as a parent that teaches my children that what makes a human being is, passion, empathy, and a thirst for knowledge, with everything else being incidental. I content myself with looking bigots in the eye and telling them that their "harmless" jokes or choices of terms are hateful and insulting to me as a human. I trust that, at heart, humans are loving creatures who need each other, and that fear and hatred won't always rule my country.

I understand the thoughts and feelings that led to the initial post and I understand the thoughts and feelings that scream from the passionate replies after the posting.

I ask us all to just end it here.

Let us let this moment go and move on to explore the thing we all come here to share: amazing basketball played by the most amazing women players on the planet.

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
dukegirl125

PostPosted: 10/07/08 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
dukegirl125 wrote:

I had friends in the LGBT at Duke. If Lindsey was gay at Duke, she certainly wasn't out. The only people who knew were her closest friends.

But yeah, it's no big deal. Actually, it is. She pulled a baller!

LBGT at Duke is different than the LGBT in Durham... big difference...trust me I know I have been living in it for the past few years.

LOL....yeah she did! katie is a balla and an absolute sweetheart! linds is not a bad pull by tha balla! Smile

beeball

PostPosted: 10/07/08 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

psheehy wrote:
It is not about a double standard.

It is about respecting an celebrity's right to privacy with regards to aspects of their personal life they have not chosen to discuss in public. If a player is in a relationship with another person, they reserve the right to discuss that in public when, where and how they so desire.

There are (imho inane) aspects of American societal culture that can create public and personal issues for people that state particular personal beliefs (whether they be political, religious or orientation related) that foster the need for individuals to make personal decisions about what they share of their personal life, whether they are celebrities or "joe six-pack, soccer moms."

See the Birdy/Dee buddy blog to see how Sue and Diana differ on discussing politics in the public eye.

In the end, this is the "net," and as a person who actually used the internet when it was still a baby (yes, I can spell DARPA), I support the freedom of speech and expression on the net. I do expect a level of courtesy and respect from its users that has sadly dwindled over time.

If Parker and Williams weren't out I would not want us talking about them either. I love that players have, historicaly, had control over this information.

I wish that out couples like Taj and her partner got equal air time with Sheryl and her partner in the ESPN personal moments, but I accept that after generations of a revolutionary culture, America is a cautious reactionary in these times.

I focus instead on my role as a parent that teaches my children that what makes a human being is, passion, empathy, and a thirst for knowledge, with everything else being incidental. I content myself with looking bigots in the eye and telling them that their "harmless" jokes or choices of terms are hateful and insulting to me as a human. I trust that, at heart, humans are loving creatures who need each other, and that fear and hatred won't always rule my country.

I understand the thoughts and feelings that led to the initial post and I understand the thoughts and feelings that scream from the passionate replies after the posting.

I ask us all to just end it here.

Let us let this moment go and move on to explore the thing we all come here to share: amazing basketball played by the most amazing women players on the planet.

Let the church say AMEN!!! So eloquently put P.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 10/07/08 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is any of this about anything?????

This is about a poster making a big deal out of nothing.

Yes, players should be allowed to have personal lives, but whether they are gay straight or asexual their relationships may be commented on here.

Fact is, these ladies need no protection. There are no lines being crossed. It doesn't become more important to give someone privacy because they are gay.

We are all equal and to treat gay relationships any differently than straight relationships here would only serve to perpetuate the idea that they aren't the same exact freaking thing.

So in closing, it's not worth letting Rothum stir stuff up that isn't an issue for anyone else on this board. Personally, I wouldn't bring up this sort of thing, but it's not offensive to me for someone to insinuate that Harding and Smith are very close or in a relationship. I have far too much else to worry about than to get wrapped up in that.

PostPosted: 10/07/08 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukegirl125 wrote:
LBGT at Duke is different than the LGBT in Durham... big difference...trust me I know I have been living in it for the past few years.

Embarassed My bad. I was thinking "Duke" even though you said "Durham". Yup...two separate entities.

Mathies to LA 2013
five_to_the_third

PostPosted: 10/07/08 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could say a lot about both part I and part II of this thread, but will keep it short: I wish that I'd had steady access to happy pictures and stories of lesbian couples when I was 13 and suicidal.
Confused

psheehy

PostPosted: 10/08/08 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

five_to_the_third wrote:
I could say a lot about both part I and part II of this thread, but will keep it short: I wish that I'd had steady access to happy pictures and stories of lesbian couples when I was 13 and suicidal.
Confused

your statement of fact makes me weep inside.

it makes me want to write paragraphs of wisdom which I lack. (though I wish I had)

all I can say is that if someone's view of the world excludes the person you see in yourself...there is only one person wrong and it isn't you. if you are, then you are. if others can't see you, then they are the ones who are lacking, not you.

this universe that we live in is infinite from a perspective of the math we use to interpret it. inifinity has no limits.

i can only beg every 13 year old in the universe to embrace your personal piece of infinity and share it with the rest of us so that the rest of us may grow.

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
PattyforPresident

PostPosted: 10/08/08 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Yes, players should be allowed to have personal lives, but whether they are gay straight or asexual their relationships may be commented on here.

Fact is, these ladies need no protection. There are no lines being crossed. It doesn't become more important to give someone privacy because they are gay.

We are all equal and to treat gay relationships any differently than straight relationships here would only serve to perpetuate the idea that they aren't the same exact freaking thing.

So in closing, it's not worth letting Rothum stir stuff up that isn't an issue for anyone else on this board. Personally, I wouldn't bring up this sort of thing, but it's not offensive to me for someone to insinuate that Harding and Smith are very close or in a relationship. I have far too much else to worry about than to get wrapped up in that.

X_________________

ripleydc

PostPosted: 10/08/08 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

five_to_the_third wrote:
Confused

Amen!!!

That's one of the reasons why I love the fact that LH & KS are so open. What great role models! Very Happy

irk

PostPosted: 10/08/08 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

five_to_the_third wrote:
Confused

Right on.
*applause*
*sniffle*

(For the record, on the original topic, that's too frickin' adorable.)

PostPosted: 10/08/08 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

So the posting of a sense of decorum is stirring stuff up? I did not start this thread. I did not attempt to inaccurately imply the domestic life of two players.

I said that this board used to refuse to publicly discuss these things. In 2004 and 2005 when players and their family members viewed this board we were very careful about sharing what we knew about the inner workings of teams and players lest something negative inadvertently occurred.

I can think of more than one player who is deeply closeted lest their family finds out. I do not want to be the person who is the source of additional issues in any player's life.

This isn't about we readers being "cool" about the subject, this is about being a message board that has insightful conversations about basketball or being the gossip rag of women's basketball.

This is why I prefer Off-Court where private conversations can remain private. Not my problem you were tossed from Off-Court for violating that rule eyevolley. And that is why Off-Court now has the players haunting over there instead of here. BECAUSE their privacy is protected.

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
shock6666

PostPosted: 10/08/08 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

So the posting of a sense of decorum is stirring stuff up? I did not start this thread. I did not attempt to inaccurately imply the domestic life of two players.

I said that this board used to refuse to publicly discuss these things. In 2004 and 2005 when players and their family members viewed this board we were very careful about sharing what we knew about the inner workings of teams and players lest something negative inadvertently occurred.

I can think of more than one player who is deeply closeted lest their family finds out. I do not want to be the person who is the source of additional issues in any player's life.

This isn't about we readers being "cool" about the subject, this is about being a message board that has insightful conversations about basketball or being the gossip rag of women's basketball.

This is why I prefer Off-Court where private conversations can remain private. Not my problem you were tossed from Off-Court for violating that rule eyevolley. And that is why Off-Court now has the players haunting over there instead of here. BECAUSE their privacy is protected.

Thanks Rothum and very well put...I remember way back then and how careful we used to be for all the reasons you listed.....hopefully your words are heard. It's important.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/08/08 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:

So the posting of a sense of decorum is stirring stuff up? I did not start this thread. I did not attempt to inaccurately imply the domestic life of two players. . . . .
This is why I prefer Off-Court where private conversations can remain private

What's inaccurate?

As for privacy, two people posing for a camera are not being private (and this is hardly the first such pic these two have posed for).

Your posts seem to suggest that being gay is something to be secretive about and hidden. (Apologies if that's not what you intended.) I prefer to see people, gay or not, simply going about their lives being themselves. And if they want to express joy in public in front of a camera, more power to them.

GGL

PostPosted: 10/08/08 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shock6666 wrote:
Rothum wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

Thanks Rothum and very well put...I remember way back then and how careful we used to be for all the reasons you listed.....hopefully your words are heard. It's important.

It's important...that KS and LH looks happy as hell during a Championship celebration. Cool

Rothum

PostPosted: 10/08/08 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
What's inaccurate?

As for privacy, two people posing for a camera are not being private (and this is hardly the first such pic these two have posed for).

Your posts seem to suggest that being gay is something to be secretive about and hidden. (Apologies if that's not what you intended.) I prefer to see people, gay or not, simply going about their lives being themselves. And if they want to express joy in public in front of a camera, more power to them.

No attempt to imply secrecy should be encouraged and I would certainly be the last to say that about being gay. One thing no one has said, that might clarify my point. If you look at the background, that picture was taken in the locker room. I bolded a part of your post above. See, it was not at center court postgame, or in the public eye. It was in front of teammates, friends and maybe family, and yes, a yahoo photographer who chose to post it online.

Haven't we always read over the years about the sanctity of the locker room? The point is, we can't tell what they had intended. Whether they wanted it to be public or not. It's their business.

Discretion, I would think, in that type of circumstance, would lead to perhaps a little less discussion of their personal lives and a little more focus on the amazing performance Ms. Smith had in the finals.

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
PattyforPresident

PostPosted: 10/08/08 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
What's inaccurate?

No attempt to imply secrecy should be encouraged and I would certainly be the last to say that about being gay. One thing no one has said, that might clarify my point. If you look at the background, that picture was taken in the locker room. I bolded a part of your post above. See, it was not at center court postgame, or in the public eye. It was in front of teammates, friends and maybe family, and yes, a yahoo photographer who chose to post it online.

Haven't we always read over the years about the sanctity of the locker room? The point is, we can't tell what they had intended. Whether they wanted it to be public or not. It's their business.

Discretion, I would think, in that type of circumstance, would lead to perhaps a little less discussion of their personal lives and a little more focus on the amazing performance Ms. Smith had in the finals.

I'm with CourtsideTix, smiling into the camera is not hiding, no matter where you do it. I can't speak on whether they're dating, but they're certainly not hiding the fact that they enjoy hugging one another.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: