RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/19/21 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reshanda Gray is playing in Italy. She's averaging a double-double and her team, Campobasso Italy, is doing well.

This great letter from her, done for Women's Hoops World, is posted on the Liberty website. Her team has dedicated its season to the serious problem of violence against women in Italy. In addition, she runs a foundation called "No Gray Areas" that works to empower young women and girls in Gray's home base of California. I didn't know much about her before I read this; she seems like a wonderful person.

https://womenshoopsworld.com/2021/12/12/liberty-forward-reshanda-gray-lighting-it-up-in-italy/

PostPosted: 12/19/21 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, awhom111 recently posted a Basketball Arbitration Tribunal ruling that went against Campobasso. They tried to wriggle out of a contract after a player (Belgian center Linskens) was injured. She had to hurry back to Belgium to have surgery done because the hospital system was about to shut down for all services not related to COVID. Campobasso used this as an excuse to argue that Linskens didn't give them enough notice, which constituted a unilateral decision that violated the terms of her employment. Campobasso subsequently voided Linskens's contract. Below is a link that was originally posted in the Overseas thread.

https://www.fiba.basketball/en/Module/85132837-66aa-4ff3-a063-8cdfe44ea14d/48fb8eb2-e097-474f-ba46-c31b76a661ec

Not that any of this negates the nice things said about Reshanda Gray. Just noting that foreign teams and owners definitely have two sides to them.

PostPosted: 12/19/21 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless I missed something, Reshanda Gray is an UFA who is no longer under contract with the Liberty. Is she a cinch to come back?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/19/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Unless I missed something, Reshanda Gray is an UFA who is no longer under contract with the Liberty. Is she a cinch to come back?

There's a good chance Gray won't be on the team, but that doesn't mean we can't say nice things about her.

PostPosted: 12/19/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She might not end up making the opening day roster, but since when has that stopped her?

PostPosted: 12/19/21 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Quote:
While some long haulers have seen symptoms improve with the COVID vaccine, Durr said she has not been vaccinated yet because she doesn’t want to risk a setback.

While I have had much milder post Covid symptoms, they all disappeared after getting the booster. Primarily my symptom was inability to increase stamina. I have now resumed Tae Kwon Do training and seeing small increases in stamina daily. It's VERY slow, but at least increasing. If I push too far in any workout, I can't work out for two or more days after that. There is no way to speed up this process. I have all kind of feeling for Asia not being able to get back to playing shape quickly. I hope she will get vaccinated as it has been monumental for me and could be for her. I have not heard of anyone experiencing longterm negative symptoms after vaccination (other than those getting blood clots after J & J).

~rAf
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/19/21 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:

There's a good chance Gray won't be on the team, but that doesn't mean we can't say nice things about her.

Of course. Sad that there is an apparent need to justify sharing something nice here about Reshanda Gray. I will underscore: Gray's terrific piece, written for Women's Hoops World, was posted on the website of the New York Liberty. The team was happy to share that article with Liberty fans and so am I.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 12/19/21 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/19/21 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
She might not end up making the opening day roster, but since when has that stopped her?

So well said.

PostPosted: 12/19/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
While I have had much milder post Covid symptoms, they all disappeared after getting the booster. Primarily my symptom was inability to increase stamina. I have now resumed Tae Kwon Do training and seeing small increases in stamina daily. It's VERY slow, but at least increasing. If I push too far in any workout, I can't work out for two or more days after that. There is no way to speed up this process. I have all kind of feeling for Asia not being able to get back to playing shape quickly. I hope she will get vaccinated as it has been monumental for me and could be for her. I have not heard of anyone experiencing longterm negative symptoms after vaccination (other than those getting blood clots after J & J).

I've repeatedly posted my good wishes for Asia Durr. I also send good wishes to you in your post-Covid recovery. I'm glad you are making progress and hope that continues well for you.

PostPosted: 12/19/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:

It’s not about that. It’s about whether or not this author knew her status. Someone who read this article might come to the conclusion she’s definitely on the team this coming season.

Quote:

Liberty forward Reshanda Gray lighting it up in Italy
By Sue Favor - December 12, 2021

I think “Unrestricted free agent Reshanda Gray” would be the proper and more clarifying title to give her. It wouldn’t have to stop them from posting it exclusively for the Liberty fan base (if that’s truly the case). Am I being too picky towards these professional WNBA writers?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/19/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. You're being too picky. Was there anything else you wanted to know?

PostPosted: 12/19/21 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Yes. You're being too picky. Was there anything else you wanted to know?

Agreed. Thank you again, Queenie.

P.S. How could anyone possibly keep track of whether Reshanda Gray officially IS or ISN'T on the Liberty roster? Doesn't that change daily? Smile

PostPosted: 12/19/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty roster: https://liberty.wnba.com/roster/

Quote:
Reshanda Gray

For those who apparently have nothing better to do but get technical about these things & poorly attempt to gatekeep. The roster page even says ‘2022’ on it.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/19/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I've repeatedly posted my good wishes for Asia Durr. I also send good wishes to you in your post-Covid recovery. I'm glad you are making progress and hope that continues well for you.

Thank you Bob!

~rAf
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/19/21 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The Liberty roster: https://liberty.wnba.com/roster/

Quote:
Reshanda Gray

For those who apparently have nothing better to do but get technical about these things & poorly attempt to gatekeep. The roster page even says ‘2022’ on it.

Wonderful, Stormeo. LOL.

PostPosted: 12/31/21 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/khristina2334/status/1477024463866802181?s=21

Quote:
SOURCES: The @nyliberty have ruled out Latricia Trammell as a candidate for head coach.

PostPosted: 12/31/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ramona Shelburne, among others, reporting that Brondello's got the job.

PostPosted: 12/31/21 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go see if Griner wants to come aboard now.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/31/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Go see if Griner wants to come aboard now.

Many of us wanted to see the Liberty get another good post player. I think Brittney Griner could help. Smile

PostPosted: 12/31/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Assuming this proves correct, I view it as excellent news. For reasons discussed here, I wanted to see New York get someone with experience as a WNBA head coach.

PostPosted: 12/31/21 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Assuming this proves correct, I view it as excellent news. For reasons discussed here, I wanted to see New York get someone with experience as a WNBA head coach.

At least getting Brondello – who was just coaching in the Finals – feels like a win-now move, which I think is 100% the right direction to go in at this time. The main pieces of the roster are there already. Take advantage of Ionescu still being on her rookie contract for the next couple seasons. Trade literally any other young aka cheap player you can (you certainly won’t be able to trade away all of them) for as much veteran talent you can get. Cut ties one way or another with the international players who haven’t shown up in years now. But try not to give up any future 1st-round Draft picks unless it simply can’t be helped.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/01/22 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

At least getting Brondello – who was just coaching in the Finals – feels like a win-now move, which I think is 100% the right direction to go in at this time. The main pieces of the roster are there already. Take advantage of Ionescu still being on her rookie contract for the next couple seasons. Trade literally any other young aka cheap player you can (you certainly won’t be able to trade away all of them) for as much veteran talent you can get. Cut ties one way or another with the international players who haven’t shown up in years now. But try not to give up any future 1st-round Draft picks unless it simply can’t be helped.

Why cut ties with anyone who hasn't shown up, if they aren't showing up, it's not costing the Liberty anything, and they've cleared made roster moves without them in mind, so why cut them just for the sake of cutting them. If they want to go to training camp and beat out another player in training camp or if you don't want them in your training camp then make a move, but it doesn't make sense to me to just cut them when they don't hurt you and the only thing they could to is make your roster a little bit better if they show up to training camp and beat out another player.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/01/22 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Why cut ties with anyone who hasn't shown up, if they aren't showing up, it's not costing the Liberty anything, and they've cleared made roster moves without them in mind, so why cut them just for the sake of cutting them. If they want to go to training camp and beat out another player in training camp or if you don't want them in your training camp then make a move, but it doesn't make sense to me to just cut them when they don't hurt you and the only thing they could to is make your roster a little bit better if they show up to training camp and beat out another player.

I'd agree under any circumstances, but especially in a Covid world. There's no reason to take a punitive attitude unless one of these players has misled the organization at some point. This is a business. Han, Johannes, whomever, have had their reasons for coming when they did and not coming when they didn't. Respecting that doesn't hurt the Liberty in any way. Kolb is surely capable of figuring out what's definite, what's likely or unlikely, and making roster moves with all that in mind.

PostPosted: 01/01/22 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I begin 2022 with these questions:

1. Were the Tsais and Jonathan Kolb planning all along to fire Walt Hopkins? Were they ambivalent and then pushed over the line when they learned that Sandy Brondello would be available?

2. Were the Tsais eager to get Becky Hammon as their head coach? Did Las Vegas offer a lot more money? Was the opportunity to be head coach AND general manager crucial for Hammon? Were the Tsais unwilling to dump Kolb?

3. Any chance that Brondello can persuade Griner and/or Taurasi to come to New York and that Kolb can make it happen?

A bit earlier, Stormeo mentioned the apparent hiring of Brondello as a "win now" move. I agree. Two offseasons ago, when the Liberty was going to get Sabrina and had 92 other draft picks, I thought a total rebuild was the right approach.

For me, all that changed last winter. Kolb made three dramatic moves, getting Laney, Howard, and Whitcomb. Consider this: in May 2022, Laney will be about 29, Howard will be nearing 32, and Whitcomb will be nearing 34. Given that, the goal can't be building toward a great team in 2024 or 2025. It has to be winning the WNBA title this year or in 2023.

I am hoping that Kolb can make one or two big moves this winter. And obviously at least one of them has to be adding a valuable post player. Can we permanently ban use of the term "small ball"? Smile

PostPosted: 01/01/22 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Johannes wanted to come over or Han was allowed to come over, I guarantee they would both make the team. Otherwise, Han could be suspended and Johannes is already on some kind of expired contract reserve status. Neither player would take up roster or cap space.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 9 of 55

Jump to: