RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tina Charles traded...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
braveniler58

PostPosted: 10/26/13 11:27 am    ::: Tina Charles traded...? Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/tinacharles31/status/394131682212974592

"Guess I'll be living in LA"

Shocked

Someone please tell me this doesn't mean what I think it means.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tweet right before that:

Quote:
Tina Charles ‏@tinacharles31 10h

the dear john letter..

Also seems fishy... a dear John letter, as in an ending of things with the Sun?

Weird. And if true, also kind of tacky to tweet it.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I wonder who is going to Connecticut.

jap

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
So I wonder who is going to Connecticut.

If Tina is being traded to the Land of La La, I have a sneaking suspicion we are going to lose Nneka.

I still prefer not to speculate. Let's see if there is any official word forthcoming.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it WAS the only trade I would have made from the Sparks perspective. Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought trades were legal while the league is without a CBA. So even if the teams have come up with a deal they've agreed on, this could be in limbo for quite some time.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Well, it WAS the only trade I would have made from the Sparks perspective. Very Happy

Assuming this is truly an official go, yeah, Ace is at her very best in the PF slot, and Tina is so fundamentally sound at center. With Hollywood Liz and Brittney now in the Wild, Wild West we could use a talented center. Now if Ace can be convinced to focus more on defense, who knows what her ceiling might be?

Jantel will be a solid reserve at center. Even with Nneka winning ROY in 2012, they may have to surrender her along with their 2014 first rounder to seal the deal. If Penny could get away with surrendering someone of lesser talent I'm sure she'll take it, but it's hard to see anyone else besides Nneka leaving.

EDIT: On second thought, I suppose it's possible Jantel goes along with the 1st round choice and maybe another player or two.

Last edited by jap on 10/27/13 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka for Tina would be some kind of a steal. People on the Sun side, including Tina, would have had to have been out of their minds unhappy to do that deal straight up. From the Sparks end, I can't think of two players not including CP who wouldn't have been worth it to get Charles in LA to play with Parker and shore up that front line from fun to watch to downright imposing and capable of competing with Phoenix's length and talent.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed with Jammer. Just Nneka for Charles is highway robbery. That being said, Nneka would be a pretty darn good building block...and might there be an Ogwumike reunion in CT? Idea

jap

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Nneka for Tina would be some kind of a steal. People on the Sun side, including Tina, would have had to have been out of their minds unhappy to do that deal straight up. From the Sparks end, I can't think of two players not including CP who wouldn't have been worth it to get Charles in LA to play with Parker and shore up that front line from fun to watch to downright imposing and capable of competing with Phoenix's length and talent.

Possibly Nneka and Jantel? The 2012 ROY and the #6 overall 2011 selection for the 2012 MVP?

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Agreed with Jammer. Just Nneka for Charles is highway robbery. That being said, Nneka would be a pretty darn good building block...and might there be an Ogwumike reunion in CT? Idea

I wasn't thinking just Nneka. I included the 2014 1st rounder as well. There could be another player(s) to sweeten the deal. I was focusing more on the bigger names.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both teams could try to fix other personality issues and make it Charles+Lawson for Nneka+Toliver.

Although honestly, I don't see Charles straight up for Nneka as being quite as lopsided as some seem to. Based on the 2013 season, for example, I'd rather have Nneka.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka would be fair value. Although Charles gives L.A. more size (not necessarily defense), she's not as good as Nneka offensively.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/13 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

That's the part that probably would make the trade amenable to Nneka, assuming she loves playing with her sister. One thing though.... wouldn't they ideally play the same position at the WNBA level?

Now if the 44% odds don't work in CON's favor, what would it take from them to make it work? I'm assuming they have pieces like Jones and Lawson to work with.

I'd also like to point out that Charles and Monica Wright are from the same draft class, for those who think the restricted free agent label is meaningful.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/13 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

I wasn't thinking just Nneka. I included the 2014 1st rounder as well. There could be another player(s) to sweeten the deal. I was focusing more on the bigger names.

If I were CON, I'd go for the Sparks' 2015 first rounder instead of 2014. It's not exactly a minor trade, and what if the result is unexpected? Maybe the trade will upset the beautiful chemistry that the team has right now. Wink

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 10/26/13 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I'd also like to point out that Charles and Monica Wright are from the same draft class, for those who think the restricted free agent label is meaningful.

Except I don't recall myself or anyone else getting the vibe that Wright was unhappy with her teammates and management this season like Charles seemed to be with the Sun. Cool

Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/13 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Except I don't recall myself or anyone else getting the vibe that Wright was unhappy with her teammates and management this season like Charles seemed to be with the Sun. Cool

Seemed to be?

Just because Wright is quiet and professional doesn't necessarily mean she's fully content.

Look at Harding. What indication did she give that she was not content with ATL before she bailed on them? When I first said that Harding would be a great pickup for the Sparks, most people were like, oh no, Harding was way too happy in Atlanta. Absolutely no reason to leave Atlanta, even though I came up with about 6 of them.

Look at Pondexter. Most people thought PHX had a dynasty in the making before she wanted to go. Just goes to show that winning Championships isn't always the biggest consideration in these decisions.

Both Harding and Pondexter were starters for their old clubs and they were still not content with their situations that seemed to be good. How many times have you heard Lobo talk about Wright like a broken record in each game, "This is a player who could be a starter for most WNBA teams." You don't think Wright is hearing that from not only Lobo but from her agent, fiance, family, friends or hundreds of twitter followers? I would think eventually it would hit home to her to do something about it. I guess it all comes down to what her priorities are.

I'm not trying to push Wright out the door or think it's even likely that she's going. I'm just saying it's a possibility, so don't be blind to it.

Last edited by Shades on 10/26/13 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/26/13 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Look at Harding. What indication did she give that she was not content with ATL before she bailed on them? When I first said that Harding would be a great pickup for the Sparks, most people were like, oh no, Harding was way too happy in Atlanta. Absolutely no reason to leave Atlanta, even though I came up with about 6 of them.

Harding will most likely leave LA after next season. She's been two years and out at three different stops now.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are SO many possible reasons why any player might want to leave a particular city or team--or go to a particular city or team--that people don't know.

PostPosted: 10/26/13 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no inside info but I still don't see the thing with Wright wanting to leave, but I'll be the first to say you called it when it happens.

Charles was on a team that fired a beloved coach, went from first to last, put her team on blast in the media and pulled herself out at the end of the season.

Harding wanted to be an actress in LA.

Cappie wanted to do fashion in NY, and might have had some personality clashes and ego issues mixed in.

I just don't see any of that with Wright.

Now back to Charles, wow I'm kind of shocked this happened so fast, and if it is for Ogwumike and Conn ends up with the #1 pick it might seem a little fishy, I'm sure it would be good for the league and publicity to build around a sister act, but the order of events would make it suspicious.

Also while I prefer N. Ogwumike to Charles myself I think the Sun should still try to get another piece J. Lav or the draft pick would sound about right.

Also, also if NY gets #1 and Conn gets #2 (or #3 or 4 if Thomas is still available) I'd be up for Lawson and Conn's pick for our #1.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 10/26/13 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Just because Wright is quiet and professional doesn't necessarily mean she's fully content.

I'm not trying to push Wright out the door or think it's even likely that she's going.

I'm going to wave the bullcrap flag here. Every freaking post you make these days mentioning Wright talks in some way about trading her or her "maybe wanting to leave." We get it. You don't want her w/ the Lynx. You've never liked her as a player. Just be honest about it. Don't hide behind make believe "she's unhappy & going to force a trade" bullcrap.

As for Charles and this tweet. Sounds almost like she's sad.

I just hope the Sun got good value for any trade. It does the league no favors if one team gets a lot more than another in trades like this one.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/26/13 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The main thing with Wright [not sure how she got in this thread but anyway...] is if she and hubby-to-be want to live in one place, which would mean it would be more likely Tulsa than anywhere else.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 10/26/13 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The main thing with Wright [not sure how she got in this thread but anyway...] is if she and hubby-to-be want to live in one place, which would mean it would be more likely Tulsa than anywhere else.

How often is KD really in OK during the offseason? Because based on social media, he's elsewhere a lot.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/13 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The main thing with Wright [not sure how she got in this thread but anyway...]

Because Charles and Wright are from the same draft class.
J-Spoon made the statement in the Minnesota thread that Wright is a RFA, therefore she can't leave.

myrtle wrote:
if she and hubby-to-be want to live in one place, which would mean it would be more likely Tulsa than anywhere else.

I know. We haven't even touched on that part of it.

Wright has already has experienced two WNBA Championships. Have they been life-affirming? Does she need more? Maybe experiencing a Championship as a starter would feel differently?

Anyway, if you marry a multi-millionaire, can you say for certain the not so glamorous grind of the WNBA would still be appealing to you? I'd be very surprised if she didn't at least give up overseas basketball once she gets married.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 10/26/13 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
myrtle wrote:

How often is KD really in OK during the offseason? Because based on social media, he's elsewhere a lot.

And what if Durant decides to go to another team when he becomes a free agent himself in a few years? Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: