Tina Charles traded...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/26/13 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
The main thing with Wright [not sure how she got in this thread but anyway...]

Because Charles and Wright are from the same draft class.
J-Spoon made the statement in the Minnesota thread that Wright is a RFA, therefore she can't leave.

myrtle wrote:
if she and hubby-to-be want to live in one place, which would mean it would be more likely Tulsa than anywhere else.

I know. We haven't even touched on that part of it.

Wright has already has experienced two WNBA Championships. Have they been life-affirming? Does she need more? Maybe experiencing a Championship as a starter would feel differently?

Anyway, if you marry a multi-millionaire, can you say for certain the not so glamorous grind of the WNBA would still be appealing to you? I'd be very surprised if she didn't at least give up overseas basketball once she gets married.

That is assuming that Wright isn't passionate about her sport/career and only plays for financial reward and no other reason, but I will agree that she will no longer have to be concerned with the financial side of her career so that does open up more options/choices for her. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future she stopped playing year round as well. It is certainly possible that once she is married she will wish to start a family which could also impact this discussion.

But as a RFA Minnesota would still have to sign off on any move she would theoretically make within the WNBA.

If she was to request a trade, Minnesota would still have to agree to the trade, if she was to sign with someone else Minnesota would still have the option to match. She can't just say I'm going here and go there without Minnesota's OK.

And this is all still working with the yet unfounded suggestions that she wants to leave in the first place. I don't have a horse in this race but as a RFA she can't just go without Minnesota's approval unless go means not play at all.

In the case of Charles it obviously got to a point where the player wanted to leave and the team want her to leave, once (and if) they found a viable trade partner and got assets the team wanted the trigger was pulled, this still meant the Sun had to agree to the move in the first place, they could've called Charles possible bluff and let her sit out but that would be cutting off your nose to spite your face for a last place team, Minnesota can probably survive with or without Wright so that leverage isn't available to her.

and now back to Charles...

jap

PostPosted: 10/27/13 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this all works out, LA will have their second version of the Twin Towers, although the Lisa-Ace pairing (2008-2009) was more lop-sided age-wise. The Lisa who returned from pregnancy wasn't the same 2006 MVP who left for maternity leave. Rookie Candace had the most impactful rookie starting game (34 points [12-19 FGs, 8-16 FTs], 12 REBs, 8 ASTS, 2 STLs, 1 BS) thus far. However, she had to weather the growing pains any rookie entering the pro ranks in any sport has to face in her first few years. If she finally commits to a consistently active defensive effort from now on, those growing pains will continue for a while longer.

Nneka is a sweetheart and at 6'2" is a dynamo who combines explosive athleticism with the grace and body control forged from a gymnastics background. As potent as she was with Ace, the Tina-Ace combo should prove to be even more consistently dominant, barring injury. 2012 MVP Tina, who turns 25 years old this December, would pair with the 27-year old 2013 MVP Candace to form an athletic 1-2 punch to contend with the resurgent Mercury and rising Shock, both with 6'8" centers and both with coaching issues to resolve. Tina would arrive with a legacy for generosity rarely seen in sports.

The actual details of this supposed transaction and the official announcement are still forthcoming. However, this might impact changes at other LA starting positions, depending on who else may be included in the deal.

If the deal goes through, we will have our first blockbuster trade of the off-season. If none of this pans out, then this post was all strictly a recording. We return you to your regularly scheduled forum messaging. Laughing

Last edited by jap on 10/27/13 12:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
SueFavor

PostPosted: 10/27/13 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys are all assuming it's Nneka. It could be Jantel. She was the sixth woman this year.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
jap

PostPosted: 10/27/13 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
You guys are all assuming it's Nneka. It could be Jantel. She was the sixth woman this year.

I mentioned Jantel (and Co.) as a possibility earlier since the Sun will need a serviceable center to replace Tina if this thing actually goes through. I just thought Nneka was more versatile and may be preferred more by the Sun.

PostPosted: 10/27/13 2:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:

The sun would be crazy to take Jantel for Charles, You LA fans crack me up. Laughing

jap

PostPosted: 10/27/13 2:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:

The sun would be crazy to take Jantel for Charles, You LA fans crack me up. Laughing

Who said it would just be Jantel?

PostPosted: 10/27/13 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:

The Sun don't need a bunch of mediocre players. They already have enough of those.
If the Sparks want to play games instead make a serious trade, this would be an instance where I'd make Charles sit out if that's what she wanted to do. Call her bluff.

But from the assured tone of Charles' tweet, the Sparks aren't playing around. It's gotta be Nneka.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
blaase22

PostPosted: 10/27/13 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

The Sun don't need a bunch of mediocre players. They already have enough of those.
If the Sparks want to play games instead make a serious trade, this would be an instance where I'd make Charles sit out if that's what she wanted to do. Call her bluff.

But from the assured tone of Charles' tweet, the Sparks aren't playing around. It's gotta be Nneka.

Yeah I agree it's Nneka AND Jantel!!

Last edited by blaase22 on 10/27/13 4:20 am; edited 2 times in total
blaase22

PostPosted: 10/27/13 4:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="blaase22"]
jap wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:

The person I quoted?

Lanes1

PostPosted: 10/27/13 4:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but this trade still doesn't improve Parker's defence!!! SMH looking forward to seeing NO light it up in Connecticut if true...

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/27/13 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lanes1 wrote:
Sorry but this trade still doesn't improve Parker's defence!!! SMH looking forward to seeing NO light it up in Connecticut if true...

Sorry but there is only 1 person that can improve Parker's defense and that is Parker herself..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Lanes1

PostPosted: 10/27/13 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Lanes1 wrote:

Sorry but there is only 1 person that can improve Parker's defense and that is Parker herself..

Yes and that is what I was alluding too... Making a trade like this won't drastically improve LA's chances of winning a WNBA title unless Parker improves her defence. Nevertheless it is a big move for both teams....

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 10/27/13 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we are missing a step here.

I think Charles tweeted that by saying she gave the Sun notice that she would not re-sign with the team and would not play in the W unless traded

They said we won't trade you to DC or NY, so...LA's the only other team on the list so she assumes.

We'll see how this goes..but I agree don't think you can trade without a CBA anyone wanna clarify

and As a Lib fan I say this sucks but CT is wise to do this if they can...Arguablly getting less value back but keeping Charles out of the conference (and out of NY where the Libs can pull fans back from Danbury and south of bridgeport) could be a fair move in the eyes of an attendance minded GM.

PostPosted: 10/27/13 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering more about the order of events here, and if it's less that she's going or if she's just been told she's not going to be with the Sun next year.

PostPosted: 10/27/13 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

is she playing anywhere this offseason(Charles)?? Maybe she's living in LA for the offseason. I also don't think any trades can happen now until the new CBA is in order. But, if Charles is to be traded to LA, it would have to be for Nneka AND Jantel. if Connecticut lands the #1 pick, they'll then have the Ogwumike sisters playing side by side and Lavender off the bench for them. This would still leave the Sun thin on their guard options.

CONNECTICUT 2014
PG: Montgomery/Carter
SG: TWhite/Greene
SF: Hightower/Faris
PF: N. Ogwumike/Griffin/Pederson
C: C. Ogwumike/Lavender

LOS ANGELES 2014
PG: Harding/Mathies
SG: Toliver/Coleman
SF: Beard/O'Hea
PF: Parker/draft pick??
C: Charles/Hoffman

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SueFavor

PostPosted: 10/27/13 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:

I cover the Sparks as media every year, and am not a fan but a writer.

At this point it's all speculation. I was tossing out another possibility. It's the people on this board who crack me up, going wild at the slightest provocation. Laughing

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 10/27/13 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:

I cover the Sparks as media every year, and am not a fan but a writer.

At this point it's all speculation. I was tossing out another possibility. It's the people on this board who crack me up, going wild at the slightest provocation. Laughing

but we don't have anything else to do! Confused

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/27/13 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

CONNECTICUT 2014

You're forgetting the little matter of Jones and Lawson. Even if they don't end up on the Sun, the Sun will be getting something of value for them.

While I think LA might need to throw in something with Nneka in a trade for Tina, I somehow doubt it would be Lavender. Maybe Coleman? Or their pick.

jap

PostPosted: 10/27/13 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

CONNECTICUT 2014

You're forgetting the little matter of Jones and Lawson. Even if they don't end up on the Sun, the Sun will be getting something of value for them.

While I think LA might need to throw in something with Nneka in a trade for Tina, I somehow doubt it would be Lavender. Maybe Coleman? Or their pick.

Asking for Jantel too is asking a lot. The Sparks have four bigs currently in Ace, Nneka, Jantel, and Eb. Some of the Sun fans want half of the LA bigs. Wink

PostPosted: 10/27/13 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

CONNECTICUT 2014

Asking for Jantel too is asking a lot. The Sparks have four bigs currently in Ace, Nneka, Jantel, and Eb. Some of the Sun fans want half of the LA bigs. Wink

Asking a lot? I would think that if you expect to get a player that was MVP a year ago, you would have to give up a lot.

To paraphrase you, some Sparks fans seem to want a very lopsided trade.

If I was Conn, I would ask probably ask for Nneka and Toliver and then potentially move from there. Or maybe it would be that or nothing.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/27/13 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
There are SO many possible reasons why any player might want to leave a particular city or team--or go to a particular city or team--that people don't know.

Now, THAT'S the most enlightened thing I've read on this thread! Cool

Re: Tina? I have huge respect for her Game....but her lack of professionalism this season was a huge disappointment for me. I hope she gets back on track, wherever she lands.

PostPosted: 10/27/13 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
jap wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

CONNECTICUT 2014

Asking a lot? I would think that if you expect to get a player that was MVP a year ago, you would have to give up a lot.

If I was Conn, I would ask probably ask for Nneka and Toliver and then potentially move from there. Or maybe it would be that or nothing.

First of all, this is all speculation on something which may not even go through. Secondly, who cares what you, I, or anyone else outside wants? The deal, if it is indeed serious, depends strictly on what the Sun and Sparks agree is a fair trade, whatever that means to them. Thirdly, I am not wasting my time getting into any debates over something that is not clearly public as yet, if it ever will be.

Yes, I have deliberately proposed some ridiculous trades before, but I never expected anyone to take me seriously at those times. I joke around quite enough on this and other forums as it is. I suppose some of you want to pay me back even though I think it is pretty obvious when I'm clowning from when I'm not. However, some of the trade proposals I raised were not ridiculous at all, and they still got ridiculed by emotional posters.

Still, I am always surprised at all the silly cries of dismay & rage and the endless conspiracy theories that abound whenever anything happens that seem to favor the Sparks in the slightest. The Sparks were clearly one of the worst teams in 2007 and won the #1 overall choice to get Candace, and people went nuts. In 2011, Candace got injured and lost a good chunk of the season, and the Sparks ended up as a lottery team and once more ended up with the #1 overall choice to grab Ogwumike Gold, and people went insane on this board again. When Lindsey was acquired this past off-season, there were some sour grapes. As Jammer pointed out, this potential trade for Tina is one of the very few sensible options the Sparks can make for a net positive gain with their current roster. If it goes through, what will the emotional non-Sparks fans do? Boycott the WNBA? Wink

Assuming this is a legitimate pending transaction, I am certainly not looking forward to losing either Nneka or Jantel. However, to get talent you have to give up talent (player[s]) or potential (draft picks). Next to CP3, I regard Nneka as being the most versatile big we have and am reconciled to the idea of giving her up. This very trade scenario was discussed during the past season, and even though I never thought it would actually come close to happening, I realized Nneka or Jantel could very likely become trade bait. Trades are business deals negotiated by the parties involved---there's hardly room for high emotion. For now Tina is still officially a Sun, and Nneka & Jantel are still under the Purple & Gold umbrella. Until the CBA is resolved and things gain an official status, all this is just guesswork. Perhaps some of you have nothing better to do, but my favorite sport, the NFL, is in full swing, so I'll leave the heavy debating to the others. Wink

PostPosted: 10/27/13 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
jap wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

CONNECTICUT 2014

First of all, this is all speculation on something which may not even go through. Secondly, who cares what you, I, or anyone else outside wants? The deal, if it is indeed serious, depends strictly on what the Sun and Sparks agree is a fair trade, whatever that means to them. Thirdly, I am not wasting my time getting into any debates over something that is not clearly public as yet, if it ever will be.

Yes, I have deliberately proposed some ridiculous trades before, but I never expected anyone to take me seriously at those times. I joke around quite enough on this and other forums as it is. I suppose some of you want to pay me back even though I think it is pretty obvious when I'm clowning from when I'm not. However, some of the trade proposals I raised were not ridiculous at all, and they still got ridiculed by emotional posters.

Still, I am always surprised at all the silly cries of dismay & rage and the endless conspiracy theories that abound whenever anything happens that seem to favor the Sparks in the slightest. The Sparks were clearly one of the worst teams in 2007 and won the #1 overall choice to get Candace, and people went nuts. In 2011, Candace got injured and lost a good chunk of the season, and the Sparks ended up as a lottery team and once more ended up with the #1 overall choice to grab Ogwumike Gold, and people went insane on this board again. When Lindsey was acquired this past off-season, there were some sour grapes. As Jammer pointed out, this potential trade for Tina is one of the very few sensible options the Sparks can make for a net positive gain with their current roster. If it goes through, what will the emotional non-Sparks fans do? Boycott the WNBA? Wink

Assuming this is a legitimate pending transaction, I am certainly not looking forward to losing either Nneka or Jantel. However, to get talent you have to give up talent (player[s]) or potential (draft picks). Next to CP3, I regard Nneka as being the most versatile big we have and am reconciled to the idea of giving her up. This very trade scenario was discussed during the past season, and even though I never thought it would actually come close to happening, I realized Nneka or Jantel could very likely become trade bait. Trades are business deals negotiated by the parties involved---there's hardly room for high emotion. For now Tina is still officially a Sun, and Nneka & Jantel are still under the Purple & Gold umbrella. Until the CBA is resolved and things gain an official status, all this is just guesswork. Perhaps some of you have nothing better to do, but my favorite sport, the NFL, is in full swing, so I'll leave the heavy debating to the others. Wink

Sorry - I wasn't trying to cause problems. I apologize if it seemed like I was.

And, FWIW, I like the Sparks. Always have. The ridiculous attacks on Parker in these parts is largely what turned me into a fan of hers.

jap

PostPosted: 10/27/13 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Sorry - I wasn't trying to cause problems. I apologize if it seemed like I was.

And, FWIW, I like the Sparks. Always have. The ridiculous attacks on Parker in these parts is largely what turned me into a fan of hers.

It's no biggie. This situation didn't exactly come out of nowhere, but I did not expect it to even come close to panning out. I suppose we have to sit tight and see actually results. Maybe Tina merely bought a beach house in LA. Wink

PostPosted: 10/27/13 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I'm still sticking with that one. If the Sparks land Tina Charles for anything less than these two very first rate (in the case of Nneka) but not ever MVP quality players, then they have pulled of in my opinion a steal of a trade. But if it's those two I say it's worth it for the Sparks to both land a premier center with LA's Phoenix problem facing them for years, and to solve the various Toliver problems of size, utilization, attitude, etc. The Sparks, in my opinion, are a team with damned good materials to deal with. If you're going to make a move, now's the time. When you start thinking of people playing out of position because you have two true fours and no superstar center and you can fix that... or two similarly undersized guards in the backcourt, totally acceptable from the point guard position and especially so with a dandy like Harding... but a real liablity against the kind of length they face against the Lynx and Mercury...why? Laughing

But any trade that lands Charles and doesn't involve Nneka? lol. Wow. Shocked I'll believe that one when I see it.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: