RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Texas at Kansas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeFi

PostPosted: 01/04/06 11:56 am    ::: Re: Go KU and Pitt! Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

Has Voepel written about KU this year? How do other K-State fans handle KU's relative success?

Voepel does cover KU, though that coverage declined a bit during the Down Years (99-04) at KU which also coincided with KSU dominating. Mechelle covered KSU quite a bit during that time and she does touch on Missouri here and there (e.g., today's Kansas City star has 3 articles by Voep -- one each on KU, KSU and Missouri).

Can't speak for the KSU fans, but we're talking about the same folks who used to come into Allen Fieldhouse 10,000 strong. During the Down Years, there were about four of us in blue, the remaining 10K in purple. Not going to happen this year. However, going a bit further back in history, Kansas had a solid run during the early-mid 90s (winning the final Big 8 championship and the inaugural Big 12 champ) which I'm sure K-State fans recall since they were beaten by KU quite a bit back then. Tides turn here in the Wheat State so we shall see how the rivalry pans out this year.

The weak non-con schedule and the home games (two of which were originally scheduled in NO) are legitimate criticisms. In this article http://www.kusports.com/news/w_bball/story/116738, Bonnie addresses the issue and I agree with her. This was a program that was way down, not only talent-wise, but also fan-support wise. I was only exaggerating a bit when I said there were 4 KU fans in the stands during much of Coach Washington's tenure -- even when it was doing well.

Bonnie (and Lew) are essentially trying to rebuild a program from the bottom up and until you start logging some wins and momentum, the fans aren't going to be there and the recruiting isn't going to be there and the player confidence isn't going to be there. So yeah, KU played a soft schedule and played at home, we'll see how they do on the road and against the rest of the Big 12. If last night was any indication, however, that momentum is serving them well.

(And hey DTMNS, good ol' Lew was sitting in UCONN's fan section during the NCAA regionals here in Kansas City when UCONN played (and lost to Standford). So while we have him here, I think a little bit of his heart is still with that program)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: