RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brutal in Bristol today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds good to me: #TheSix is exactly what I want.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
What other sports network is "ahead of them" or even close? None that I know of.

Fox Idea

FOX is ahead, easily. Better coverage, regional channels, better reporting.

You're joking, right?

I admit that I prefer Fox Sports's coverage of sports to ESPN's; their coverage is more regional and usually seems to have a better handle on the actual event they're covering, whereas ESPN seems to have a company policy that commentators must be distracted by shiny objects at all times.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC6 is terrible. Hardly watch Sportscenter at all now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mass layoffs to a continual situation (versus some one-time event) always seem like bad management. They should be cutting back all along to match their situation.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/26/17 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
What other sports network is "ahead of them" or even close? None that I know of.

Fox Idea

You're joking, right?

I admit that I prefer Fox Sports's coverage of sports to ESPN's; their coverage is more regional and usually seems to have a better handle on the actual event they're covering, whereas ESPN seems to have a company policy that commentators must be distracted by shiny objects at all times.

That may be, but in no conventional respect is Fox "ahead" or even close. Not in ratings, money, content, penetration, etc. And a lot of the regional channels aren't Fox, they're Comcast (now merged with NBC), Root, and independant.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/27/17 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I like Mike and Jemele and I enjoyed His & Hers, but conflating it with Sportscenter was always going to be a bad idea.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I like Mike and Jemele and I enjoyed His & Hers, but conflating it with Sportscenter was always going to be a bad idea.

Whether it's a "bad idea" depends on what you're looking for.

The powers that be at ESPN think that's what people, especially millennials, want and that it's a great idea.

It's certainly not what I want. But then, I wish ESPNNews and CNN Headline News were both the way they were originally conceived so I could flip on any time and get the day's events in 30 minutes or less. These ESPN shows are not directed at people like me.

If I ever lost my mind and wanted mindless chatter and gossip I could watch the Oprah channel or Reelz.

Bristol wants to keep the name Sportscenter but doesn't think there's an audience any more for Sportscenter. It's the new ESPN for people who watch IMAX movies and the Superbowl on their iPhone.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well there have been some well known names chopped, including some Sportscenter anchors, Jerry Punch, Dottie Pepper, Doug Glanville, and long-time legal affairs analyst Roger Cossack ( well, if you've switched from reporting news to reporting gossip, a legal affairs analyst is superfluous I guess).

But the biggest surprise to me so far is that Andy Katz, their lead men's college basketball talking head/host, got chopped according to this morning's reports. That one really surprised me. I suspect someone (most likely CBS I would think) will snap him up in about 5 minutes.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Search Twitter for "Andy Katz" and "@espnandykatz" and look at the reaction from most of the sports reporting world.

You have to wonder just what ESPN's business model is going forward. What do they have in mind?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/27/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Whether it's a "bad idea" depends on what you're looking for.

Bad in that it was going to alienate the existing SportsCenter audience, which is where the complaints are coming from.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it's money saving (which is probably at least 90%) they could just cut out the silly but cute self ads with famous sports guys. I'm sure ESPN pays them a bundle for their appearances, and it seems pretty superfluous - I mean, if you're already watching ESPN, why do they need to advertise themselves. It's a bit like the W ads during W games.

- Amanda Gorman
justintyme

PostPosted: 04/27/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If it's money saving (which is probably at least 90%) they could just cut out the silly but cute self ads with famous sports guys. I'm sure ESPN pays them a bundle for their appearances, and it seems pretty superfluous - I mean, if you're already watching ESPN, why do they need to advertise themselves. It's a bit like the W ads during W games.

With ads like that, you are trying to get them to go viral. And a lot of those do. The amount of free advertisement those viral shares provide more than cover the cost of the promo. Not to mention, O have a feeling those athletes don't really charge much for those promos. They help the athlete's brand as much as ESPN.

PostPosted: 04/27/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
myrtle wrote:

With ads like that, you are trying to get them to go viral. And a lot of those do. The amount of free advertisement those viral shares provide more than cover the cost of the promo. Not to mention, O have a feeling those athletes don't really charge much for those promos. They help the athlete's brand as much as ESPN.

My take is that they just can't sell enough ads to fill all the time slots available so they (ESPN and the W) just advertise for themselves.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/27/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Completely agree. Love the two - individually, but especially together. Love His & Hers.

But SportsCenter has a different type of fan/audience than the morning shows...and are looking for different things. While Mike and Jemele are very knowledgeable and entertaining, it does not translate well into the SportsCenter/SC6 realm.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/27/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Fox Idea

So I just flipped around to see what was on.

Fox Sports 1 at this moment is showing "Skip and Shannon: Undisputed"

Undisputed what I'm not sure other than undisputedly one of the worst shows ever conceived for sports television.

Any network that would hire Shannon Sharp and Skip Bayless and give them their own hour every day is firmly and without serious challenge in total control of the bottom of the barrel among sports networks.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/27/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:
myrtle wrote:

My take is that they just can't sell enough ads to fill all the time slots available so they (ESPN and the W) just advertise for themselves.

Yeah, it's kind of like a bus stop bench sign that says "Your Ad Here", or a Pennysaver blurb that says "Your Business Ad Could Be Here!" Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/27/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah. My favorite is "Hi, I'm Bill Board. I work night and day selling for you."

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 04/27/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Contracting market is tough all around. Somebody had to take a pay cut, and all those somebodies said somebody else.

Meanwhile ... there's the NFL Draft today, to "distract" all the angst.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/27/17 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed that one of the persons listed is Britt McHenry, who had been covering this year's NFL Draft for ESPN.

Her name rang a bell with me. And then I remember she gotten into some controversy in 2015, when she was caught on a surveillance video of her verbally abusing an employee for a towing company after her car was towed away.

After the video went viral, ESPN suspended her for a week, and she later apologized on Twitter.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tow-company-britt-mchenry-profane-rant-20150417-story.html

PostPosted: 04/27/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I noticed that one of the persons listed is Britt McHenry, who had been covering this year's NFL Draft for ESPN.

Her name rang a bell with me. And then I remember she gotten into some controversy in 2015, when she was caught on a surveillance video of her verbally abusing an employee for a towing company after her car was towed away.

After the video went viral, ESPN suspended her for a week, and she later apologized on Twitter.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-tow-company-britt-mchenry-profane-rant-20150417-story.html

Most people probably aren't at their best if they are standing watching a tow truck driver tow their car.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Most people probably aren't at their best if they are standing watching a tow truck driver tow their car.

Yeah, but there's "not at their best" and then there a Mel Gibson imitation. It was at the impound lot I think, and it was along the lines of "I'm a rich, beautiful, educated, TV star, and you're just some filthy ignorant toothless scumbag". It was not a good look.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/28/17 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Wow. I've heard that saying "One man's meat is another man's poison" but, seriously. I never watched Sportscenter until #TheSix happened. What they were doing before is the opposite of what I want out of sports coverage.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/28/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andy Katz just tweeted:

"Andy Katz‏ @ESPNAndyKatz 2m

Gonna be a pleasure to work at @FOXSports thank you for the opportunity."

I'm not surprised in the least someone snapped him up. CBS would have done it if they were smart (and quicker).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/28/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Wow. I've heard that saying "One man's meat is another man's poison" but, seriously. I never watched Sportscenter until #TheSix happened. What they were doing before is the opposite of what I want out of sports coverage.

I bet you're a fan of "We Need to Talk" on CBSSN too, right?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Andy Katz just tweeted:

"Andy Katz‏ @ESPNAndyKatz 2m

Gonna be a pleasure to work at @FOXSports thank you for the opportunity."

I'm not surprised in the least someone snapped him up. CBS would have done it if they were smart (and quicker).

I don't think that account is him any more. Probably just someone screwing around.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: