RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sun @ Mystics 8/14/09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LT041

PostPosted: 08/14/09 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
Ok the Mystics announcers are EXTREMELY annoying we all know the refs suck but shit lady give it a rest!

OMG LMAO!! I thought I was the only one...Glad to see others thought the same Laughing
vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/14/09 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LT041 wrote:
bigbri131014 wrote:
Ok the Mystics announcers are EXTREMELY annoying we all know the refs suck but shit lady give it a rest!

OMG LMAO!! I thought I was the only one...Glad to see others thought the same Laughing

I must be suffering some kind of mental defect or something. I managed to watch the whole damn game without losing it over the Mystic homers.

Just go figure....

PostPosted: 08/14/09 10:52 pm    ::: v conn Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Just got back from the game, pretty much have no voice left. That was the most amazing game I've seen the Mystics play in several years. Their outside shooting has been MIA for a while now, but they managed to score 91 points by grinding them out. Connecticut is a terrific team with very talented shooters, and this was a tough game for us, no question about it. (Someone please remind me why we traded away Asjha Jones.) Props to the Sun.

Alana was a warrior, particularly late in regulation when we had to catch up. And what can you say about Lang?!!!! OMG, I watched her for four years in college and this is the most complete, versatile, incredible game I've ever seen her play. She is scoring on outside jump shots, clutch shots at that (the one with one second left on the shot clock, WOW), making those two clutch free throws despite the worst form anyone has ever seen. 10 of 13 from the field. Unbelievable!! Very Happy Very Happy

The refs sucked. Sorry, I don't like to complain about the officiating, but these three guys just sucked. The replays on the megatron confirmed the zillion mistakes they made. They very nearly cost the Mystics this game.

I'm going to forget about them and just keep enjoying the good feelng I have right now. People were just joyous as we filed out of the arena.

It's only one game, but I think it shows that Angela and Julie know what they are doing and are on the right track with the franchise. Very Happy

(Oh, btw, LeBron James was in the house.)

OH HAPPY DAY! Congratulations! That was so close! Do you have any nails left?

PostPosted: 08/15/09 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

(Oh, btw, LeBron James was in the house.)

We watching at home know LeBron was there because instead of calling the game (re: Sanford stealing the ball deep in the corner, getting it to B-Mo who finished with an And 1) the announcers were drooling over him and his pink shoes! Rolling Eyes

Great game for the Mystics. This is a time when I wish I still lived close enough to have kept my season tickets, I know the booth was rocking!

PostPosted: 08/15/09 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Just got back from the game,
Alana was a warrior, particularly late in regulation when we had to catch up. And what can you say about Lang?!!!! OMG, I watched her for four years in college and this is the most complete, versatile, incredible game I've ever seen her play. She is scoring on outside jump shots, clutch shots at that (the one with one second left on the shot clock, WOW), making those two clutch free throws despite the worst form anyone has ever seen. 10 of 13 from the field. Unbelievable!! Very Happy Very Happy

OK, I made it plain before, during and after last season that I did NOT appreciate Lang's game in college - I much preferred Larkins over Lang. And let it be said that last season, we got Lang's college game, which pretty much sucked in the WNBA. Now, I am in LOVE with Lang! OMG! She is very talented AND a true professional. She took all criticisms of her game last season and worked on every single one of them. She improved the deficits and now the talent she already possessed is coming to light!

Right now it's two former Dukies and one Terp who are the heart and soul of this team. As a Duke/Mystics fan I am mystified that Mo Currie is not one of the three but I am DELIGHTED as HELL that Crystal Langhorne has showed the guts, skill and determination of a warrior. Here, let me say it again:

I LOVE CRYSTAL LANGHORNE!!!

The biggest key (to me) is adding the outside jumper, which she is hitting often and under pressure. Especially with the Styx' outside shooting woes, this shooting makes the difference between a close loss and a gutsy win. The other point of improvement is post defense. She is holding her own against same height players - a HUGE improvement from last season. Now her knack for rebounding position is being shown off as her defense keeps them from getting the easy shots so there are more rebounds to go after.

And now, with Sanford making a little noise in the post, we are basically just lacking the offense at the wing. Let's go Rissa and Mo! Both are battling mental demons but both are warriors who won't stop fighting till they get their shot back. Meanwhile, I'm loving Mo's work on defense and on the boards. Even with her way off shooting, she scored double digits and got crucial rebounds, allowing our big 3 to win the game.

GO STYX!!!

~rAf
abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/15/09 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is anyone even CLOSE to Lang for MIP honors?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/15/09 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:

Tanisha Wright
Lindsey Harding

Numberwise, Langhorne isn't much different from last year except for doubling her playing time.

PostPosted: 08/15/09 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:

Nicky Anosike is having a really great season. Her sophomore stats are actually better than Lang's are. But Nicky had more success in her rookie season, so if we're just looking at improvement -- rather than which one is best -- I would still give the nod to Langhorne. (Of course, as a Mystics fan, I admit I'm biased.)

Charde Houston is also doing very well as a soph. She could be in the running for the award too.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/15/09 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what you guys have described, Langhorne hasn't just improved her numbers, she's changed and added to her game. While the voters don't go that deep- we are talking about the award that Tari Phillips and Janeth Arcain won- that strikes me as the proper metric to use.

Langhorne's biggest problem might be her own teammate. If each team only puts forward one player, Washington might put forward Harding; if not, they might split the vote and allow Wright or someone else to take it.

PostPosted: 08/15/09 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Langhorne's biggest problem might be her own teammate. If each team only puts forward one player, Washington might put forward Harding; if not, they might split the vote and allow Wright or someone else to take it.

If that's how it works -- teams nominate a player -- then I'm pretty confident the Styx will put up Lang instead of Lindsey. Harding has come off two seasons shortened by serious injuries. She played pretty well, IIRC, when she was healthy during those earlier outings. This being her first healthy season, we're getting to see what Plank and Taylor were convinced she was capable of all along. More opportunity and health, rather than improvement per se.

But as noted, Langhorne has added dimensions to her game. She started the season coming off the bench. She's earned her starting spot the old fashioned way. She may not be the "best" soph player in the W, but "most improved"? Certainly she should be given serious consideration.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/15/09 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

If that's how it works -- teams nominate a player -- then I'm pretty confident the Styx will put up Lang instead of Lindsey. Harding has come off two seasons shortened by serious injuries. She played pretty well, IIRC, when she was healthy during those earlier outings. This being her first healthy season, we're getting to see what Plank and Taylor were convinced she was capable of all along. More opportunity and health, rather than improvement per se.

But as noted, Langhorne has added dimensions to her game. She started the season coming off the bench. She's earned her starting spot the old fashioned way. She may not be the "best" soph player in the W, but "most improved"? Certainly she should be given serious consideration.

Langhorne from the Mystics ABSOLUTELY!!! Harding has been as wonderful as she could have been earlier on the right team and injury-free. Langhorne has added the exact elements to her game that was needed and is executing beautifully. Langhorne's extra minutes are directly related to her improvement not the other way around.

Regarding other contenders: Tanisha Wright, Nicky Anosike and Charde Houston, I would think Tanisha is the most serious contender. She has moved her game up an entire order of magnitude. Yet she's playing with THREE all*Stars...and they're in second place. Between Anosike and Houston - first of all, the team would need to pick just one and Houston is fading a bit. I'm thinking it's Anosike. Last year folks were saying OMG I had no idea she was this good. Her only issue last year was consistency cuz she had some flashes of brilliance. And it IS remarkable that a post player is competing with stats in so many categories - rebounds, steals, assists. I just wouldn't call the difference between last season and this one as remarkable.

I thought Lindsey deserved the All*Star nod over Lang and certainly over Katie Smith. But most improved? Langhorne all the way. From bad to stud in one year due to lots of targeted hard work. She has earned it and stats support it.

LANGHORNE = MIP!

~rAf
et34

PostPosted: 08/15/09 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Gruda for MIP?

abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/15/09 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm on board for that. Very Happy

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/16/09 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

et34 wrote:
How about Gruda for MIP?

It's not even close. Gruda is playing well, but doesn't compare to going from bust to bonanza. That's a homer pick.

~rAf
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/16/09 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gruda and Langhorne have very comparable numbers. Gruda with a slight edge in points, Langhorne with an edge in rebounds and FG%, and Gruda with an edge in blocks. Both players have added shooting range to their respective games. I don't see why you can't make a case for either one.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/16/09 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
et34 wrote:
How about Gruda for MIP?

It's not even close. Gruda is playing well, but doesn't compare to going from bust to bonanza. That's a homer pick.

Oh I'm sorry.

You go ahead and pick Langhorne though.

Sheesh.

As LibWNBAFan said, there isn't much difference between Gruda and Langhorne's numbers. All of their stats basically doubled since last season except Langhorne's FG% has gone down and Gruda's FT% has taken the slightest dip.

I think a big difference, however, is that one is now starting for her team while the other is not...

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/16/09 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
I think a big difference, however, is that one is now starting for her team while the other is not...

A bigger one would be that the second player has appeared in every one of her team's games, while the first missed a quarter of the season...

abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/16/09 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Albeit to win MVP of the Euroleague tournament, but I could see how that would factor in to the decisions of voters (rightly so).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/16/09 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And, if I may, the biggest difference for this award, in my humble opinion, is the perception of them from last season. Yes, they've both pretty much pulled off the 'double your minutes, double your stats' trick from last season to this, but based on last season, most of us thought Gruda was very, very good and just needed more minutes and more time to get there and show it. On the other hand, the general perception of Langhorne, on a terrible Washington team, was that she was only playing limited minutes because her game wasn't really good enough to deserve more, and a serious upwards swing was unlikely.

A lot of these awards depend on exceeding expectations, just as much as actual pure performance. Statistically the improvement is pretty comparable, but Gruda feels like she's doubled her numbers as she should've done, having been given double the minutes by Thibault. Langhorne feels like she's doubled her numbers through playing much better and forcing the coaches to give her double the minutes.

It might not be fair, but that's how it feels to me.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/16/09 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, I reiterate the point that MIP should go to someone who has improved and added to her game. Gruda's numbers have gone up, but is she doing anything that she wasn't capable of last season, or even capable of before coming to the WNBA in the first place?

PostPosted: 08/16/09 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Also, I reiterate the point that MIP should go to someone who has improved and added to her game. Gruda's numbers have gone up, but is she doing anything that she wasn't capable of last season, or even capable of before coming to the WNBA in the first place?

I tend to agree. Just by numbers, you might conclude that Erika de Souza should be MIP.

OTOH, if you ignore previous seasons and base it on who has improved the most from where they were at the beginning of this season, then Candace Parker wins hands down.

PostPosted: 08/16/09 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I agree; it would seem that's why "improved" is in the title of the award! Laughing

I'm not as familiar with Gruda's game to say whether she's "added to it" this season, but as someone who has watched Lang since her freshman year at MD, let me say that every time this season she hits a jump shot, particularly those long ones she's hitting far outside the paint, I simply gasp in amazement. As Lang herself said of the 17-footer that won the double OT game on Fri against the Sun, "Last season I would never have taken that shot. I think everyone knows that." Very Happy

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/16/09 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

It seems to me that she is a more consistent shooter from 15-18 feet than she was a year ago.

On the flip side, Langhorne's improvements in terms of shooting the ball and handling increased defensive coverage are probably greater. Langhorne's shooting form was one of the worst I can recall seeing a year ago. Now she can actually shoot some. She's also gained much more of a comfort level handling the ball in traffic. Gruda already had that sort of a presence before.

In that sense, I can see arguing in favor of Langhorne. She would probably get my vote. But if a person was to argue for Gruda, I could see it. Gruda can display unstoppable qualities at times, which she did not display a year ago as much as she displayed raw talent.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 08/16/09 9:17 am; edited 2 times in total
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/16/09 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
Albeit to win MVP of the Euroleague tournament, but I could see how that would factor in to the decisions of voters (rightly so).

Evina Maltsi was named MVP of EuroBasket Women. But to the larger point, no player has ever won the WNBA's Most Valuable Player, DPOY or Rookie of the Year having sat out more than 10 percent of her team's games. I don't see why the criteria should be different for Most Improved...

abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/16/09 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:

You guys are all making valid points.

Remember that I said this about ten posts back. ^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: