RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Phenom? Well-deserved hype for Hill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 01/02/06 8:46 am    ::: Minnesota Phenom? Well-deserved hype for Hill Reply Reply with quote

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/high_school/13525930.htm

Well-deserved hype for Hill
Minneapolis South's freshman basketball standout, whom one opposing coach called 'the best high school player I've ever seen in the state,' already is drawing major attention.
BY RAY RICHARDSON
Pioneer Press

Minneapolis South girls basketball coach Ahmil Jihad was standing at attention with his team for the national anthem when he felt a tap on his shoulder.

An adult had tiptoed down to the court to ask Jihad which one of his players is Tayler Hill.

"So many more people are coming to watch Tayler," Jihad said.

At another Minneapolis South game this season, University of Minnesota women's basketball coach Pam Borton, who needs no help in identifying Hill, sat in the front row to watch the freshman phenom — perhaps making sure Hill knew she was there.

It is not too early to make an impression on Hill. The 5-foot-7 guard likely will be one of the state's top attractions in high school basketball over the next 3½ years. Between classes at South, young boys also are trying to make an impression, showing more courtesy than usual by offering to carry Hill's books.

The hype surrounding Hill started last year when she led South to a 21-6 record and first state-tournament appearance as eighth-grader at Anne Sullivan Elementary School in south Minneapolis. Now that Hill is walking the halls at South, there has been no dropoff in attention or her performance.

<SNIP>

In addition to the Gophers, Tennessee, Duke, Michigan State, Rutgers, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa and Wisconsin are among the growing number of major NCAA Division I programs expressing interest in Hill — and Hill does not graduate until 2009. Many college coaches have attended a South game or practice this season. Parents believe the attention on Hill could have a residual effect on their daughters.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/high_school/13525930.htm

Minnesota Phenom?

PostPosted: 01/02/06 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do think the gophers chances are on getting Hill? I mean I would hope she would want to play for the gophers but you never Know I guess.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
vanyogan

PostPosted: 01/02/06 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
What do think the gophers chances are on getting Hill? I mean I would hope she would want to play for the gophers but you never Know I guess.

I think Hill(top recruits) wants to play, so it will depend on the starting situation as well as how competive they are as a team. So looking ahead, It seems like the Gophers will likely be looking at and needing guards then or they will have filled those spots the year before.

At some point Borton needs to find some players that step out and start as freshman and sophmores. I'm hoping next year is the year, maybe Campbell will start. Next year the Gophers will have solid post play, they need guards and one dominant center, Foxx and Roysland will start I think, maybe Campbell, the post is wide open. Will Borton sign another guard this recruiting year? If not they will have another 4 - 5 spots to sign next year, three guards, two posts? Will Borton take some chances and not back up every position three fold? Right now she is playing it extremely safe or it least it looks that way, she has a long term contract.

Campbell was a huge get for Borton if she works out. I'm sure the fact that position will be competed for next year had a lot to do with Campbell signing with Minny.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
think Hill(top recruits) wants to play, so it will depend on the starting situation as well as how competive they are as a team.

Well then it's a good thing Borton has 3 years to work her charm. If she can use it on ohm then maybe it will work on hill.

Quote:
So looking ahead, It seems like the Gophers will likely be looking at and needing guards then or they will have filled those spots the year before.

Speaking of guards and I don’t know if Kelly M is or is a full guard but I wonder how things paned out for her, I know she gave a verbal agreement but she didn’t sign because of family problems so even if or when she is ready to play she would be consider a walk on right?

Quote:
At some point Borton needs to find some players that step out and start as freshman and sophomores. I'm hoping next year is the year, maybe Campbell will start. Next year the Gophers will have solid post play, they need guards and one dominant center, Fox and Roysland will start I think, maybe Campbell, the post is wide open.

I agree and getting down to where she going to have to start starting her freshman and sophomores.

Want your bad romance

vanyogan

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:
think Hill(top recruits) wants to play, so it will depend on the starting situation as well as how competive they are as a team.

Well then it's a good thing Borton has 3 years to work her charm. If she can use it on ohm then maybe it will work on hill.

Quote:
So looking ahead, It seems like the Gophers will likely be looking at and needing guards then or they will have filled those spots the year before.

Speaking of guards and I don’t know if Kelly M is or is a full guard but I wonder how things paned out for her, I know she gave a verbal agreement but she didn’t sign because of family problems so even if or when she is ready to play she would be consider a walk on right?

Quote:
At some point Borton needs to find some players that step out and start as freshman and sophomores. I'm hoping next year is the year, maybe Campbell will start. Next year the Gophers will have solid post play, they need guards and one dominant center, Fox and Roysland will start I think, maybe Campbell, the post is wide open.

I agree and getting down to where she going to have to start starting her freshman and sophomores.

I don't think Kelly M is considerd a walk on. She can choose to sign by the next deadline in the Spring I think. I don't think youare a true walk on unless you make the squad without a scholarship. As far as I know, you can give any player you want a scholarship once they make the team, subject to some limit on the number of scholarships you can give, I assume. Calhoun and Alsdurf are both true walkons and the Big_10 rules prohibit them getting scholarships because they transfered within the conference. I think Garry is on scholarship as a beneficiary of Calhoun and Alsdurf. She is a true walkon.

Also, with Liz as a track star, it may be possible for her to transfer to a track scholarship next year, she could red shirt hoops a year, etc. But judging by who gets priority on her time, I imagine she is on a hoops scholarship.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
. Calhoun and Alsdurf are both true walkons and the Big_10 rules prohibit them getting scholarships because they transfered within the conference. I think Garry is on scholarship as a beneficiary of Calhoun and Alsdurf. She is a true walkon.

Alsdurf transferred from Marquette, so she is on scholarship.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
. Calhoun and Alsdurf are both true walkons and the Big_10 rules prohibit them getting scholarships because they transfered within the conference. I think Garry is on scholarship as a beneficiary of Calhoun and Alsdurf. She is a true walkon.

Alsdurf transferred from Marquette, so she is on scholarship.

Thanks, I didn't know if she was eligible for scholarship or not.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a spring recruiting period in which the Gophs can extend a scholarship for next year.

Alsdurf, who transferred from Marquette (not a Big Ten school) has a scholarship. Calhoun, who transferred from Iowa, does not. I don't think of either one as a "walk-on," since Calhoun knew she'd have a place on the team before she decided to transfer to Minnesota-- she didn't just "walk on" to the court to try out. Garry did, and she now has a scholarship (though of course she doesn't play very much-- she got her chance to make the team at a time when the Gophers had fewer scholarships to give than other Big Ten schools, because of penalties for Littlejohn's rules violations).

I have trouble even imagining what it must be like to live with this kind of attention every day at age 14. The pressure to stay in Minnesota must be intense. I hope it doesn't backfire, on her or on the Gophers, and I hope wherever she goes, it's the best place for her. (And yes, if she's as good as advertised, I also want her to stay here.)

gopherfan

PostPosted: 01/02/06 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, I wasn’t quite sure about Kelly M eligibility since she missed her dead line.

Want your bad romance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: