RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/14/19 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think past Liberty connections is going to mean much to Kolb or Tsai. Kolb probably has some contacts around the league but in different circles. I have no idea where that leads. We only know he's from Arizona and has a legal background. If Tsai gets involved, I doubt he knows very many WNBA people. He's not likely to be the one who hires a current assistant. I see him looking for more of a big name even if it's an outside-of-the-box choice from college or the NBA.

I get the sense that Tsai is a patient man who moves forward carefully. He's been dealing with the Chinese government for 20 years. It's a situation where you have to be very aware of circumstances around you. Otherwise, one can literally get thrown in jail or have arbitrary penalties levied against your company. It wouldn't shock me if the coaching situation drags on for a while. However, we need to see Kolb representing the team on Tuesday. If Katie Smith is still the face of the Liberty, then she's likely coming back.

PostPosted: 09/15/19 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Def agree with Root about Liberty ties. I wonder how VJ would be on merit having learned from Dan Hughes and now Laimbeer. If the Libs don’t get Ionescu, Plum is a player I would want. I think she’d fit the post All-Star break offense quite well and she’d attainable. In spite of a down year offensively, her D has improved and I think she’d be fine in a more guard-friendly offense.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27629894/sources-nets-tab-ex-turner-exec-levy-ceo

I wonder if he's in charge of the Liberty as well?

PostPosted: 09/16/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone somewhere said the Liberty would want a big PG to balance Durr at the 2 and Nurse at the 3 going forward. I believe the argument was used to explain the attempt at signing Cloud and as a reason (among others) that NY wouldn't want Carter if they fell to 3 and she declared early so,

if NY misses out on #1 and Ionescu and wanted a PG with size what would people think about trying to trade for Gabby Williams and continuing the Gabby Williams at PG experiment that Chicago was doing towards the end of the season?

I think Williams lining up on the perimeter with Durr and Nurse is a doable concept and would improve our defense. Williams lack of shot might not hurt so much with Durr, Nurse and Charles all being "considered" 3 point threats ( even if their 2019 percentages were mediocre at best).

And I think Williams would be an achievable trade target for NY if Chicago re-commits to Faulkner or brings back C. Jackson or uses #7 or NY's #13 *which I assume would be part of the trade for a back PG such as Dangerfield at 7 or Harris or J. Dean at 13.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/16/19 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Someone somewhere said the Liberty would want a big PG to balance Durr at the 2 and Nurse at the 3 going forward. I believe the argument was used to explain the attempt at signing Cloud and as a reason (among others) that NY wouldn't want Carter if they fell to 3 and she declared early so,

if NY misses out on #1 and Ionescu and wanted a PG with size what would people think about trying to trade for Gabby Williams and continuing the Gabby Williams at PG experiment that Chicago was doing towards the end of the season?

I think Williams lining up on the perimeter with Durr and Nurse is a doable concept and would improve our defense. Williams lack of shot might not hurt so much with Durr, Nurse and Charles all being "considered" 3 point threats ( even if their 2019 percentages were mediocre at best).

And I think Williams would be an achievable trade target for NY if Chicago re-commits to Faulkner or brings back C. Jackson or uses #7 or NY's #13 *which I assume would be part of the trade for a back PG such as Dangerfield at 7 or Harris or J. Dean at 13.

That was me, but Katie has subsequently said she wants more scoring -- especially from the PG position. I honestly have no idea what's going on. I'm just leaving it in the hands of fate, which is why I've mostly refrained from trade and free agency talk. Whatever we come up with is unlikely to happen.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed by this time tomorrow the conversation gets a lot simpler

get #1 draft Ionescu Hooray!

don't get #1 but get #2 argue about Cox (some think great some think not so much), and early entry from Carter (some think great some think not so much) argue about trade value and make crazy trade proposals

get #3 argue about Carter, argue about who is next best available player, argue about trade value and make crazy trade proposals

if not #1 demand a comprehensive list of free agents for next season and argue about who and how we get them in NY

toad455

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10 Biggest Takeaways from the 2019 Liberty season.

https://netsrepublic.com/the-10-takeaways-2019-new-york-liberty-season/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
10 Biggest Takeaways from the 2019 Liberty season.

https://netsrepublic.com/the-10-takeaways-2019-new-york-liberty-season/

*Tina Charles struggled, but the end of the season reminded us of how good she can be
There’s not really a way to sugarcoat this: For a good bit of the 2019 season, Tina Charles was bad.
*Amanda Zahui B continued to extend her range, and she’s a big part of New York’s future
I remember before the season started hearing a lot of people on Twitter who were mad about the Liberty starting Zahui B at the five. I hope they all realize they were wrong.

They were mad? Who else was going to start, Xu?

*Asia Durr’s rookie year didn’t go as expected, but injuries happen
I know there are people out there who think the Liberty should have taken one of the Rookie of the Year finalists.

They were mostly hindsighters. But speaking as a foresighter, McCowan was a no-brainer.

*Brittany Boyd’s time in New York is probably done
Boyd was taken out of the starting lineup during the season and was out of the rotation at times.
*Wow, Reshanda Gray sure can rebound!
Of players to play at least 10 minutes per game, Gray was third in offensive rebounding rate!

Stats nerd alert! They tend to fool themselves with these stats.

*Kia Nurse still needs to work on consistency, but she made some big strides
Kia Nurse made the All-Star Game this year and took some clear steps forward, upping her scoring and assist numbers.
*I hope the 2020 Olympics don’t lead to us not seeing Marine Johannès
The 2020 Olympics could disrupt some things. For example: Will Marine Johannès miss most of the season again while training with France?

At this time last year, how many people even knew she was a WNBA prospect?

*Han Xu’s shown promise, but taking it slow with her playing time was the right call
A lot of people wanted to see a lot more of Han Xu during her rookie year, especially when it became clear that the Liberty weren’t going to be making a push for the postseason.
*Rebecca Allen should continue to see time as a stretch four
I wrote about this last month, but to sum it up real quick: While Amanda Zahui B was out with a concussion, the Liberty used Rebecca Allen more as a stretch four. It worked.

Was she really a four or was it more like playing two threes?

*I’m going to miss Tanisha Wright
I really hope Katie Smith hires Tanisha Wright as an assistant coach now that Wright is retiring.

We all know that’s going to be Katie Smith’s decision. Wink
He steered clear on any takes on Katie Smith. He must be a big fan.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/17/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How can someone write a long, detailed evaluation of the Liberty's 2019 season and offer no evaluation of Katie Smith's coaching?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/17/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He made a good point about Durr’s lack of touches. Some other things not so much. And yes Katie Smith’s coaching needs to be a major takeaway.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't even wanna be in this thread if the Lib's get the 3rd pick and Katie is employed after tonight Confused

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kolb, not Katie. Wonderful.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Liberty!

You have got 1/2 of what you have wanted! Hopefully the other 1/2 drops soon!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YES. #1 pick. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Laughing Laughing Almost as good as getting #1.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predicted Sabrina to the Libs when she was a Freshman. Somehow I just knew. The backcourt of her, Durr and Nurse are going to be something else in 3-5 years.

Good for them though! With the size of their market, a healthy Liberty is good for the league.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Laughing Laughing Almost as good as getting #1.

Yes indeed. Smile

I hope that our joy about getting the #1 pick will soon be followed by further joy regarding a coaching change. As I've said various times, I wish Katie Smith well. If she wants to continue as a coach, I hope she is successful. But she can't be the Liberty's coach in 2020. She's got to go.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll say it now, let's go after a free agent center. Dolson? Lavender? Zahui B, Allen and Johannes become our main bench players.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now for a big post. Any FA BIGs out there?

sorta OT: Kolb looks like a strange dude. Have you NY'ers actually met and talked to him?

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s no understating the significance of this. Ionescu is THAT good no matter what anyone says. Moving forward, Ionescu, Durr, Nurse gives us a legitimate big 3 for a long time. That’s not even accounting for whatever Tina has left because either way there is NO reason for the offense to be disproportionately run through Tina. I’d hope for a reduced role for Tina upgrading her efficiency.

On Katie, I have no faith in her bringing the team to its max success. I did however believe that the system she ran in the second half was perfect for Ionescu. Being that I’d like the team to finish somewhere above twelfth in defensive efficiency, I’d still prefer a coaching change.

With adequate coaching, this should be a good basketball team. Four of the five starters will be either all-stars or top collegiate offensive players. That means other pieces as well as the 2021 first round draft pick can now be in play for potential trades without hurting our future.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 09/17/19 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

sorta OT: Kolb looks like a strange dude. Have you NY'ers actually met and talked to him?

He was a WNBA analytics guy. That’s all I know about him.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
myrtle wrote:

He was a WNBA analytics guy. That’s all I know about him.

There are those that think he looks like a psycho killer

toad455

PostPosted: 09/17/19 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now in all seriousness, we need to announce our home arena(s) for next season. If it's a split between Nassau and Barclays, announce it ASAP to build up hype & STH for next year.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 09/17/19 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want to add that I was quite emotional earlier. Ionescu’s traits represent everything that I love about women’s basketball in the first place. So excited right now.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My wish list for 2020:

1. Ionescu as our #1 pick. DONE.

2. All or most home games in Brooklyn.

3. New coach. Better coach.

4. Tanisha Wright as an assistant coach.

5. A better center, whether by free agency or trade. I don't want New York to go with Zahui B, Stokes, and Han. I want someone better.

6. An experienced point guard to back up Ionescu. Not a star, just a reasonable backup. Not Boyd or Hartley. Since Hartley can play both PG and SG, I'm OK with her as our 11th or 12th player. Nothing more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 5 of 111

Jump to: