WNBA Draft 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/17/20 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Curious how Agler plays both Sabally & Alarie.

Sabally off the bench at 3 and Alarie deep bench out of the rotation. Both are rookies after all.

There may be the likes of Thornton and Samuelson in the way at the 3, but there are a lot of available post minutes. Its basically Ndour, Harrison and then bleaiugfifgwl???!? So they may not be that far down the pecking order. Sabally in particular, even on an Agler team, should get plenty of minutes immediately.

Thornton helps the situation, because she can swap assignments at the 3/4 if it helps the rookies.

Thornton/Gray/KLS

Unless the move Gray over to the 2 which still pushes KD out the door . Waiver wire will be fun

PostPosted: 04/17/20 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Didn't get very good looks at the outfits, so no fashion thread this year

Cox looked good in her blue dress so I think she won hands down

PostPosted: 04/17/20 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
They are sticking to the two hour format this year? Even with nothing else on?

I am looking forward to them cramming the last 24 picks into 48 minutes, 12 of which are spent in commercials breaks.

Ugh, the fact that that's exactly what's going to happen is already killing my Draft vibe. Rolling Eyes God, this league makes itself soooo hard to support most times.

I underestimated them. Those 24 picks were apparently fit into 24 minutes.
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/17/20 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are the Libs going to do with all those Guards ? Where's the Frontcourt help for the Libs ?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/18/20 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Projected 1st rounders Crystal Dangerfield, Te'a Cooper and Beatrice Mompreimer are getting pay cuts before they start their WNBA Careers being drafted in the 2nd round

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/18/20 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel's draft grades:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29050914/wnba-draft-grades-liberty-get-sabrina-ionescu-wings-lynx-score-highest-marks

PostPosted: 04/18/20 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Voepel's draft grades:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29050914/wnba-draft-grades-liberty-get-sabrina-ionescu-wings-lynx-score-highest-marks

Rather generous grading IMO

PostPosted: 04/18/20 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Voepel's draft grades:

Agreed! Voepel is way too nice and cutesy sometimes imo, especially when it comes to grading teams on stuff like Free Agency and the Draft. An "Incomplete" grade for Vegas as if they haven't made the pick yet? Rolling Eyes As they say, this is not RuPaul's Best Friend Race!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/18/20 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Voepel's draft grades:

Agreed! Voepel is way too nice and cutesy sometimes imo, especially when it comes to grading teams on stuff like Free Agency and the Draft. An "Incomplete" grade for Vegas as if they haven't made the pick yet? Rolling Eyes As they say, this is not RuPaul's Best Friend Race!

The Vegas one is fair enough IMO, but that many teams can't be getting an A / A+

PostPosted: 04/18/20 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My grades were nicer than I thought they'd be. I think it's because a lot of those weird funky picks evened out with good-value picks, as most teams that did a bad pick also did a good pick either earlier or later in the draft. I liked grading the Fantasy Draft a lot more than grading this one, though. Confused

MY DRAFT GRADES:

Atlanta: B | The Dream wisely didn’t think twice about Carter. Brewer can compete with Coates for a spot. Pivec can make this roster if she proves she has the skills to play PG and defend SFs, but her chances are slim. This grade isn’t an A because Thornton looks like a wasteful token pick in support of nearby Clemson (I absolutely loathe token picks Rolling Eyes ).
Connecticut: A- | As much as the Sun could’ve used another post player, both Charles and Landrum were great value picks, and both have a shot at making the roster due to the Sun's scattered bench.
Chicago: B- | Hebard should fit in with Chicago’s style of play, even if it doesn’t help her defensively, and Gillespie if nothing else is a great value pick. Dean being a small, offense-oriented guard who can’t shoot, though, has almost no shot whatsoever and is a waste of a pick.
Dallas: A- | Alarie and Harris at 5 and 7 respectively are slight reaches, but nowhere near the reaches the Draft has seen elsewhere. It really remains to be seen how Sabally and Alarie will fit together on the court, given their similar profiles. Geiselsoder was a predictable and savvy draft-and-stash pick.
Indiana: C+ | The positions themselves weren’t bad, but Doyle at 14 is a very poor PG choice in a Draft that had plenty of better options at PG available. However, Cox is Cox, and true-SG Smalls might be good enough to be given a chance as a third rounder.
Las Vegas: F | All I can say is, there is a plethora of names that went undrafted that would’ve made more sense than who their one pick was. Let’s just say there wasn’t a whole lot of buzz coming into this Draft about Lauren Manis, a 6’1 forward out of little ole Holy Cross.
Los Angeles: A | Mompremier was a great value pick that can come in and compete for a spot with Gülich. After that, the Sparks didn’t need a whole lot else, so they did a draft-and-stash at 22 and took a low-risk chance on a flight risk at 34. Still, it's not a great look overall that a team that didn't have any picks in the first half of the Draft received the best grade from me. Embarassed
Minnesota: C | Herbert Harrigan was only considered the first surprise of Draft Night, but she could still have a future in this League with her present skillset. Dangerfield at 16 was a great value pick. And that’s where the Lynx should’ve stopped, as trading away a rotation player in Talbot for a guard that ultimately got drafted because of name recognition just doesn’t seem like a logical move.
New York: C- | After Ionescu was picked, the Liberty appeared to get morbidly obsessed with wing players. Walker falling to 9 was great, but then they proceeded to draft two more wing players (Jones and Odom) and trade for two more wing players (Willoughby and Talbot) later on. It would’ve been fine had they needed wing players more than anyone. But as it stands now, their post rotation could still use more competition (Shook at 13 feels like a reach, but she does have a shot), and a third-string PG to compete with Boyd might’ve even been nice. It still feels like this team in particular is still figuring things out with its personnel, but at the very least, each drafted player did enough in college to where they deserve a shot - and will get one on a rebuilding team like this.
Phoenix: C+ | The Mercury could’ve used an extra post player, but because they avoided drafting one, it seems that their post rotation is all but set. Turning a late first rounder into Walker-Kimbrough is a risky move, but it might pay off. Cooper is a good value pick, and Johnson… can forever say that she had the highest PPG average in all of Div. I WBB her senior year!
Seattle: B- | All the Storm’s moves made complete sense, with the latter two being of decent value, hence the grade it receives from me. Yet, I can’t shake the feeling that even our first-round pick will eventually go to waste. I would’ve preferred two draft-and-stash picks of a different sort instead of the one we ended up wit - Laksa never really showed enough to me in college, and that was before her devastating knee injury. Holmes and Gorecki are solid picks that would get a chance on several other teams, but at least they can say they got drafted at all.
Washington: C- | It was downright perplexing to me that a team that had no room on their roster for fringe players and no draft picks in next year’s draft didn’t choose to make at least one draft-and-stash pick. Agnew was a great college player, but at 5'11, she'll have to make the difficult transition from post player to perimeter player. Sutton was highly rated out of high school, but did not live up to it in college.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/18/20 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Voepel's draft grades:

The Vegas one is fair enough IMO, but that many teams can't be getting an A / A+

Yeah, I just kind of ignore the actual letters and just plot them out on a curve. So here she has:

Tier 1 Drafts
Wings
Lynx

Tier 2 Drafts
Sun
Mystic
Sparks

Tier 3 Drafts
Liberty
Fever
Dream

Tier 4 Drafts
Sky
Storm

Tier 5 Drafts
Mercury

Did Not Participate
Aces

Which is pretty much how I would break it down as well. The actual letters used are pretty inconsequential.

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Usually when picks drop, it’s due to a red flag. I knew there were some in this draft but looking at how it went and asking wtf is going on, there were way more than I thought. Camps will be interesting and will be fun to see, especially all the inflated heights Wink

toad455

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Usually when picks drop, it’s due to a red flag. I knew there were some in this draft but looking at how it went and asking wtf is going on, there were way more than I thought. Camps will be interesting and will be fun to see, especially all the inflated heights Wink

There will be cuts before camps begin (whenever that is.). Teams can only have 15 in camp, and most teams are over that already. Don't expect too many undrafted players to get picked up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all are way overrating Seattle's draft. None of those players will ever play in the W. Taking the oldest player in the draft and telling her to stay home for a year is a special kind of dumb.

Most people hate poetry
toad455

PostPosted: 04/18/20 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Y'all are way overrating Seattle's draft. None of those players will ever play in the W. Taking the oldest player in the draft and telling her to stay home for a year is a special kind of dumb.

Storm should've taken one of the German players instead, I think they stand a better chance to show up at some point. Laksa had a weak season in Latvia, so I don't see here sticking on any roster down the road unless her game improves.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 04/18/20 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Voepel's draft grades:

5 A's and 5 B's, 1 C and incomplete is generous???? Damn you must the hangin' grader. This is America. Everybody get's a good grade because everybody is above average........ Razz Razz

Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/20 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s my vision of the Mercury

Hartley/(Cooper vs Epoupa)
Diggins/Cunningham/(SJohnson vs Willoughby)
Taurasi/(Coffey vs Blicavs)
Breland/Turner/Smith
Griner/Vaughn

Something like that.

Hartley wasn’t brought in as a backup at 185K.
Diggins is better off the ball.
With Bonner gone they need starter quality at SF, so that’s where Taurasi goes.
She can be a point forward but this isn’t the roster for her to be a PG.

So I don’t understand Voepel’s perception that PHX didn’t need a PG and therefore she took points off her grade for them. Low marks for Voepel.

The post looks solid, so I’m not seeing a draft need there unless you think Smith or Vaughn need competitions for their spots. Did Vaughn get a guaranteed contract? Nobody knows. She’s the big mystery signing that Megdal never updates.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/18/20 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Here’s my vision of the Mercury

Hartley/(Cooper vs Epoupa)
Diggins/Cunningham/(SJohnson vs Willoughby)
Taurasi/(Coffey vs Blicavs)
Breland/Turner/Smith
Griner/Vaughn

Something like that.

Hartley wasn’t brought in as a backup at 185K.
Diggins is better off the ball.
With Bonner gone they need starter quality at SF, so that’s where Taurasi goes.
She can be a point forward but this isn’t the roster for her to be a PG.

So I don’t understand Voepel’s perception that PHX didn’t need a PG and therefore she took points off her grade for them. Low marks for Voepel.

The post looks solid, so I’m not seeing a draft need there unless you think Smith or Vaughn need competitions for their spots. Did Vaughn get a guaranteed contract? Nobody knows. She’s the big mystery signing that Megdal never updates.

Not quite. They traded Willoughby to NY for SWK.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/20 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, then just swap in SWK for Willoughby. She’s probably takes that spot over the competition, but you never know.

Otherwise, do you get my gist over the structure of the roster?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/18/20 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Is anyone getting an A grade from me with this Draft? Probably not. Rolling Eyes

As a Dream fan, I'm very happy with this draft.

As a Wings fan I’m extremely satisfied !!

Awwwwhhh, at last....were both on the same page 🤓😁🤗

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/18/20 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Okay, then just swap in SWK for Willoughby. She’s probably takes that spot over the competition, but you never know.

Otherwise, do you get my gist over the structure of the roster?

I agree with it pretty much. I think PHX can only carry 11 though because of the salary cap. Vaughn’s big contract is laughable.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/18/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]
lynxmania wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Is anyone getting an A grade from me with this Draft? Probably not. Rolling Eyes

Gurl you sashayed away after Belle was picked, get outta here Laughing

I came back though I can’t lie I was not happy with Bella that early knowing she would be available later. I’m not disappointed in the player specifically. I’ve been on her campaign saying she’s the real deal all through this mock I just wanted Walker at 5 Walker or Harris at 5 then Alarie at 7.[/quote

If they hadn't pulled the trigger at 5, she would not being wearing a Wings uniform whenever the season starts! What difference does it make it make when everyone outside of the Metroplex says we're: 1. Just another lotto team in 2021. 2. We will not even see the playoffs. 3. We're irrelevant to the WNBA 4. Basically no one respects or whatsoever, but in the words of someone I absolutely cannot stand with a passion...."You'll keep that same energy!!!"

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/18/20 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Very happy with the pick of Cox. I think she will be great to pair next to McCowan.

+1

She's a tough hombre and competitive as all Hell. She absolutely hates to lose at anything - it almost kills her. And, she's a smart player. Loved going up to Baylor to watch her play, except when they played Texas.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/18/20 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Gurl you sashayed away after Belle was picked, get outta here Laughing

I came back though I can’t lie I was not happy with Bella that early knowing she would be available later. I’m not disappointed in the player specifically. I’ve been on her campaign saying she’s the real deal all through this mock I just wanted Walker at 5 Walker or Harris at 5 then Alarie at 7.

If they hadn't pulled the trigger at 5, she would not being wearing a Wings uniform whenever the season starts! What difference does it make it make when everyone outside of the Metroplex says we're: 1. Just another lotto team in 2021. 2. We will not even see the playoffs. 3. We're irrelevant to the WNBA 4. Basically no one respects us whatsoever, but in the words of someone I absolutely cannot stand with a passion...."You'll keep that same energy!!!"

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/18/20 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I sort of agree. I graded Seattle as such because I understood the strategy of picking Laksa there - even if I agree that she has no future - and I personally don't inherently dislike the players we got in the later rounds. Picking Laksa signaled to me that Hughes thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Langhorne and Prince are both making the Storm's roster, so why waste having to cut the first-round pick? Holmes being rated a Top-5 high school prospect that underachieved at a very underachieving collegiate program on its own made her worth taking in the second round. And Duke players seem to find their way into the W despite also underachieving, so taking Gorecki was fine with me, too. Again, not that it matters a bunch, since they would've gotten cut no matter who they were unless the picks were all deferral picks (that would've been the A+ strategy). With the Storm back to being contenders, real contenders don't really want/have rookies on their rosters anyway, and we still have Magbegor from last year planning on coming over this year. I'd certainly rather have cheaper rookies on the team than overpaid bench vets that only play 10 minutes a game, but I accept that that's just not how it works. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 17 of 23

Jump to: