RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA free-agency winners and losers (ESPN)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/07/18 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
They probably would have lost her anyway. Storm just couldnt take the risk of offering her max and the small chance of Lynx maxing that

Except that they could. Yeah, you risk that they just match and keep her, but I see that as a smaller risk than what they gave up in the trade. Maybe you have to find a Plan B without Howard, but that's okay. You throw some money at a Kizer or Peters, or make a better offer for Bone than Vegas did. There were alternatives if necessary. Instead they take a significant risk that if things don't go well this season, they get nothing much out of it at the end to help in 2019 and onwards.

PostPosted: 04/07/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
They probably would have lost her anyway. Storm just couldnt take the risk of offering her max and the small chance of Lynx maxing that

Except that they could. Yeah, you risk that they just match and keep her, but I see that as a smaller risk than what they gave up in the trade. Maybe you have to find a Plan B without Howard, but that's okay. You throw some money at a Kizer or Peters, or make a better offer for Bone than Vegas did. There were alternatives if necessary. Instead they take a significant risk that if things don't go well this season, they get nothing much out of it at the end to help in 2019 and onwards.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the move either. You want to be pretty confident in what she is going to provide before making that investment, and I am not. There's a lot of difference between having the luxury to pick your spots while surrounded by all-stars, and being relied on to play a major role.
Hopefully the Storm are right and I'm wrong about her. They can't afford another Swords-type setback.

PostPosted: 04/07/18 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Yeah i agree completely with you. I dont like this trade at all but i think this is what the GM probably thought. Apparently she is so high on Howard that she was not willing to risk Lynx matching the offer and confident of the Storm making the playoffs with Howard.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/07/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
With Diana Taurasi's retirement in sight, trading the eighth pick in this year's deep draft for Briann January was a worthwhile gamble. The Mercury need someone to guard the likes of Los Angeles' Chelsea Gray and Minnesota's Maya Moore in the playoffs, and January is up to the task.

...what?

Quote:
Other winners
Los Angeles Sparks
Sparks announced the signing of 35-year-old Cappie Pondexter

hahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/18 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Yeah i agree completely with you. I dont like this trade at all but i think this is what the GM probably thought. Apparently she is so high on Howard that she was not willing to risk Lynx matching the offer and confident of the Storm making the playoffs with Howard.

I don't know the situation or anyone involved, but even if Seattle offered her, she would actually have to sign it to make Minnesota have to match, so isn't it possible she talked to Minnesota and she told them she wanted to play for Seattle for whatever reason, or there are some other things going on behind the scenes with the agent, the player and the teams involved as opposed to just Seattle approaching Minnesota without talking or offering Natasha first.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/09/18 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I don't know the situation or anyone involved, but even if Seattle offered her, she would actually have to sign it to make Minnesota have to match, so isn't it possible she talked to Minnesota and she told them she wanted to play for Seattle for whatever reason, or there are some other things going on behind the scenes with the agent, the player and the teams involved as opposed to just Seattle approaching Minnesota without talking or offering Natasha first.

Yeah, if Howard absolutely wanted out of Minnesota then that would complicate things, because as an RFA she has to agree to any deal. But if she just wanted to get paid, and then either be part of the future in Seattle or the presumed heir apparent to Brunson in Minnesota, they all could've just done it as an offer sheet and dared Minnesota to match. Considering Seattle's best player plays the same position as her (kinda), it's not like she's leaving for a definite starting spot or certain heavier minutes. Or for a better chance at a ring.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: