Total Votes : 29

Shed

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
Toliver... once again Razz

Ran Sue over
Twisted Evil

I agree, Admiral. Not even close to being a questionable call.

Kristi! WHAT THE EFF IS THE PLAN THERE? HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT TO FALL/RUN/BACKPEDAL INTO THE PLAYER WITH THE BALL IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET ALONE SUE BIRD IN THE LAST SECONDS OF A TIE BALL GAME AND NOT GET CALLED FOR A FOUL?!?!

AND HOW IN THE FUCK CAN YOU MANAGE TO PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AFTER THAT?!?!

Word! Seen this call made a million times throughout the league yet for some reason this one is questionable.

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Ran Sue over
Twisted Evil

Kristi! WHAT THE EFF IS THE PLAN THERE? HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT TO FALL/RUN/BACKPEDAL INTO THE PLAYER WITH THE BALL IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET ALONE SUE BIRD IN THE LAST SECONDS OF A TIE BALL GAME AND NOT GET CALLED FOR A FOUL?!?!

Word! Seen this call made a million times throughout the league yet for some reason this one is questionable.

Lobo thought it should have been let go at that stage of the game

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't know if this was shown on tv or if lobo commented on it, but as soon as the whistle blew, parker dropped to her knees and put her forehead on the court. she knew toliver had blown it and who she had just sent to the line. it took cp a good 30 secs or so to get back up.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
don't know if this was shown on tv or if lobo commented on it, but as soon as the whistle blew, parker dropped to her knees and put her forehead on the court. she knew toliver had blown it and who she had just sent to the line. it took cp a good 30 secs or so to get back up.

And how do you know that? Maybe she felt it wasn't a foul at all (it wasn't) and that the Key Arena fix was in at that point.

Mathies to LA 2013
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

That's nonsense. Where a foul falls time-wise has nothing to do with it.

As for the whining -- it's so... CUTE!

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, just some uncalled for things being said on this thread..I guess LA Fans don't like Seattle as much as we don't like LA..but to want people to hurt the players..that's really not cool..We had one of LA's finest fans in the house tonight..and she really showed how classless she was..calling our players "Losers"...she had some guts doing that..You don't go in another teams arena and act like a fool..good way to get your A** kicked but as usual we were cordial and laughed it off...can't say that the same would be done if Storm fans were in the Staples center from my previous experiences there...

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
parker dropped to her knees and put her forehead on the court. she knew toliver had blown it and who she had just sent to the line. it took cp a good 30 secs or so to get back up.

Frustration over the Sparks playoff hopes being decided by a borderline call?

GoLASparks

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CJE35 wrote:
Wow, just some uncalled for things being said on this thread..I guess LA Fans don't like Seattle as much as we don't like LA..but to want people to hurt the players..that's really not cool..We had one of LA's finest fans in the house tonight..and she really showed how classless she was..calling our players "Losers"...she had some guts doing that..You don't go in another teams arena and act like a fool..good way to get your A** kicked but as usual we were cordial and laughed it off...can't say that the same would be done if Storm fans were in the Staples center from my previous experiences there...

Um, I have been to a ton of games in Key Arena, usually wearing a Sparks shirt and can't really say I have that often been treated "cordially." Storm fans are passionate--as are Sparks fans--and when the game is on the line, both sets of fans get as passionate as their teams are. Let's leave it at that.

I've been to almost all the WNBA arenas over the years and would say Connecticut fans have consistently been the nicest to me in my Sparks regalia--but I also almost always seem to be sitting among older women in CT, so maybe it's more about that than the overall fan base....

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

And how do you know that? Maybe she felt it wasn't a foul at all (it wasn't) and that the Key Arena fix was in at that point.

hmm. could be. guess it's up to interpretation, you have yours and i have mine.

CJE35

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoLASparks wrote:
CJE35 wrote:

Um, I have been to a ton of games in Key Arena, usually wearing a Sparks shirt and can't really say I have that often been treated "cordially." Storm fans are passionate--as are Sparks fans--and when the game is on the line, both sets of fans get as passionate as their teams are. Let's leave it at that.

I've been to almost all the WNBA arenas over the years and would say Connecticut fans have consistently been the nicest to me in my Sparks regalia--but I also almost always seem to be sitting among older women in CT, so maybe it's more about that than the overall fan base....

I agree..I think that who you sit around makes a big difference. It's perfectly fine to come to the arena and cheer for you team. Heck, a few years ago, I gave a Monarchs fan in a replica jersey a free ticket and she sat by me. She cheered for the Monarchs but was respectful at the same time. Funny thing is..I can't even remember who won but we had a great time talking about the WNBA and basketball in general.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I don't mind fans being passionate, but it's not right to call home team players names or employ other personal attacks in their home arena. That said, I love it when fans travel, and was more amused by the screamer than anything. But there are little kids around. I'd prefer some example of sportsmanship, and that doesn't have anything to do with how hard you cheer, just how you cheer.

Scuulyfu's interpretations of Parker's reactions jive with my interpretations of Toliver's and Ticha's. Lobo isn't God. She makes mistakes too. But watching just that bit, she didn't even seem to be saying it wasn't a foul, just that the officials had let more blatant ones go.

Anyway, maybe LA fans can find some leftover stimulus money and build a bridge. There's disappointment, which is understandable. But there's also a line, isn't there? Settle it on the court.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What color is the sky on the planet where that's not a foul?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shed wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Ran Sue over
Twisted Evil

Well then Lobo was wrong. This wasn't a ticky-tack foul it was full scale collision that was initiated by Toliver backpedaling with her arms up. Defending someone backwards doesn't absolve a player from being charged with a foul if they initiate contact to the degree that happened on this play. Toliver was probably trying to pretend that she was bumped into Bird. I don't know. I don't know what she was thinking. Whatever it was it was fucking dumb. Inexcusable. Toliver has a mental deficiency of some sort out on the basketball floor.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Shades wrote:
Shed wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Ran Sue over
Twisted Evil

Well then Lobo was wrong. This wasn't a ticky-tack foul it was full scale collision that was initiated by Toliver backpedaling with her arms up. Defending someone backwards doesn't absolve a player from being charged with a foul if they initiate contact to the degree that happened on this play. Toliver was probably trying to pretend that she was bumped into Bird. I don't know. I don't know what she was thinking. Whatever it was it was fucking dumb. Inexcusable. Toliver has a mental deficiency of some sort out on the basketball floor.

Well then, do you agree that the play never should have reached that point if the ref would have called Jackson on the screen?

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 08/29/11 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad we lost, but thankfully still on the road to a lottery pick Laughing

Nerd2

PostPosted: 08/29/11 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Well then, do you agree that the play never should have reached that point if the ref would have called Jackson on the screen?

I would. That was one wickedly illegal screen. And she wonders why her left hip keeps getting sore! But the ref missed it. Just like the ref missed the multiple other over-the-backs, arms-horizontal-in-the cylinder, and you name it. Or rather sometimes missed it and sometimes called it. It's the inconsistency that's killing me. Yes, I could see how given all the other stuff not called it could have been let go. And Sue sold it extremely well. But Toliver was "defending" by backing into a player and impeding her progress. It's sad that basketball has gotten to the point where a defensive player can move into an offensive player like that and have it not be a foul.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/29/11 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
Shades wrote:

That's nonsense. Where a foul falls time-wise has nothing to do with it.

You really believe that? I guess you could make an argument that it shouldn't matter. Not necessarily a sound one but you could make it. But that it doesn't matter? In the present and past reality of organized basketball as it exists? I don't know how anyone could believe that.

How do you explain then that Rebbecca Lobo, a former college and professional player and long-time basketball commentator, and no dummy by any means, would suggest something, a concept, that doesn't actually exist in the sport she's spent the better part of her life involved with? Does Lobo ever suggest other things that aren't actually a part of the sport? During a game?

She was wrong about this foul, wrong to suggest that the refs should have let this foul go. It was not ticky tack it was substantial physical contact and the refs would have been remiss to have not called that. But she didn't suggest some alien foreign concept to the sport she knows so well.

Do you really think she did? Shocked

PostPosted: 08/29/11 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Shades wrote:
Shed wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Ran Sue over
Twisted Evil

I'll have to go back and take a look at that, Shades.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

PostPosted: 08/29/11 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
Don't expect to get a late call at the Key, I believe we established that already.

True, but it's no less horseshit. It's okay, though. The next time Seattle loses on the road and their fans blame the refs, I will have a field day. Cool

Well, Seattle gets to come to the land of LaLa in two days.

Can't wait to see em, on LISA LESLIE court! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Sparks are gonna fly Evil or Very Mad

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/29/11 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Birdy sold it and thats the truth but can you really blame her? It was a very savy clever move and that is the difference in this situation. Bird's basketball IQ and Toliver's.

But everyone on here is forgetting and ignoring Toliver's DUMB move. Take a look at it again and explain to me what Toliver is doing Shocked She should have stood STILL with her hands up instead she backpedals while in contact with Sue INFRONT of the ref! Then watch Toliver's own reaction when she slaps the ball against her own head and realises that she made a stupid stupid mistake!

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/29/11 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Birdy sold it and thats the truth but can you really blame her? It was a very savy clever move and that is the difference in this situation. Bird's basketball IQ and Toliver's.

But everyone on here is forgetting and ignoring Toliver's DUMB move. Take a look at it again and explain to me what Toliver is doing Shocked She should have stood STILL with her hands up instead she backpedals while in contact with Sue INFRONT of the ref! Then watch Toliver's own reaction when she slaps the ball against her own head and realises that she made a stupid stupid mistake!

Also, they showed the ground level camera view from behind Bird on the replay over and over again... but it's the original real-time angle from the standard high midcourt perspective that shows just how FAR Toliver had to go, looked like anywhere from five to seven feet, and how FAST she was going towards Bird. She came far and fast. Bird would have been bush league not to have taken advantage of Toliver's boneheadedness by taking a step to her left and leaning even further to seal the deal. It's still a foul on Toliver. She's the one who interjected herself into that situation like a bowling ball rolling into a pin. The fact that Bird sold it? First, I'm not so sure I'd technically call it 'selling' the foul as in flopping or acting. Look. They all sell every fucking foul now that they can. But there's also getting a player off their feet and getting under them when they come down. To me that's not selling a foul that's cleverly taking advantage of someone's overcommitting to draw an actual foul. Bird could see Toliver coming her way and that she was out of control. Bird has EVERY right to dribble to her left or make a move in any direction. Unless a defender's planted there.

So... if this wasn't a foul that should have been called WHAT'S the solution to a Sue Bird's dilemma in that situation where she wants to go to her left to pass or take a shot and someone from the other team comes flying into her and prevents her from pulling up for that jumper? That's what a foul is FOR. That's what the refs are there for. Shocked

Look. I wanted LA to win this game. I was yelling like it's a Steelers game at this point in the contest.

As far as Parker's reaction. You know, I don't KNOW what she was thinking. But I THINK I agree with whomever said she expressing her disgust regarding Toliver's foul. That's my reading of her initial reaction and her going to the floor. She's not reacting right there like players do when there's a call they don't like from the officials. It's an entirely different set of behaviors you see from these players. Laughing People put their hands on their own heads when they feel that they've made a blunder. And in Parker's case, that would include one of her teammates giving away the ballgame. So that makes sense to me.

You know, PLUS, it's in agreement with my reading of things. Someone else might have an entirely different take on the matter.

But just think about some of the real fundamental issues here. Don't foul. Don't bail the other team out with foul late in the shot clock or, in this case, the game clock. Don't do these things. If one of your teammates does one of them and it costs you the game... hello. Hands on the head, drop to your knees. etc. Parker's a drama queen. I don't say that disparagingly. It's GREAT. She's in the entertainment business. The older players didn't react that way. We sure reacted that way around here. Lemme tell you.

One last thing. Toliver impeded Parker from staying on Bird right there. Parker was chasing the ball around the horn at that point, like Swoopes used to. She was on Bird and definitely in position to defend a three. Here comes this knucklehead.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got done watching this one.
Obvious foul.
Hard to believe that call is even being debated.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Ha-ha-ha. How does More whining "get me"? Laughing I think I can spot it by now, thank you. Wink the reason LA didn't get to the line: settling for outside jumpers. You said it yourself: they need to get Parker the ball down low. Instead we have Hoffman shooting 3s. Rolling Eyes

That doesn't account for all the off-the-ball or on the floor fouls against the Storm. The foul discrepancy was not that large. The Storm were just picking up garbage perimeter fouls. 'bout time LA got called for one.

Refs seem to pretty consistently call body contact on the perimeter, though.

If this was the case, the foul on Tolliver never happens because LJ should have been called for the illegal screen 4sec earlier.

GO DREAM!!!
Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/29/11 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordan3 wrote:
norwester wrote:
Ha-ha-ha. How does More whining "get me"? Laughing I think I can spot it by now, thank you. Wink the reason LA didn't get to the line: settling for outside jumpers. You said it yourself: they need to get Parker the ball down low. Instead we have Hoffman shooting 3s. Rolling Eyes

That doesn't account for all the off-the-ball or on the floor fouls against the Storm. The foul discrepancy was not that large. The Storm were just picking up garbage perimeter fouls. 'bout time LA got called for one.

Refs seem to pretty consistently call body contact on the perimeter, though.

If this was the case, the foul on Tolliver never happens because LJ should have been called for the illegal screen 4sec earlier.

Nope LJ screen was a down screen for Sue on the left side around the bucket not on the perimeter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: