RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Michael Cooper fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think all of this was a cost cutting move including the trade. Owners cutting costs everywhere possible and Cooper probably had a high salary. The probably decided to fire him and told him to trade away the FRP so they wouldn't have to scout college players and wouldn't need to hire a replacement soon. I'm guessing they go for a cheap assistant coach somewhere (esp after seeing Amber Stocks exceeding expectations ). If Angel is coming back they probably can't hire any good coach since they wouldn't want to put up with her.

So I'm not a fan of this move. (Trying to type in a moving car is had

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Ooh I like the sound of Smith and the Dream.

I see her as more of an Indy coach. Are they keeping Pokey?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think all of this was a cost cutting move including the trade. Owners cutting costs everywhere possible and Cooper probably had a high salary. The probably decided to fire him and told him to trade away the FRP so they wouldn't have to scout college players and wouldn't need to hire a replacement soon. I'm guessing they go for a cheap assistant coach somewhere (esp after seeing Amber Stocks exceeding expectations ). If Angel is coming back they probably can't hire any good coach since they wouldn't want to put up with her.

Man you know you are NOT suppose to text and drive at the same time. Very Happy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a passenger don't worry.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/05/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Trading away the lottery pick wouldn't have been a problem if he got results.

If he got results it wouldn't have been a lottery pick

Exactly. It was just a first round pick at the time of the trade.

If Atlanta made the playoffs, Cooper would still be the dream HC in 2018.The post trade record means nothing

I'm not following you. How do you separate the two?

The 1st rd pick ended up being a lottery pick.....I also believe the poor play of Boyette,or Cooper not playing Boyette played a factor in him getting fired.Like really,Boyette avg 2.7p/2.9r/ in only 9 mpg after the trade.Even if Atlanta made the playoffs,i'd probably fire Cooper.

Hmm...if Boyette played great,and atlanta missed the playoff,would Cooper still have his job ?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If everyone is playing "great", who do you miss the playoffs? He's got the ROY. He's got Clarendon setting new assist record. Williams was an All Star. If Boyette played great, that should have been enough to help them to the playoffs. They didn't miss the playoffs by much.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
petrel

PostPosted: 09/05/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA teams have "The Process" for acquiring players.

We have "The Process" for coaches - keep firing them until we can get one that can deliver us a championship.

#trusttheprocess

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/05/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Why would you get rid of a draft pick because it costs too much to scout when us unpaid basement-dwelling fans can just as easily make draft picks most years?

Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would you raise ticket prices when fans are not showing up for games. Why would you think you can fire your way to a championship when it has failed twice before?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless there happened to be a release clause in his contract or it had run out, you wouldn't typically fire a head coach to save money. Then you end up having to pay him off and pay the new person as well. The cheaper option in that situation is usually to let the existing coach keep going whether it's working for the team or not.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Unless there happened to be a release clause in his contract or it had run out, you wouldn't typically fire a head coach to save money. Then you end up having to pay him off and pay the new person as well. The cheaper option in that situation is usually to let the existing coach keep going whether it's working for the team or not.

WNBA contracts may be a lot different from NBA contracts, which usually seem to require a fixed term. But, maybe his contract ended with the end of the season. Also, if he gets another job, that would usually be an offset against his contract money. I obviously have no inside info, so I am merely guessing.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The firing announcement also struck me as odd for two reasons. First, there was no statement about the team searching for a replacement, and second, no mention of Angel being part of the teams exciting 2018 roster (Hayes, Williams, Clarendon and Sykes.)

pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The firing announcement also struck me as odd for two reasons. First, there was no statement about the team searching for a replacement, and second, no mention of Angel being part of the teams exciting 2018 roster (Hayes, Williams, Clarendon and Sykes.)

They can't mention a player who's not under contract.

The email they sent out to Dream Elite members mentions the coaching search.

Quote:
There are many talented coaches out there, and we will take the time to evaluate the ones we feel will best complement our organization and lead our team. Because you are also a vital part of this team, we will make every effort to keep you updated as we get closer to our final decision

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hey Dream fans- maybe Anne Donovan is available.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my case, the club declined to exercise the option. In this case, i believe the contract was expired and they chose to go another direction.
The headline... fired.. is a bad description.
Thats what contracts are about... It also works both ways.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

cthskzfn - no thanks. We don't need Bone either.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Cooper's contract was expiring,why would the dream frontoffice give him the power to make the Boyette trade ?......Cooper basically made a trade to save his job.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Carol Ross ?

I was thinking the same thing too. Carol as a Dream assistant from 2009-2011, before being the head coach of the L.A. Sparks. But Karleen Thompson was listed as "Associate Head Coach" for the Dream this season, so I would guess she might be interested in an interview.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Trading away the lottery pick cost Cooper his job.

Going 2-10 after trading the pick cost Cooper his job
Both I agree this will haunt the dream for seasonS after it happened...Angel or no Angel...agree Firable offense...I expect a long off season for many coaches...this is but the beginning IMHO

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
If Cooper's contract was expiring,why would the dream frontoffice give him the power to make the Boyette trade ?......Cooper basically made a trade to save his job.

There were plenty of people who thought it was a good trade at the time. I felt like I was in the minority in saying that the only way it could work out well for Atlanta was if Boyette really succeeded.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ATL, get Katie Smith on the horn...

zune69

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

There were plenty of people who thought it was a good trade at the time. I felt like I was in the minority in saying that the only way it could work out well for Atlanta was if Boyette really succeeded.

Including myself....However.had I known Cooper's contract was expiring,I would have been 100% against him making the trade.You don't let lame duck coaches trade highly valued assets.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Carol Ross ?

I was thinking the same thing too. Carol as a Dream assistant from 2009-2011, before being the head coach of the L.A. Sparks. But Karleen Thompson was listed as "Associate Head Coach" for the Dream this season, so I would guess she might be interested in an interview.

Carol has the resume and history:

*Former Dream assistant coach

*COY

*58-32 in 2+ seasons as HC.That's a .644 win%....3rd highest all-time....I excluded R.Pennell,he only coached 13 games(9-4 .692%)

Carol's 3rd season in LA was a struggle.....Trading away your two best 3 pt shooters(O'Hea 50%,Coleman 40%) who also gave the sparks size at the SF position,and adding a non long rang shooter(Herrington) who was too small to play SF,was just stupid.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Carol Ross ?

Carol has the resume and history:

*Former Dream assistant coach

*COY

*58-32 in 2+ seasons as HC.That's a .644 win%....3rd highest all-time....I excluded R.Pennell,he only coached 13 games(9-4 .692%)

Carol's 3rd season in LA was a struggle.....Trading away your two best 3 pt shooters(O'Hea 50%,Coleman 40%) who also gave the sparks size at the SF position,and adding a non long rang shooter(Herrington) who was too small to play SF,was just stupid.

Coleman wasn't traded. She signed with Indy as a UFA. LA didn't really have a say on that one.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Including myself....However.had I known Cooper's contract was expiring,I would have been 100% against him making the trade.You don't let lame duck coaches trade highly valued assets.

If you think it's a good trade entirely independent of who the coach is, then sure you do. No reason not to.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: