45%  [ 11 ]
Lynx
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

jlight

PostPosted: 07/22/14 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordan ‏@Jumpman23 3h
Double OT, 48 points and a win. There's a reason why @MooreMaya is Team Jordan. #TakeFlight

jlight

PostPosted: 07/22/14 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 3h
Maya Moore finished with 48 points and 10 rebounds tonight in a 112-108 MINN 2OT win. (Moore is the best WBB player I've ever covered.)

jlight

PostPosted: 07/22/14 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles ‏@tinacharles31 4h
so @MooreMaya has 40 🙈

jlight

PostPosted: 07/22/14 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swin Cash @SwinCash 2h
Whatever @MooreMaya had for pregame I'll take two... please and thank you! Can you say in a zone👀

jlight

PostPosted: 07/22/14 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Monique Currie @Mocurrie25 1h
48 for @MooreMaya tonight...Gotta give credit where it's due youngin has it all!! Toughest 3 in the league to guard or shall I say maintain

jlight

PostPosted: 07/23/14 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://scores.espn.go.com/wnba/recap?gameId=400539599

highlights

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/23/14 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First it was a very close race for MVP with DT in the lead IMO but now Maya has just stepped it op a notch and refuses to let her team lose! RESPECT! MVP Maya at this point and because Mercury is loaded DT will not catch up to her anymore even if they defeat Minny again and have the best record by far.

Brunson is a beast Shocked

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
jlight

PostPosted: 07/23/14 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Anyone who votes for someone other than Maya Moore for MVP is either...

A: An impossible homer

B: Deliberately contrary

C: Completely ignorant of what's going on in the league

peck is voting for DEE.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/23/14 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I'm so sick of announcers talking about how "physical" the game is... well, they are not baking cookies out there, it's bball.

I wish basketball wasn't allowed to be a physical game, only a skill and athleticism game. It probably drives players with skill, but not strength and mass or inclination for banging, to other sports. We already have hockey, football, wrestling and boxing for physical sports I don't think "physical play" is actually allowed in the basketball rulebook, but rather allowed by the refs in contradiction to the rulebook. How much they allow has increased over time. I would compare it to court cases taking precedence over laws.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/23/14 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
pilight wrote:

peck is voting for DEE.

She would pretty much qualify under the (C) option.

Somebody tweet Peck and tell her to quit hitting the Taurasi sauce.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/23/14 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
jlight wrote:
pilight wrote:

peck is voting for DEE.

I find nothing wrong with Taurasi being the MVP this season so far.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 07/23/14 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
jlight wrote:
pilight wrote:

peck is voting for DEE.

I agree with that as well. Lobo said in the All-Star game the other day that her MVP vote would be for the best player on the best team and that is Taurasi.

At this point, a vote for Taurasi or Moore is not a bad vote.

caune

PostPosted: 07/23/14 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
jlight wrote:
pilight wrote:

peck is voting for DEE.

Kinda a rude poll Rolling Eyes
Dee is MVP in the Nash mode, she elevates her teams play because of her court vision and selflessness. Maya is just insanely talented. Either is deserving.
They did show some efficiency numbers last night, Dee was 230 ish, Maya 160 ish.

PostPosted: 07/23/14 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I agree with that as well. Lobo said in the All-Star game the other day that her MVP vote would be for the best player on the best team and that is Taurasi.

The only reason I might not have Maya MVP is that she's had more bad games than Taurasi. Otherwise best player on best team isn't fair, because the Lynx have been without Brunson 23 games and Augustus for 9 games, and there's been a couple Lynx losses this year in which having Brunson likely could've made a difference.

If the voters voted like they did last year, they'd knock on Taurasi for playing with Dupree, healthy PFT & Griner playing like an All-WNBAer all season like they did with Maya for playing with Whalen & Augustus all season, though Maya was arguably better than Parker and the best player on the best team.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 07/23/14 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/23/14 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post Embarassed

Shades

PostPosted: 07/23/14 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
jlight wrote:
pilight wrote:

peck is voting for DEE.

It didn't work out that way last year, did it?

To me, Griner is the main key to PHX's improvement this year with Taylor's full return being the second leading factor. It's the same old Taurasi only the team is winning because of these other factors, so she does less stupid things out of frustration. Less technical fouls this year....am I correct?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/23/14 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I'm so sick of announcers talking about how "physical" the game is... well, they are not baking cookies out there, it's bball.

I wish basketball wasn't allowed to be a physical game, only a skill and athleticism game. It probably drives players with skill, but not strength and mass or inclination for banging, to other sports. We already have hockey, football, wrestling and boxing for physical sports I don't think "physical play" is actually allowed in the basketball rulebook, but rather allowed by the refs in contradiction to the rulebook. How much they allow has increased over time. I would compare it to court cases taking precedence over laws.

Actually, incidental contact is specifically allowed and protected in the basketball rulebook, and the game was invented to give football players something to do in the winter -- so it was never intended to be a non-contact sport.

And also, women really only have two contact sport options -- basketball and soccer -- though water polo is on the rise. (In lacrosse, boys can check but girls can't.)

Physicality is an essential part of the sport. Volleyball, which requires pretty much the same physical requirements, is a skill and athleticism sport, and the fact that it's growing in popularity while basketball is declining speaks, in part, to tfan's point.

But overall, basketball is supposed to be physical. It's a contact sport (football is a collision sport), and part of the package of a successful player is a) the strength to deal with contact and b) the willingness to deal with contact.

I know the NBA is not nearly as physical as it once was, but I do think the women's game has gotten more so over time. It has matured, however, and I don't see that same steady increase in the use of strength that I did a decade or so ago. In fact, I'd say that the game, at all levels, is slightly less physical than a few years ago, but not so much so that the casual fan would notice.

Players and fans who don't like that physical aspect are migrating to volleyball, it appears, and because more girls prefer no-contact sports than contact sports, only volleyball's unsuitability for TV has, I think, kept it from taking over as the top team sport for women.

PostPosted: 07/23/14 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
jlight wrote:
pilight wrote:

peck is voting for DEE.

It didn't work out that way last year, did it?

To me, Griner is the main key to PHX's improvement this year with Taylor's full return being the second leading factor. It's the same old Taurasi only the team is winning because of these other factors, so she does less stupid things out of frustration. Less technical fouls this year....am I correct?

I didn't say I agreed with Lobo, just saying what Lobo said Smile

Last year I wouldn't have voted for Parker for MVP, I would actually have voted for Angel.

This year, so far it's close between Maya and Diana, there is no wrong choice between the 2 of them. Maya is leading the league in scoring and kept Minny in it without Brunson until now and no Augustus for the past few games.

Diana is also having a great season, and Phoenix has flourished since moving her to the 1. I'd probably pick Maya at this point in the season, yes, but Diana isn't a worthless choice is all I'm saying Smile

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/23/14 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

The only reason I might not have Maya MVP is that she's had more bad games than Taurasi. Otherwise best player on best team isn't fair, because the Lynx have been without Brunson 23 games and Augustus for 9 games, and there's been a couple Lynx losses this year in which having Brunson likely could've made a difference.

If the voters voted like they did last year, they'd knock on Taurasi for playing with Dupree, healthy PFT & Griner playing like an All-WNBAer all season like they did with Maya for playing with Whalen & Augustus all season, though Maya was arguably better than Parker and the best player on the best team.

This "Bad Games" metric is not all that accurate. Because of the Lynx's injuries, if Maya is even a little off it will hurt the team. With all the weapons that Phoenix has going for them, Taurasi can take an off game and turn into a distributer and not have it cost them the game.

Maya has not had a single game in which she has scored in single digits this season. Taurasi has 2. Taurasi has also had an 11pt, and two 14pt outings. When Maya has games like these, the Lynx lose. Taurasi can have them and the Mercury can not only win, but blow out their opponent.

This is not to say that DT isn't having an amazing year, and is a key to the Mercury's record, just that to hold "bad games" against Maya because as she goes so do the Lynx this year, is a bit unbalanced. The other side of the coin is how many games has the Lynx won because Maya went off, versus how many the Merc have won because DT did. To only look at one side of that relationship and not the other sells what Maya is doing short.

I think you are either trying so desperately to not be a homer that you are missing the forest for the trees, or else you are so disappointed in the games the Lynx have lost that you are missing all those that they won.

PostPosted: 07/23/14 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
And also, women really only have two contact sport options -- basketball and soccer -- though water polo is on the rise. (In lacrosse, boys can check but girls can't.)

You left out the greatest sport of them all: hockey.

Women aren't allowed to check, but that doesn't mean it's not physical. The checking rule just says that you can't hit someone just to hit them, you have to be going after the puck. But a whole heck of a lot of contact happens under the "going for the puck" rule.

But outside of a few hockey hotbeds on the East Coast, in the upper Midwest, Colorado, and Canada, it's probably not going to be a true option for most young women (unfortunately). But it sure is fun to watch.

PostPosted: 07/23/14 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus it just shows how much more valuable Maya is too her team. If she has a off shooting night the Lynx are screwed, Diana is off Mercury aren't that screwed.

justintyme wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

This "Bad Games" metric is not all that accurate. Because of the Lynx's injuries, if Maya is even a little off it will hurt the team. With all the weapons that Phoenix has going for them, Taurasi can take an off game and turn into a distributer and not have it cost them the game.

Maya has not had a single game in which she has scored in single digits this season. Taurasi has 2. Taurasi has also had an 11pt, and two 14pt outings. When Maya has games like these, the Lynx lose. Taurasi can have them and the Mercury can not only win, but blow out their opponent.

This is not to say that DT isn't having an amazing year, and is a key to the Mercury's record, just that to hold "bad games" against Maya because as she goes so do the Lynx this year, is a bit unbalanced. The other side of the coin is how many games has the Lynx won because Maya went off, versus how many the Merc have won because DT did. To only look at one side of that relationship and not the other sells what Maya is doing short.

I think you are either trying so desperately to not be a homer that you are missing the forest for the trees, or else you are so disappointed in the games the Lynx have lost that you are missing all those that they won.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA TV will be re-airing this game on Sunday July 27 at 2:00 pm ET.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/26/14 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NBA TV will be re-airing this game on Sunday July 27 at 2:00 pm ET.
I saw that too on my cable channel guide. Needless to say I am disgusted with NBA TV. I was looking forward to watching that game on TV this past Tuesday. They gave no reason why the game was not broadcast. The other thing that I do not like about NBA TV is the fact they do not broadcast enough games during the summer. The NBA season is over and the only live men games going on during the summer are the few weeks of summer league games. They have no excuse not to broadcast more games. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think they were allowed to broadcast Tuesday's game because of a conflict with ESPN. I have no idea why it was shown on the NBA TV schedule in the first place. Unless I am mistaken, but I believe all games conflicting with ESPN 2 go to ESPN 3.

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I don't think they were allowed to broadcast Tuesday's game because of a conflict with ESPN. I have no idea why it was shown on the NBA TV schedule in the first place. Unless I am mistaken, but I believe all games conflicting with ESPN 2 go to ESPN 3.
The schedule conflict makes sense if the WNBA has a contract with ESPN that states no other broadcaster can televise a game the same time as their game. This does not excuse NBA TV from not broadcasting more WNBA games.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: