71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Storm
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, Tina's been unstoppable down the stretch...until that last miss. Wow, so close.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YEAHHHHH! Great game.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tough loss for the Storm. Should of gotten this one

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic finish by Charles. Great win.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HUGE win for the Liberty!! We move to 6-7 and are 6-3 since starting the season 0-4 with three of those wins without Zahui B & Hartley. Charles was a beast in the 4th and another big game by Nurse. So proud!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYSports56

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Nurse is not getting nearly enough touches for how well she's been playing

Part of this was because it felt like Seattle's entire defense in the second half was based upon not letting Nurse and Charles beat them. Tina beat 'em anyway. A lot of credit goes to the passers for finding Tina down low when she was double-teamed, after which Tina's hook shot, both left and right, tore the Storm double-teams apart.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing performance by Tina considering how much of the defense was geared to stop her. Some really great passes by Boyd too. A little lucky at the end (wth was Seattle doing after that time out) as Seattle failed to capitalize on switches on Howard multiple times. Still, Seattle was 5-1 at home and the Libs scored 84 points against a very strong defensive team.

For NY, I think there's ample reason to believe the best is yet to come. And can we give Wright some kudos? She played really well, mostly in place of Durr, who struggled some with Seattle's defensive pressure. Learning experience for the rookie, who has shown excellent capacity to move forward from those experiences. But great job by Wright, who picked up the slack. Katie's subs were on point throughout the game. Even the AWT sub really helped. Her physicality and length was a needed matchup at the time on Russell. People had every reason to criticize Katie last year. But I think you have to give her credit for really moving forward this year. Her situational substitutions have improved significantly.

My goal coming out of the Chicago game, knowing we would probably lose the Minnesota game, was to get from 3-6 to 6-9. I'm pleased that they've done that at minimum, having gotten to 6-7. The next two games are where you would expect fatigue and travel to really start to be a factor, along with the fact that the matchups themselves are much less favorable. Hoping for Kiah's return on Sunday against Vegas. Even for 10 minutes off the bench it would give a shot in the arm to what has been a 3-person post rotation. I don't expect to win either of the next two, but winning 1 would be awesome. Phoenix is highly unpredictable. Vegas has a negative travel situation Friday into Sunday as well. So I guess you never know. Being realistic, even 6-9 leaves us in ok position with reinforcements coming. Anything more would be even better. As of now the Libs are a game out of fourth place...and the roster is going to be improved by July 12th, with the capacity for the major improvement by 7/20. At that point we should be at full strength.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 07/03/19 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
zune69

PostPosted: 07/03/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty are ascending.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/03/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Katie Smith COY!

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/03/19 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Katie Smith COY!

If there's a Most Improved Player award let's give out a Most Improved Coach award. Very Happy

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/03/19 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Nurse! Mr. Green

<iframe width="320" height="240" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tOTF62sBWbc?start=55" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    '..make me feel better!' Cool

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/03/19 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Katie Smith COY!

If there's a Most Improved Player award let's give out a Most Improved Coach award. Very Happy

Confused Shocked

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/03/19 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping that the 3-game winning streak would produce more positive discussion among Libs fans.

PostPosted: 07/04/19 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I was hoping that the 3-game winning streak would produce more positive discussion among Libs fans.

Personally, I don't see the Liberty losing another game all year. Is it too soon to talk about our chances of a repeat next year?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/04/19 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Personally, I don't see the Liberty losing another game all year. Is it too soon to talk about our chances of a repeat next year?

If I say I think our team won't go undefeated for the rest of 2019, does that make me a "fake" fan? Smile

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/04/19 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I didn't mean that there was negative discussion in this thread or that there should be some type of euphoria over a win. I just meant that losses and discussions over this player vs. that player have sparked threads at least twice as long as this. But now that there's positive stuff to talk about there's not much being said by comparison. I'm just kind of surprised. I mean, if nothing else, they came back from ten down in the fourth quarter against a team that was 5-1 at home. Last year's team, faced with being down 10 in the fourth quarter would have probably wilted. This year's team has pretty much shown character and heart, which I know you've said yourself prior. But I regard you as one of the positive ones.

Just being honest, 4 games ago, there were paragraphs upon paragraphs being written about Han. Now people are barely writing anything compared to that. Do we need something to argue about in order to write thoughtful stuff? I'm not trying to get back into that debate, it is what it is. Just saying. It seems like the negative brings more discussion out in us. I'm not singling anyone out in that and I'm including myself in it. I was one of the people writing multiple paragraphs.

PostPosted: 07/04/19 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since I haven't been one of "the positive ones," I'm happy to say that this year's team has shown character and heart far more than last year. It's certainly impressive to come from 10 points down fairly late in the game and win against a team that was 5-1 at home before today.

I've been very critical of Katie Smith as head coach and I'm far from sold on her. But I'll say this: so far her handling of this year's crucial rookie (Asia Durr) has been much better than her handling of last year's crucial rookie (Kia Nurse).

P.S. to NYL_WNBA_FAN: I think your point about the length of certain discussions is valid and interesting. One part of it, though, is that a disagreement of any kind is likely to provoke much more discussion than agreement. If, for example, someone writes that Kia Nurse has dramatically improved from last season--or that Reshanda Gray has been a very important addition to the roster--how much can I add to that?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/04/19 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

P.S. to NYL_WNBA_FAN: I think your point about the length of certain discussions is valid and interesting. One part of it, though, is that a disagreement of any kind is likely to provoke much more discussion than agreement. If, for example, someone writes that Kia Nurse has dramatically improved from last season--or that Reshanda Gray has been a very important addition to the roster--how much can I add to that?

That is indeed a fair point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

PostPosted: 07/04/19 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Since I haven't been one of "the positive ones," I'm happy to say that this year's team has shown character and heart far more than last year. It's certainly impressive to come from 10 points down fairly late in the game and win against a team that was 5-1 at home before today.

I've been very critical of Katie Smith as head coach and I'm far from sold on her. But I'll say this: so far her handling of this year's crucial rookie (Asia Durr) has been much better than her handling of last year's crucial rookie (Kia Nurse).

There were like 3 or 4 times during the game where I thought to myself that last year's team would have folded, but this year's team punched back. It's been happening all year.

I've been hugely critical of Katie as well. Like Bob, a lot more has to happen before I'm convinced, but she's done a great job so far. I really didn't think the team would play with this kind of character regularly with her at the helm, but here we are, winning three games in a row without 4 players. The competition was not elite, but who could have predicted this?

Maybe that's why there's no talk: everybody's too stunned to type! At the start of the game, I was almost feeling greedy rooting for another win. A third helping after the horrible famine? Without our two starting centers? What alternate universe did we all just step into? I'm pretty sure my next Rebkell post is going to begin "hey, everyone, you wouldn't believe the dream I had last night..."

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/04/19 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
[ At the start of the game, I was almost feeling greedy rooting for another win. A third helping after the horrible famine? Without our two starting centers? What alternate universe did we all just step into? I'm pretty sure my next Rebkell post is going to begin "hey, everyone, you wouldn't believe the dream I had last night..."

LOL

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/04/19 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Winning in Seattle is always cause for celebration one of the toughest places to play in the w even when the storm are bad.

I think we're in the same spot the aces were in last year...full of youth and middle of road vets finally breaking out...so do you got full throttle and gun it to stay out of the dreaded 7-8 2 road game zone or do you hold tight at the 8/9 line knowing 14-15 wins puts you at a lower aggregate than Atlanta the current cellar dweller

Honestly if the plane ride from hell didn't happen I think Bill would have had a much tougher decision.

So much is game to game...let's are if adding 4 players helps or hurts esp stokes given how much an asset Gray has been

Gonna say what to I said to my friends in not so low places

Next 2 games

Split em we are where we are

Lose em play for Sabrina

Win em...pick a cheesy 80s song (other than gloria, no biting) to rally behind after each win...and GO FOR IT lol

We are nearing the 16 game mark after all so winning these 2 and going over 500 would be that big a deal...at least lib fans get some fun and nurse and durr developing great

Still not sold on Katie still think her sets are a bit rudimentary but I think last year's morale problems were more hating Dolan and the harasser and some bad apples no longer here (Prince and Vaughn im looking at you)

PostPosted: 07/04/19 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Winning in Seattle is always cause for celebration one of the toughest places to play in the w even when the storm are bad.

I think we're in the same spot the aces were in last year...full of youth and middle of road vets finally breaking out...so do you got full throttle and gun it to stay out of the dreaded 7-8 2 road game zone or do you hold tight at the 8/9 line knowing 14-15 wins puts you at a lower aggregate than Atlanta the current cellar dweller

Honestly if the plane ride from hell didn't happen I think Bill would have had a much tougher decision.

So much is game to game...let's are if adding 4 players helps or hurts esp stokes given how much an asset Gray has been

Gonna say what to I said to my friends in not so low places

Next 2 games

Split em we are where we are

Lose em play for Sabrina

Win em...pick a cheesy 80s song (other than gloria, no biting) to rally behind after each win...and GO FOR IT lol

We are nearing the 16 game mark after all so winning these 2 and going over 500 would be that big a deal...at least lib fans get some fun and nurse and durr developing great

Still not sold on Katie still think her sets are a bit rudimentary but I think last year's morale problems were more hating Dolan and the harasser and some bad apples no longer here (Prince and Vaughn im looking at you)

Odds of Sabrina are ridiculously slim even if we lose both, no point. Plus, I'm telling you bro, bookmark this page. If the team stays healthy, particularly the returnees, they are going to make an impact. Even with Gray's performance, against anybody who spreads the court with some size inside, she's a defensive liability. I promise you the returnees are going to be in a position to make an impact. If healthy, which I keep stressing. The schedule is remarkably in our favor after Sunday. Four days off before two winnable road games on the 12th and the 14th. Five days off in NY to get ready for a home game with LA and to integrate the whole group. 3 MORE days in NY followed by a bus ride to CT to play a weekday game (we almost always compete well in those) to play a team vulnerable in appearance. Two more winnable road games from 8/1-8/7...spread out with an 8/3 home game in between. Followed by another week in NY with two home games. By that first week in August we should have a balanced, deep team that is gelling and really ready to roll. We saw how favorable scheduling could help in 2017 when a mediocre 12-12 team won its final ten. This team is more talented than that 2017 team and that's pretty hard to argue in my opinion. The only difference is that it's younger. But the young players are proving to be core players and I'd rather have Wright or Johannes on the floor as a stabilizing presence than Hartley, who overachieved in 2017 but has been pretty mediocre since (ok assists but terrible court vision and low shooting %). The league is worse than it was in 2017 as well. Katie is a wild card but I think she's doing really well for the most part. I think the rudimentary appearance of the offense is predicated on getting Tina the ball inside. It says to me that the back spasms are not a factor this year. Do I wish the offense was a bit more diversified? I do, but it's hard to argue against going to the player who draws double or triple teams for a large majority of her touches. Little by little they've been going to Durr when she has matchup advantages, but it's not easy to equally get touches to 3 scorers who all have potential to lead the team on a given night. To me, they're in the middle of the league offensively even while shorthanded...with Tina and Nurse entering yesterday each shooting under 40%. I'd say look out once they can really spread the floor for Tina, which they should be better able to do later in the summer.

Again, this all goes out the window with injuries. Time will tell.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/04/19 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see....

Well, Seattle blew the game, and NY was lucky to beat an injury-depleted opponent.

There. Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: