RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

When the wedding
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/08/08 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:

Haven't we always read over the years about the sanctity of the locker room?

The "sanctity of the locker room"? You mean, that place where sports writers and photographers go after the game to interview and take pictures of players? That sanctified place? The place where Taj in fact was being interviewed while at least two different photographers were photographing LH and KS?

Yup, looks like a very sanctified place to me.

DTP

PostPosted: 10/08/08 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PattyforPresident wrote:
Rothum wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
What's inaccurate?

As for privacy, two people posing for a camera are not being private (and this is hardly the first such pic these two have posed for).

Your posts seem to suggest that being gay is something to be secretive about and hidden. (Apologies if that's not what you intended.) I prefer to see people, gay or not, simply going about their lives being themselves. And if they want to express joy in public in front of a camera, more power to them.

No attempt to imply secrecy should be encouraged and I would certainly be the last to say that about being gay. One thing no one has said, that might clarify my point. If you look at the background, that picture was taken in the locker room. I bolded a part of your post above. See, it was not at center court postgame, or in the public eye. It was in front of teammates, friends and maybe family, and yes, a yahoo photographer who chose to post it online.

Haven't we always read over the years about the sanctity of the locker room? The point is, we can't tell what they had intended. Whether they wanted it to be public or not. It's their business.

Discretion, I would think, in that type of circumstance, would lead to perhaps a little less discussion of their personal lives and a little more focus on the amazing performance Ms. Smith had in the finals.

I'm with CourtsideTix, smiling into the camera is not hiding, no matter where you do it. I can't speak on whether they're dating, but they're certainly not hiding the fact that they enjoy hugging one another.

I agree as well. I'm all about not putting people's business and whatever out there but like I said earlier in this thread, it doesn't look like they're making any effort to hide anything. Yeah they're in the locker room but they're posing for the camera and the photos were posted on a public website for us fans to view. If they wanted to be so private about it or whatever then they should not have posed for the camera. I could see if like they were hugging and the picture was taken from someone sneaking into the locker room and the players were unaware of it or whatever but that's definitely not the case here.

Plus, there's another photo out on a public website with Lindsey sitting on Katie's lap that was posted on here before. Once again, if you don't want it out in the public being discussed then don't posed for the camera. It'd be something different if it was their private photos as well...say for example if they had a myspace and people took them off there and posted it but again that's not the case.

Rothum

PostPosted: 10/08/08 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

The "sanctity of the locker room"? You mean, that place where sports writers and photographers go after the game to interview and take pictures of players? That sanctified place? The place where Taj in fact was being interviewed while at least two different photographers were photographing LH and KS?

Yup, looks like a very sanctified place to me.

Was it out in public in full view? Did they have the opportunity to do so and they didn't? Have they said anything publicly? The answer no it wasn't, yes they had the opportunity and didn't, and no they haven't.

You want to look to disagree, and disagree about the locker room, go for it.

Find me a statement amongst all those reporters you are talking about where either of them has ever said they were gay, or they were a couple and let me know. Until then, discretion, in my opinion, means you let them have their moment the way they want it, without "when's the wedding" comments with winking emoticons, and innuendo.

PFP, I never used the word hiding, or even tried to say they were hiding something. I'm just saying it's their business, something that no one here can deny. Let them have their business.

Again, how about focusing on the series Katie Smith had? Isn't that what it's all about? The MVP performance, not her love life?

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
PattyforPresident

PostPosted: 10/08/08 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:

Was it out in public in full view? Did they have the opportunity to do so and they didn't? Have they said anything publicly? The answer no it wasn't, yes they had the opportunity and didn't, and no they haven't.

You want to look to disagree, and disagree about the locker room, go for it.

Find me a statement amongst all those reporters you are talking about where either of them has ever said they were gay, or they were a couple and let me know. Until then, discretion, in my opinion, means you let them have their moment the way they want it, without "when's the wedding" comments with winking emoticons, and innuendo.

PFP, I never used the word hiding, or even tried to say they were hiding something. I'm just saying it's their business, something that no one here can deny. Let them have their business.

Again, how about focusing on the series Katie Smith had? Isn't that what it's all about? The MVP performance, not her love life?

While I agree, "when's the wedding?" is a little much, why is this such a sensitive topic for people? Seriously, if this were a player and her boyfriend and nobody knew about it, we'd guess and speculate and nobody would have an issue. CP3 and Shelden Williams started out with the same, "I wonder if he's banging her" speculation. It's human nature to be curious about that stuff. Nobody said anything negative about them or the situation. I don't think we should go around taking it as fact that two people are together until it has been confirmed, however. That said, in many situations, this doesn't happen. I know of multiple players' and coaches' significant others and even spouses who wait outside because they don't want the reporters to see them together or photographers to photograph them together and cause speculation or unneeded distraction.

Okay, and I hate to do this, but how about that ring on Harding's left hand?

TweetyMulatto

PostPosted: 10/08/08 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is kind of funny. Why can't people just accept that they make an adorable couple and get OVER IT?!?!

what's all the arguing, commotion, and hostility for?

If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...would you slow down? Or speed up?
shock6666

PostPosted: 10/08/08 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:
This is kind of funny. Why can't people just accept that they make an adorable couple and get OVER IT?!?!

Because ya'll are doing all this speculating on something that may be private and personal between two people. People are allowed to pose for a picture together. Great that they're smiling in the photo. Most people smile in photos. What makes it all wrong is for this wild speculation and drooling over if they're a couple or not...and all the insinuating that they are in fact a couple. Players are allowed to celebrate and hug other people, without their personal business being tossed about for the world to speculate about.

bballequalslife

PostPosted: 10/08/08 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:

Everyone likes to try to be the message board police.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 10/08/08 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
DTP wrote:
I don't have a problem with it either....not that it'd matter if I did. I'm a straight male but hey...can't help who you fall in love with so whatever. I just wish more people...WNBA players, NBA players, NFL players...whoever could just come out and say this is who I am, love me or hate me its who I am. That's why I've gained a ton of respect for SS when she came out. And that's why I think its cool they aren't necessarily hiding it or whatever.

But I don't like talking too much about personal player's lives...I just thought it was cool. Very Happy

I agree 100% what players do in their personal life is their own business

Yes their personal lives are their own biz but come on . . .as a Lynx fan I can't help but love the idea of those two together. It's the past and the present coming together in an unexpected way!

PostPosted: 10/08/08 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:

I thought this thread should have been deleted on day 1. The photo was pretty innocuous to begin with and then for posters to tabloid it up ..... Sad

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shock6666 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:

Because ya'll are doing all this speculating on something that may be private and personal between two people. People are allowed to pose for a picture together. Great that they're smiling in the photo. Most people smile in photos. What makes it all wrong is for this wild speculation and drooling over if they're a couple or not...and all the insinuating that they are in fact a couple. Players are allowed to celebrate and hug other people, without their personal business being tossed about for the world to speculate about.

i for one am not speculating anything.

If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...would you slow down? Or speed up?
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:

I'm happy that they're happy- I'm just weirded out by the ten-year age gap.

Unfortunately, it looks like the thread has opened up some old wounds and helped a coupla folks find old axes to grind.

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shrrew wrote:
bballequalslife wrote:

I thought this thread should have been deleted on day 1. The photo was pretty innocuous to begin with and then for posters to tabloid it up ..... Sad

Actually interest in the athletes' social lives is part of the sport getting more popular. I mean look at all the constant talk about the personal lives of NFL quarterbacks or New York Yankee baseball players. This WNBA stuff is actually remarkably mild and harmless. And most of the personal life type gossip I hear about WNBA players is kind of sweet, not stuff that drags them down or makes them look bad but more "Oh look who's dating who!"

Anyway, if I were Harding and I wasn't gay and found out people thought I was hooking up with Katie Smith I'd just laugh and be flattered, lol. It isn't like there is a rumor saying anything bad about her.

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:

Sorry I didn't mean to say that you were speculating...just pretty much everyone else here has decided that these two are a couple based on a photo...

jaye

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PattyforPresident wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
Why is any of this about anything?????

This is about a poster making a big deal out of nothing.

Yes, players should be allowed to have personal lives, but whether they are gay straight or asexual their relationships may be commented on here.

Fact is, these ladies need no protection. There are no lines being crossed. It doesn't become more important to give someone privacy because they are gay.

We are all equal and to treat gay relationships any differently than straight relationships here would only serve to perpetuate the idea that they aren't the same exact freaking thing.

So in closing, it's not worth letting Rothum stir stuff up that isn't an issue for anyone else on this board. Personally, I wouldn't bring up this sort of thing, but it's not offensive to me for someone to insinuate that Harding and Smith are very close or in a relationship. I have far too much else to worry about than to get wrapped up in that.

X_________________

i agree also.....it's not an issue with me.....except for being jealous.....lindsey harding is cute as hell......and as i understood it.....it's pretty much common knowledge that they're a couple.....

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Ten years isn't that much.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
fanof33

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Ten years isn't that much.

Age aint nothing but a number.

"Legends have the privilege of being ageless"- Sia (movie)
caune

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

pfft, ten years ain't nothin'

It's a cute picture, end of story Wink

PostPosted: 10/08/08 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:

This thing is making me laugh......I am sure Lindsey and Katie would be crackin up at all this fuss over this pic.
TM I am not speculating anything either. Rolling Eyes and i am certainly not basing anything on one or two photos.

fanof33

PostPosted: 10/08/08 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukegirl125 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:

This thing is making me laugh......I am sure Lindsey and Katie would be crackin up at all this fuss over this pic.
TM I am not speculating anything either. Rolling Eyes and i am certainly not basing anything on one or two photos.

I would!!

"Legends have the privilege of being ageless"- Sia (movie)
TweetyMulatto

PostPosted: 10/08/08 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukegirl125 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:

The speculation period ended a year ago.

irk

PostPosted: 10/08/08 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm new around here (though I've been reading for years), so I know my opinion doesn't carry any weight, but...

This thread would not still be ongoing -- and here I am perpetuating it -- if it were a heterosexual couple in the picture.

You can couch it as a privacy issue all you want. It's not. It's heterosexism. Period.

PostPosted: 10/08/08 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. The subject line of thread just isnt right.

If the picture was okay with the two peeps then cool. Who cares what they are besides good (great) players anyway? Give it high marks on a yawn factor.

If more people could be open this would be a less screwed up world.

Here we go again with the "how great off-court" is. Fine..theres another bball board. Okay, moving on. Yawn.

Gay or straight athletes. McCain, Palen, Obama, Biden....yawn twice and move on (unless palen can dunk).

PostPosted: 10/08/08 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm new around here, too, but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion either. Smile As anyone who's read my few posts may suspect, I'm one of the first to get my shorts in twist over heterosexism and the infuriating double standard. And I do think there's a little of that going on in this thread. But after untwisting my shorts, I think there is a second, more complicated issue going on as well. Namely, when is a person out.

Some of the posters here have expressed a genuine and heartfelt concern that a closeted person not be outed. I'd bet that 90% of the folks posting about KS and LH here would agree with that, and would not out a closeted athlete.

So, are KS & LH out or not? I submit that the old standard of "Have they so stated in the press?" may not be any good any more. I think the days of the big coming out article may be long gone. I imagine we will see more and more people choosing to simply be out, rather than come out.

Since it will take a while for all of us to figure out the rules in this brave new world, I expect we'll be having some verson of this conversation again a few times. I will try to remember to breathe and to keep my shorts untwisted. Smile

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/08/08 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this were a male-female couple, the WNBA would be deluging us with photos of them together: the engagement ring, the wedding, the honeymoon, etc. Rolling Eyes

Katie and Lindsey look like two women who are very happy in each others' arms. Hurrah! Very Happy

jaye

PostPosted: 10/08/08 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TweetyMulatto wrote:
dukegirl125 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
TweetyMulatto wrote:

The speculation period ended a year ago.

that was pretty much my understanding of the matter..... Confused

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: