63%
 63%  [ 12 ]
Liberty
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

toad455

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty sadly set a record tonight. Lowest attended game in league history with 1,516. Wonder if this record will be broken again by the Liberty this season. Embarassed Sad Embarassed Sad

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

35 points in the 4th by the NY Liberty Surprised Shame, Wings defence. Shame on you.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, oh, oh, what a shock!
More no D from Freddie Cinder Block.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oh, oh, oh, what a shock!
More no D from Freddie Cinder Block.

Freddie's dread, that's what I said.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Fred Williams team lost a close game? What were the odds?

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libs definitely got a little help from the refs in this one...but they did manage to hit some big buckets...and win.

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/29/18 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A Fred Williams team lost a close game? What were the odds?

You can't blow a close game without first turning your sizeable lead into a small one, so credit to him for that as well.

Bec Allen with the game's best +/- for what that is worth (very little, typically)

PostPosted: 05/29/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Libs definitely got a little help from the refs in this one...but they did manage to hit some big buckets...and win.

Made up for first three quarters.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We know what the culprits have been in the past for Dallas. Fourth quarter D and offensive stagnation. The stagnation wasn’t that much of an issue (though Nurse’s ball denial on Diggins helped slow the offense) but the D was.

Give NY credit for showing heart and determination too though. Without Nurse’s grit on both ends they do not win this game. Credit to Tina and Z for big shots and big-time offensive plays. But Nurse was just as huge.

I think at full strength the depth of this team and the ability to have a wide range of lineups is going to make us tough to beat.

PostPosted: 05/29/18 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
F.Williams bum ass should be fired.

The offense,defense,substitutions,late game strategy......just terrible.

+ ALL OF THOSE omg i think i need to bring back "Drop Dead Fred"

PostPosted: 05/29/18 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FG attempts per game--FG%:
Diggins:15.8--36.7%
Cambage:12.8--57.8%
Gray:6.0--33.3%
KCK:5.4--44.4%
Davis:7.8--33.3%

Dallas' shot distribution is just pathetic.Skylar seems more concerned with getting her offense first,rather than setting up Cambage and the rest of her teammate.SD and Coach Williams must do a better job of creating offense for Gray/Davis...Establishing Cambage as the #1 option should also be a top priority...Skylar took ill-advised jump shots without passing the ball multiple times in this game.Maybe it would be better if Diggins moved over to the SG position.Gray isn't exactly lighting it up.....But of course,Dallas would first have to acquire a starting caliber point guard....and that's not happening anytime soon.

This was a very bad loss....17 point first half lead.14 point lead with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter against the struggling,shorthanded Liberty..It's still early...And the Wings are also playing shorthanded.So i'll try not to overreact.....but man,Dallas had a 14 pt late 3rd quarter lead Sad

pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the first quarter, when the Wings looked so good, Cambage took three shots (one of which was a heave at the buzzer). Thornton got most of the action, with six of her nine shots coming in that quarter. In the 4th, when the Wings were melting down, Cambage was much more involved in the offense while Thornton was MIA.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a Liberty fan but I will say that phantom call on Diggins at the end was awful.

OTOH Charles found a chink in Cambage's armor taking her to the perimeter. I doubt that works if GloJo is there.

NY Vets pulled it out in the end. That is why I said I take the Wings on paper but NY on the court. Charles, Zellous and even Coleman just played well at the end, and Nurse has vet smarts as part of her intangibles rookie package.

Dallas will be scary by the end of the year with Johnson, Powers and Plaisance back on the floor. And Dallas should be looking to Cambage earlier and more often.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
what has changed in Fred's offense that has frozen out Gray's offensive production?

Sophmore Slump and Kaela Davis's quiet resurgence has been much needed. This is where we miss AP , when Gray is off which she's been ALL season so far, we could get AP in there and hit some mid range shots. I trust her shot more so than Davis or Gray .

If you're a believer in +/-, Gray led the team tonight at +12 while Davis was second worst (behind Stevens) at -18

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/29/18 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
We know what the culprits have been in the past for Dallas. Fourth quarter D and offensive stagnation. The stagnation wasn’t that much of an issue (though Nurse’s ball denial on Diggins helped slow the offense) but the D was.

Give NY credit for showing heart and determination too though. Without Nurse’s grit on both ends they do not win this game. Credit to Tina and Z for big shots and big-time offensive plays. But Nurse was just as huge.

I think at full strength the depth of this team and the ability to have a wide range of lineups is going to make us tough to beat.

Great job by Charles and Zellous. I know we've been warned against this, but I'm sticking with my enthusiasm for Kia Nurse. Smile

PostPosted: 05/29/18 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
In the first quarter, when the Wings looked so good, Cambage took three shots (one of which was a heave at the buzzer). Thornton got most of the action, with six of her nine shots coming in that quarter. In the 4th, when the Wings were melting down, Cambage was much more involved in the offense while Thornton was MIA.

Dallas built a 58-44 lead with 16 minutes left in the game

Last 16 minutes of the game:

Cambage:12p/5-7/2-3/5r/2a/3t
Diggins: 4p/1-6/1-1/2a/2t

Diggins shot 2 for 11 after the hot 4-5 start

Yes,Cambage played her role in the meltdown...But she was still getting buckets.

Plus/Minus for the game:
Cambage +11
Diggins 0

zune69

PostPosted: 05/29/18 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm a Liberty fan but I will say that phantom call on Diggins at the end was awful.

I just watched the replay.....I agree with you...There was minimal contact...not enough to call a foul.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/30/18 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Great job by Charles and Zellous. I know we've been warned against this, but I'm sticking with my enthusiasm for Kia Nurse. Smile

Have to give NYL credit. He said Nurse was going to be an impact player her rookie year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. And so far she has been. Cool

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/30/18 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I just watched the replay.....I agree with you...There was minimal contact...not enough to call a foul.

I just re-watched it. There was certainly more contact than on the Allen foul where Dallas tied the game. More tellingly, Diggins barely reacts. She lightly claps her hands, then turns around and walks up the court quietly. Skylar is normally very animated, so that tells me she agreed.

Dallas fans would be better off complaining about the walk by Allen before she passed to Zellous for the go-ahead three. But then NY could complain about the phantom second foul on Nurse or that ridiculous fourth foul on Hartley where she gets hip-checked to the floor by Davis. That was a clear foul the other way. In other words, we had bad calls on both sides.

It was a flukey game. Two bad 3Pt shooting teams made a bunch of 3's -- Dallas in the 1st & 3rd quarters, New York in the 4th. The turning point was when Fred took out Diggins and Cambage at the end of the 3rd Quarter. Just prior to that, Cambage was killing NY down low. The Liberty had absolutely no answer. Liz's bench time ended up being about 3 minutes, and it was 3.5 minutes for Skylar (plus the break between quarters). That turned out to be too long. By the time they returned, NY had cut the lead in half and retaken the momentum. Then, the Liberty went to an NBA-like small, spread-the-floor line-up, which worked because they hit their 3's. On defense, it gave NY quicker players who could double down low and still recover on the perimeter. They were also more adept at jumping passing lanes and creating loose balls.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't watched this game yet, but Coleman's stat line looks pretty good. So far, she's been putting up pretty solid stats, and she hasn't been committing too many blunders. Though it's obviously too early to call, it seems like acquiring her wasn't a terrible move. At the very least, some of the opinions expressed about her when she was signed aren't completely aligning with the performance we're getting thus far. I'm not mad about it.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/30/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pasteurize wrote:
I haven't watched this game yet, but Coleman's stat line looks pretty good. So far, she's been putting up pretty solid stats, and she hasn't been committing too many blunders. Though it's obviously too early to call, it seems like acquiring her wasn't a terrible move. At the very least, some of the opinions expressed about her when she was signed aren't completely aligning with the performance we're getting thus far. I'm not mad about it.

As someone else on this board said, I'd rather be happy than right. Smile

Coleman has shot the ball pretty well in the last two games. So far, she's been fine while facing the basket. In the first game, she tried posting up and totally missed the rim 4 or 5 times. There were a couple of fadeaway airballs, and the rest were creative bank shots that banged too hard off the glass. We don't need anything fancy from Marissa. If she just makes jump shots at a respectable rate, that's enough.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pasteurize wrote:

Coleman has shot the ball pretty well in the last two games. So far, she's been fine while facing the basket. In the first game, she tried posting up and totally missed the rim 4 or 5 times. There were a couple of fadeaway airballs, and the rest were creative bank shots that banged too hard off the glass. We don't need anything fancy from Marissa. If she just makes jump shots at a respectable rate, that's enough.

I wasn't thrilled with the signing but I made my peace with it immediately as it was clear she was making the final roster. You don't often sign vets at a position of need and see them get cut.

With that said she has done what she is supposed to do as a vet coming to a new team. She has fit in, filled her role, and had the change of scenery uptick you sometimes get in those situations. So overall I'm happy with the signing.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pasteurize wrote:

Your deeper point at the time was actually correct given the context. Coleman was talked about as a 4 spot player and actually used at the 4 spot on opening night. And it hurt us. And you were rightfully skeptical about her in that role immediately. Since then she’s been used exclusively at the 3...in a Katie Smith offense of driving and kicking out. It’s well suited to Coleman’s main positive attribute. I think the question at the time regarded mainly how she’d be used. Now that it turns out she’s being used in accordance with her positive attributes it looks a lot better than it did at first.

And...it’s early. I think she’ll be ok but who’s to say how such a streaky shooter will perform long-term? Plus side, she (and other shooters) have gotten a lot of open looks. I really like the style of play. I just wish we could see all the members of the team play in it.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/30/18 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding officiating. Late in the 4th, Dallas had shot 28 FTs to NY’s 12 before Tina was fouled on purpose twice. Dallas shot more 3s than NY, so I don’t even think it was a matter of penetrating more.

It’s whatever, but I don’t think Dallas got the short end of the officiating.

PostPosted: 05/30/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Have to give NYL credit. He said Nurse was going to be an impact player her rookie year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. And so far she has been. Cool

Thank you. I think honestly some of it has been situational. She’s had a lot of minutes at all 3 perimeter spots (esp 1 and 2)...minutes she might not have gotten due to injury. And...I’m just partial to players like her who tend to do a variety of things well and play high IQ ball. She’s my fav player due to the extra fire she has. And she gives the Libs much needed versatility in a highly talented league this year.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: