RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McNamara (Syracuse) or Redick (Duke)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/13/05 12:54 am    ::: McNamara (Syracuse) or Redick (Duke)? Reply Reply with quote

Which sharp-shooter has a better chance of making it to/in the NBA? Question

Mathies to LA 2013
bullsky

PostPosted: 11/13/05 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JJ's game reminds me of Kirk Hinrich and he's done well with his time in the NBA. Im not sure, I think they both could easily make it but I think JJ has the best chance.

PostPosted: 11/13/05 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting how you bring up the JJ/Kirk comparison because I think just the opposite: Gerry McNamara (G-Mac) reminds me more of Hinrich than Redick does. Both McNamara and Hinrich set up their teammates well and both were/are very athletic college point guards with incredible shooting range. JJ isn't a point guard and would seem to struggle if he had to play the position full-time. He's more of the "hired gun" type (ala Steve Kerr). I can't see him having a real impact in the NBA as a starter, as he is better suited for an off-the-bench situational role.

I will say this, however. If Cuttino Mobley doesn't keep his attitude in check, JJ will be a Clipper next season.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/13/05 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hinrich was a better ballhandler in college than JJ, IIRC.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/13/05 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Hinrich also jumps a LOT higher than Redick, but that's an observation better left for another day. Wink

Hinrich played the point in college (now plays the off-guard in Chicago). Redick has never been a great ballhandler (and won't ever be one for that matter), but he is getting a little better at ballhandling.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/13/05 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love JJ, but he may be closer to Trajan Langdon than Kirk Hinrich.

bullsky

PostPosted: 11/13/05 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Hinrich also jumps a LOT higher than Redick, but that's an observation better left for another day. Wink

Hinrich played the point in college (now plays the off-guard in Chicago). Redick has never been a great ballhandler (and won't ever be one for that matter), but he is getting a little better at ballhandling.

Yeah, I think Both Redick and Hinrich work well off the ball and have smooth jumpers. Also, both work well in penetrating to the basket. I definetly dont think Redick will play the point in NBA. I compared Redick and Hinrich offenses' not their whole games.

PostPosted: 11/13/05 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

That doesn't bode well for JJ's future aspirations. Shocked

Mathies to LA 2013
PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 12/19/05 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

as I mentioned in a diff thread...wouldn't you agree Cam that Redick has added a LOT to his game this season? I think he went out over the summer, busted his ass, and is now quite attractive to NBA teams. I see it this way.....McNamara takes too many shots that he doesn't have a prayer of making. Redick passes up too many shots that he can easily make. No denying though...both are really fantastic shooters but If I'm an NBA GM....I take Redick 6 days out of the week and twice on Sunday if the choice is between those 2 players. (unless I am in dire straits at the PG position.)

Don't pet the sweaty stuff
bullsky

PostPosted: 12/22/05 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was discussion on the Illini Board about this very topic on whether JJ Redick can make it in the NBA. Someone said scouts have been turned off of him because of his off-court problems. And no, im not talking about his poetry... Razz

PostPosted: 12/22/05 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Illini Board and off court problems. Now that is funny...no spite or false information there based upon jealousy (Shaun Livingston, Jon Scheyer, etc.).

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/23/05 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Illini Board and off court problems. Now that is funny...no spite or false information there based upon jealousy (Shaun Livingston, Jon Scheyer, etc.).

What are you implying? that those players had off-court problems?

Per ESPN Insider:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Negatives: He's undersized to play the two in the NBA. Combine that with a lack of athleticism, and scouts aren't sure exactly how his game will translate at the next level. Even though Redick seems to have diversified his game greatly this season, scouts seriously wonder if he'll be able to get to the rim and create his own shot off the dribble at the next level. Has had a few off-the-court issues that also don't help his stock.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The off-court problems speaking of have been a rumored alcohol and pot problem. Sadly, I would say most NBA players have had many of those...

PostPosted: 12/23/05 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I was implying that most Illini fans don't like the continued loss of Illinois HS players to Duke.

JJ had a pot incident after his freshman year. He got caught and has remained clean since.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/23/05 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I'd say Illini fans kind of get over it after a while. I think we have the toughest time because every year there are so many great players from Illinois, and we cant have them all. So considering the circumstances I think a lot of us get over it. There are still a few bitter people but very few.

PostPosted: 12/27/05 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMFAO @ "off the court issues".

If the NBA was concerned about anyone's off the court habits and conduct, there probably wouldn't be a draft.

Hmmm.....Scott Skiles was a GREAT shooter in college and so is Reddick. Both had minor run-ins with pot possession. Maybe there is a direct relationship between smoking pot and having the ability to shoot the lights out. Shocked

Don't pet the sweaty stuff
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/05 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:

Hmmm.....Scott Skiles was a GREAT shooter in college and so is Reddick. Both had minor run-ins with pot possession. Maybe there is a direct relationship between smoking pot and having the ability to shoot the lights out. Shocked

I was wondering what Zolman kept in that green wristband!

PostPosted: 01/03/06 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, I think JJ is underrated, real underrated. I agree with everyone's opinions here, in that he's not athletic and doesn't have ball handles but not only is he a great shooter but he moves real well without the ball. He's no Rip Hamilton but he can create shots for not only him but for others with his moving without the ball. It always confuses the defense and puts his defender and help defenders in a bad position because they have to leave their man while J.J.'s man is still going after him. Plus, as mentioned, J.J.'s worked his butt off and has added so much to his game. His height may make him struggle alittle but I think his approach to the game and his hard work will allow him to do well. He won't be what he is at Duke in the NBA, but I think his intangibles give him a big boost. Ofcourse those intangibles come from playing for Duke.

rep_ur_city

PostPosted: 01/03/06 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
You know, I think JJ is underrated, real underrated. I agree with everyone's opinions here, in that he's not athletic and doesn't have ball handles but not only is he a great shooter but he moves real well without the ball. He's no Rip Hamilton but he can create shots for not only him but for others with his moving without the ball. It always confuses the defense and puts his defender and help defenders in a bad position because they have to leave their man while J.J.'s man is still going after him. Plus, as mentioned, J.J.'s worked his butt off and has added so much to his game. His height may make him struggle alittle but I think his approach to the game and his hard work will allow him to do well. He won't be what he is at Duke in the NBA, but I think his intangibles give him a big boost. Ofcourse those intangibles come from playing for Duke.

^^Sorry. That was me who posted that. And I was wondering why I didn't have to type in my username and password to post..... Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: