New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 02/05/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Watch they will put out a schedule with venues TBA Mad

Yeah, it will be much easier to secure a venue when you've got specific dates locked in.

well I again searched MSG's calendar and there's still a ton of available dates in July & August, so hopefully we get more than just 6 games at MSG.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s looking like Westchester but not confirmed.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 02/06/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s looking like Westchester but not confirmed.

For all games? Why not do the 6 or so games at MSG? THIS SUCKS!!!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not taking anything as fact that comes from anonymous, unconfirmed sources. But if indeed the Liberty will be playing the 2018 season at the Westchester County Center, I'd be grateful if someone could answer these questions. Is that arena within walking distance of the Metro North train station? If so, about how long a walk would it be? Many thanks.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I'm not taking anything as fact that comes from anonymous, unconfirmed sources. But if indeed the Liberty will be playing the 2018 season at the Westchester County Center, I'd be grateful if someone could answer these questions. Is that arena within walking distance of the Metro North train station? If so, about how long a walk would it be? Many thanks.

See if this helps.

http://www.countycenter.biz/about/directions.html

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

See if this helps.

http://www.countycenter.biz/about/directions.html

Thanks so much for posting this. It's very helpful.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, it’s not surprising to me at all. I figured MSG, Barclays or WCC were the only 3 options. If true (no reason I can think of that it wouldn’t be) then I’m not holding out much hope that the long-term future is stable. That’s the part that worries me way more than 2018.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Honestly, it’s not surprising to me at all. I figured MSG, Barclays or WCC were the only 3 options. If true (no reason I can think of that it wouldn’t be) then I’m not holding out much hope that the long-term future is stable. That’s the part that worries me way more than 2018.

I agree. I believe the long-term future can be better only if there is a new owner willing to shell out significant $$$ over at least a few years to rent dates for full seasons at the Garden or the Barclay Center and hope to build better attendance at one of those venues.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 02/06/18 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 02/06/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

My hope is two things 1.) We get a select few games at MSG & 2.) The new owner(s) has very deep pockets.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

My hope is two things 1.) We get a select few games at MSG & 2.) The new owner(s) has very deep pockets.

I predict #1 is true and #2 is partly true

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I agree. I believe the long-term future can be better only if there is a new owner willing to shell out significant $$$ over at least a few years to rent dates for full seasons at the Garden or the Barclay Center and hope to build better attendance at one of those venues.

I agree. And I believe it can be done. I wish I had the money.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Hope so. And I’ll add that a playoff run would be nice. Playoff runs have drawn additional attendance in the past.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Hope so. And I’ll add that a playoff run would be nice. Playoff runs have drawn additional attendance in the past.

well, let's get out of that first round this year and then we'll talk.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I agree. And I believe it can be done. I wish I had the money.

I'll chip in $1. Smile

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
toad455

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if this were an NBA team, we'd have an hour long coverage on Sportscenter right now regarding the situation. These things frustrate me about the league.

And I'll give Dolan this slight bit of credit. Whatever deal was supposed to happen clearly didn't. He had to options, keep the team and have them play in Westchester or fold the team. Be thankful we still have a team this season.

Last edited by toad455 on 02/06/18 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they had a deal done on Thursday, but then the stock market crashed. Wink

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also frustrated at the lack of free-agency player movement.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doug Feinberg is a reliable source:

https://apnews.com/bf30b0dd914e4a5d877a80149016a2c9/APNewsBreak:-Dolan,-Garden-keeping-WNBA's-Liberty-for-now

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
And I'll give Dolan this slight bit of credit. Whatever deal was supposed to happen clearly didn't. He had to options, keep the team and have them play in Westchester or fold the team. Be thankful we still have a team this season.

But he basically can't fold the team. If he just says "I'm done", the league decides who they want to hand it over to, and someone takes over. Given the multiple people interested I would assume they had some kind of idea about where they'd have played if nothing Dolan-controlled was on offer. It really all makes very little sense. If he has even one iota of a brain cell he can't have thought he was going to get a meaningful sum of money to purchase the franchise. And if he didn't think that, then what was he waiting for? If you just want shot of the team, hand it over to somebody and run away. I don't get it.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

But he basically can't fold the team. If he just says "I'm done", the league decides who they want to hand it over to, and someone takes over. Given the multiple people interested I would assume they had some kind of idea about where they'd have played if nothing Dolan-controlled was on offer. It really all makes very little sense. If he has even one iota of a brain cell he can't have thought he was going to get a meaningful sum of money to purchase the franchise. And if he didn't think that, then what was he waiting for? If you just want shot of the team, hand it over to somebody and run away. I don't get it.

My guess is that while there are interested buyers, no one is ready to pull the trigger yet. So, Borders asked Dolan if he could hold on to the club a little longer until things are worked out. Dolan agreed to do it, but only on his terms which meant sending the team to Westchester. Everyone else is waiting for a schedule, and the Liberty themselves have planning to do, so the League agreed to the arrangement. Something had to be done just to get forward movement going for this season.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think in the long run this might be better.

Secure a great owner who can get things done, and figure out how to get the team back in the city limits for 2019.

Instead of a rush job that might lead to failure.

Now we have a year to make that happen.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that we know we will have a New York Liberty team for 2018--playing mostly at the Westchester County Center with some games at Madison Square Garden--I'd like to return to the same questions I've been asking for a while. Who is going to run the front office? Will we get a General Manager? Is sexual harasser Isiah Thomas still working for the Liberty? (I dearly hope not.) It would be nice if someone working for Hideous Lord Jimmy could answer these questions, though I assume no one will.

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now that that is settled (I hope)

What do we do? Do we simply bring back our free agents, draft #10 and call it a day?

We've missed out on a lot of free agency. Rumors are out there but

Kizer and S. Johnson are the two un-signed (for now) players I would be going after

and maybe Latta

or do we try to get it done with trades

I could see some players being available depending on the direction their current team wants to go

my #1 target in this category would be Jefferson
followed by KCK
followed by Bonner (obviously a little more complicated but if PX decides to move on, and Indy doesn't make a decent offer, would PX trade her to NY? and would Bonner come?) Would NY also have to make a move for Dupree? (I'm not the biggest fan of Dupree but adding Bonner and Dupree for the right price could really move NY towards being a contender.)
The other small guard in Vegas? if not Jefferson, how about Plum?
Oh and new GM in Atlanta and having made some decent UFA acquisitions I could see someone like Clarendon, or maybe Hayes being available, and possibly McGhee-Stafford.
I doubt we could get in on the Howard competition, but a couple of years ago Zahui B and #10 could have got it done. Howard would probably start at the 3 in NY. (I don't really see it happening at all but since I was discussing her in another thread figure why not?
Colson is still out there, we might be able to get her for a decent contract and a no match, I wouldn't be too surprised if we could get her for a current or future 2nd round pick.

As a Deshields fan I would consider offering #10 and a player to move up in the draft. Any other player worth moving up for? G. Williams? Mitchell?

If we don't re-sign Vaughn where do we get the rest of our post depth?
Wait for the waiver wire?

Last edited by J-Spoon on 02/07/18 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

But he basically can't fold the team. If he just says "I'm done", the league decides who they want to hand it over to, and someone takes over

I don't follow why he can't just fold the team because "the league would assign an owner". How would that hurt him since he says he loses money on the Liberty?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/07/18 4:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

But he basically can't fold the team. If he just says "I'm done", the league decides who they want to hand it over to, and someone takes over

I don't follow why he can't just fold the team because "the league would assign an owner". How would that hurt him since he says he loses money on the Liberty?

I didn't say it would. The point was that he couldn't just disappear the team out of existence. He closes up the shop; the league takes the name and the squad and hands it over to its favourite option from the 'interested parties'. From his perspective he can just walk away, but that doesn't mean the team immediately dies as a result.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 22 of 90

Jump to: