RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Lottery drawing is....next Thursday?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/22/14 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On Wright I am mixed. I see Clay's point but I also think this year's version of Wright may have been partially affected by injury and absence from the team. Last year's 9 ppg in 22 min I think may be a better gauge only because this season's version of Wright lacked the slashing ability I remember in prior years. Her D this year was outstanding whenever I saw her play though. I think it would be something to consider...trading a mid-first rounder for Wright. She definitely can provide an energy addition to a team and if it is debatable how good that first rounder is, it's gotta be something to consider.

PostPosted: 08/22/14 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are people's thoughts on Banham? I looked her up on youtube and watched some clips, and other than the obvious that she is a great shooter, I thought her first step was ridiculously slow. She maneuvers her way to the basket in college, but I would question what I saw of her moves working in the WNBA. Albeit a low sample size. But where a player like say Maggie Lucas isn't very fast but has a quick first step, I could see her improving. With Banham I would have serious reservation that she can use that first step to create space and penetrate.

PostPosted: 08/22/14 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Monica Wright has started 19 games over the past four seasons (none in 2011, seven in 2012, three in 2013 and nine in 2014), with the Lynx going 16-3. Her averages and percentages in those contests:

28.0 mpg
10.2 ppg
49.3% FG (74-150)
29.0% 3FG (9-31)
85.7% FT (36-42)
3.3 rpg
3.2 apg
1.58 spg
2.3 TO/gm
0.47 bpg
1.40 ast/TO

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
On Wright I am mixed. I see Clay's point but I also think this year's version of Wright may have been partially affected by injury and absence from the team. Last year's 9 ppg in 22 min I think may be a better gauge only because this season's version of Wright lacked the slashing ability I remember in prior years. Her D this year was outstanding whenever I saw her play though. I think it would be something to consider...trading a mid-first rounder for Wright. She definitely can provide an energy addition to a team and if it is debatable how good that first rounder is, it's gotta be something to consider.

Unless there's an unexpected drop in the salary cap (or Wright demands out), I don't see much of a reason why Minnesota would want to do it, though. We already know Reeve doesn't like to trust rookies unless they're extraordinary (Moore) or she's forced to (Dantas). Why give up one of the few players she actually trusts? Especially not for another year, when they might want room to pay Peters on top of the starters and the cash could be a little tighter (not that Peters has done anything to merit a max deal yet).

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Unless there's an unexpected drop in the salary cap (or Wright demands out), I don't see much of a reason why Minnesota would want to do it, though. We already know Reeve doesn't like to trust rookies unless they're extraordinary (Moore) or she's forced to (Dantas). Why give up one of the few players she actually trusts? Especially not for another year, when they might want room to pay Peters on top of the starters and the cash could be a little tighter (not that Peters has done anything to merit a max deal yet).

Dear god, I hope we don't end up paying Peters...

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well it's just that Banham is quite possibly the most popular player to come out of Minnesota, maybe more than Whalen. Shocked
I'd like to keep Monnie though, maybe the Fever will want Peters for their 6th pick?? Then Dantas can get Peters minutes.

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Well it's just that Banham is quite possibly the most popular player to come out of Minnesota, maybe more than Whalen.

As evidenced by 12,000 fans regularly showing up to watch Whalen play at Williams while it's closer to 1,200 for Banham...

blaase22

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Well it's just that Banham is quite possibly the most popular player to come out of Minnesota, maybe more than Whalen.

As evidenced by 12,000 fans regularly showing up to watch Whalen play at Williams while it's closer to 1,200 for Banham...

Well they were good then Laughing
Maybe the most popular since Whalen Wink

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Well they were good then Laughing
Maybe the most popular since Whalen Wink

That's exactly it. Minnesotans love a winner. All your team has to do is be in the running and the crowds will come. We follow all our teams from a distance and still support them, but if you want our butts in the seats you have to put a winner out there. It's part of our pragmatic and frugal nature.

If the Gophers women go on a run like they did back in 04, the stands will be packed once again. Just like how the men's and women's hockey games are always filled to capacity.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/eA5OBqVOzV8?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

<embed src="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=pLaUSLESbBk&start=283&end=483.97&cid=3483764" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/23/14 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/23/14 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
That's exactly it. Minnesotans love a winner. All your team has to do is be in the running and the crowds will come. We follow all our teams from a distance and still support them, but if you want our butts in the seats you have to put a winner out there. It's part of our pragmatic and frugal nature.

If the Gophers women go on a run like they did back in 04, the stands will be packed once again. Just like how the men's and women's hockey games are always filled to capacity.

Translation: We're the biggest bandwagon state in the nation! Very Happy

Randy

PostPosted: 08/23/14 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ClayK wrote:
So why would anyone trade anything of value for her?

Same reason value is traded all the time. She is a good perimeter defender, is fast, and has a huge upside. Many teams will feel that given a starting role she will rise to the challenge. I mean, the Lynx got great value for Wiggins who I felt was being severely overrated.

But we are talking about a 5th or 6th pick in what many are calling a weak draft. Seems about right for a player like Wright.

I don't see a huge upside for a 27-year-old guard who's an average shooter and a bad ballhandler.

But lets be honest. How does she get her shots on the lynx? She sure is not being set up by Whalen and getting open looks. Most of the time she is on the floor when Whalen is getting her rest. She mostly creates for herself of the drive or pull up. She is not running off screens like Augustus or Maya or getting a lot of open looks from kickouts

On the right team she can be a solid starter and with the possible retirement of Tanisha Wright i get why Agler went after Monica Wright who is a solid strong defender that can handle the ball when she has too.
Too bad we didnt get her
Confused

And the Storm wouldn't need to buy a new jersey if they could get her now. But seriously, why would the Lynx want to get rid of her - they don't have a very strong bench and she's their best backup.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/14 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
justintyme wrote:
ClayK wrote:
So why would anyone trade anything of value for her?

Same reason value is traded all the time. She is a good perimeter defender, is fast, and has a huge upside. Many teams will feel that given a starting role she will rise to the challenge. I mean, the Lynx got great value for Wiggins who I felt was being severely overrated.

But we are talking about a 5th or 6th pick in what many are calling a weak draft. Seems about right for a player like Wright.

I don't see a huge upside for a 27-year-old guard who's an average shooter and a bad ballhandler.

But lets be honest. How does she get her shots on the lynx? She sure is not being set up by Whalen and getting open looks. Most of the time she is on the floor when Whalen is getting her rest. She mostly creates for herself of the drive or pull up. She is not running off screens like Augustus or Maya or getting a lot of open looks from kickouts

On the right team she can be a solid starter and with the possible retirement of Tanisha Wright i get why Agler went after Monica Wright who is a solid strong defender that can handle the ball when she has too.
Too bad we didnt get her
Confused

And the Storm wouldn't need to buy a new jersey if they could get her now. But seriously, why would the Lynx want to get rid of her - they don't have a very strong bench and she's their best backup.

They don't want to get rid of her. It'd be a question of whether she is content to stay or move on. If she makes it clear she wants to move on, then I can see the Lynx looking at timely or attractive offers for her. She's an UFA in 2016.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Monica Wright has started 19 games over the past four seasons (none in 2011, seven in 2012, three in 2013 and nine in 2014), with the Lynx going 16-3. Her averages and percentages in those contests:

28.0 mpg
10.2 ppg
49.3% FG (74-150)
29.0% 3FG (9-31)
85.7% FT (36-42)
3.3 rpg
3.2 apg
1.58 spg
2.3 TO/gm
0.47 bpg
1.40 ast/TO

Great stats ... so why do you think there's such a big dropoff when she comes off the bench?

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:

28.0 mpg
10.2 ppg
49.3% FG (74-150)
29.0% 3FG (9-31)
85.7% FT (36-42)
3.3 rpg
3.2 apg
1.58 spg
2.3 TO/gm
0.47 bpg
1.40 ast/TO

Great stats ... so why do you think there's such a big dropoff when she comes off the bench?

p_d left off her rookie season in 2010, which was an injury season for MIN (Augustus, Wiggins), so Wright had plenty of opportunity to prove her worth. She started 24 games, averaged 25.5 min, and was painfully disappointing offensively. 37% fg% that year so that would def help bring down the career averages. Pretty much exclusively a jump shooter her first couple of years.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/23/14 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
What are people's thoughts on Banham? I looked her up on youtube and watched some clips, and other than the obvious that she is a great shooter, I thought her first step was ridiculously slow. She maneuvers her way to the basket in college, but I would question what I saw of her moves working in the WNBA. Albeit a low sample size. But where a player like say Maggie Lucas isn't very fast but has a quick first step, I could see her improving. With Banham I would have serious reservation that she can use that first step to create space and penetrate.

Banham reminds me of a smaller McBride -- I'm not really convinced she's a PG. Overall, I'd put her on a level with Hartley and Schimmel as sort of tweeners or combo guards -- depending on whether you see that as positive or negative. Banham is the best shooter, Hartley the best defender, and Schimmel the best passer. They're different, but sort of on the same talent level. However, I'm comparing Banham as a junior to Hartley and Schimmel as seniors (I'm not including pro development, which is a whole different conversation). My guess is that Banham can come into the WNBA and be a useful rotation player right away.

As far as Lucas goes, she didn't even have a first step after her junior year. She was pretty much just a spot-up jumpshooter. Even now, how often do you see Lucas beat someone off the dribble and make the lay-up? Like never? I give Lucas credit for improving her game, and with her pushy father, she's likely to keep working. However, I think Banham at the same stage of her career is better than Lucas.

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

1. It must be an attempt to get enthusiastic about the 2015 draft, but people have been overvaluing KML all night.

2. I'm not sure about Harrison over Williams. Any reasons? Sell me on Harrison. Will she represent Tennessee as well as Simmons?

1. agree. still as Clay says she could go #1, though I don't see it happening to Seattle. Love her as a college player, but wondering if she won't be Sidney Spencer part 2. Can really stroke it, but anything else?

2. Think GloJo, not Simmons. And unlike GloJo in college, Izzy has actually shown that she can already make layups. Personally I think E.Will is over-rated and a bit soft as well. At best, she is like JLav (who I really like)...but she doesn't have JLav's touch from midrange. The fact that she is already waffling about wanting to play would also make me scared that her heart isn't really in it and that even if she does play, she would retire early.

KML is a lot stronger and more aggressive than Sidney Spencer. She has some willingness to bang that Spencer didn't. Her mentality is just more assertive. Really, what's the worst case scenario for KML? You move her to PF, and she becomes the 4 version of Danielle Adams with better shooting accuracy and a slimmer waistline. Yeah, Kaleena will be short and may have some defensive problems. But how many post players will be able to guard her on the perimeter? Adams is slow, but she always finds a way to get open at the 3-point line. That's because post players -- even good athletes -- don't seem comfortable guarding out there. To use a football analogy, it's like linebackers covering tight ends. Even if the LB is faster, the TE usually gets open. It's about maneuvering in space.

As far as Harrison goes, she's good but she has to learn how to stay out of foul trouble. She's just not on the floor enough. Elizabeth Williams is the most over-hyped player in WCBB. Not saying she doesn't have talent, but boy does she disappear whenever there's a big game.

I find it amusing that people continue to ignore Dearica Hamby. She's a long, athletic player who led the ACC in both scoring and rebounding -- and did it efficiently. To me, she's GloJo with more consistency and a better temperament.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Banham reminds me of a smaller McBride -- I'm not really convinced she's a PG. Overall, I'd put her on a level with Hartley and Schimmel as sort of tweeners or combo guards -- depending on whether you see that as positive or negative. Banham is the best shooter, Hartley the best defender, and Schimmel the best passer. They're different, but sort of on the same talent level. However, I'm comparing Banham as a junior to Hartley and Schimmel as seniors (I'm not including pro development, which is a whole different conversation). My guess is that Banham can come into the WNBA and be a useful rotation player right away.

As far as Lucas goes, she didn't even have a first step after her junior year. She was pretty much just a spot-up jumpshooter. Even now, how often do you see Lucas beat someone off the dribble and make the lay-up? Like never? I give Lucas credit for improving her game, and with her pushy father, she's likely to keep working. However, I think Banham at the same stage of her career is better than Lucas.

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

1. It must be an attempt to get enthusiastic about the 2015 draft, but people have been overvaluing KML all night.

2. I'm not sure about Harrison over Williams. Any reasons? Sell me on Harrison. Will she represent Tennessee as well as Simmons?

1. agree. still as Clay says she could go #1, though I don't see it happening to Seattle. Love her as a college player, but wondering if she won't be Sidney Spencer part 2. Can really stroke it, but anything else?

2. Think GloJo, not Simmons. And unlike GloJo in college, Izzy has actually shown that she can already make layups. Personally I think E.Will is over-rated and a bit soft as well. At best, she is like JLav (who I really like)...but she doesn't have JLav's touch from midrange. The fact that she is already waffling about wanting to play would also make me scared that her heart isn't really in it and that even if she does play, she would retire early.

KML is a lot stronger and more aggressive than Sidney Spencer. She has some willingness to bang that Spencer didn't. Her mentality is just more assertive. Really, what's the worst case scenario for KML? You move her to PF, and she becomes the 4 version of Danielle Adams with better shooting accuracy and a slimmer waistline. Yeah, Kaleena will be short and may have some defensive problems. But how many post players will be able to guard her on the perimeter? Adams is slow, but she always finds a way to get open at the 3-point line. That's because post players -- even good athletes -- don't seem comfortable guarding out there. To use a football analogy, it's like linebackers covering tight ends. Even if the LB is faster, the TE usually gets open. It's about maneuvering in space.

As far as Harrison goes, she's good but she has to learn how to stay out of foul trouble. She's just not on the floor enough. Elizabeth Williams is the most over-hyped player in WCBB. Not saying she doesn't have talent, but boy does she disappear whenever there's a big game.

I find it amusing that people continue to ignore Dearica Hamby. She's a long, athletic player who led the ACC in both scoring and rebounding -- and did it efficiently. To me, she's GloJo with more consistency and a better temperament.

Not me I've had Hamby going in the top ten:). She kinda reminds me of Bonner.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/14 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KML as a regular power forward in the WNBA?

I just do not see that ... now maybe if she gets lots of minutes there for UConn, it might make sense.

PostPosted: 08/24/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I just do not see that ... now maybe if she gets lots of minutes there for UConn, it might make sense.

KML played a lot of 4 in her first two years at UConn while Faris played 3. Just remember, she's bigger than Sophia Young or Catchings, who has played a lot of PF. Kaleena woundn't be the ideal PF, but neither is Danielle Adams the prototypical center. I thought Adams would be a flop, but she proved me wrong. You just need a coach with a little imagination to utilize odd sized players or players with a skill set that isn't normal for their position.

PostPosted: 08/24/14 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ClayK wrote:

KML played a lot of 4 in her first two years at UConn while Faris played 3. Just remember, she's bigger than Sophia Young or Catchings, who has played a lot of PF. Kaleena woundn't be the ideal PF, but neither is Danielle Adams the prototypical center. I thought Adams would be a flop, but she proved me wrong. You just need a coach with a little imagination to utilize odd sized players or players with a skill set that isn't normal for their position.

You also need to be on the right team with the right configuration of players around you where the team can compensate for your lack of size, and where your 3 pt shooting is needed enough to be worth the tradeoff. I'm not convinced there is such a team.

And players are a lot bigger in the WNBA than in college. I don't think "well she played there some at UConn" proves anything about her ability to do it at the next level.

How is she going to defend anyone at the 4 in the WNBA?

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 08/24/14 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few WNBA scouts have said there isn't any player in the league who shoots the ball better than Kaleena. They also say she'll need to work on her body to get the most out of her shooting ability. I'd add ball-handling as well. She is incredibly strong and has shown a willingness to mix it up in the lane which is another thing the scouts like. Defensively, the toughest part for her will be defending at the wing which has a way of humbling all young players in the WNBA. I'm not sure laterally she's any slower than Maya but she of course lacks Maya's other physical tools which make up for her lack of lateral quickness.

If Kaleena commits herself to getting fitter and quicker she should have an excellent pro career because of her ability to shoot the ball.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby: what scares me most is her incredibly high TO rate...and if you say Harrison fouls too much, well, Hamby fouls just as much. She struggles at the FT line and if you project her as a SF, then you have to consider that she can't shoot the three either. Yeah she scores a bunch in college for a team that totally depends on her. Anyway, it'll be interesting to watch her more this year - maybe I'll get more impressed.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/14 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
A few WNBA scouts have said there isn't any player in the league who shoots the ball better than Kaleena.

I believe Liston has better career averages, against comparable or better competition.

PhillyCat wrote:
They also say she'll need to work on her body to get the most out of her shooting ability.

Good luck with that. When's she gonna start working on it, right after the draft?

PhillyCat wrote:
I'd add ball-handling as well.

Zune wants to make her into a shooting guard.

PhillyCat wrote:
She is incredibly strong and has shown a willingness to mix it up in the lane which is another thing the scouts like.

Where are these scouts at?

PhillyCat wrote:
Defensively, the toughest part for her will be defending at the wing which has a way of humbling all young players in the WNBA. I'm not sure laterally she's any slower than Maya but she of course lacks Maya's other physical tools which make up for her lack of lateral quickness.

Lacking most of Maya's tools, not to mention lacking Maya's ability to get into top shape, aren't exactly arguments pointing to a game changer.

PhillyCat wrote:
If Kaleena commits herself to getting fitter and quicker she should have an excellent pro career because of her ability to shoot the ball.

The big IF shows up again.

I don't think anybody's arguing against KML being the #1 pick.
Will she be ROY? I'm not so sure. It'll probably go to the top 6 pick who falls into the best situation. TUL probably would be the best situation for KML.

People usually go gaga for the #1 pick, but I don't see this one being the franchise player it has been for the past 7 years. But she'll definitely stick to the league unless she develops chronic injuries. She's been snakebit recently.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/24/14 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Kaleena woundn't be the ideal PF, but neither is Danielle Adams the prototypical center. I thought Adams would be a flop, but she proved me wrong.

Well... she kind of proved you right too, depending on which meaning of the word you want to apply Wink
[/tangent]

PostPosted: 08/24/14 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is listed at 5'11". That doesn't appear to be an underestimation. Not many listed 5'11" power forwards in the history of the WNBA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: