RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/17/21 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mack with another impressive line against Oklahoma tonight.
Mack 26 pts (12-17, 2-3 FT), 18 reb (6 off), 5 ast, 0 TO, 2 stl, 5 blk in 33 min

This statline was actually from the Sooner-Cowgirl matchup on Feb. 6.

Tonight, OK State beat Kansas State at home, 59-46. Mack matched up against Kansas State's elite sophomore big, 6'6 Ayoka Lee. It was a great battle.

Mack's statline: 24 pts on 10-17 FG & 4-6 FT, 17 reb, 2 stl, 4 blk.

Lee's statline: 27 pts on 12-19 FG & 3-4 FT, 7 reb, 1 stl, 2 blk.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/18/21 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooooo... Evina Westbrook. Back below the 10-PPG line. In the middle of a shooting slump. Not more than a role player to begin with, even dating back to her Tennessee days. Disappears pretty easily within a given game (imo).

What exactly would her biggest selling point(s) be as a prospect at this point, were she to declare early? Or is it pretty much just being part of the UConn brand?

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbrook put up 14.9 ppg and 5.3 apg in her last season at Tennessee. She tied for the team lead in scoring with Rennia Davis and she led in assists. That's more than a mere role player. This season, through the Arkansas game, Westbrook was playing pretty well -- sort of a do-whatever-is-needed steady veteran. I thought she was actually edging up toward lottery territory. We're getting hints that Allemand might not show up, so I could see Indiana reaching for her. But now that's changed. Evina's scoring has fallen off a cliff in the last 6 games -- including two goose eggs and a 2-point effort. She's 1-20 from 3pt over that stretch. Except for a 6-12 effort against Seton Hall, where I seem to recall all the makes were lay-ups, she's been reluctant to shoot. Westbrook clearly has lost confidence in her shot. I posted earlier this week that she had better turn it around quickly. Not only was Evina at risk to drop out of the 1st Round, but she was at risk to drop out of the draft altogether. Well, yesterday's 0-1 with zero points was not a good start. Sure, the 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 block, and 2 steals still made her very useful. But at some point, Westbrook has to start scoring again. UConn is desperate for outside shooting. As we saw in the South Carolina game, Geno did not hesitate to bench Westbrook when she looked like she was not helping at all.

Returning to school next season is definitely on the table.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Westbrook put up 14.9 ppg and 5.3 apg in her last season at Tennessee. She tied for the team lead in scoring with Rennia Davis and she led in assists. That's more than a mere role player. This season, through the Arkansas game, Westbrook was playing pretty well -- sort of a do-whatever-is-needed steady veteran. I thought she was actually edging up toward lottery territory. We're getting hints that Allemand might not show up, so I could see Indiana reaching for her. But now that's changed. Evina's scoring has fallen off a cliff in the last 6 games -- including two goose eggs and a 2-point effort. She's 1-20 from 3pt over that stretch. Except for a 6-12 effort against Seton Hall, where I seem to recall all the makes were lay-ups, she's been reluctant to shoot. Westbrook clearly has lost confidence in her shot. I posted earlier this week that she had better turn it around quickly. Not only was Evina at risk to drop out of the 1st Round, but she was at risk to drop out of the draft altogether. Well, yesterday's 0-1 with zero points was not a good start. Sure, the 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 block, and 2 steals still made her very useful. But at some point, Westbrook has to start scoring again. UConn is desperate for outside shooting. As we saw in the South Carolina game, Geno did not hesitate to bench Westbrook when she looked like she was not helping at all.

If she returns her minutes will take a hit with Fudd coming next season and the other guards they have coming in . Evina has been to the WNBA draft every season as a spectator i cannot see her passing this up.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Sooooo... Evina Westbrook. Back below the 10-PPG line. In the middle of a shooting slump. Not more than a role player to begin with, even dating back to her Tennessee days. Disappears pretty easily within a given game (imo).

What exactly would her biggest selling point(s) be as a prospect at this point, were she to declare early? Or is it pretty much just being part of the UConn brand?

I think Azura Stevens helps Westbrook. Stevens was a major star at Duke, but more of a role player at UConn. She's done well enough in the W to indicate that the Duke production was worth basing her future on.

Westbrook wasn't Stevens when she was at Tennessee, but she was good and productive. In a raggedy draft, I could see drafting her higher and hoping that her Tennessee production says more about her future than her Duke. There is at least recent precedent for that.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

If she returns her minutes will take a hit with Fudd coming next season and the other guards they have coming in . Evina has been to the WNBA draft every season as a spectator i cannot see her passing this up.

But if it looks like Westbrook is going to drop to the bottom half of the draft or not get drafted at all, is there any point to coming out? I can see it turning into a really tough choice. Given the recent history of #1 recruits at UConn like Megan Walker and Christyn Williams, there's no guarantee that Fudd is going to be an overnight success. Not everyone is Paige Bueckers. It's possible Evina could hang on to her starting job. But either way, this year or next, she has to get her act together. It simply comes down to playing well or she'll need to quickly pivot to another career.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbrook still has time to turn it around scoring-wise

She got the the size, skill and two way game that she is probably still a safer bet than most of the guards in this draft

Dallas at 7, Chi at 8, LA Sea and LV 10-12, LV again at 14, I can't really see her falling farther than that. and LA sea LV again at 22-24 definitely but I still think she has 1st round written all over her

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/18/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbrook probably should’ve just stayed at Tennessee at this point. She was making her way up, being a middle-of-the-roster player her freshman year and being the ‘co-star’ of the team her sophomore year (alongside one Rennia Davis) – though I’d argue being a co-star didn’t make her or Davis an actual star player that year. And now, she ironically has been playing worse at UConn in recent days, where players/the team usually only seem to improve as the season progresses. (I mean, Bueckers has – perhaps to the detriment of the entire rest of the team...)

As for her best skills... probably her passing? Her ~2 ATO is pretty healthy. It isn’t her shooting: her 3PT% was 31% her freshman year, 38% her sophomore year, and 33% this year, so she’s not exactly consistent out there.

And what position would she even be in the W? PG? SG? Imo she’s kind of a tweener with not enough talent/development to excel in either spot at the moment...

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/18/21 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Westbrook is a legitimate PG -- 5.3 apg in 2019 and now 5.2. She seems to have enough quickness to play the position. The size and versatility to slide over to 2 or 3 should be a plus. Even with the bad streak, she's still at .463 FG/.333 3Pt -- albeit mostly against weak competition. Evina has had a stretch of extreme efficiency and a period of extreme inefficiency. The problem is that this is a shortened season. Bumps in the road get magnified, and the trend right now is steeply downward. She has to pull herself out of a nosedive, and that's tough when you're playing at UConn with all those high expectations -- especially when your freshman teammate is performing like she's all-world. It's a good test of Evina's mental toughness. If she pulls it off, that would be a positive sign for scouts.

However, if Westbrook can't right the ship, then I think she's better off returning to school. I mean, which option would you take:

1) Go to WNBA camp with low confidence after a bad season as a low-status 2nd or 3rd Round pick to do battle with other pro-ready prospects or even experienced vets who are desperately clinging to their pro career.

2) Spend the summer getting your game together and then enter UConn camp as a senior and returning starter to do battle with freshman Azzi Fudd.

I would choose the latter. But obviously, the best option is 3) get your act together now!

PostPosted: 02/18/21 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speak of Rennia Davis she’s scored 20 pts in the 2nd half alone right now versus Dawn Staley and the gamecocks . Once down 16 now the LVs have the lead 68-62 with 2:40 to play. Far from over but Rennia is stepping up big time!

PostPosted: 02/18/21 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Speak of Rennia Davis she’s scored 20 pts in the 2nd half alone right now versus Dawn Staley and the gamecocks . Once down 16 now the LVs have the lead 68-62 with 2:40 to play. Far from over but Rennia is stepping up big time!

24 points(all in the second half) and 12 rebounds. Second game back after being out due to medical reasons(my guess is she may have been the player that contracted COVID just looking at her recently)

PostPosted: 02/18/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

24 points(all in the second half) and 12 rebounds. Second game back after being out due to medical reasons(my guess is she may have been the player that contracted COVID just looking at her recently)

Davis 24 pts (6-12, 2-4 3P, 10-10 FT), 12 reb, 1 ast, 1 TO, 1 stl in 38 min

She’d be perfect for the Liberty’s 5-out system. She’s kind of like a mini Natasha Howard.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/19/21 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
However, if Westbrook can't right the ship, then I think she's better off returning to school. I mean, which option would you take:

1) Go to WNBA camp with low confidence after a bad season as a low-status 2nd or 3rd Round pick to do battle with other pro-ready prospects or even experienced vets who are desperately clinging to their pro career.

2) Spend the summer getting your game together and then enter UConn camp as a senior and returning starter to do battle with freshman Azzi Fudd.

I would choose the latter. But obviously, the best option is 3) get your act together now!

Westbrook might look at Crystal Dangerfield's success as a 2nd rounder and say, draft placement ain't nothin' but a numbah. As it is, mock drafts still seem to have her going in the 1st round. Even if she can't get her act together by the postseason, I can't honestly see her getting projected out of the 2nd round. Conversely, if she returns for another year and stays a starter, how does she not continue to get overshadowed by a second-year Bueckers, let alone Azzi Fudd if Fudd's the real deal like many think she is? If Westbrook stays in school (obviously I don't think she will, but still), I really think she'd be better off transferring to a better-than-average program that needs someone to 'play' the star player-role – aka at least be the first option more times than not. Can't really overthink shot-taking when you're always having to take so many!

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/21 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of people who do mock drafts who don't seem to watch games or even check box scores. Razz I'm sure a lot of these "experts" aren't even aware that Westbrook has had a terrible six game stretch. Like I said, she's still shooting 46% for the season. But Jesus Cristo, against Georgetown and St. John's who are now a combined 7-22, Westbrook managed a grand total of 2 points -- 2 points! Those are scrub teams. If you can't score on them, you've got no chance in the WNBA.

As far as Dangerfield goes, we all know that was a fluke. You're not going to see another 2nd Round pick have that kind of success two years in a row.

By next season, Evina Westbrook should be a wily 5th year senior. Channeling her inner Bugs Bunny, she could make Azzi Fudd look like Elmer Fudd. Wink

PostPosted: 02/19/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
There are a lot of people who do mock drafts who don't seem to watch games or even check box scores. Razz I'm sure a lot of these "experts" aren't even aware that Westbrook has had a terrible six game stretch.

Still, it’d probably be all the same kind of confirmation to her. How is she supposed to know that most of the people who do mock drafts are idiots? Laughing

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 02/19/21 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
There are a lot of people who do mock drafts who don't seem to watch games or even check box scores. Razz I'm sure a lot of these "experts" aren't even aware that Westbrook has had a terrible six game stretch. Like I said, she's still shooting 46% for the season. But Jesus Cristo, against Georgetown and St. John's who are now a combined 7-22, Westbrook managed a grand total of 2 points -- 2 points! Those are scrub teams. If you can't score on them, you've got no chance in the WNBA.

As far as Dangerfield goes, we all know that was a fluke. You're not going to see another 2nd Round pick have that kind of success two years in a row.

By next season, Evina Westbrook should be a wily 5th year senior. Channeling her inner Bugs Bunny, she could make Azzi Fudd look like Elmer Fudd. Wink

"Inner Bugs Bunny"....I'm dead😂😂😂😂

Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hollingshed had a big game today for Colorado.
28 pts (11-16, 1-3 3P, 5-8 FT), 12 reb, 1 ast, 2 TO, 4 stl, 1 blk in 38 min

Earlier in the season, she had 30 pts in the victory over Stanford.

She should be worth bringing into camp for somebody.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was Shakira Austin and Mississippi versus Chelsea Dungee and Arkansas tonight. The outcome wasn’t very surprising. 84-74 ARK

Slocum being out may have contributed to Dungee taking on some extra load.

Dungee 38 pts (11-22, 2-4 3P, 14-17 FT), 2 reb, 4 ast, 3 TO, 2 stl

Austin 17 pts (7-12, 0-1 3P, 3-8 FT), 11 reb (4 off), 2 ast, 5 TO, 1 stl, 2 blk

Check out all those trips to the FT line. I picture Laimbeer drooling right now. But she won’t make it to #12. If she makes it to #9, Reeve I hope you know what to do. No, not Westbrook.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/19/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dungee looks to me like the top SG in the draft. She might even be in lottery territory.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/21 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Dungee looks to me like the top SG in the draft. She might even be in lottery territory.

Right now, I think that's correct. What other perimeter players could be taken early? Just Davis, Evans, and Guirantes? Davis has been up and down. Evans is terrific, but she's a bit undersized and not everyone likes small guards. Dungee has faced tougher competition than Guirantes, and the higher media profile probably helps. So, if I had to guess, Dungee is the most likely to go high.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The player draft promo articles should start flowing in now. Here’s one for Aisha Sheppard.

Aisha Sheppard becomes 'face' of Virginia Tech women's basketball
https://roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/aisha-sheppard-becomes-face-of-virginia-tech-womens-basketball/article_c8fb4cf4-6b38-11eb-aced-2b6643d0ea47.html

Quote:
She has made a school-record 289 3-pointers in her Tech career. She ranks second in Division I with 70 3-pointers this season.

Quote:
“She’s one of the best guards in the country,” ACC Network analyst LaChina Robinson said. “Hopefully, with Virginia Tech looking like they’re going to make the NCAA tournament, she will be in the spotlight during March Madness. I just hope people get to see how special of a player she truly is.”

This is what LaChina does.

Quote:
Robinson expects Sheppard to be chosen in this year’s WNBA draft — if she enters the draft, that is.

Quote:
“I talk to WNBA people regularly, just trying to see where her stock is,” he said. “They like her a lot. I don’t think anybody’s going to tell her she needs to come back for another year.

“[But] you don’t want to forego an opportunity to be able to come back just for being a third-round pick and maybe have a week or two [in a WNBA camp] to showcase what you can do.

“If she does come back and she gets [point guard] a little bit more under her belt, she’ll be more and more attractive to the WNBA. At her size, she needs to be able to be a dual threat and not just a shooter.”

Everything her coach says is true, but it’ll sure help him out if she comes back for another year.

Quote:
She plans to graduate in August with a master’s degree in leadership studies.

Is she going to juggle a masters program and the WNBA at the same time? Maybe not seeing WNBA as realistic goal right away.

Quote:
“[It’s] to be able to show little girls, little Black girls … that you can make an impact if you just believe in yourself,” she said. “Keep going, no matter what obstacles may come your way.”

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/20/21 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

But if it looks like Westbrook is going to drop to the bottom half of the draft or not get drafted at all, is there any point to coming out? I can see it turning into a really tough choice. Given the recent history of #1 recruits at UConn like Megan Walker and Christyn Williams, there's no guarantee that Fudd is going to be an overnight success. Not everyone is Paige Bueckers. It's possible Evina could hang on to her starting job. But either way, this year or next, she has to get her act together. It simply comes down to playing well or she'll need to quickly pivot to another career.

JMO
Considering that Westbrook is only able to play at 85-90%
due to her knee injury, playing in a new system with a different cast of coaches and players, I think she's performing remarkably well.

Megan Walker came out too early and really didn't get much of an opportunity to play in NY, due to many circumstances. I'm going give her the benefit of the doubt and see how she performs in Phoenix.

As for Christyn Williams? Her inconsistency, especially shooting and walking, is remarkably askew with normal relativity for a credential-ed high school and USA player. Sometimes, she shoots remarkably well and other times she shoots wildly-off air balls and can completely miss the rim when shooting layups. I realize she has enormous pressure on her to score by the fans, coaches, players and media. She seems to have a good attitude about it.

blaase22

PostPosted: 02/20/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Westbrook it does not matter if she is in this year or next years draft it will be difficult for her to make a w roster.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/20/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got another look at Aari McDonald last night in an ugly win over a bad Cal team. Layshia Clarendon was doing the color (and did a good job) and was asked about Aari in the WNBA.

She said Aari was a good defender (and better than I had thought), but her size would work against her. Clarendon also mentioned her three-point shooting as an issue.

What she didn't say is what I would add: She looks more like a combo guard to me than a pure point guard, and her A/TO of 1.5 isn't dazzling.

Of course McDonald could thrive in the WNBA, but the profile of tiny guard with great quickness who doesn't shoot threes well and isn't a pure point guard has not produced many top-shelf players -- or even starters. And though she is a good on-ball defender against college players, you have to wonder whether a 6-0 guard like Natasha Cloud would just be too big, and a solid guard like Chelsea Gray would just be too strong.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Got another look at Aari McDonald last night in an ugly win over a bad Cal team. Layshia Clarendon was doing the color (and did a good job) and was asked about Aari in the WNBA.

She said Aari was a good defender (and better than I had thought), but her size would work against her.

She didn't win Pac-12 DPOY last year for no good reason. Even if that award is perhaps the most subjective major individual award, the candidates for it in any given league seem to always be at least semi-legitimate (yes, clearly I've accepted Candace Parker winning over Alysha Clark last year in the League, albeit begrudgingly Rolling Eyes ).

ClayK wrote:
Clarendon also mentioned her three-point shooting as an issue.

What she didn't say is what I would add: She looks more like a combo guard to me than a pure point guard, and her A/TO of 1.5 isn't dazzling.

Imo McDonald has never been a pure point guard while being a collegiate; I think she only has been starting at the 1 since last season. The way Arizona is set up is very much akin to how Mike Neighbors set up the offense completely around Kelsey Plum, where one player does virtually all the scoring & playmaking. Whereas this Arizona team is better defensively (as McDonald is certainly better than Plum is, even now as a pro), that Washington team was better offensively, as Plum was certainly a better offensive player and had more help in that area than McDonald. McDonald both doesn't have a whole lot of talent to pass it to, and simply won't much of the time by design.

Still, McDonald had more TOs than assists last season. That her ATO is even 1.5 this season is the kind of solid improvement that WNBA teams surely wanted to see out of her.

ClayK wrote:
Of course McDonald could thrive in the WNBA, but the profile of tiny guard with great quickness who doesn't shoot threes well and isn't a pure point guard has not produced many top-shelf players -- or even starters. And though she is a good on-ball defender against college players, you have to wonder whether a 6-0 guard like Natasha Cloud would just be too big, and a solid guard like Chelsea Gray would just be too strong.

I suppose she takes enough 3s to keep the defense honest; She also has a decent midrange game. That's likely how she can be so effective at using her elite speed to power to the rim; That part of her game should translate to the W, à la Jordin Canada. But like Canada, teams will sag off on McDonald over time if she can't improve her outside shot, making it harder to get around/be effective against a 6'0 defender. At some point, taking outside shots won't be enough – she'll have to make them at least at a % in the 30s. Shit, Canada all but stopped taking shots from out there – and unless she revives that part of her game – I think she shot in the upper 30s from 3 %-wise her senior year, so there's no reason to think it's impossible – she'll lose much of her effectivity fast as an eventual long-term starting PG. Hopefully McDonald has followed Canada's pro career even a little bit and is taking notes. Canada's the pure-PG version of McDonald, so because McDonald isn't as PG-like, she'll have to be a better all-around scorer than Canada. Though even if her ceiling in the W is a first-off-the-bench player, I think she'd excel in that kind of role with the overall energy she brings on both ends of the floor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 27 of 53

Jump to: