RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the phrase "difficult decision," I'd have to think that Durr opted out.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So did she opt out, or is there an injury issue?

The article is not clear about ‘her difficult decision amongst unprecedented circumstances’.

But it makes me lean toward opt out.
Supposedly she has been working super hard, and is the healthiest she’s ever been.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll likely have three rookies starting now. Nurse maybe goes to SG and Willoughby or Walker starts at SF. I also wonder if they attempt to sign anyone as a replacement? Bring back Boyd? Tiffany Bias?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durr both tested positive for Covid-19, and appears to have opted out as high-risk: https://twitter.com/A_Hooper25/status/1280520652907335681?s=20

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
We'll likely have three rookies starting now. Nurse maybe goes to SG and Willoughby or Walker starts at SF. I also wonder if they attempt to sign anyone as a replacement? Bring back Boyd? Tiffany Bias?

What do you see as the starting lineup now?
Ionescu/Clarendon
Nurse/Jones
Willoughby
Walker/Odom/Holmes
Zahui B/Stokes/Shook

Another rookie, perhaps? Laughing
Stella Johnson? Let’s goooo Cool
She’s versatile, can hit the 3, is strong, combo guard that can play both wing spots in our system if they believe MJ can play both haha.

I can’t really see us or Boyd wanting a reunion, but I personally wouldn’t mind.
Bias would be fine by me too.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can always play Zahui B and Stokes together, and then the various rookies go back to the 3 where most people projected them before the Liberty got their hands on them.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG: Ionescu/Clarendon
SG: Nurse/Jones
SF: Walker/Willoughby
PF: Zahui B/Odom/Holmes
C: Stokes/Shook

Walker or Willoughby start at SF. Probably Zahui B and Stokes start now. 7 out of 11 players are rookies. Be prepared for a lot of interesting lineups. Hopkins could start Clarendon with Ionescu at SG and Nurse at SF.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/07/20 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now we've got a "team" that isn't there:

Allen and Talbot as the forwards
Han at center
Durr and Johannes as the guards

Going forward, this is a real complication for Kolb and Hopkins. Will Asia Durr be the star that we'd hoped for with the #2 pick? Will she be the up-and-down player we saw for half a season in 2019? This short season would have been a good chance to get a better read on that.

But, most important, I'm wishing good health for Asia Durr.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

Another rookie, perhaps? Laughing
Stella Johnson? Let’s goooo Cool
She’s versatile, can hit the 3, is strong, combo guard that can play both wing spots in our system if they believe MJ can play both haha.

I think Stella Johnson signed with Chicago last week. Another rookie would be insane, though amusing.

Have we heard from Walker? She's the one who sounded vulnerable, working out at a gym in Houston all this time.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prayers for Durr , cant catch a break ! Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/07/20 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What makes Durr high risk? Might as well declare all players high risk.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/07/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob, I think Asia can still develop into an amazing scorer in the W.
Hopefully she recovers quickly from COVID-19, and continues to build strength physically so the chance of future injury is reduced significantly.

Root, you’re right. Stella is off the table Crying or Very sad
Walker has been quiet aside from those glamour shots.
Maybe she did test positive with her seeming to be around other athletes while training.
If she did, hopefully she isn’t as impacted as it sounds Asia has been.

Toad and Richyyy, I’m down to add Stokes into the starting lineup.

And as Shades mentioned in another thread....Gorecki, her deep shooting, aggressive defense with playing passing lanes, height and versatility could be a fit.

I guess I really want 8 rookies Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 07/07/20 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Seems that Durr has had the virus a month and is still not fully recovered.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/07/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

That’s the underreported threat of this virus. People keep talking about athletes putting their lives in jeopardy but based on the numbers I’ve seen the risk of death to people under 40 is extremely low – lower than that for car accidents or even homicide. The real threat comes from COVID-19 symptoms such as inflammation of organs and blood vessels. “Recovery” is defined as having the virus leave your system, but many of these problems persist even after the virus is gone. They can last for months and doctors are concerned about their long-term effects.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
That’s the underreported threat of this virus. People keep talking about athletes putting their lives in jeopardy but based on the numbers I’ve seen the risk of death to people under 40 is extremely low – lower than that for car accidents or even homicide. The real threat comes from COVID-19 symptoms such as inflammation of organs and blood vessels. “Recovery” is defined as having the virus leave your system, but many of these problems persist even after the virus is gone. They can last for months and doctors are concerned about their long-term effects.

These comments are important. At present, no one can know what the long-term effects of a Covid-19 infection will be. Certainly there is reason to be concerned.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:

And obviously something like decreased lung capacity or weakened muscle strength directly affects your earning potential when you're a professional athlete. The negative effects could therefore be more meaningful to a basketball player than someone who sits behind a desk for most of their working life.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just noticed this, but Marta Xargay is Breanna Stewart's +1, So I wonder if she's interested in playing for the Liberty? Or another team?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/07/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Just noticed this, but Marta Xargay is Breanna Stewart's +1, So I wonder if she's interested in playing for the Liberty? Or another team?

Rights still held by Phoenix, as far as I know.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can always make a trade. The question is does Marta live with her new team after the trade? Is Stewie then entitled to a new plus one? If not, does she get a refund of her $4,000/month? Does Xargay get a plus one? So many questions. Smile

PostPosted: 07/07/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Rights still held by Phoenix, as far as I know.

Let's send Talbot back to Phoenix. Talbot for Xargay straight up.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/08/20 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First and foremost hoping Durr gets 100% healthy. Nothing is more important. Basketball-wise I thought she was going to have a major breakout. In my view her absence really inhibits much of the flexibility the Liberty were going to have this year. Now Walker is kinda locked into the 3 spot. Which may be good for establishing Walker’s value. But the whole point of having these hybrid players was to mix and match. Yeah you can still do it, but having Sabrina, Durr, Nurse AND Walker on the floor would have been a nightmare for opponents to defend. If Walker is even with the team.

Though again I emphasize nothing is more important than health right now. Just bringing the basketball aspect into it. Barring really unforeseen stuff I see the Libs as a lottery team just about for sure now. If that’s the case then they’ll add another major piece for 2021.

PostPosted: 07/08/20 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So that roster spot is still open with Durr opting out. I'm guessing based on what's been done so far that they'll try and find a young player to replace her.

Remaining 2020 free-agent draftees - almost all guards:
26. Erica Ogwumike
28. Kamiah Smalls
30. Japreece Dean
31. Haley Gorecki
33. Lauren Manis
34. Tynice Martin
35. Juicy Landrum
36. Sug Sutton

Sutton was ranked just two spots below Ionescu on Hoopgurlz coming out of high school. Martin had a lot of hype at one point. I like Smalls. Landrum is a bit too streaky a shooter for my tastes, but I think she'd fit in on offense. And a few of us have already spoken at length about/in favor of Gorecki.

Last edited by Stormeo on 07/08/20 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/08/20 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So that roster spot is still open with Durr opting out. I'm guessing based on what's been done so far that they'll try and find a young player to replace her.

2020 remaining free-agent draftees - almost all guards:
26. Erica Ogwumike
28. Kamiah Smalls
30. Japreece Dean
31. Haley Gorecki
33. Lauren Manis
34. Tynice Martin
35. Juicy Landrum
36. Sug Sutton

Looking at that group, Tynice Martin is most similar to Odom and Holmes, their last two player additions. We're talking about underachieving athletic players with a high ceiling. Martin does come with baggage, but that didn't discourage management from signing Holmes. I will also add that I've been terrible at predicting what Kolb will do. Laughing

New York has lost Durr, Allen, and Johannes since their original small ball plans were made. They no longer have the outside shooting depth to continually spread the floor with five shooters. Meanwhile, despite all the hand-wringing about them being too small, the Liberty ended up with four true post players (Zahui, Stokes, Shook, Holmes) and one tall SF with superior leaping ability (Odom). Considering their reduced outside shooting and the availability of bigger players, New York is better constructed for conventional basketball than small ball. I wonder if we'll see a change in plans.

PostPosted: 07/08/20 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i am thinking the lack of info on walker is not a good sign... doesn't appear to be with the team/in the bubble.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/08/20 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i am thinking the lack of info on walker is not a good sign... doesn't appear to be with the team/in the bubble.

Possible she tested positive and is following the protocol to quarantine, test negative, and then join the group. I don't think we ever got near the total of seven with the players known to have tested positive. Things appear to have gone badly for Durr, but testing positive doesn't necessarily mean players are out of the season (Chicago were expecting Colson back at some point, for example, the last I heard).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 93 of 111

Jump to: