56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
Mercury
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's great that CP is playing well, but dang LA, y'all gotta help her out. Not Parker was 3-20 from the floor Ryan said? That's not good at all.

Bonner is playing great but she better be careful she doesn't get a T.

Tally24

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Key difference in this matchup is that Beard doesn’t seem to be in DT’s head.
jap

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our proto-Messiah is making some offensive noise. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok then. Taurasi jumps over Vadeeva's back and it's a foul on Vadeeva. Rolling Eyes

- Amanda Gorman
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Me: what the hell are you doing DB, we have five seconds..we don’t need to take a ridiculous half court shot —

Also Me: NICE SHOT DB!!! GREAT DECISION MAKING.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ok then. Taurasi jumps over Vadeeva's back and it's a foul on Vadeeva. Rolling Eyes

She elbowed her in the face.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonner from way downtown...BANG!

Merc leads 67-54 at the of the 3rd quarter.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

yeah, as Taurasi pulls her down.

- Amanda Gorman
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/12/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

No, as Taurasi was jumping up.

It was clearly a foul.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats not a travel from Talbot on that spin Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess ESPN had it wrong... how is LA ahead of CT when they have the same record and CT beat LA twice ?

SCook

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riquans was taking shots like She was the first option... Candace was in there. Goodness.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woot, we beat a playoff team. Laughing

Can’t complain about the rotation today. I can live with Little for seven minutes. #IfWeMust. And I don’t even mind trying out both Mitch and Turner, and then going with the one playing the best. I’m just glad to see Turner back on the floor.

Candace scores the first 12 points for her team, DT has a new assist career high, Brit has a double double by half...and DB managed to have the best game.

Got nervous for a second with DT, that looked like a knee twist at first. Glad to see she was okay.

All right Phoenix...let’s win out and see if we can Skip the first round.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Pulls who down? She literally went for the rebound and Vadeeva inadvertently caught her with the elbow.

The same thing happened with Nneka and BG.

Both calls were fair

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting tha Vadeeva playing 15 minutes tonight and Lavender just 8. I wonder if Lavender will be a Spark member next season. She really hasn't shown much this season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jap

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Interesting tha Vadeeva playing 15 minutes tonight and Lavender just 8. I wonder if Lavender will be a Spark member next season. She really hasn't shown much this season.

Masha has played more minutes than Jantel for a couple of games now. If we can get Marianna Tolo to pair with Masha as post reserves backing up starters Nneka and CP3, we can be fine.

PostPosted: 08/12/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spraks now in 5th and could fall all the way to 7th. Have to play DC and CT on the road. Probably will beat the Liberty though. Can no longer get to second.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/12/18 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, Vadeeva covering the 5 & Tolo covering the 4 next season would be great. No need to keep Lavender. Is she a UFA next season?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
willtalk

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Pulls who down? She literally went for the rebound and Vadeeva inadvertently caught her with the elbow.

Both calls were fair

DT did get elbowed in the face but she initiated the contact. The ball was over Vadeeva's head and she was just going straight up with her elbow slightly bent. DT jumped right into Vadeeva's left side and hit her face on her elbow in the process. A Player needs to be able to go straight up when they have position. The area above the shoulders is supposed to belong to that player. That was just a case of a rookie not getting the call against a Star.

She does foul a lot, but still refs seldom give Vadeeva any benefit of the doubt which is one reason why she leads in fouls called. Fowls, on the other hand, seems to constantly get away with really dirty purposeful hits. She constantly dishes out punishment on screens and throws elbows when ever she can. She is always swinging her free forearm away from her body on both offensive and defensive plays.

The situation with Griners foul on Nneka and Vadeeva's on DT were not at all alike. On Griners foul against Nneka, her arms where away from her body and not above her shoulders like Vadeeva's were. DT aggressively jumped into the side of Vadeeva's so that her head entered the space above her shoulders. It was like over the back but instead of the back it was from the side. Dt had no shot at the ball at all but still initiated contact. And unlike Griner Vadeeva was stationary and had position.

SCook

PostPosted: 08/13/18 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
SCook wrote:
myrtle wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Both calls were fair

DT did get elbowed in the face but she initiated the contact. The ball was over Vadeeva's head and she was just going straight up with her elbow slightly bent. DT jumped right into Vadeeva's left side and hit her face on her elbow in the process. A Player needs to be able to go straight up when they have position. The area above the shoulders is supposed to belong to that player. That was just a case of a rookie not getting the call against a Star.

She does foul a lot, but still refs seldom give Vadeeva any benefit of the doubt which is one reason why she leads in fouls called. Fowls, on the other hand, seems to constantly get away with really dirty purposeful hits. She constantly dishes out punishment on screens and throws elbows when ever she can. She is always swinging her free forearm away from her body on both offensive and defensive plays.

The situation with Griners foul on Nneka and Vadeeva's on DT were not at all alike. On Griners foul against Nneka, her arms where away from her body and not above her shoulders like Vadeeva's were. DT aggressively jumped into the side of Vadeeva's so that her head entered the space above her shoulders. It was like over the back but instead of the back it was from the side. Dt had no shot at the ball at all but still initiated contact. And unlike Griner Vadeeva was stationary and had position.

Regardless of her initiating contact, the elbow came down. Vadeeva went up and had the space to land. Her hand came down and hit Diana in the face. It's a foul regardless of how you see.

Cambage and BG have been called for this same foul and they are both taller than her and their arms have moved less than hers.

It's a foul. Lately, majority of the contact above the shoulders, whether purposely or inadvertently has been called.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its only called a foul now because they review almost everything. In the past and overseas this is a no call. Inadvertent contact, play on

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/13/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Its only called a foul now because they review almost everything. In the past and overseas this is a no call. Inadvertent contact, play on

You don’t get to elbow someone in the face and call it a”move on”
She didn’t inadvertently elbow DT. She knew DT was there, and the elbow popped out more. There was no reason for her to shoot her elbow back, but to clear space. (It wasn’t like she was coming down with the ball, and DT was to the side of her.)

Not only do Griner and Liz get called for much less (like, true incidental contact), but they usually get called for a flagrant on it too.

PostPosted: 08/13/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva looked good, and then I saw she only had one rebound ... but the two threes looked smooth, as if she can do that all the time.

She will be a player, no doubt, but can Agler play her and her fouls and inexperience in what look to be two do-or-die games?

PostPosted: 08/13/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good game by PHX. Its about time BG started rebounding. For some reason, she only comes to play against certain teams. DB was light out (seems like no one wanted to even attempt to guard her). I like how Bay Bay was aggressive for LA. It seems like no one else wanted to be aggressive accept for Bay Bay, Chelsea Gray, and Vadeeva

1. what is up with LA. Does Alger have certain players under restraints?
Its like no one wanted to shoot the ball until it go later in the shot clock. I thougt Sims would have been more aggressive since PHX doesn't have anyone who can keep up with her on the perimeter. LA passed up a lot of open shots. Phoenix gave them at least 2 feet of space. They should have been more aggressive at trying to score the ball.

2. Agler just gave up. At the beginning of the 4th, he did not put Neka or Beard back in the game. I though that they could have made a run. Even though Vadeeva was playing well, he still could have kept her in the game and put Candace Parker in at the the three and let Gray play the one.

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/13/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Vadeeva looked good, and then I saw she only had one rebound ... but the two threes looked smooth, as if she can do that all the time.

She will be a player, no doubt, but can Agler play her and her fouls and inexperience in what look to be two do-or-die games?

Stats do not always reflect a players play, especially when it comes to rebounds. If the ball does not come in your direction you can not get the rebound. Vadeeva unlike most of the other posts on LA does block out her man. She also helps out on defense quite a bit. That is why sh often gets those recovery fouls. Rebound stats involve a bit of luck since sometimes the ball just bounces right to a player. Evaluating a players game is more about how well they make use of an opportunity when it presents itself. The same is true with assists. Those depend on your teammates hitting their shots. Individual games often give a false image, but over time these things tend to even themselves out.

I personally have been a fan of Vadeeva's for quite some time. It is really difficult to get a real evaluation of a player when they are not given minutes to get comfortable. Angler always had her on a short lease and would pull her out after a few minutes. LA has no other physical posts. The rest avoid contact and except for Nneka want to hang on the parameter. In the few minutes she has been given game time I have noticed that her physical style as bothered many an opposing post player. She appears to be far stronger than he size makes her appear.

In respect to Parker, she played really well in the first half. It did seem to me that there was a specific point still far too early in the game when she decided her effort was over. That is the problem with her game. You never know when she will quit giving effort. It can happen at any time in any game. People do not recognize how difficult is is for teammates to play with a sporadic player. When the offense revolves around a player teammates often end up standing around watching, So when that player quits or their shots quit dropping it is difficult for them to suddenly again get involved in the offense again once they are out of sync. The announcers say Parker needs help but much of that was circumstance. Parkers shots were just dropping.

I must say that in this game Parker did not dominate the ball as much. She just took the opportunities that were presented to her. Still her teammates still fell into that same pattern and didn't get back into a sans Parker offense until she was on the bench when the made that come back.That was with Parker on the bench. They tend get into a pattern of deferring to her when she is on the floor. They way they play with out her is entirely different. They move the ball better.

Parker is very effective in and likes to play an isolation game. That hinders ball movement at which the rest of the team ( except for Nnika ) excels . They need to learn to switch back and forth from one to the other within the game depending on variables. I often saw this same problem manifest itself on NBA teams that had ball dominant players many years back. The same players would have great stats and dominate parts of and certain games but at the expense of their teams overall success. Unlike those players Parker has shown she can also play without needing to be totally ball dominant. I think she got off track during Nnika's absence although she had been trending in that direction already.

Most basketball fans tend to focus on their player favorites and less on team play.So they ignore the effects on a team just as long as their player crush does well. I personally never cared for ball dominant players. There is a time and a place for that, but it should be at the end of the shot clock or at the end of quarters, halves or games.

Last edited by willtalk on 08/13/18 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: