80%  [ 17 ]
Liberty
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 09/03/19 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Johannes plays like she has been studying Stephon Curry. An impressive Euro.

She really is good!

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/03/19 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
scrappy wrote:
boyd, 1 on 3. still threw up shot. that's why the libs are where they are at now. not talent, it's brain that they don't have.

Boyd needs to go. Really don't want her in a Liberty uniform next season.

you see that last play with a few seconds left? SELFISH even when the score/game don't matter anymore. boyd has to go. but unfortunately katie smith will take the blame for the poor players' mindset.

I'm ready to move on from Boyd too, but let's be fair. Brittany is second in the league in assist percentage after only Vandersloot (Taurasi's 5 games don't qualify). Meanwhile, she's 85th in usage. That's hardly the stats of a selfish player. The knock on Boyd all year is that she doesn't shoot enough, so we can't turn around now and kill her for shooting too much. On that first drive, Brittany is not the first speedy guard who thought she could beat two defenders on a break (doubtful she saw the third defender behind her). The game ending drive started with an inbound pass with 5.6 seconds left. Not a lot of time to work with, and none of her teammates were making much of an effort to get open.

PostPosted: 09/03/19 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I'm ready to move on from Boyd too, but let's be fair. Brittany is second in the league in assist percentage after only Vandersloot (Taurasi's 5 games don't qualify). Meanwhile, she's 85th in usage. That's hardly the stats of a selfish player. The knock on Boyd all year is that she doesn't shoot enough, so we can't turn around now and kill her for shooting too much. On that first drive, Brittany is not the first speedy guard who thought she could beat two defenders on a break (doubtful she saw the third defender behind her). The game ending drive started with an inbound pass with 5.6 seconds left. Not a lot of time to work with, and none of her teammates were making much of an effort to get open.

Boyd isn't selfish. She's just not good enough to be a starting point guard in the WNBA.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 09/04/19 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Boyd isn't selfish. She's just not good enough to be a starting point guard in the WNBA.

I'm not sure she's good enough to be a backup. And tonight, Bria Hartley threw two of the most strangely weak passes I have ever seen. Our point guard situation is bad on an extreme level--is there any team that has it worse?

I asked before why I was even watching. I guess Johannes's performance rewarded me for my loyalty.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/04/19 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I'm not sure she's good enough to be a backup.

I get it, she’s not necessarily having a strong season for the Liberty and I agree with Bob, I don’t think she has the skills to warrant a starting position especially since she hasn’t really improved in any facets of her game.

Advanced stats amongst guards: 2nd in Steal %, 3rd in Assist %(as root stated), 4th in Assist Ratio, and 3rd in Rebound %. IMO, with those stats alone Boyd is at least good enough to be on someone’s bench.

And I’m not really a huge fan of +/-, but Boyd had the highest of anyone on the Liberty in this game.

PostPosted: 09/04/19 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I get it, she’s not necessarily having a strong season for the Liberty and I agree with Bob, I don’t think she has the skills to warrant a starting position especially since she hasn’t really improved in any facets of her game.

Advanced stats amongst guards: 2nd in Steal %, 3rd in Assist %(as root stated), 4th in Assist Ratio, and 3rd in Rebound %. IMO, with those stats alone Boyd is at least good enough to be on someone’s bench.

I believe that stats must be considered strongly to remove bias, but wow, that doesn't pass the eye test at all for me. At the start of the season, I considered both Hartley and Boyd to be quality backups, and I was hoping at least one of them would elevate themselves. Instead, they have been huge disappointments, Boyd to such a degree that I made my comment about her not being a backup. As far as I'm concerned, Boyd is a clear 3rd on the depth chart behind Tanisha Wright and Bria Hartley. Katie agrees with me, so maybe I'm wrong, but that is not impressive.

Since Boyd only plays one position, can't crack the top 2 in the worst PG depth chart in the WNBA (or is there somewhere I'm missing?), and shows no signs of improvement, is she really good enough to be on someone's bench?

Is there an advanced stat for turnovers? Smile I'm actually somewhat serious, is there?

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/04/19 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I believe that stats must be considered strongly to remove bias, but wow, that doesn't pass the eye test at all for me. At the start of the season, I considered both Hartley and Boyd to be quality backups, and I was hoping at least one of them would elevate themselves. Instead, they have been huge disappointments, Boyd to such a degree that I made my comment about her not being a backup. As far as I'm concerned, Boyd is a clear 3rd on the depth chart behind Tanisha Wright and Bria Hartley. Katie agrees with me, so maybe I'm wrong, but that is not impressive.

Since Boyd only plays one position, can't crack the top 2 in the worst PG depth chart in the WNBA (or is there somewhere I'm missing?), and shows no signs of improvement, is she really good enough to be on someone's bench?

Is there an advanced stat for turnovers? Smile I'm actually somewhat serious, is there?

Dallas has got to be the worst, no?

NYSports56

PostPosted: 09/04/19 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Dallas has got to be the worst, no?

Arike Ogunbowale's their starting PG right now, isn't she? As for the depth behind Arike, Dallas is indeed weak right now; I'm not sure Brooke McCarty-Williams is any better than Boyd. She's younger though, so I think I'd rather have her on my team to see if maybe she can improve in the ways that Boyd has not.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/04/19 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that gray barely played

Looks like raincock allen and johannes got the microscope minutes Han as well...funny thing bout that is with an Olympic year I'd only expect Allen to be back and then only part time...raincock took off last year for WC Johannes and han have more value to country than club

That said new CBA may turn that on its head so stay tuned

Gonna play keep an or dump an here and now to stay positive and celebratory Friday for fan night last game at WCC (or else) and spoon HOF

Johannes has the potential but she has to stay here get stronger and learn the us style better or shell always be that flashy novelty on the high bench...that said that's way above dumeric s year im Atlanta

Han I think can be an everyday center in 5 years again needs to bulk up amd lean to the American game

For both unless something major changes in CBA not gonna happen

Boyd isn't as good as her numbers but also isn't as bad as her worst moments...im no one's apologist but boyd has had no bigger advocate for her development than I have over time...but I've even reached the conclusion she's never gonna be more than a top reserve pg in this league...too inconsistent and needs to harness her fire better too many dumb Ts or spiking the ball and carrying on for a true leader of a club which is part of being a pg

Allen ive beem down on for years but she turned a corner this year id keep even if we only get half a season

Wright did a lot...but Friday...take the bow kiss the logo and move on to coaching...its time to move on...grear long career no shame only great memories but shes given all she can

Hartley I've soured on...get what you can and part ways peacefully just not consistent enough to be a starter

Zahui id keep but that's also depends on what free agency turns into...with CTs plethora of expiring contracts if you get a shot to steal a big with talent you say Zahui and Charles be damned you get one of em CBA explains so much about our situation will really determine what will happen for us what coach we get etc

Charles keep but with a huge asterisk of if there's quality at the 4 you grab it and prepare for the near future...shes near the wall needs a 2nd and 3rd option and putting a young good 4 behind her to limit minutes maximizes her not belittles her

Raincock is what she is hustle and heart with enough skill to be useful...invite to camp should have better

Gray had a great year for her and saved our bacon with stokes sitting out...id invite to camp but likeky stokes returns to reclaim this spot

Durr...was it that serious were other things at play...if Atlanta nakes an offer listen but sell HIGH still has potential and I think the right coach will help keep unless something boffo is offered

Nurse enough start to make all star....then...almost less than zero at times beat out by allen...still see her as a 3 but gotta show a lot in 3rd year...new coach should help keep but don't be shy if anything good crops up the top 2 were forged in depth...i think this will be the way of the new cba
Also will need to weigh team canada in this but we shall see

Dump Katie not even a question same with herb and Farris the 64000 dollar question is do you elevate spoon or let her go as well... this toe in the water approach has not worked at all. Not under bill worse under Katie...but she's tough to just dump...so do you give her the keys or do you go for a veteran w coach a lot depends om this decision

So locks for me

Charles
Nurse*
Zahui
Allen*

*likeky partial season due to NT commitments

Move only for top dollar

Durr

Bring to camp but shop for better in free agency/draft

Gray
Raincock* unless she sits for NT

Retain rights but let sit for 2020 olympic duty

Johannes
Han

Dump

Boyd
Hartley
Wright (retirement)
Katie and all staff

Spoon either EARNS hc or gets reassigned away from the coaching staff no more ms in between!

Returning

Stokes

Expect 2 picks to make roster yes we need inoescu almost or bust

Leaving 4 open spots for free agents...thats high for the W but roster needs impactful change....and I feel the new CBA will be dealing from a different deck than we are used to when it comes to free agency

PostPosted: 09/04/19 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For about half the season, Boyd was second in the league in assists with an assist-to-turnover ratio over 2. Usually, that's considered really good performance for a PG. However, the knock on Brittany was that she scored less than 6 ppg. When things started going downhill for the team as a whole, Boyd tried to step-up. However, because she can't shoot, Brittany could only respond by driving more and trying to execute aggressive passes. This was her weird version of heroball. Well, both of those maneuvers led to a proliferation in turnovers. With Boyd's offensive game, less is usually more. She plays her best when calm and conservative. I honestly believe Brittany will be fine if she ends up on a good offensive team that doesn't need her scoring. But in an already clumsy, inconsistent NY offense, she tends to exacerbate the problems.

I'm going to make my comments about the roster on the Liberty thread.

PostPosted: 09/04/19 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I believe that stats must be considered strongly to remove bias, but wow, that doesn't pass the eye test at all for me.

I get it, when you’re playing for a struggling team weaknesses get magnified. I’d take Boyd on the Sky, she’s definitely better equipped as a back-up then Gabby Williams(while she has handled it better than expected) and Faulkner(who still doesn’t seem 100%).

NYSports56 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, Boyd is a clear 3rd on the depth chart behind Tanisha Wright and Bria Hartley. Katie agrees with me, so maybe I'm wrong, but that is not impressive.

LMAO, when you have to use Smith as somewhat of an endorsement you know it’s been a slow year.

NYSports56 wrote:

Bentley, Carzola, Dietrick, McCarty-Williams, Kaela Davis, Hiedeman, Arica Carter, Tayler Hill were all at some point on someone’s bench. I think Boyd is better than all of them.

Can’t believe I’m actually defending a back-up. Slow day at the office. Laughing

NYSports56 wrote:

Yes, and I think she actually leads the league(turnover ratio) in terms of qualifications(minutes and games played). Laughing

PostPosted: 09/04/19 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

Durr...was it that serious were other things at play...if Atlanta nakes an offer listen but sell HIGH still has potential and I think the right coach will help keep unless something boffo is offered

Is Atlanta's first round pick enough? If not, what else to add or what other deal do you have in mind. I send Angel north for Durr fwiw.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/04/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
For about half the season, Boyd was second in the league in assists with an assist-to-turnover ratio over 2. Usually, that's considered really good performance for a PG. However, the knock on Brittany was that she scored less than 6 ppg. When things started going downhill for the team as a whole, Boyd tried to step-up. However, because she can't shoot, Brittany could only respond by driving more and trying to execute aggressive passes. This was her weird version of heroball. Well, both of those maneuvers led to a proliferation in turnovers. With Boyd's offensive game, less is usually more. She plays her best when calm and conservative. I honestly believe Brittany will be fine if she ends up on a good offensive team that doesn't need her scoring. But in an already clumsy, inconsistent NY offense, she tends to exacerbate the problems.

I'm going to make my comments about the roster on the Liberty thread.

This is an excellent analysis. But even on a good offensive team Boyd's poor shooting would be a problem. That team wouldn't need her scoring. Quite true. But, as with teams facing the Liberty, defenders against the good offensive team would be able to leave Boyd alone for open jumpers and help out against the good scorers.

This is why I don't see Boyd as a starting point guard anywhere. I think she's good enough to be a backup point guard for the Liberty (if there's a coach that can give her solid guidance) or elsewhere.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/04/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Is Atlanta's first round pick enough? If not, what else to add or what other deal do you have in mind. I send Angel north for Durr fwiw.

Ill take the 1 over mcoughtry and her bad knees and worse attitude

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Works for me.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I'm invoking the Sidney Spencer rule here. We're not trading a lottery pick until we know it's not the #1.

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I'm invoking the Sidney Spencer rule here. We're not trading a lottery pick until we know it's not the #1.

Fair enough, but you know that if the Dream get the No. 1 pick it is a sure sign they are moving to SF.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Wonder if they might add the ability to put 'protection' on picks in trades in the next CBA. The problem is that it'll complicate things, which always opens up extra possibilities for people to screw up (both on individual teams and in the league office).

PostPosted: 09/04/19 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Fair enough, but you know that if the Dream get the No. 1 pick it is a sure sign they are moving to SF.

Maya will be moving to SF. McCoughtry to PF or SG. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pasteurize

PostPosted: 09/06/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Katie agrees with me, so maybe I'm wrong

I read this and laughed for a solid thirty seconds. Thanks for that. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: