RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope there’s an endgame here somewhere. It’s not that I don’t like the players either. Richards is one of those intangible types that coaches love.

They’re keeping to their commitment of drafting character types. And that’s great. It’s just that the WNBA only allows you to have 12 players. Having half of them be of a similar physical prototype...well...they can’t all make the team. Or....can they???

So now what? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It sure looks like they’re planning on playing small ball this year though. I don’t see any other way any of this makes sense.

Unless you drafted Richards strictly to push the other guards in camp. Being a second-round pick, that’s possible. Like they said on the broadcast, that’s what second round picks sometimes do.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah I could see something like

(assuming no Han, Johannes and Durr can opt out)

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb/Richards
Laney/Onyenwere
Allen/Willoughby/(Odom, Holmes or Shook)
Howard/Stokes

I feel bad I like both Onyenwere and Richards but I don't want to see the sophomores lose their spots they had such a crap situation last season.

but
Onyenwere is a much better scorer than any of the sophomores on the bubble and Richarkd's is a much better defender than anyone on the bubble and we need both of those things. They can also both play 2 through 4 on this Liberty team.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Character is the #1 criteria. I hear Kolb tried to draft some Girl Scouts but they didn't meet the age requirement.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only person who thinks Michaela Onyenwere can learn a lot from Natasha Howard? Or do I just not know what the F I'm talking about? It's been known to happen.

I like Didi Richards' motor, don't get me wrong. You know I like defense. It's just that while we have a long proud history of defensive-minded players who can't shoot for beans, it is also no longer 1999 and there is no room for that one-dimensional a player anymore.

My understanding is that Valerie Higgins can shoot, and seeing her drafted made a bunch of my WCC fan friends happy. So I like the pick for that reason.

Did we take a stash pick because all the cool kids were doing it?

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, we've got quantity! The adjusted roster on the Liberty website now includes 18 players. Han isn't listed, but Johannes, Durr, and Kea are. Assuming that none of those four are in training camp, we've got the maximum of 15 and three will have to be cut.

Certainly seems like Kolb and Hopkins will be exploring trades.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

but
Onyenwere is a much better scorer than any of the sophomores on the bubble and Richarkd's is a much better defender than anyone on the bubble and we need both of those things. They can also both play 2 through 4 on this Liberty team.

Onyenwere can also defend, which perhaps makes Richard's even less needed.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks Michaela Onyenwere can learn a lot from Natasha Howard? Or do I just not know what the F I'm talking about? It's been known to happen.

I like Didi Richards' motor, don't get me wrong. You know I like defense. It's just that while we have a long proud history of defensive-minded players who can't shoot for beans, it is also no longer 1999 and there is no room for that one-dimensional a player anymore.

My understanding is that Valerie Higgins can shoot, and seeing her drafted made a bunch of my WCC fan friends happy. So I like the pick for that reason.

Did we take a stash pick because all the cool kids were doing it?

One of the reasons I wanted Mack is because I thought she could learn a lot from Howard. I don’t see Onyenwere as a 4 spot player but on this team who knows what the lineup will be?

Richards would at least give a third PG option but it would be at the expense of a second-year player. Honestly I’m dazed and baffled. No idea what to make of what comes next. Or what the lineup will look like.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not thrilled with our draft. I like the players like ya'll have said, but don't really understand the direction.

This is what I see if I'm a new NY fan:

Ionescu 5'11/Clarendon 5'9/Fauthoux 5'9
Durr 5'10 (when healthy)/Jones 6'0/Johannes 5'10/Whitcomb 5'10
Laney 6'0/(Allen 6'2)/Onyenwere 6'0/Willoughby 6'0/Richards 6'1/Higgins 6'1
Howard 6'2/Odom 6'2/Holmes 6'3
Stokes 6'3/Xu 6'9/Shook 6'4

That's 6, maybe 7 with Odom, players who are 3 spot players.

Knowing our 'system':

Ionescu 5'11/Clarendon 5'9
Jones 6'0/Whitcomb 5'10
Laney 6'0/Willoughby 6'0/Richards 6'1.....Odom 6'2/Higgins 6'1
(Allen 6'2)/Onyenwere 6'0
Howard 6'2/Stokes 6'3/Shook 6'4.............Holmes 6'3
*sitting out the season?: Durr, Johannes, Xu, Fauthoux
**FA/out: Raincock-Ekunwe, Kea

I really like Odom and maybe she keeps her spot over Richards, but I can see it going to Didi due to her playmaking and lead guard potential.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I know is if Stokes or Howard get hurt I feel like we’re in a lot of trouble. Especially Howard.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, can we even trade with anyone? It would seem to me teams are capped out.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richards would at least give a third PG option but it would be at the expense of a second-year player. Honestly I’m dazed and baffled. No idea what to make of what comes next. Or what the lineup will look like.

Ever since the Kolb/Hopkins regime was set, I've found many of their personnel moves to be perplexing. I'm not saying that as a criticism. It's too early to tell even on last year's moves. They've acted from the beginning like they have a very clear plan. I hope it proves to be brilliant.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

but

I feel like that would make Odom more expendable- she was praised for her defense, energy, athleticism and offensive rebounding.
Richards adds the playmaking/passing which Odom has potential in but maybe not as much as DiDi.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Onyenwere is a much better scorer than any of the sophomores on the bubble .

Coming out of college, Willoughby had better offensive numbers than Onyenwere across the board. And we know Jocelyn can shoot 3s. Management also claims to love her defense.

I think we should just turn this into a club or cult that worships wings. Cut anyone taller than 6-1 or shorter than 5-10. I guess we can grandfather in Howard at 6-2 because she played wing in high school.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

but

I feel like that would make Odom more expendable- she was praised for her defense, energy, athleticism and offensive rebounding.
Richards adds the playmaking/passing which Odom has potential in but maybe not as much as DiDi.

there are a ton of variables still but overall I feel like it is Richards vs Odom and Shook vs Holmes for the last two spots, and that is assuming Durr can opt out. If Durr is in play for the season probably both Richards and Odom are out. (Other variable is if Allen doesn't join the team but it feels like that is part of the plan for 21)

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Onyenwere is a much better scorer than any of the sophomores on the bubble .

Coming out of college, Willoughby had better offensive numbers than Onyenwere across the board. And we know Jocelyn can shoot 3s. Management also claims to love her defense.

I think we should just turn this into a club or cult that worships wings. Cut anyone taller than 6-1 or shorter than 5-10. I guess we can grandfather in Howard at 6-2 because she played wing in high school.

I think Willoughby is pretty safe but

this is one of those numbers vs eye test

IMO Onyenwere looks like a better scorer if I was choosing who I want to get the end of game basket Onyenwere would be my choice.

I like Willoughby and I readily admit I am drawn to flash or "it factor" and Onyenwere has a lot more flash and "It factor" IMO.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/15/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

there are a ton of variables still but overall I feel like it is Richards vs Odom and Shook vs Holmes for the last two spots, and that is assuming Durr can opt out. If Durr is in play for the season probably both Richards and Odom are out. (Other variable is if Allen doesn't join the team but it feels like that is part of the plan for 21)

Agreed! It's sad because I do get attached to all of our players Laughing Crying or Very sad

root_thing wrote:

Nope I think we gotta cut Howard.
Let's see....based on reported heights (I'm not convinced Sab and Jaz are over 5'10 but meh):
Ionescu 5'11
Jones 6'0
Laney 6'0
Richards 6'1
Onyenwere 6'0

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

You're really on to something here, but I believe you've missed a crucial part of the Kolb/Hopkins plan. In a few days, the WNBA will be passing a new rule for the 2021 season and beyond: players taller than 6'1" or shorter than 5'10" will be permanently banned from the league. Therefore it'll be our wings vs. everyone else's. And since we have SO MANY wings we'll have a huge advantage in depth.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Agreed! It's sad because I do get attached to all of our players Laughing Crying or Very sad

root_thing wrote:

Let's see....based on reported heights (I'm not convinced Sab and Jaz are over 5'10 but meh):
Ionescu 5'11
Jones 6'0
Laney 6'0
Richards 6'1
Onyenwere 6'0

Durr 5-10
Allen 6-1 (everywhere except WNBA.com)
Willoughby 6-0
Johannes 5-10
Higgins 6-1
Taylor 6-1... Huh? Asia Taylor is on the website roster! When did she join the team? They got that fourth Louisville player after all.

They screwed up with Fathoux. She's only 5-9 but maybe she's still growing.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couldn't remember much about Fauthoux, other than she plays with the other Marine in Europe and the French national team. Maybe she comes over with Johannes in the future? Potential backup lead guard of the future? lol

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/international-prospects-for-the-2021-wnba-draft

Quote:
Position: Guard
Club: LDLC ASVEL Feminin (FRA)

Working for Tony Parker in Lyon is a great position to be in as a young playmaker with a huge future. With a sky-high basketball IQ and such a composed outlook whenever she is on the floor, Fauthoux is destined to play again for France at the FIBA Women's EuroBasket Final Round and is a certainty to play and be a leader at Paris 2024 - although she may even sneak into contention for Tokyo as well after featuring in the Qualifying Tournament. At club level, she has already stepped into EuroLeague Women, playing alongside the exciting Marine Johannes.

That author considers her one of the best international prospects of this class, in order of how the author wrote the article but not specifically saying they rank this way:
Rupert (12th), Kuier (2nd), Fauthoux (29th), Heal (8th), Meldere (undrafted), Lisowa Mbaka (undrafted), Carrera (15th), Chagas (31st), honorable mentions: Wadoux, Chery, Fitik (all three undrafted)

Super short clip:
<iframe width="700" height="394" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r7lZIEtrfTs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

root_thing wrote:

Ionescu 5'11
Jones 6'0
Laney 6'0
Richards 6'1
Onyenwere 6'0

Durr 5-10
Allen 6-1 (everywhere except WNBA.com)
Willoughby 6-0
Johannes 5-10
Higgins 6-1
Taylor 6-1... Huh? Asia Taylor is on the website roster! When did she join the team? They got that fourth Louisville player after all.

They screwed up with Fathoux. She's only 5-9 but maybe she's still growing.

She is only 20 soooo just wait for that late growth spurt.....

The vision is clear now, we will be the new model for what the league will look like in the future, and Bob is right, the W will create a mandate stating you must be listed at 5'10-6'1.

All other players will be forced to be overpaid, overseas.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couldn't remember much about Fauthoux, other than she plays with the other Marine in Europe and the French national team. Maybe she comes over with Johannes in the future? Potential backup lead guard of the future? lol

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/international-prospects-for-the-2021-wnba-draft

I scouted and drafted Fauthoux for the backup lead guard role for Las Vegas in my Rebkell Fantasy Draft.. IdeaMr. Green

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just checking if there were any trades for a post player in the last hour. Guess not.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't watch the ESPN broadcast. I suspect they neglected to mention that the New York Liberty now leads the WNBA in Marines. Smile

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I was just checking if there were any trades for a post player in the last hour. Guess not.

Despite rumors otherwise, the 5-out appears to still be in.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I didn't watch the ESPN broadcast. I suspect they neglected to mention that the New York Liberty now leads the WNBA in Marines. Smile

For some reason I heard a lot of Collier, with no mention of the double Marines?

Coulda been Liberty related Collier chat, but the 6'5 height got in her way here I think...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 22 of 69

Jump to: