RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DNS: Are the Lynx a Budding Dynasty w/ Maya, Reeve
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/28/12 2:44 pm    ::: DNS: Are the Lynx a Budding Dynasty w/ Maya, Reeve Reply Reply with quote

A New Dishin & Swishin podcast is up!

Quote:
...the success of the Minnesota Lynx over the last season and the first forty percent of this season is all the more remarkable. The team has won 40 of 48 games, a ridiculous 83 percent. Owner Glen Taylor has put together a management team in Roger Griffith and Cheryl Reeve that understands the team concept and the importance of “we” over “I,” and they in turn have assembled a team that truly cares about each other and winning more than individual achievement.

So we're talking Minnesota Lynx, with guests Maya Moore, Cheryl Reeve, Stephen Litel and Debbie Antonelli.

Quote:

After listening to this week’s guests, maybe you will come to the same conclusion that I have — we may be watching history unfold this WNBA season.

http://wp.me/pwd9L-57U

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/12 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roger Griffith proves that sometimes patience with a GM pays off. Are you listening Mystic fans? Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/28/12 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm paraphrasing but what struck me is Maya said, if you play a team sport, and you are thinking about individual stats, you need to be playing an individual sport. Maya really impresses me with her intellect. She is one smart cookie.

PostPosted: 06/28/12 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still I think you gotta be careful about the 'dynasty' thing. Taj retires plus a major injury to one of the other starters and this team becomes much more beatable again. I hope they just enjoy every moment as it is without taking anything for granted.

markinct

PostPosted: 06/28/12 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Still I think you gotta be careful about the 'dynasty' thing. Taj retires plus a major injury to one of the other starters and this team becomes much more beatable again. I hope they just enjoy every moment as it is without taking anything for granted.

I agree with what you are saying Myrt....BUT, the bench is SOOO deep. Even the last player off the bench isn't a bad option in Erin Thorn. If you think back to the Comet's Dynasty....Van chancellor almost never played his bench and he had some good reserves, Valdemoro, Rizzotti, Wolters, Lobo and Coquese Washington...just to name a few....Granted the league is quite different now but in theory it is the same. If any of the starters go down, Monica Wright, Candice Wiggins, Deveroux Peters, Amber Harris,Erin Thorn and Jessica Adair have the potential to step up and play big minutes. Granted they are not on the same calibur as Maya Moore, but without a doubt THE BEST bench in the league. You are right though, enjoy your time at the top ladies, it could be gone shortly!

tfan

PostPosted: 06/28/12 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Roger Griffith proves that sometimes patience with a GM pays off. Are you listening Mystic fans? Smile

Roger Griffith also proves that owners are more patient with GMs who are married to their daughter. Wink

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/28/12 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Bite your tongue!

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/12 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Roger Griffith also proves that owners are more patient with GMs who are married to their daughter. Wink

Whatever excuse you want to use, it seems to have worked out for the best. I think there can be a lengthy learning curve for GM's

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/12 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dave, by any chance were any of your questions inspired by the one-sided debate going on in the ESPY thread? Smile

tfan

PostPosted: 06/28/12 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Whatever excuse you want to use, it seems to have worked out for the best. I think there can be a lengthy learning curve for GM's

Whatever accolades you want to divvy out, I think the Lynx are a good example of what Sheila Johnson said - it's just a crapshoot.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/12 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Whatever accolades you want to divvy out, I think the Lynx are a good example of what Sheila Johnson said - it's just a crapshoot.

No, he actually hasn't made a horrendous mistake since the beginning of 2008. Before then there were mistakes o' plenty.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/28/12 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

No, he actually hasn't made a horrendous mistake since the beginning of 2008. Before then there were mistakes o' plenty.

So there you have it WNBA owners, there is a rainbow on the other side of five years of mistakes o'plenty.

I trust that Roger Griffith got the same incessant mean-spirited criticism during that period that Trudy Lacy and Nolan Richardson have received here. I mean, it looks a little suspicous that Lacy and Richardson are both two of the few black GM/coaches in the league, but there surely have been quite a few white GMs or coaches in the WNBA over the years who have been attacked as mercilessly as Richardson and Lacy were/are in this forum.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/28/12 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

So there you have it WNBA owners, there is a rainbow on the other side of five years of mistakes o'plenty.

I trust that Roger Griffith got the same incessant mean-spirited criticism during that period that Trudy Lacy and Nolan Richardson have received here. I mean, it looks a little suspicous that Lacy and Richardson are both two of the few black GM/coaches in the league, but there surely have been quite a few white GMs or coaches in the WNBA over the years who have been attacked as mercilessly as Richardson and Lacy were/are in this forum.

Griffith got plenty of abuse, especially around the time of the Katie Smith trade.

PostPosted: 06/29/12 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Bad is bad. This is not a color.

With time, bad only gets worse. Shock stopped self-destructing the minute they canned Richardson, no matter what gender or race person he was replaced by.

Same with Mystics - self-destruction will cease with termination of Trudi. (By the way, I was just as critical of Linda Hargrove as I am of The Trudi). The pale skinned Hargrove was a horrendous GM and set the stage for the Mystics resurrection under Angela (AA)/Julie(cauc).

~rAf
dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/29/12 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Dave, by any chance were any of your questions inspired by the one-sided debate going on in the ESPY thread? Smile

Actually I haven't read that thread. Embarassed

Having watched UConn over the years, I have become accustomed to players that could go off for big numbers not doing so for the team. I see so much of that with the job Reeve is doing in Minnesota.

People forget what Seimone did when she was the sole option at the start of her career, for example, compared to her numbers now.

It's become a case of appreciating the talents of the Lynx players by watching them regularly, because you never know who is going to do what in a particular game.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/29/12 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Griffith got plenty of abuse, especially around the time of the Katie Smith trade.

Absolutely! He was POUNDED for that trade on this board in particular.

What I like is Griffith has always had some cojones. Not afraid to take risks. Trading Katie Smith was one that didn't work out.

Another example, Tina Charles was going to be a stud, everyone knew that, but they liked Whalen to be their franchise point guard (of course local girl helped), but it would have been safe to take Charles and keep her instead of pulling the trigger there.

The reward is finally coming in, and in a big Whay for the Lynx.

kojthiabkuv

PostPosted: 06/29/12 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MN fans love the fact that it was through pur native Whalen (& the other key players of course) a trophy was brought home. They did say its been 20yrs since a championship came! Tooo dang long. Good ups Griffth. What was lost, was redeemed & now we all can pray and hope for other teams to make the right choices!

dtsnms wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Absolutely! He was POUNDED for that trade on this board in particular.

What I like is Griffith has always had some cojones. Not afraid to take risks. Trading Katie Smith was one that didn't work out.

Another example, Tina Charles was going to be a stud, everyone knew that, but they liked Whalen to be their franchise point guard (of course local girl helped), but it would have been safe to take Charles and keeXp her instead of pulling the trigger there.

The reward is finally coming in, and in a big Whay for the Lynx.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/29/12 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Another example, Tina Charles was going to be a stud, everyone knew that

Actually, I remember Reeve playing down Charles.... thinking she may not start right away for the Sun.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/29/12 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, my memory is that everyone thought Charles was going to be really good - but not necessarily the double-double machine and immediate star she became. Then Gruda was late to arrive, Charles slid right in, and there was no moving her.

Obviously, it's a move that worked out well for both teams in the end. Although it'd be interesting to know what would've happened in a parallel universe where Minnesota kept Charles instead.

PostPosted: 06/29/12 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, my memory is that everyone thought Charles was going to be really good - but not necessarily the double-double machine and immediate star she became. Then Gruda was late to arrive, Charles slid right in, and there was no moving her.

Obviously, it's a move that worked out well for both teams in the end. Although it'd be interesting to know what would've happened in a parallel universe where Minnesota kept Charles instead.

That would be one weird parallel universe. Whalen was worth too much in attendance alone; that she was a quality point guard was lagniappe. Even if Charles could heal the sick and raise the dead, I think Griffith would have pulled the trigger on the deal.

PostPosted: 06/29/12 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

I take it you weren't on the boards during the Seth Sulka-era of PHO... Laughing

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 06/29/12 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Another example, Tina Charles was going to be a stud, everyone knew that

Actually, I remember Reeve playing down Charles.... thinking she may not start right away for the Sun.

I remember when Charles and Appel were juniors and their was a discussion on this board about how Appel was going to be the top draft choice and it seemed most people agreed. So what people think at one point isn't always what happens.

tfan

PostPosted: 06/29/12 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Bad is bad. This is not a color.

With time, bad only gets worse. Shock stopped self-destructing the minute they canned Richardson, no matter what gender or race person he was replaced by.

Same with Mystics - self-destruction will cease with termination of Trudi. (By the way, I was just as critical of Linda Hargrove as I am of The Trudi). The pale skinned Hargrove was a horrendous GM and set the stage for the Mystics resurrection under Angela (AA)/Julie(cauc).

The Minnesota Lynx and Roger Griffith show that it is too early for any such theory. The Lynx stayed the same or declined every year his first five years going from 18-16 in 2003 to 10-24 in 2007. Had you been a Lynx fan there would have been an incessant unrestrained outcry of personal attacks with "the implosion will not stop until the GM is gone" being stated with absolute certainly. But because he was a son-in-law he got to hang around long enough to get lucky multiple times in the lottery combined with a # dispersal pick and a free agent looking for another championship. If I remember right, the Lynx even had extra luck in that injuries hit them for a few years making their record even worse, upping their lottery chances. That could have happened with Nolan Richardson, Linda Hargrove, Seth Sulka, etc. had they been related by marriage.

Last edited by tfan on 06/29/12 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 06/29/12 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
The Lynx stayed the same or declined every year his first five years going from 18-16 in 2003 to 10-24 in 2007.

It should be noted that Minnesota was a playoff team in 2003 and 2004...

tfan

PostPosted: 06/29/12 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
tfan wrote:
The Lynx stayed the same or declined every year his first five years going from 18-16 in 2003 to 10-24 in 2007.

It should be noted that Minnesota was a playoff team in 2003 and 2004...

Thank you. A 2004 playoff team ended up in 2007 tied for the worst record in the league and their 10 wins were 4 fewer than the second year Chicago Sky. When was the implosion going to stop under The Roger??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: