RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Backlash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There won't be a backlash because most people don't care about this stuff.

Rosie Jones came out in the LPGA, prime time, wrote an editorial in the NY Times, and the reaction was a big yawn. Olivia travel did well with Rosie I'm sure Swoops will deliver too.

This story is a non-story.

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

Rosie Jones came out in the LPGA, prime time, wrote an editorial in the NY Times, and the reaction was a big yawn. Olivia travel did well with Rosie I'm sure Swoops will deliver too.

Thanks for that definitive answer Van. We can all go home now! Van says it's over.

Hey Van, Rosie Jones ain't the best in the world with all those medals and trophies.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

Thanks for that definitive answer Van. We can all go home now! Van says it's over.

Hey Van, Rosie Jones ain't the best in the world with all those medals and trophies.

Jones was big enough. She has been top ten in annual earnings several times and played most of her career in the top 20 year end earnings. She played on the USA Solheim Cup six times. She has eight top tens this year. Every golfer who follows golf knows who she is. She has a reputation for pure confidence, toughness, competitive fire. The LPGA fans are about as conservative as women sport fans get. Are you saying the WNBA fans are less tolerant than LPGA fans?

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

Jones was big enough. She has been top ten in annual earnings several times and played most of her career in the top 20 year end earnings. She played on the USA Solheim Cup six times. She has eight top tens this year. Every golfer who follows golf knows who she is. She has a reputation for pure confidence, toughness, competitive fire. The LPGA fans are about as conservative as women sport fans get. Are you saying the WNBA fans are less tolerant than LPGA fans?

You said it yourself. Every GOLFER WHO FOLLOWS GOLF knows Jones. Non-basketball fans know Swoopes.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
The LPGA fans are about as conservative as women sport fans get.

you've obviously never been to Dinah Shore...

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
StaleyFan wrote:
I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm just stating my opinion like you did yours. As far as I go, The Bible speaks against homosexuality, and I certainly believe that. Like I said, that's MY belief, and while I wish and pray more people felt that way, I know better and still have to respect their opinion. As far as the media, I was trying to say what is the backlash going to be in the present that all the haters will be jumping on, such as saying that this league will fail because of it or that they knew everyone in women's basketball was gay. In other words, will they hate this sport even more now?

As one who was trained as a minister, and one who has left the church because of its inability to accept and love people the way Jesus teaches, Leviticus also says slavery is ok, touching the skin of a pig rates a hire punishment then homosexuality (I wonder why we put up with those who play football), and that women are to remain silent. Lets not forget shellfish, and the whole mixing of cheese and meat thing. All of which rate the "abomination to the Lord" comment.

Since this is about basketball I suggest we leave religious faith out of the conversation.

Well remember that you're mixing New and Old Testament phrases, and not all religions believe in literal interpretations of the Bible... Idea

Short BBallFan512583

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

I agree. IMO, what someone does in their private life if there business, I might not agree with what that person is doing , but I'm not going to judge them.

Last edited by Short BBallFan512583 on 10/26/05 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
dtms, I am probably the biggest fan of Swoopes on this board. What I meant was that some think there my be an issue with league concerning Swoopes' admission. Some players my shy away from the atmosphere that is sure to come as the season approaches. One would be crazy to not want to play with Swoopes. Just because people know something doesn't mean that they accept it.

I don't know why you became so hostile with me.

Yep, I don't know why either... Confused It's a legitimate concern, even though it's unlikely to happen... Idea

vanyogan

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

For the area, that would be conservative. I did hear that the gay gals are pretty strong supporters of that event, but I'm sure that's true everywhere. It doesn't bother the sponsors, purses are growing very fast these days. Cool

PostPosted: 10/26/05 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Jesus, Mary and Joseph!!!
You'd never know the season was over with all this activity Rolling Eyes
There's more going on now than there was in August.

I ,for one, am a straight ,married, mom of 2 who couldn't care less about her sexuality. I think she has great courage to come out. I admire that.

For the love of Christ, let her live in peace.....................

p.s. I am kinda thankful too..........it's been a while since a received a TOPIC NOTIFICATION Laughing

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of an actual backlash, forget it. Swoopes is the perfect person to come out on behalf of the 'gay' WNBA. I say she's bulletproof and just watch and see if I'm right.

As far as some kind of backlash in the WNBA, among other players? Please. She's speaks for, represents, and is a hero now to more than we know. Every player in women's basketball except a rare few deals with this as a part of their job. If they can't to that succesfully they're gone.

You don't take job in the West Hollywood city hall if you have a problem with gay people.

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigsportzbabe wrote:
Anyone who has played long enough to become a free agent, has already played with a gaggle of lesbians

Ah, thanks - I was wondering what the proper noun was for lesbians in a group.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
bigsportzbabe wrote:
Anyone who has played long enough to become a free agent, has already played with a gaggle of lesbians

Ah, thanks - I was wondering what the proper noun was for lesbians in a group.

This is another classic exchange, along with BCBG's comments about Webber and T-Spoon.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StaleyFan wrote:
As far as the media, I was trying to say what is the backlash going to be in the present that all the haters will be jumping on, such as saying that this league will fail because of it or that they knew everyone in women's basketball was gay. In other words, will they hate this sport even more now?

So the "backlash" will be that people who don't attend WNBA games will continue to not attend WNBA games.

Rolling Eyes

peaceplease

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Laughing
What? Lesbians are classified like geese???

I did not know that.

Laughing

PEACE
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigsportzbabe wrote:
cherrystreet wrote:
The real backlash may come from free agents that will not want to play with Swoopes. I have to think, however, that most of the players already know.

...and they've played with a whole bucket-load of straight women as well...

~rAf

~rAf
O.G.

PostPosted: 10/26/05 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
...and they've played with a whole bucket-load of straight women as well...
~rAf
I'm learning so much today

downsouthchica

PostPosted: 10/26/05 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am only 15 and I looked up to Sheryl Swoopes alot but now I really dont understand what to think about her coming out because parent and other people really dont want me to be looking up to a gay basketball player I mean being that im straight and I idolized her as much as I hate 2 admit it the way I looked at her will never be the same and I cant help it but hey atleast she was woman enought to admit it ya know

AND OH MICHEAL VICK IS MY FUTURE HUSBAND
Sass

PostPosted: 10/26/05 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

downsouthchica, I bet a lot of the players you look up to are lesbians. I suggest you open both your eyes and your mind.

As for the gaggle......it has to be a PRIDE of lesbians, not a gaggle Laughing

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
peaceplease

PostPosted: 10/26/05 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRIDE sounds so much better...........but gaggle is funny!
Laughing

PEACE
caune

PostPosted: 10/26/05 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

downsouthchica wrote:
I am only 15 and I looked up to Sheryl Swoopes alot but now I really dont understand what to think about her coming out because parent and other people really dont want me to be looking up to a gay basketball player I mean being that im straight and I idolized her as much as I hate 2 admit it the way I looked at her will never be the same and I cant help it but hey atleast she was woman enought to admit it ya know

hey , it really doesn't matter who they sleep with if they can play, right? So keep idolizing the players for their play and let their private lives be their private lives, OK?

PostPosted: 10/26/05 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

downsouthchica wrote:

I hate to be rude, but your post was completely ignorant. At 15, I knew how to separate a basketball player's personal life from his or her professional life. I looked up to Iverson despite his foolish off-the-court antics. Millions of people look up to Kobe despite knowing that he committed adultery. If people can look past the adultery and substance abuse problems of the NBA, the substance abuse problems and sex scandals of the NFL, and steroids problem in baseball, why the hell can't you get past the personal decisions of female athletes? I'd also like to point out that while lesbianism is completely LEGAL, steroids and substance abuse aren't. Remember that.

Mathies to LA 2013
librarygeek

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

For the area, that would be conservative. I did hear that the gay gals are pretty strong supporters of that event, but I'm sure that's true everywhere. It doesn't bother the sponsors, purses are growing very fast these days. Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wow, you really haven't been to Dinah Shore...

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the gaggle......it has to be a PRIDE of lesbians, not a gaggle

You`ve got a good point, but I just love the word gaggle Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/26/05 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
downsouthchica wrote:

I hate to be rude, but your post was completely ignorant. At 15, I knew how to separate a basketball player's personal life from his or her professional life. I looked up to Iverson despite his foolish off-the-court antics. Millions of people look up to Kobe despite knowing that he committed adultery. If people can look past the adultery and substance abuse problems of the NBA, the substance abuse problems and sex scandals of the NFL, and steroids problem in baseball, why the hell can't you get past the personal decisions of female athletes? I'd also like to point out that while lesbianism is completely LEGAL, steroids and substance abuse aren't. Remember that.

I dont care what you think of me or my post if I feel this way I feel this way you can change that so dont worry about the words I say unless they are directed torward you holla

AND OH MICHEAL VICK IS MY FUTURE HUSBAND
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: