RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2011 WNBA Mock Draft 4.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bretter

PostPosted: 03/08/11 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dynasty0207 wrote:
I'm waiting for Tulsa to make moves, at least with re-signing their free agents. With Cambage and Black at the 5 spot, does Tulsa need to re-sign Ohlde? Where else would you see her fitting in?

Tulsa has quite a few free agents.

Call me crazy, but I still think Ohlde would be a good fit in ATL if they are without the services of Leuchanka..

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/11 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Myrtle, thank you for announcing that Chasity Reed was playing this afternoon. I rushed to the tv to watch her. Your assessment of her is accurate. She is so thin she makes DeWanna Bonner look fat! Her mid range shot is good and she shoots with good form. I do question her strength and quickness. She was quick enough to get her shot off in this league but can she do that in the W? Hmmnn? I believe she will be drafted in the third round or she will not get drafted but will get invited to some teams training camp.

I take it you wouldn't be too high on Lauren Prochaska. There's a game archived on espn3.com if you want to do one of your one-game analysis

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/09/11 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bretter wrote:
dynasty0207 wrote:
I'm waiting for Tulsa to make moves, at least with re-signing their free agents. With Cambage and Black at the 5 spot, does Tulsa need to re-sign Ohlde? Where else would you see her fitting in?

Tulsa has quite a few free agents.

Call me crazy, but I still think Ohlde would be a good fit in ATL if they are without the services of Leuchanka..

Musical back-up chairs (Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle or Tulsa) with Nicole Ohde, Ashley Robinson & Christi Thomas.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/11 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Krystal Thomas and Cetera DeGraffenreid get drafted, then Chastity will definitely have her name called. Nolan Richardson went to Arkansas-LR, maybe she goes to Tulsa with the 21st pick?

PostPosted: 03/09/11 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades, who is Lauren P.?

PostPosted: 03/09/11 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
If Krystal Thomas and Cetera DeGraffenreid get drafted, then Chastity will definitely have her name called. Nolan Richardson went to Arkansas-LR, maybe she goes to Tulsa with the 21st pick?

I guess that would be a real possibility...they also have the #25 pick.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/09/11 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Nolan Richardson coached at the University of Arkansas (Razorbacks) in Fayetteville (NCAA Championship 1994), he played ball at Texas Western which is now called UTEP.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/11 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Nolan Richardson coached at the University of Arkansas (Razorbacks) in Fayetteville (NCAA Championship 1994), he played ball at Texas Western which is now called UTEP.

Oh, that kills that notion then.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/09/11 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the third time I've seen Reed, and I still like her. First of all, she isn't that thin. She just looks really thin because she's basically a 3 forced to defend bulky 4's and 5's. That's because ULAR -- like many mid-majors -- doesn't have much size. Their starting center is 6-0. I've seen a lot of medium shots of Reed on the bench, and she's not nearly as thin as Bonner. Could she use some weight? Yes, but I don't think it's a huge problem if she plays SF.

In terms of speed, I agree that there are definite questions. She always trails her teammates when they fast break, and I've never seen her do anything other than jog up court. Is she just slow? Is she lazy? Well, I know the coach has her on a short leash, so I doubt Reed is dogging it. And I learned during the second game that she's been playing with a stress fracture in one foot. The announcers said that it was hampering her jumping ability and throwing off her shot. I also read recently that she suffered sprains in both ankles this season. Maybe that's had a lingering effect? Perhaps someone who saw her last season can comment. However, the fact that she has mostly been playing defense against slow post players also raises questions about how she will fare defending against real SF's.

Offensively, Reed is definitely a one-dimensional scorer. No 3-pointers, no drives to the hoop. However, within that one dimension she looks pretty good to me. I don't see why she wouldn't get off her shot at the next level. She's 6-1, jumps pretty well even when injured, has a quick release, and she's able to adjust her shot to the defender's actions. I've seen her make shots fading away, falling to the side, leaning in... She just gets the defender to move a little in one direction, and then she quickly jumps and shoots. There aren't that many female players who can shoot that well without setting their feet and squaring up. Essentially, she can create her own shot -- that rarest of skills. Now, in order to take full advantage of that at the next level, she will have to learn to take it to the hoop sometimes. I'm not suggesting that she can simply live on that mid-range jumper. But think about it, how many players in the women's game really shoot contested jumpers all the time and make them? Mostly, you see people shooting open three pointers -- often barely jumping and with low release points. Those are the players who couldn't get off a shot while closely guarded, and I can think of some who have become all-stars. In addition to the mid-range jumper, Reed appears be a very good passer, and from an intangibles point of view she looks very competitive.

I'm not suggesting that Reed is any sure thing. I just think that she's reasonably interesting and worthy of even a high second round pick. This is a draft where you have a lot of very obviously flawed players being considered for the first round, so it's not like the competition is all that great out there.

PostPosted: 03/09/11 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you Root_thing for your analysis of Chasity Reed. She does remind me of this player that used to play for Robert Morris a few years ago. I believe her name is Sade Logan.

PostPosted: 03/09/11 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I take it you wouldn't be too high on Lauren Prochaska. There's a game archived on espn3.com if you want to do one of your one-game analysis

This wasn't directed at me but I also have an opinion about her, so why not expound. Smile

First, about Reed, I agree with Root that she's not in the realm of Bonner skinny. Some things about her remind me a little of Kate Starbird, if anybody remembers her. And she does have that one nice dimension to her game. She also seems to have an attitude problem in terms of how she interacts with her teammates.

Prochaska: Unfortunately her injury late this year has really severely hurt her chances of getting much of a look in the W. When healthy she was an extremely reliable long range shooter and is a good defender, at least in college. Yes she is too skinny, like Taylor Lilley, but scrawniness for a shooting guard is not as severe of an impediment as for a post. Before the injury, I thought Prochaska had a shot at making the tail end of a roster. Now I doubt it. I hope she plays in Europe and maybe gets another look down the road.

nolanNaugustus!

PostPosted: 03/09/11 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm very anxious to see the Lynx, Liberty, and Sky this year.

*** some people hate seeing others succeed***

Jay-Z - "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man!"
RP

PostPosted: 03/10/11 2:37 pm    ::: Lauren Prochaska Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I hope she plays in Europe and maybe gets another look down the road.

“I definitely want to keep playing professionally, whether it’s in the WNBA or overseas,” Prochaska said.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/10/11 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She also seems to have an attitude problem in terms of how she interacts with her teammates.

Prochaska: Unfortunately her injury late this year has really severely hurt her chances of getting much of a look in the W. When healthy she was an extremely reliable long range shooter and is a good defender, at least in college. Yes she is too skinny, like Taylor Lilley, but scrawniness for a shooting guard is not as severe of an impediment as for a post. Before the injury, I thought Prochaska had a shot at making the tail end of a roster. Now I doubt it. I hope she plays in Europe and maybe gets another look down the road.

More than once I've seen Reed literally shove a teammate toward an opposing player when she didn't think they were in the right defensive position. It's pretty shocking when you see it, but the announcers keep insisting that her teammates love it. Laughing The person who seems to have a bit of a problem with Reed is the coach. That's why I don't think she'll get drafted by Tulsa.

As far as Prochaska goes, it does seem like the injury is hampering her. I thought there was a noticeable drop in mobility between the first and second times I saw her.

PostPosted: 03/10/11 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Jenna Plumley isnt on a W team, I will be shocked. She has as good a court vision as anyone in the draft, including Vandersloot. Heck she has as good a court vision anyone in the W.

And she can make treys.

If she were on a top program like Oklahoma still, she would be getting much more attention.

PostPosted: 03/10/11 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disagree. Jenna is spectacular but that doesn't always mean the results are great. Her %'s are not steady and she gets too many TOs. For instance today she was 5-21 from the field including 2-11 from 3 with 3 assists, 5 TOs and 5 fouls...not exactly the line I'm looking for playing in a 'minor' conference.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/11 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
If Jenna Plumley isnt on a W team, I will be shocked. She has as good a court vision as anyone in the draft, including Vandersloot. Heck she has as good a court vision anyone in the W.

And she can make treys.

If she were on a top program like Oklahoma still, she would be getting much more attention.

Has she grown taller or is she still 5'3?

Most people hate poetry
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/10/11 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suspicions lead me to believe Cambage is not coming so here's my guesses:

1.Minnesota Lynx______Maya Moore________PF, UConn
2. Tulsa Shock________Jantel Lavender____ C, Ohio St.
3. Chicago Sky _______Danielle Robinson___ PG, Oklahoma
4. Minnesota Lynx_____TShia Phillips______ C, Xavier
5. Los Angeles________Jasmine Thomas____ PG, Duke
6. San Antonio________Victoria Dunlap_____ PF, Kentucky
7. Tulsa Shock________Kayla Pedersen_____ F, Stanford
8. Atlanta Dream______Courtney Vandersloot, PG, Gonzaga
9. Indiana Fever_______Jessica Breland_______PF, UNC
10. New York Liberty___Amber Harris________PF, Xavier
11. Washington_______Carolyn Swords______ C, Boston College
12. Seattle Storm_____ Jeanette Pohlen_____ SG, Stanford
[/size]

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/10/11 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can people tell me what they see in Jeanette Pohlen? The impression I got from watching her this season is that she really isn't that good of a defender, unathletic, and shoots a lot for a PG. Not saying she doesn't deserve to be a first round pick, even though this is the only good year she's had at Stanford, just want to know people's opinions.

PostPosted: 03/10/11 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz is coming over. No question.

mannman

PostPosted: 03/11/11 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Can people tell me what they see in Jeanette Pohlen? The impression I got from watching her this season is that she really isn't that good of a defender, unathletic, and shoots a lot for a PG. Not saying she doesn't deserve to be a first round pick, even though this is the only good year she's had at Stanford, just want to know people's opinions.

I like Pohlen because she performs well when the game is on the line. She is not afraid to take the big shot, and has been fairly successful. I can see her as a capable, off the bench, shooting guard for the right team.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/11/11 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

[/size]

LOL, Amber Harris at 10?

mannman

PostPosted: 03/11/11 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

[/size]

What suspicions are those, when she has done interviews indicating otherwise?

dynasty0207

PostPosted: 03/11/11 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tully told me last Saturday that Liz is coming for sure.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/11/11 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dynasty0207 wrote:
Liz is coming over. No question.

She'd be drafted whether she showed up for the 2011 draft or not.
Since she says the flights are booked, might as well come over & enjoy the experience (it will only happen once) & get in the vacation/holiday trip to the States her Mom is looking forward to.

What is left to be questioned is WHEN she will actually play in the WNBA. Which team ends up w/her rights may effect her decision.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: