RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Someone sign Sammy P
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 04/24/16 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LxhgsNcGFXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No one has a comment on the video though? You may as well watch it, you're not going to see many players in the WNBA do most of this stuff (unless she get's signed of course). Some of it you won't see anyone else do. Most W players got almost no moves. If they do it's like simple stuff, like a crossover. A jab step. Maybe a step back. Not the array of moves and counter-moves like this. Not to mention some of the fun stuff she does just to make it entertaining (it is entertainment after all). Watch and enjoy!

PostPosted: 04/27/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Shades wrote:
True or False: Sammy Prahalis is the first player selected to the All-Rookie team to involuntarily not make it through a second year of the WNBA.

This is absolutely true. The only player to be cut from her team after being on the ART in WNBA history. SMDH...

That is false Marta Fernandez was named All-Rookie in 2007, decided not to play the 2008 season, signed in 2009 and was cut in training camp. She did not make it to the start of her second season.

BBall123

PostPosted: 04/28/16 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Prahalis as she is entertaining and I hope she does get back into the league. You might be right and there may be issues off the court that are holding her back.

At the same time there are some justifiable reasons why she's not in the league on the court as well. She combines some characteristics that teams aren't looking for.

She lacks size for the position but you could argue that players like Jefferson lack size. You'd be right but players like Jefferson also have impressive speed, quickness and defensive capabilities.

You could argue that although she's not quick she's not as slow as the likes of Bird and Whalen and that's true but those players don't impact floor spacing issues as much with questionable 3pt shooting.

I think teams just might be concerned that defenses could cheat off her and create spacing issues for the rest of the team unless her 3pt shooting improves. That makes the team she went to in Italy a bad opportunity to showcase her skills as she may have been forced to put it up too often harming her percentages and that prevented some teams from considering her.

Also when you look at the teams in the league many just aren't a fit right now.

Teams that have defense-first philosophies like Agler and Laimbeer aren't going to be interested.

Teams that value outside shooting/floor spacing like Connecticut and Washington will see her percentages and might look elsewhere.

Others may have well entrenched point guards and may look to develop someone younger behind their established starters.

I think it's just a tough fit right now but I hope she gets in at some point because in terms of entertainment she's certainly in the top 5 of pgs.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 04/28/16 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBall123 wrote:
She lacks size for the position but you could argue that players like Jefferson lack size. You'd be right but players like Jefferson also have impressive speed, quickness and defensive capabilities.

You could argue that although she's not quick she's not as slow as the likes of Bird and Whalen and that's true but those players don't impact floor spacing issues as much with questionable 3pt shooting.

Sammy isn't quick? You might want to re watch the video. Yeah she's plenty fast. And Jefferson hasn't shown any defensive capabilities yet in the WNBA. (more on defense below)

Whalen can't shoot 3's. Sammy shot 37% on Mersin in Turkey last year when she didn't have to try and do everything on offense. And she went through a rough period too this year where they just weren't falling, which affected her 3 percentage. I thinks she's at least a 35% 3-pt shooter in a better offense. Definitely enough to keep you honest. She's a better 3 pt shooter than Whalen.

Quote:
Teams that have defense-first philosophies like Agler and Laimbeer aren't going to be interested.

Agler may be a little disappointed in Chelsea Gray then. And he's already got Toliver. And Sam isn't that bad defensively. You guys just like to repeat what everyone else says.

Quote:
Teams that value outside shooting/floor spacing like Connecticut and Washington will see her percentages and might look elsewhere.

Again, she's a good shooter. I think most GM's understand the percentages are going to be lower on a team where a player is expected to do more. I think she shot well in context to the team she was on. And if Connecticut values shooting so much, then Jasmine Thomas should be on the chopping block. Kelly Faris too. And Bria Hartley's, Tayler Hill's, and Natasha Cloud's shooting percentages aren't earth shattering for Washington.

But I do agree it's more a fit thing right now. Not because of her ability, but because of how she plays. The flashy style might not be for everyone. If you want to put some behinds in seats, it should be for everyone. But some of these coaches/GM's are stuck in the '50's or '60's or something and just want you to do the fundamental play. Sammy wants to make the play, but make it look good too. We need players like her in the league. You don't have to lower the rim to make it exciting and fun.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: