RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Barbie gets tatted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/21/11 10:24 am    ::: Barbie gets tatted Reply Reply with quote

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/20/new-york-city-parents-find-nothing-stylish-about-new-tattooed-barbie-doll/

Quote:
Meet “Tokidoki Barbie,” the newest addition to the iconic doll collection.

PostPosted: 10/21/11 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool!

PostPosted: 10/21/11 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She’s edgy — with pink hair, sky-high stilettos and a cactus-covered pet named “Bastardino.”

Whattt!? Edgy, huh? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/21/11 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear some people are upset about this. I must say I thought it was a lot of fun, particularly with the hair and the cactus-dog.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 10/21/11 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I hear some people are upset about this. I must say I thought it was a lot of fun, particularly with the hair and the cactus-dog.

That's because most people are wound too tight. Your child would have to be of a certain age in order for this to encourage and then therefore cause them to go get a tattoo. And, if they're old enough to go and get a tattoo on their own, then I'd be more concerned that they were still playing with and being influenced by damn Barbie dolls at 16+ years of age.

PostPosted: 10/21/11 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
That's because most people are wound too tight. Your child would have to be of a certain age in order for this to encourage and then therefore cause them to go get a tattoo. And, if they're old enough to go and get a tattoo on their own, then I'd be more concerned that they were still playing with and being influenced by damn Barbie dolls at 16+ years of age.

Personally, I bet this doll is bought by collectors, not kids. It's a limited edition, and probably costs meaningfully more than a regular Barbie.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 10/21/11 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parents were upset a couple of years ago when Mattel produced Butterfly Art Barbie. They were pulled off the shelves a few months later. I thought to get one before they disappeared. This doll could vanish in the same way or kids will finally tell parents this doll isnt that big of a deal.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/21/11 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
Parents were upset a couple of years ago when Mattel produced Butterfly Art Barbie. They were pulled off the shelves a few months later. I thought to get one before they disappeared. This doll could vanish in the same way or kids will finally tell parents this doll isnt that big of a deal.

I loved Barbie as a kid.

But of all the things to be upset about Barbie with, tattoos is what gets parents up in arms.

They didn't seem to mind when Barbie said "Math is hard"

PostPosted: 10/21/11 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Actually they did. The doll was pulled off the shelves in short order.

PostPosted: 10/21/11 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Actually they did. The doll was pulled off the shelves in short order.

They were pulled off the shelves because women's activists decided to play a joke on manufacturers and switch the voices for Barbie and GI Joe. People got up in arms when GI Joe said "math is hard." And the point was made..

But even that isn't a complete reason to be "up and arms" about Barbie.

PostPosted: 01/28/16 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barbie's got a new body

http://time.com/barbie-new-body-cover-story/

Quote:
Barbie’s got a new body. Three new bodies, actually: petite, tall and curvy, in Mattel’s exhaustively debated lexicon, and beginning Jan. 28 they will be sold alongside the original busty, thin-waisted form on Barbie.com.

PostPosted: 01/28/16 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting to watch what Mattel is doing with the Barbie brand. The new inclusive commercial that went viral, and now the introduction of other body types.

While there are things that concern me about Barbie, there are good things about her prevalence and iconic presence in the marketplace as well.

PostPosted: 01/28/16 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
It's interesting to watch what Mattel is doing with the Barbie brand. The new inclusive commercial that went viral, and now the introduction of other body types.

While there are things that concern me about Barbie, there are good things about her prevalence and iconic presence in the marketplace as well.

This new Barbie is awesome.

PostPosted: 01/31/16 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight

PostPosted: 11/14/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barbie's first hijab: Meet the new Ibtihaj Muhammad doll

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/13/news/barbie-hijab-ibtihaj-muhammad/index.html

Quote:
The Shero line, which launched in 2015, includes dolls based on prominent women such as Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas, model Ashley Graham, ballerina Misty Copeland, director Ava DuVernay and actress Zendaya.
In 2016, Barbie rolled out tall, petite and curvy versions of the dolls.

PostPosted: 11/14/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Barbie's first hijab: Meet the new Ibtihaj Muhammad doll

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/13/news/barbie-hijab-ibtihaj-muhammad/index.html

Quote:
The Shero line, which launched in 2015, includes dolls based on prominent women such as Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas, model Ashley Graham, ballerina Misty Copeland, director Ava DuVernay and actress Zendaya.
In 2016, Barbie rolled out tall, petite and curvy versions of the dolls.

I was wondering why this thread was dug out of mothballs. This Barbie is a nice addition to the Shero line. And yes, I still have the butterfly art Barbie (Christie, actually). In fact, she's right in front of me. (WNBA Christie is to my immediate left.)

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
tfan

PostPosted: 11/14/17 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will never buy a tattooed Barbie. I am not a fan of tattoos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: