RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft Prospects Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I deleted my addendum of '...if she even gets past Minnesota.' Harris over Appel (rather than Wright) probably isn't beyond the realms of possibility either.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Based on what I'm seeing tonight I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Christon/Harris/Fowles as Chicago's starting frontcourt if she declares.

Harris is the bomb. Would Minny select Harris over Wright though?

Would they select her over Appel, who has been totally umimpressive in this head-to-head matchup.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dynasty0207

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like chicago's guard situation..

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Based on what I'm seeing tonight I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Christon/Harris/Fowles as Chicago's starting frontcourt if she declares.

Would they select her over Appel, who has been totally umimpressive in this head-to-head matchup.

Appel's draft stock is plummeting. Unless Minny really, really wants her, she's not a top 3 pick right now.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Appel's draft stock is plummeting. Unless Minny really, really wants her, she's not a top 3 pick right now.

Dropping all the way to 8th. Wink

dynasty0207

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though Appel may be the best available player at the 4th and 5th selections, I feel she may drop to the Mystics based on team needs.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/29/10 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I fully admit that I haven't seen enough of Appel, and I know I'm falling into the trap practically all analysts do of only comparing players to others with the same skin colour, but I can't help looking at Appel and seeing Ohlde Mark 2. Griffith already drafted her once and it didn't work out so well...

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
Shades wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I have a feeling if Appel drops the Stanford East Coast Connection will snatch her up. I like Mokango she reminds me of a 6'5 Sophia Young.

Last edited by SportsGuru on 03/29/10 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

I have a feeling if Appel drops the Stanford East Coast Connection will snatch her up.

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if Washington drafts her, but one can hope until its official. Laughing

Cui7

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus. Appel looked ineffective, slow, and well fat against a top draft prospect in A. Harris (who I have been raving about for a looong time). I no longer want the Lynx to select Appel with the number 2 . . . if A. Harris declares tomorrow. I am little scared that even if A. Harris declares, Roger G. will select Appel anyways.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

within 24 hours we'll know whether amber harris declares for the draft. personally, i'm all for her staying in school for another year. get that free education. play with phillips for another year.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In one sense, if Amber is to leave, Phillips will have the lead role her senior season and will not be losing any spotlight to Harris.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
within 24 hours we'll know whether amber harris declares for the draft. personally, i'm all for her staying in school for another year. get that free education. play with phillips for another year.

If she is going to graduate in May or June (not sure of Xavier's syetem) she may have no reason to stay, especially if she doesn't know if she wants to go to grad school or what she wants to study yet.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What if Harris declares, Stanford advances to the NC game, and Appel has the game of her life against Tina Charles? That's not an ideal situation to be in at all--too big a risk. She's got plenty to work on (especially defensively and on the boards) if she returns to college, and she can also become a consensus AA.

Mathies to LA 2013
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me Amber Harris is injury prone, get your sheepskin in May then start your WNBA summer job.

dynasty0207

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm usually for players returning for full eligibility but in this case I believe Amber should declare for the draft.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
What if Harris declares, Stanford advances to the NC game, and Appel has the game of her life against Tina Charles? That's not an ideal situation to be in at all--too big a risk. She's got plenty to work on (especially defensively and on the boards) if she returns to college, and she can also become a consensus AA.

To me, it may well be a personal decision as much or more than a basketball decision.

But in terms of basketball... How much does she want to keep playing college basketball? The A-10 certainly isn't going to get her more prepared next year than it did this year.

What if she isn't hugely concerned with being a lottery pick?

It's hard to say what the agenda is here, but Amber is free to make her own choice.

In my mind, I'm ready to see Amber in the WNBA. I like the idea of a big wing in the league who could potentially make Minnesota, Chicago, or San Antonio a better team.

If I am Minnesota, I am probably still thinking Wright and Appel. Appel isn't going to be defined by one game. She has a four year track record of playing at a high level, being an elite rebounder and passer, who also can score the basketball.

After that, I think both Chicago and San Antonio should have Harris well atop their wish list.

Chicago can stand to stick with Perkins, Canty, Toliver, Sharp, and Christon on the perimeter. That's a fair amount of scoring there between Perkins, Toliver, and Christon and Christon, Canty, and Perkins like to play D. The post would be more focused on Fowles than the past, but you'd add someone who can stretch defense in Kraay and someone who can add the mid-range flavor with Harris all the while having a big body in Paris and a scoring-minded presence in Ely off the bench.

Sure it's hard to see a natural fit in there, but a lot of that is based in Chicago's lack of success prior to this season. If they can start to develop some teamwork, flow, and strategy, we may suddenly see some combinations that make a lot of sense.

I really like this move for Chicago. I really do.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was pretty convincing. I feel Harris would fit nicely in Chicago but I feel Minny may snatch her up! San Antonio already has 5 posts, not including Tasha Humphrey.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's really not a wing, though. She's a PF who can shoot. To me, she looks like a poor man's Jessica Breland--except that Breland can defend her position.

Another year of college would do her some good, but not if she's just going to lollygag her way through it. She has to be on a mission to improve.

Mathies to LA 2013
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Appel looked scared, slow, and completely passive out there. Fight for the ball, woman!

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Appel looked scared, slow, and completely passive out there. Fight for the ball, woman!

I think she looked injured and playing against people her size exposed it.

This isn't Appel's first rodeo. She's already done work against big time prospects. She didn't suddenly digress.

The concern with Appel is health, not ability.

Again, Stanford as a whole needed a greater sense of urgency earlier in the game. When they play with a sense of urgency - especially Jayne - it's a completely different look.

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ta'Shia Phillips
Code:
Round 1: 23 pts ( 8-15 FG), 21 reb
Round 2: 15 pts ( 7-11 FG), 17 reb
Round 3: 22 pts (10-13 FG), 14 reb
Round 4:  2 pts ( 1- 3 FG),  8 reb

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I worry a lot about Appel; maybe that's because I watched Ohlde play for so long and I fear Appel will be another Ohlde.

If I'm in charge of the Lynx's draft plan and Harris is a possibility, I start to wonder what my team can do with a W.O.U.S. (Wing of Unusual Size).

Laughing

PostPosted: 03/29/10 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Ta'Shia Phillips
Code:
Round 1: 23 pts ( 8-15 FG), 21 reb
Round 2: 15 pts ( 7-11 FG), 17 reb
Round 3: 22 pts (10-13 FG), 14 reb
Round 4:  2 pts ( 1- 3 FG),  8 reb

Point taken.

Mathies to LA 2013
Cui7

PostPosted: 03/29/10 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
I worry a lot about Appel; maybe that's because I watched Ohlde play for so long and I fear Appel will be another Ohlde.

If I'm in charge of the Lynx's draft plan and Harris is a possibility, I start to wonder what my team can do with a W.O.U.S. (Wing of Unusual Size).

Laughing

Gee, ya think
Very Happy
PD has those stats up there to illustrate the great job that Appel did against Phillips (who she was paired up with most of the time). Phillips did a great job on her as well . . . What scared me the most is how poorly Appel played against a talented post duo of size. How is this not ominous for her immediate WNBA career? A. Harris was very, very impressive. I am assuming that the Lynx will not draft her and she falls to Chicago. Damn!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: