Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Salary Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
According to this and my memory, the six players with the highest salary, $113,500, are Sue Bird, Sancho Lyttle, Jia Perkins, Candace Parker, Skylar Diggins and Emma Meesseman.

Why would those last two get max money with so few years in the WNBA?

Both were signed to extensions after their rookie contracts and they got the standard renewal max which is 113,500.

Richyyy wrote:
No reason they shouldn't. The max doesn't escalate based on years of experience like it does in the NBA. Once you're off the rookie scale, you can sign for the max figure, and it is what it is.

I'm not familiar with all the details of how salaries work. Let me ask it a different way. Lots of players are off the rookie scale, many of them better than Diggins or certainly Meesseman, so why wouldn't more than four other players signed for the $13,500 max? Stated differently, I don't understand why Diggins or Meeseman would be paid more than Taurasi or Charles.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeing this almost made me puke. Karima Has to go no way she gets more money shes already overpaid!

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Seeing this almost made me puke. Karima Has to go no way she gets more money shes already overpaid!

Problem is that if the numbers are right - then Dallas in under the cap minimum. So it really cost Dallas nothing to overpay a player like Karima. If she wasn't getting it the money would spread out to other players. Dallas also had to pay her a lot to get her to come in the first place and stay. (Recall - Tulsa wasn't exactly a highly desired WNBA destination.)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Problem is that if the numbers are right - then Dallas in under the cap minimum. So it really cost Dallas nothing to overpay a player like Karima. If she wasn't getting it the money would spread out to other players. Dallas also had to pay her a lot to get her to come in the first place and stay. (Recall - Tulsa wasn't exactly a highly desired WNBA destination.)

Dallas's total isn't actually that low - it doesn't list the payoff to Phillips when they cut her guaranteed deal. Christmas was a restricted free agent when they signed her and you invariably have to overpay those players to have any chance of their existing team letting them walk.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The idea that a quarter of the league makes as much (or more!) as Diana Taurasi seems like a design flaw of some kind. I'm trying to imagine if there were a hundred players in the NBA that got paid the same amount of money as LeBron James...

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
The idea that a quarter of the league makes as much (or more!) as Diana Taurasi seems like a design flaw of some kind. I'm trying to imagine if there were a hundred players in the NBA that got paid the same amount of money as LeBron James...

WNBA Players Association is more like a traditional union, where pay is mainly decided by seniority. The rank and file players vote their interests rather than the dupes in the NBA that defer to the superstars.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

WNBA Players Association is more like a traditional union, where pay is mainly decided by seniority. The rank and file players vote their interests rather than the dupes in the NBA that defer to the superstars.

I'm guessing if the superstars made all the money, then the lesser players & rookies would make almost nothing because the pot of money to split is so (relatively) small.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Dallas's total isn't actually that low - it doesn't list the payoff to Phillips when they cut her guaranteed deal. Christmas was a restricted free agent when they signed her and you invariably have to overpay those players to have any chance of their existing team letting them walk.

Dump Christmas right after the playoffs sign liz to whatever her max rookie contract allows. Find another Backup SF or wait til the draft. I was a karima homer and thinking maybe she could stay around next season but after reevaluating her play this season no way she deserves more or the amount shes paid now! #Cut the Tree!!!

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can pay Liz the max salary if they like. No limit (aside from salary max) after a rookies first season is over.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think with Powers, Gray and Davis, Dallas wouldn't need her and Christmas would be looking for a new team. I'm thinking NY.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that I find the idea that there are some role players in the WNBA who make the same amount of money as the best players in the league to be distasteful.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/29/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'm not familiar with all the details of how salaries work. Let me ask it a different way. Lots of players are off the rookie scale, many of them better than Diggins or certainly Meesseman, so why wouldn't more than four other players signed for the $13,500 max? Stated differently, I don't understand why Diggins or Meeseman would be paid more than Taurasi or Charles.

1) The maximum salary changes every year. If you have an older contract, it's going to be less.

2) You get an extra 2,500 for re-signing with your team. If you sign elsewhere, you don't get the 2,500.

3) As others have mentioned, you don't have to take the maximum even if you're entitled. If your team is bumping up against the salary cap, you may choose to sacrifice some money to allow them to sign another key player. It depends on how important winning is to you versus money.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the NBA the max salary is what $25 m per year. The min is about 1M. That's 25:1. In the WNBA its 113.5 to about 40, less than 3:1. That's where it is skewed. If the minimum was say 20k (like the G league) the max would have to be 500k. They may well be worth it.

Like the NBA, however, there are lots of bad contracts in the WNBA too - Morello for over 100k, just as an example.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/29/17 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA shouldn't be compared to NBA. It's a completely different, if not ersatz, product. A better comparison would be the actors in an off-off-Broadway play that runs for only 35 performances. IM anachronistic O, $100K is very good money for such a product.

In any event, paying Riquna Williams and Jantel Lavender the same as Nneka O seems ludicrous.
zune69

PostPosted: 08/29/17 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes @ K.Vaughn making more than T.Charles.

Rolling Eyes @ A.Mongomery making the max.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just did a search and the first post I could find where I complained about the lack of stratification in the WNBA salary structure was in March 2008. It's been this way a long-ass time.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I just did a search and the first post I could find where I complained about the lack of stratification in the WNBA salary structure was in March 2008. It's been this way a long-ass time.

Which contract spurred that one, Kraayeveld?

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In any event, paying Riquna Williams and Jantel Lavender the same as Nneka O seems ludicrous.

That was my point: I wasn't trying to make a straight-line comparison between the NBA and the WNBA. My point is that it offends my sensibilities that there are WNBA role players making the same amount of money as WNBA superstars.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe there are errors in the Liberty numbers. Prince got a contract extension in September, so she should be making 113,500. Zellous signed with New York last year, so she should be making the 2016 new team rate of 109,000. Charles was a RFA when she was traded. I would think signing with the Liberty is technically re-signing with her "old" team since they acquired her rights. Either that or it was a sign and trade which has the same result. So, Tina should be making 107,500. I wouldn't take these numbers as gospel.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Which contract spurred that one, Kraayeveld?

It had become an overarching conversation by that point, but the thread was about PeeWee Johnson signing with Houston. Further illustration of how freaking long ago it was.

PostPosted: 08/29/17 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I believe there are errors in the Liberty numbers. Prince got a contract extension in September, so she should be making 113,500. Zellous signed with New York last year, so she should be making the 2016 new team rate of 109,000. Charles was a RFA when she was traded. I would think signing with the Liberty is technically re-signing with her "old" team since they acquired her rights. Either that or it was a sign and trade which has the same result. So, Tina should be making 107,500. I wouldn't take these numbers as gospel.

But remember how insanely tight to the cap they were for a year or two (leading to that mess with Cash last year)? Players agreeing to something that's near-as-dammit the max, but not technically as much as they can get, is reasonably common - especially if the team can legitimately show it would help them hold the roster together (rather than just save the owner a few grand).

PostPosted: 08/30/17 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

But remember how insanely tight to the cap they were for a year or two (leading to that mess with Cash last year)? Players agreeing to something that's near-as-dammit the max, but not technically as much as they can get, is reasonably common - especially if the team can legitimately show it would help them hold the roster together (rather than just save the owner a few grand).

True, but they're not over the cap this year and the erroneous numbers are identical to those found on the max salary chart -- just the wrong years and category. I would think if you were adjusting to squeeze people in, the amounts would be some odd number not found on the schedule.

PostPosted: 08/30/17 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the Storm it means that we still can get some value for Swords because she has another year on her contract. I thought she was a FA after this season.

I like that Bird signed a contract for 2 more seasons after this one. Yes i know she is going to evaluate year by year if she is going to play but still.
Why are there no figures on langhorne? Is it because we cored her?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 08/30/17 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

That was my point: I wasn't trying to make a straight-line comparison between the NBA and the WNBA. My point is that it offends my sensibilities that there are WNBA role players making the same amount of money as WNBA superstars.

It is probably even worse than you think. For teams below the minimum (and it looks like there could be several of them*) extra $ go to players making below the max. So some real scrubs could be making as much at the league MVP.

* Hard to know for sure because some players are missing (Erika at SA for ex) and we don't know what buyouts might be there.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/30/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the responses to this thread! It's great to read a thread minus the trolling and stupid remarks like they are God talking to Moses on what words he should put in the Holy Scriptures.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: