RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn dominance bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/12/10 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Was UNLV bad for the men's game? Was Indiana?

Did those teams win 72 consecutive games by 30+ points while making their opponents look like fourth graders in a sport that hasn't established its niche in the United States?

I'm not saying that UConn is bad for the game, because I don't think they are, but those situations aren't completely comparable, and those who say that UConn is bad for the game make a solid argument.

UCLA did.

And as other's said. Uconn is moving women's basketball further. They style of play, the talent level..that's moving the game forward.

They will continue to push other team's to meet their standards. It's like playing chess, you don't improve playing against people that are equal to you. You have to play people who are better.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
Agreed. I remember from the Sweet 16 on you kept saying please spare us from a UConn/Louisville final.

But Mikey, Louisville spared us from having to see RQ's thunder clapping expo. I'm forever indebted to Jeff Walz, Angel McCoughtry, and Desiree Byrd for that marvelous performance! Very Happy

But yeah, that game sucked big ones.

True, especially since before the tourney started, they said they wanted UConn. There is a part of me that wants the RQs team to sneak into the NCAAs this year.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/13/10 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Did those teams win 72 consecutive games by 30+ points while making their opponents look like fourth graders in a sport that hasn't established its niche in the United States?

I'm not saying that UConn is bad for the game, because I don't think they are, but those situations aren't completely comparable, and those who say that UConn is bad for the game make a solid argument.

so your saying they should throw a game and purposely lose once in a while?
they should stop recruiting all-around talent and just go after top 10 kids?
they should not practice hard?

how do you think UConn resolves this issue, then?

FS02

PostPosted: 03/13/10 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
stats47 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

so your saying they should throw a game and purposely lose once in a while?
they should stop recruiting all-around talent and just go after top 10 kids?
they should not practice hard?

how do you think UConn resolves this issue, then?

UConn is not doing anything wrong, I don't think anyone is saying that. The question is whether or not the situation is bad.

I think it's kinda just a philosophical argument, but I'd rather see the standard of excellence coming from more than just one team.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/13/10 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is UConn dominance bad for the game? Absolutely.

Even when UCLA was winning 88 games in a row there were several close games. The first 15 games of the streak were decided by 13, 4, 1, 2, 30, 7, 4, 2, 34, 35, 11, 18, 2, 8, 6. That is 9 games decided by less than 10 points. During the 1971-72 and 1972-73 seasons when they were most dominant, they still had 6 games decided by less than 10 points, including a 5 point win in the 1972 national championship over Florida St.

And even though those games were more competitive than UConn's games now, UCLA's dominance was not good for men's college basketball. It was not until UCLA started losing that the popularity of the game took off. In the early 70s a case could be made that the ACC Tournament was bigger than the NCAA Tournament, at least in the mid-atlantic region, and that was because of the competitiveness.

But saying that UConn's dominance is bad for the sport is not the same as saying that UConn is doing something wrong. Geno is putting together the best team he can within the rules, and he is doing it better than anyone else.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/13/10 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might be boring this season, but if they win the title again next year will be interesting. Clearly they won't be as talented and dominate. The focus will be on if Maya can carry the Huskies and when will they lose (because it will happen next season, IMO). The Huskies are going to be completely unproven in the post.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/13/10 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If there is anything bad about the Huskies' dominance, it's that it shows how other schools haven't put in the resources (ahem, Seton Hall), have lost some resources (wasn't that Duke's problem?), or haven't caught up to the times (UNC, RU, Nova). And if that gets schools to get their shit together, then it's not a bad thing- but until then, the rest of the game doesn't look so good.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: