RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/21/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
I wonder how her NIL sponsors will react to the situation.

Ultimately, I suspect that this will be the source of any leaks about her situation. At some point you'd think they'd demand answers from the LSU athletic department. Depending on how tightly those sponsors are tied to LSU, pressure might be put on Mulkey to get Reese back on the floor no matter what, and we all know how well Kim Mulkey reacts to being told to do something she doesn't want to do.

PostPosted: 11/21/23 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
greatgator wrote:

Ultimately, I suspect that this will be the source of any leaks about her situation. At some point you'd think they'd demand answers from the LSU athletic department. Depending on how tightly those sponsors are tied to LSU, pressure might be put on Mulkey to get Reese back on the floor no matter what, and we all know how well Kim Mulkey reacts to being told to do something she doesn't want to do.

"Sometimes you want to know more than you're entitled to know."

LSU's Kim Mulkey speaks on Angel Reese's absence from the team:

"If you do some disciplining of your own children, do you think we're entitled to know that?"
https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1726981903784575040

pilight

PostPosted: 11/21/23 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps she has an "undisclosed medical condition"

Most people hate poetry
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/21/23 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally speculation.
I still think it COULD be the grades thing. Perhaps she flunked several midterms and has to do remedial work to make up for it. I would think doing classes remotely would open it up to cheating, but maybe she hasn't even figured out how to cheat properly....

Unless she actually physically fought with a teammate, it's hard to come up with some other 'disciplinary' thing where Mulkey would actually sit her for a few games. JMO

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/21/23 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Perhaps she has an "undisclosed medical condition"

I guess it's possible she got covid from Mulkey since Mulkey said she might have it but wasn't getting tested since she wasn't a sissy, and implied she didn't care if she gave it to others.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/21/23 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
greatgator wrote:

And this is where the pendulum swings. NIL $$ quickly became a major factor in high school stars picking their school. Hopefully, we'll see other factors become more relevant again. Especially when a low academic school like LSU stacks up their lineup like this.

It took quite a while for Geno's "I only play the best players" to catch up to him as it did last season. So many championships due to UConn's lower than average # of stars sidelined by injury came to a screeching halt.

~rAf
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/23 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
But anyway, speaking of abhorrent beliefs, let me segue to the Abhorrent Mulkey. Every post on this feed blames Angel. No one has paused to give Mulkey credit...

Hey! I'm walkin' here!

Ex-Ref wrote:

See, this is the problem. Do you want to be judged by the standard of "fairly certain" or do you want to be judged by fact?

And it's from both sides of whatever the issue is. We don't judge by fact. We have set/allowed such a low standard as "fairly certain' to become the norm. It's sad.

Now back to the topic of the thread.

Indeed. Let's get back to the topic of the thread. Because for someone who professes that it's a "both sides" problem, you only appear to be concerned about one side being prejudged without the facts. No facts have been reported on why Angel Reese has been benched, but you don't seem to be caping for her, or giving her the benefit of the doubt. What's the difference?

Not true. I was the first one to begin a challenge to Pilight's "bad grades" comment. After everyone else jumped in, I didn't see the need to pile on.

I'll be the first to say that I don't like the way that she handles herself in public sometimes. What goes on with her behind closed doors, I have no idea. I could speculate on a couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet, but what would that help? She's not with the team. We don't need to know why.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/21/23 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Not true. I was the first one to begin a challenge to Pilight's "bad grades" comment. After everyone else jumped in, I didn't see the need to pile on.

So your notion of giving Angel Reese the benefit of the doubt is "challenging" the only post in this thread that was an obvious joke?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/23 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

So your notion of giving Angel Reese the benefit of the doubt is "challenging" the only post in this thread that was an obvious joke?

What about Pilight's post made it an obvious joke?

'Cause I missed it.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/21/23 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

'Cause I missed it.

So... then you actually took him seriously when he intimated that Angel Reese was benched at halftime because of her grades? You think that's a thing that can happen?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/23 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

'Cause I missed it.

So... then you actually took him seriously when he intimated that Angel Reese was benched at halftime because of her grades? You think that's a thing that can happen?

I don't think that is something that would happen, but I don't know what Pilight was thinking. Nobody but Pilight knows that.

I do think that a 'joke' about a players "bad grades" is not appropriate.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/21/23 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

'Cause I missed it.

I don't think that is something that would happen, but I don't know what Pilight was thinking. Nobody but Pilight knows that.

Of all the inappropriate speculation in this thread, that's the one that bothers you?

Most people hate poetry
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

'Cause I missed it.

Of all the inappropriate speculation in this thread, that's the one that bothers you?

Your post was stated more as fact than Michael and Queenie's posts were. Being the third post in the thread, it was the first inappropriate post. Notice that I used the word 'post' and not 'speculation'

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/21/23 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Your post was stated more as fact than Michael and Queenie's posts were. Being the third post in the thread, it was the first inappropriate post. Notice that I used the word 'post' and not 'speculation'

This thread was already "inappropriate" by the end of the second sentence in it.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/23 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

This thread was already "inappropriate" by the end of the second sentence in it.

That's your opinion and you should have spoken up.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/21/23 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's disappointing that between social media and the amount of news coverage this is getting (e.g., two articles have shown up in ESPN's Top Headlines), we still don't have any solid rumors and our most reliable data appears to be the motherly spat. Someone pay off a source and promise anonymity already.

greatgator

PostPosted: 11/22/23 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Sports Illustrated "Kim Mulkey Is Making a Game of Angel Reese’s Absence"
https://www.si.com/college/2023/11/21/lsu-kim-mulkey-making-game-angel-reese-absence

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/22/23 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

I did.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/22/23 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

I did.

Sorry. I thought that was a shot a Kim. Guess I was mistaken.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/23/23 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maybe They're both media/social media geniuses and this whole thing is a ruse to dominant the early season media and Angel will come back contrite and kill it and become even a bigger star and Mulkey can get the tough love credit and further her mama bear reputation and recruiting.

That or Mulkey over heard Angel talking smack about her in the locker room to the new girls at half time, about her bad dye job or mocking one of her pastel, glitter, blazers and Kim couldn't take and kicked her to the curb, And one day Angel will apologize, help her with some new drip and a make over and both will come out looking better than ever.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/23/23 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey has a history of keeping mum about reasons behind any in house disciplinary actions . She is as she claims very protective of her players.

PostPosted: 11/23/23 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
maybe They're both media/social media geniuses and this whole thing is a ruse to dominant the early season media and Angel will come back contrite and kill it and become even a bigger star and Mulkey can get the tough love credit and further her mama bear reputation and recruiting.

Confused They were already the #1 team in the country and Reese has dominated the media, alongside Clark, since the national championship. What more media attention did they need?

Does Mulkey have a mama bear reputation? If so, based on what?

willtalk wrote:
Mulkey has a history of keeping mum about reasons behind any in house disciplinary actions . She is as she claims very protective of her players.

But in what way(s) is this protecting Angel? The speculation and rumors are running amuck. Huge-personality Angel is basically begging people to not judge her (i.e., "please don’t believe everything you read"). This would be a non-story (or at least not an ongoing one) if Kim said "Angel will miss 3 games for violation of team rules" or "Angel will miss some time for violation of team rules and we will reassess in 2 weeks." And sure, Kim doesn't have to do that and she can (and presumably will) continue to be rude to and short with the media, but how that helps Angel (or any of her players) is beyond me.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 11/23/23 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim is definitely a momma-bear to her players, sometimes to an extreme. OTOH, she has a gift for tone deafness. So both things could be true—she is protecting Reese and she is doing it rather badly

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/23/23 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Kim is definitely a momma-bear to her players, sometimes to an extreme. OTOH, she has a gift for tone deafness. So both things could be true—she is protecting Reese and she is doing it rather badly

Protecting Reese from who, though? The media/social media? Letting them run amuck with rumors and speculation because you're too prideful, obstinate, etc., to give any information seems to be the worst thing you could do for a player with regard to (social) media.

The contradiction may already be in your statement: protecting someone badly means you're not protecting them.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/23/23 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree. All the speculation is probably worse than the reality, which is bound to come out eventually anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: