RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Official Skylar Diggins 2015 off season thread!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/04/14 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what Diggins and Griner are doing in terms of seeping into main stream culture is great for them and by extension the WNBA as whole.

I would love to see more players crossing over into other media. One of the reason the NBA has become a global phenomenon is because many NBA players have expanded their brands to where they have become a household name even to non NBA fans. With the incredible women that populate the WNBA the more they get themselves out there the more it will help the WNBA. I think for the last few years the W has flat-lined in terms of media exposure, the bigger media outlets sort of knew what they were getting with the W and their interest had dropped off, a few players had moved into analyst positions on sports networks but that was sort of it.

Having a player that is seen as cool, and sexy, who crosses over into the worlds of hip-hop and fashion is a great thing for the league. Having a player who has publicized her amazing story and lives her life out and proud who has become a role model and hero in the LGBT community is a great thing. These are new things for the league and it can only expand the league's appeal and growth. We haven't seen anything like this in the W for years, and it is about time. I hope Dee is working on a stand-up set, I mean if the stiff as a board Mannings can guest host SNL then Taurasi would nail that gig.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/04/14 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

ignoring the bait.

Last edited by ChicagoAnnie on 09/04/14 11:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/04/14 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
http://mediatakeout.com/254139/love-and-basketball-2-0-look-which-female-baller-that-kevin-durant-is-trying-to-holla-at-on-instagram.html

Quote:
It looks like NBA baller Kevin Durant has a new love interest, fellow Roc Nation athlete Skylar Diggins.

Quote:
the folks at Roc Nation have been trying to hook them up together. The Roc Nation people see a HUGE marketing potential in a possible relationship.

That's exactly it. Contrived, just like the Drake thing most likely was.

I don't think this is roc nation, it's freaking MTO... they're always making shit up. Laughing Beyonce has been pregnant 10 times in the last 12 months if you believe their "reporting".

According to them a man and woman can't possibly be friends without trying to holler.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/04/14 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I think what Diggins and Griner are doing in terms of seeping into main stream culture is great for them and by extension the WNBA as whole.

\.

Agree. Whether it's this stuff Diggy and Britt may do, Angel releasing a track, or Candace with a cameo in a movie, Maya in Jordan spots...it's all free exposure that the league cannot generate for itself. @TulsaShock gets a kick out of tweeting the whereabouts or events involving of their players off court.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/04/14 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
You do realize (I'm guessing you don't ) that Diana set the league on fire at over 25 points per game while shooting over 45% from the field and almost 40% from 3. I really don't understand your point.
sigur3 wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
And of course she scored more points per game than Taurasi. Taurasi doesn't have to shoot 550 or so shots per season.

Taurasi has done this multiple times. 5 seasons in her career she's taken more shots per 36 than Diggins did in 2014, and I'm guessing Skylar will never eclipse the whopping 20.6 FGA/36 DT did in 2006.

lol, read the context of the post, man. I was simply presenting facts to refute an incorrect statement. That was an interesting assumption though...

rustedsyringe

PostPosted: 09/05/14 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We need a mute button up in here.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/05/14 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Working out with Joyce Chang
https://twitter.com/SkyDigg4/status/507870200302415872
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/05/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Martini Man wrote:
And yet Taurasi led her team to another finals appearance and will win a bird championship. Diggins hasn't led her team to anything yet. Plus, in the actual skills department, I think Sims is and will be better than Diggins. But that's just my opinion. And of course she scored more points per game than Taurasi. Taurasi doesn't have to shoot 550 or so shots per season. She has others to score. Diggins took around 550 shots this season. Yet they still lost every time. I've seen more than a few times where Diggins took shots while other players were dead open and instead of passing them the ball to share the offense, she jacked em up anyways. 5 assists per game are nothing when you have a big girl like Paris camped directly under the basket for easy layups. She had a decent FG % but she doesn't lead or make her team better like DT.

Plus I was not really saying her play was a joke. I was referring to her life off the court.

Diggins isn't fortunate to have Britney Griner on her team.

The irrational hatred by some of Skylar Diggins is a curious phenomenon.

So tell me. How many times did Taurasi lead her team to the playoffs in her first three years in the league? How many shots did Taurasi take in 2006?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/05/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rustedsyringe wrote:

We need an up in here up in here.

PostPosted: 09/05/14 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
rustedsyringe wrote:

Y'all gon make me lose my mind...

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/05/14 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
rustedsyringe wrote:

Y'all gone make me go all out..

PostPosted: 09/05/14 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
rustedsyringe wrote:

Up in here, up in here
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/05/14 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
rustedsyringe wrote:

Up in here, up in here

Y'all gon' make me act a fool...

PostPosted: 09/05/14 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
rustedsyringe wrote:

Up in here, up in here

Y'all gon' make me lose my cool...

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/05/14 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Queenie wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
rustedsyringe wrote:

Up in here, up in here

Y'all gon' make me lose my cool...

The kwik e mart is re...

D'oh!

PostPosted: 09/07/14 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky in NYC for Fashion Week with a Basquiat in the background

PostPosted: 09/07/14 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another MIP article from SLAM magazine:
http://www.slamonline.com/other-ballers/womens/skylar-diggins-2014-wnba-improved-player/

Quote:
2014 WNBA Most Improved Player Results Player
Team (Points)

1. Skylar Diggins, Tulsa Shock (29)
2t. Emma Meesseman, Washington Mystics (2)
2t. Courtney Paris, Tulsa Shock (2)
2t. Allie Quigley, Chicago Sky (2)
3t. Alex Bentley, Connecticut Sun (1)
3t. Jessica Breland, Chicago Sky (1)
3t. Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury (1)
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/07/14 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggy on Twitter wrote:
Got a great workout in this morning! 7am is not by accident!....on a mission. #sacrifice

Raises my level of anticipation for next season.

Last edited by hyperetic on 09/08/14 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Diggy on Twitter wrote:
Got a great workout in this morning! 7am is not by accident!....on a mission. #sacrifice

Raises my level of anticipation first next season.

Don't know why, she obviously doesn't work on her game and just cares about the glamourus things in life. Wink

PostPosted: 09/08/14 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Diggy on Twitter wrote:

Raises my level of anticipation first next season.

Don't know why, she obviously doesn't work on her game and just cares about the glamourus things in life. Wink

Laughing Call it a hunch...well that and all the (self and independently reported) reports of her going in on workouts. Very Happy
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/08/14 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BGfangirl wrote:

Sky in NYC for Fashion Week with a Basquiat in the background

You know that is really a lovely image. I mean I am moved by that with the Basquiat painting and the framing and sort of instagrammy color treatment. That's just good stuff right there.

PostPosted: 09/08/14 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying I don't hate Skylar Diggins. She's probably a nice person.

However I do think she gets attention all out of proportion to her accomplishments on the court and that annoys the hell out of me.

Think Anna Kournikova with a basketball instead of a tennis racquet. Though unlike Kournikova Diggins still has plenty of time left in her career to change that perception, and she has shown the willingness & discipline to improve her game.

PostPosted: 09/08/14 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:
Let me preface this by saying I don't hate Skylar Diggins. She's probably a nice person.

However I do think she gets attention all out of proportion to her accomplishments on the court and that annoys the hell out of me.

Think Anna Kournikova with a basketball instead of a tennis racquet. Though unlike Kournikova Diggins still has plenty of time left in her career to change that perception, and she has shown the willingness & discipline to improve her game.

So its the attention people hate? Its seems its a thorn in many people's ideal of what Diggy is and what they think she should be. Would it be better if she got little to none? I am not trying to be johnny-to-the-defense for Diggy. In my opinion, she needs no defense. Just saying, should she...turn down publicity, the attention, potential revenue streams, shun the spotlight, so she can blend in with the types of people you consider real basketball players? She won MIP this season, proof positive that she cares about her game. The other stuff is icing on the cake. It affords her a decent living.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/08/14 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have learned over my life that haters are going to hate you no matter what you do. Just be your self and let the haters kick rocks! Cool

PostPosted: 09/08/14 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Beemer wrote:

So its the attention people hate? Its seems its a thorn in many people's ideal of what Diggy is and what they think she should be. Would it be better if she got little to none? I am not trying to be johnny-to-the-defense for Diggy. In my opinion, she needs no defense. Just saying, should she...turn down publicity, the attention, potential revenue streams, shun the spotlight, so she can blend in with the types of people you consider real basketball players? She won MIP this season, proof positive that she cares about her game. The other stuff is icing on the cake. It affords her a decent living.

I can't speak for others. For me yes it is the attention she gets compared to what she has done to earn it [or not]

And of course she shouldn't turn down the opportunities she is given. I'm just saying that unlike other athletes her performance does not warrant these opportunities, at least not at this point in her career. And I did give her credit for improving her performance.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: