RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/02/06 3:31 pm    ::: AP Poll Reply Reply with quote

1. Tennessee
2. Duke
3. LSU
4. Baylor
5. North Carolina
6. Maryland
7. UConn
8. Rutgers
9. Arizona State
10. Ohio State
11. Michigan State
12. Notre Dame
13. Depaul
14. Purdue
15. Minnesota
16. Stanford
17. Georgia
18. Oklahoma
19. Boston College
20. Vanderbilt
21. New Mexico
22. Utah
23. Texas
24. Temple
25. Virginia Tech (edited)

Somehow, even though they have the same number of losses and the Boilers have beaten both teams, Purdue is ranked behind Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Somehow, even though they have the same number of losses, Arizona State is ranked behind UConn even though they have beaten more ranked teams and played MUCH better against the teams' common opponent.

Somehow Stanford remains No. 16 with FOUR losses and no quality wins. While the team that just beat them and has a better record isn't ranked.

Somehow Texas remains No. 23 with FOUR losses and no quality wins.

Aren't rankings supposed to make more sense as the season goes on?

Last edited by PUmatty on 01/03/06 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/02/06 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn beat now #18 Oklahoma and #19 Boston College pretty handily. Out of curiosity, who has Arizona St. beat? I know they both lost to UNC. I would love for UConn to play Az St. this year again.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/02/06 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Oklahoma is in an intriguing position at this point. Wins over Oklahoma can be seen as the Sooners trying to find themselves, players trying to adjust their game to fit around Paris's, and other things along those lines. Any win they have can be construed as a building block.

The truth of these lies somewhere in the middle, and ranking Oklahoma may only get more confusing as we go.

That said, UConn is going to get limited credit for beating Oklahoma because of the adjustment issues; okay, fair enough maybe, but had Oklahoma beaten UConn, we would have been declaring a new kid on the Top Ten block.

Oklahoma will probably continue to improve, and will probably have great success in the enigmatic Big Twelve. UConn will likely need to beat the Lady Vols (unless there are some other upsets) to have any chance of being ranked higher than 8 or so.

As long as none has a "bad loss" (meaning outside of the top 6 or so) I don't see Maryland, Duke, UNC, Tenn, LSU, or Baylor dropping out of the top 10.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why is Stanford still that high they lost 4 games the other teams behind them get to respect they are the most overrated team in the top 25

Last edited by mikey87 on 01/02/06 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/02/06 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
UConn beat now #18 Oklahoma and #19 Boston College pretty handily. Out of curiosity, who has Arizona St. beat? I know they both lost to UNC. I would love for UConn to play Az St. this year again.

Arizona State has wins over ranked New Mexico and Vanderbilt.

Taciturnus

PostPosted: 01/02/06 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How good is Oklahoma, really? I'm sure we won't know for a while, but we'll get some answers after their visit to Iowa State on Wednesday.

They were manhandled by UConn and MSU, and both of these teams have had embarrassing losses against the nation's best this year. I'm betting that OU is at least a year away from having a legit Top Ten team.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/02/06 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Whom are both ranked behind Oklahoma and BC, two teams UConn defeated pretty handily. I doubt the point differential in the UNC game factors in the voter's decision that much. If it does, then how much did AZ St. beat Vandy and New Mexico by?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/02/06 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should be Virginia Tech, not Virginia.

After today's NC State/VT game, however, I'm inclined to agree with what you posted.

Mathies to LA 2013
giraffespots

PostPosted: 01/03/06 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taciturnus wrote:
How good is Oklahoma, really? I'm sure we won't know for a while, but we'll get some answers after their visit to Iowa State on Wednesday.

They were manhandled by UConn and MSU, and both of these teams have had embarrassing losses against the nation's best this year. I'm betting that OU is at least a year away from having a legit Top Ten team.

When Oklahoma is on, they're amazing, when they're not, they are mediocre. Hopefully, they will gell by the tournament in March. And its only gonna get better. I agree that OU is a year away from having a top 10 team, right now, we are too inconsistent. But I do think they are underranked this week at 18.

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Quote:

Whom are both ranked behind Oklahoma and BC, two teams UConn defeated pretty handily. I doubt the point differential in the UNC game factors in the voter's decision that much. If it does, then how much did AZ St. beat Vandy and New Mexico by?

I keep forgetting UConn has played Boston College.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/03/06 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona State playing close to UNC at a neutral site is more impressive that UConn getting blown off of their home court by UNC. Neither team has a good road win.

PostPosted: 01/03/06 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has a loss coming up this weekend in Knoxville.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: