RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Draft 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/18/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Are they sure Willoughby went to Virginia? She sounds like she could have went to Stanford.

Isn't UVA widely considered to be one of the top public institutions in the country?

Randy

PostPosted: 04/18/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Shades wrote:
Are they sure Willoughby went to Virginia? She sounds like she could have went to Stanford.

Isn't UVA widely considered to be one of the top public institutions in the country?

She is apparently very smart and hard working. Here are some of her accomplishments listed on her bio at UVA:

AT VIRGINIA
GENERAL

Appointed as a non-voting, student-athlete member of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee. Her tenure runs through her senior season

Meriwether Lewis Institute for Citizen Leadership Fellow (Class of 2020 cohort)

Lived on The Lawn during the 2018-19 academic year

During UVA’s 2018 Fall Convocation Ceremony, she received a certificate of Intermediate Honors, a distinction given to third-year students who are among the top 20 percent of their class in the College of Arts & Sciences

Completed her undergraduate degree in Global Development Studies in three years and graduated in May 2019

Working on her Master’s degree at UVA's Batten School of Public Policy (began in July 2019)

2019 Raven Award student recipient, presented by the Raven Society

2019-20

2019-20 CoSIDA Academic All-America Division I women's basketball third team. She was one of 15 players nationally to be named an academic All-American. She is the seventh player in program history to earn the honor and the first to do so since Jenny Boucek in 1996

2019-20 Kay Yow Award winner, honoring the ACC Women's Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year. She is the first player in program history to win this award

https://virginiasports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jocelyn-willoughby/6658

Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Randy is Willoughby’s official #1 fan. Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Speebs56

PostPosted: 04/18/20 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Shades wrote:

She is apparently very smart and hard working. Here are some of her accomplishments listed on her bio at UVA:

AT VIRGINIA
GENERAL

Appointed as a non-voting, student-athlete member of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee. Her tenure runs through her senior season

Meriwether Lewis Institute for Citizen Leadership Fellow (Class of 2020 cohort)

Lived on The Lawn during the 2018-19 academic year

During UVA’s 2018 Fall Convocation Ceremony, she received a certificate of Intermediate Honors, a distinction given to third-year students who are among the top 20 percent of their class in the College of Arts & Sciences

Completed her undergraduate degree in Global Development Studies in three years and graduated in May 2019

Working on her Master’s degree at UVA's Batten School of Public Policy (began in July 2019)

2019 Raven Award student recipient, presented by the Raven Society

2019-20

2019-20 CoSIDA Academic All-America Division I women's basketball third team. She was one of 15 players nationally to be named an academic All-American. She is the seventh player in program history to earn the honor and the first to do so since Jenny Boucek in 1996

2019-20 Kay Yow Award winner, honoring the ACC Women's Basketball Scholar-Athlete of the Year. She is the first player in program history to win this award

https://virginiasports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jocelyn-willoughby/6658

UVA is an outstanding university. I wasn't surprised by Willoughby's poise and eloquence at all. Very Happy

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/18/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean it's no Trump University.

PostPosted: 04/18/20 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When she was selected, I said she was so well-spoken she could have a career in broadcasting.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/18/20 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Usually after the draft there is a flood of camp signings

are they not happening because there might not be a season or with overseas seasons over everyone is already here so most rosters are at their 15 max and without the staggered return from the overseas leagues there just isn't any room? or

are they just not being reported?

toad455

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Usually after the draft there is a flood of camp signings

are they not happening because there might not be a season or with overseas seasons over everyone is already here so most rosters are at their 15 max and without the staggered return from the overseas leagues there just isn't any room? or

are they just not being reported?

No one is overseas playing. Whenever training camps begin, almost everyone should be available(outside of some foreign players). Teams can't sign extra players to camp contracts if they're expecting 15 players immediately when camps begin.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks signed Dominique McBryde

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

So are the Sparks still going to have 30 players signed to camp contracts again? Because we all know the rules don't apply to the Sparks.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

So are the Sparks still going to have 30 players signed to camp contracts again? Because we all know the rules don't apply to the Sparks.

The Sparks are still the Sparks even after the Penny Toler Era......

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s always interesting to read how post players suddenly become guards etc when they could only play post in college for example. It’s like they magically acquire skills in a couple of weeks that they never had, or that players who played against a lower level of talent can suddenly be starters in the W. I think some folks expectations can lead to disappointment.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Laughing Funny enough, assuming Fiebich doesn't report and all else on the roster do, McBryde would be the 15th player.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
It’s always interesting to read how post players suddenly become guards etc when they could only play post in college for example. It’s like they magically acquire skills in a couple of weeks that they never had, or that players who played against a lower level of talent can suddenly be starters in the W. I think some folks expectations can lead to disappointment.

so true. but it is the time of great hope... when all you do is look at the highlight reel and forget about the other 90% of the time. I'm ok with that. The bubble gets burst soon enough so just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

People get baby happy at draft time

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

so true. but it is the time of great hope... when all you do is look at the highlight reel and forget about the other 90% of the time. I'm ok with that. The bubble gets burst soon enough so just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Exactly! Many players may not live up to the hype but some surprise us and are fun to watch as the grow. Players like Kia Nurse, Tip Hayes, Natasha Cloud, Emma Meesseman, Sugar Rodgers, Monique Billings, Ariel Atkins and many others come along every year and exceed expectations. Sometimes they just become useful rotation players, other times they become stars, and it's fun to watch unfold.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/20 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Laughing Laughing Good to set the bar high.

What the schools have in common is that both were founded by presidents -- one by Donald Trump, the other by Thomas Jefferson. Which one sounds better?

PostPosted: 04/19/20 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

What the schools have in common is that both were founded by presidents -- one by Donald Trump, the other by Thomas Jefferson. Which one sounds better?

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/19/20 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Randy"][quote="myrtle"][quote="bballjunkie"]It’s always interesting to read how post players suddenly become guards etc when they could only play post in college for example. It’s like they magically acquire skills in a couple of weeks that they never had, or that players who played against a lower level of talent can suddenly be starters in the W. I think some folks expectations can lead to disappointment.[/quote]

so true. but it is the time of great hope... when all you do is look at the highlight reel and forget about the other 90% of the time. I'm ok with that. The bubble gets burst soon enough so just enjoy the ride while it lasts.[/quote]

Exactly! Many players may not live up to the hype but some surprise us and are fun to watch as the grow. Players like Kia Nurse, Tip Hayes, Natasha Cloud, Emma Meesseman, Sugar Rodgers, Monique Billings, Ariel Atkins and many others come along every year and exceed expectations. Sometimes they just become useful rotation players, other times they become stars, and it's fun to watch unfold.[/quote]

Oh some of those had the skills and got into a good situation, I am talking about the ones that don’t have any of the skills but some peeps are saying they do Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/20 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

One enslaved people and sometimes used those slaves for sex and engaged in child labor, The other is Donald Trump...

PostPosted: 04/19/20 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

One enslaved people and sometimes used those slaves for sex and engaged in child labor, The other is Donald Trump...

One acted within the norms of the times, while one lives in progressed times wanting to go back to the old ways.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/19/20 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics Won the WNBA Draft Before It Even Began.

I believe the author got the title right but error when she wrote the Mystics can afford no more than 11 players if there's an upcoming WNBA season this year. Oh by the way, I don't believe the Libs were being generous helping Tina make the Max this year. I believe the Mystics compensated the Libs with extra picks and Shatori for the Libs helping to makeup the salary for Tina to reach the max.

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/sports/article/21129158/the-mystics-won-the-wnba-draft-before-it-even-began

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/20 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

OK, I knew this was coming. I actually spent a considerable amount of time crafting an answer, but I decided not to post it. In the end, this is a basketball forum. If people really want to get into this debate, I'm game. We can continue in Area 51.

PostPosted: 04/19/20 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

One acted within the norms of the times, while one lives in progressed times wanting to go back to the old ways.

Great answer. Essentially what I would have said.

PostPosted: 04/19/20 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
justintyme wrote:

One wrote "the whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Guess which one.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: