RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spartak owner Shabtai Kalmanovich Assassinated???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 11/02/09 10:27 am    ::: Spartak owner Shabtai Kalmanovich Assassinated??? Reply Reply with quote

According to this he was killed today. The Russian police won't confirm or deny it. Shocked

I wonder what this means for spartak? And THANK GOD the players weren't around when this happened!

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Flenta.ru%2Fnews%2F2009%2F11%2F02%2Fkalmanovich%2F&sl=ru&tl=en&history_state0=

Linzin

PostPosted: 11/02/09 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

....WHAT. THE. FUCK?

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 11/02/09 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WHAT? WHAT WHAT WHAT?

Holy shit.

Bad Translation wrote:
The investigation is considering the possibility that Kalmanovich killed in connection with his activities as president of basketball club.

WHAT?

PostPosted: 11/02/09 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfanswhine wrote:
WHAT? WHAT WHAT WHAT?

Holy shit.

Bad Translation wrote:
The investigation is considering the possibility that Kalmanovich killed in connection with his activities as president of basketball club.

WHAT?

Probably a bad translation. Dude was an arms dealer afterall.
But I do know based on what I have been reading over the last several months he was racking up enemies all over the Russian basketball community. I haven't read a positive thing about him since before Eurobasket.

Russian fans are freaking out...saying it's the end and all the foriegn players will be leaving.

sports.ru confirmed the death
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=sports.ru&sl=ru&tl=en&history_state0=

shrrew

PostPosted: 11/02/09 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad This is terrible and sad if it is true.

PostPosted: 11/02/09 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shrrew wrote:
Crying or Very sad This is terrible and sad if it is true.

It's true, they are saying it was contract killing and he died at the scene and more reports are surfacing saying it may be related to his basketball activites Shocked

Quote:
In Moscow shot Shabtai Kalmanovich
Russia's well-known businessman, philanthropist, producer, president of the women's basketball club "Spartak" (Prominent), killed in the center of Moscow, opposite the council Khamovniki. The criminals fired several bursts from his "Mercedes"

Moscow. November 2. INTERFAX.RU - In the center of Moscow on Monday night was shot by well-known businessman and philanthropist Shabtai von Kalmanovich.

According to "Interfax" a source in law enforcement, the incident occurred at 16:40 at the Novodevichy passage. At the intersection near the house number 10, unknown perpetrators fired several rounds from automatic weapons on a passenger car "Mercedes", then fled in a car "Lada-Priora" dark side of Big Pirogov street. The shelling killed one person, the second in critical condition and was hospitalized.

As it turned out, a victim of the attack was well-known businessman in Russia and philanthropist Shabtai von Kalmanovich. Wounds businessman died on the spot. His driver Peter Tumanov with serious injuries and was hospitalized. As the interlocutor "Interfax" in law enforcement, "the murder was committed daringly, in front of the building, where okmotu Hamovniki.

In the capital management UPC RF confirmed that the shot in the center of Moscow on Monday, a man - Shabtai von Kalmanovich. "Really have identified the victim - it Shabtai Kalmanovich, 1949 pp.," - Told Interfax "the head of the Investigative Division of the UPC Russia Moscow Anatoly Bagmet. "At the present time are carried out urgent investigative and operational actions to search for offenders and the circumstances of the accident", - said the agency interlocutor.

In the basic version is considered as a contract killing. "Currently, we are considering a number of working versions, including murder related to the activities of the deceased at the helm of the basketball club," - said the head of the Investigation Department. According to him, criminals, according to preliminary data, it was not less than two. Exemptions at least 20 shell casings, bullet holes from the bullets on the car in which the victims were, showed that it was a 9 mm caliber ammunition, "- added Bagmet. In connection with the murder of Investigation department has instituted criminal proceedings on three articles of the Criminal Code - murder, attempted murder and illegal possession of firearms.

Kalmanovich was General Director of Open Joint Stock Company "Tishinka. Born in the Lithuanian SSR in 1949. In 1971, together with his parents emigrated to Israel, graduated from the University of Jerusalem, was engaged in trading business and construction. According to the newspaper "Sport-Express", in Israel Kalmanovich worked for Soviet intelligence, but was unmasked. For intelligence activities conducted in an Israeli prison for six years, of which the first 14 months - in solitary confinement. After returning to Russia in 1993-94., Together with Joseph Kobzon organized in Russia for several firms. He was engaged in the reconstruction Tishinsky market in Moscow and the creation on its base of modern shopping complex.

In addition, Kalmanovich known as a philanthropist and a successful producer. He was the organizer of the tour in Russia, Michael Jackson, Tom Jones, Liza Minnelli, Jose Carreras. Is a sponsor of several basketball clubs. In recent years served as president of women's basketball club "Spartak" (visible), which is one of the strongest clubs in Europe. He also was general manager of Russia women's national basketball team, which this summer won silver in the European Championship. B 2007 and 2008. was recognized as the best manager of women's basketball team in Europe.

Kalamanovich was married to Anna Arkhipova, champion of Europe and the former point guard team Russia.
/ Interfax

http://www.interfax.ru/society/txt.asp?id=108239

toxichazard

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...Shabs. SHABS IS DEAD?

Seriously. Okay, what? Contract killing? Related to BASKETBALL of all things?

Dude, that is crazy.

shrrew

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think our basketball players should come home. Now.

What is keeping them safe?

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy crap!

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has got to be devastating to the players that loved him, and I know dee and Sue and LJ did, for all his faults, really love that guy.
So sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Wow OMG I am worried about our players, they should come home and take the season off or go to another team. This shit is bananas.

rzymi

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope all players from Spartak are safe...

scullyfu

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't think the bb'ers are in danger. it was a contract killing. a hit on a specific person, obviously by professionals. it was only him they were interested in killing. who really knows if it was over a bb incident. from all reports the guy was involved in some high risk activities. given that it was a professional hit, i highly doubt that whatever group did this would want to have the wrath of the u.s. gov't. come down on them for killing americans.

lj and sue have not yet reported; but dee has. will be interested to hear what she has to say about the matter.

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where Dee did report it?

vallee

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A quick Google news check indicates he was involved in espionage in the past:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3799226,00.html

That could contribute to a shortened life expectancy.

rzymi

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3799226,00.html

vallee

PostPosted: 11/02/09 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And here's a link to an ESPN article about the Spartak lifestyle:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=rollinginrubles

sbcatcher45

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Jmacs twitter: the world is one fucked up place, i cannot believe how low people will sink. the world lost someone great today.. it still hasnt sunk in!!!

My heart goes out to the players. Alot of them genuinly seemed to love him as a person, maybe not his business activities.

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vallee wrote:
And here's a link to an ESPN article about the Spartak lifestyle:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=rollinginrubles

wow, that article really is strange to read today.

Quote:
Or as Taurasi puts it, "Russia — the longer you're here, the less sense it makes."

Quote:

"What is the difference between Barbra Streisand, Madonna and Diana Taurasi?" von Kalmanovic asked between nibbles from a spread of black caviar and blini before a Spartak game. "Madonna, Taurasi — it doesn't make any difference that one is attracting people by singing and the other is attracting people by scoring. Why should Madonna have cars, drivers, security and not our players?"

Last edited by caune on 11/02/09 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
rzymi

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbcatcher45 wrote:
My heart goes out to the players. Alot of them genuinly seemed to love him as a person, maybe not his business activities.

As a person... of course... here is an article from last year about Kalmanovic and Spartak:

Kalmanovic & Spartak

part of it:

Quote:

And then there are Kalmanovic's women. More precisely, there are his female basketball players, the three gemstones of which reside on the southern edge of Moscow, in a gated villa replete with sauna, indoor pool and on-call cook, and are showcased on his Spartak Moscow Region Vidnoe team, the defending Russian and Euroleague champions. A discerning collector would be sure to acquire only the finest specimens, and so Kalmanovic has. This season Spartak features seven Olympic medalists, including the players he regards as the world's best at their positions: guards Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi and center Lauren Jackson.

These three wintering WNBA stars call their mullet-haired benefactor Papa, and he in turn calls Bird "my Jewish daughter," Taurasi "my Italian daughter" and Jackson "my Australian daughter." Free of WNBA payroll restrictions, Shabtai's Angels earn up to 10 times more during a Russian season—around $500,000 for Taurasi, for example—than during a U.S. summer. After big Euroleague wins, Spartak players collect cash bonuses of $5,000 and diamond jewelry. On trips to play club teams in provincial cities in France and Italy they make Kalmanovic-arranged shopping stopovers in Paris and Venice. "We don't do it backpack-style," Jackson says. "We do it seven-star-hotel-, chauffeur-style."

A year ago, after Taurasi idly mentioned that she had always wanted to play the piano, one materialized in the living room of Casa Papa. When Kalmanovic discovered that Jackson had never seen her favorite performer, Marilyn Manson, from beyond a mosh pit, he treated her to VIP concert seats from which she sipped champagne. Last fall, when USA Basketball auctioned the uniforms of its Beijing Olympians, Kalmanovic bought Taurasi's and Bird's so that he could give them to the women he regards as their rightful owners. "Don't ever sneeze around him," says Bird. "He'll pull out five different medications. The way he treats us, it really makes you want to play hard."

(...)
although Spartak expects stout challenges from CSKA Moscow, whose natural-gas-mogul owner spends lavishly on such WNBA stalwarts as Becky Hammon and Katie Douglas, and Yekaterinburg, Kalmanovic's old team, which is now under the stewardship of two copper barons who, according to a Russian basketball source, will pay Candace Parker, last summer's WNBA MVP as a rookie, $1.2 million for four months beginning in January.

RIP Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

here is http://www.rferl.org/content/Prominent_Businessman_Shot_Dead_In_Moscow/1867585.html link from Janel's Twitter

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moscow Police investigate the link between the murder and Spartak Moscow. Wonder if it's money laundering link.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3799245,00.html

ucdt3

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's terrible. My prayers got out to all involved. The end of a Russian Basketball Era.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's awful really.

I hope the women come home quickly.

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Janell's latest tweet: "was in that same seat about a week ago... what if... i mean.... ?"

I don't even want to think about it:( I know it was a contract hit, but it seems like the killer(s) just sprayed his car. What if indeed.

Coffy

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 11/02/09 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't see the players coming home. That is there livelihood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: