RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gauchos Win!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 03/12/05 6:30 pm    ::: Gauchos Win! Reply Reply with quote

After being down by 11 with about 11 minutes to go, UCSB goes on an 18-0 run and hangs on for a 74-66 win Smile

12-14 seed here we come!

I don't know about our chances of actually winning a game though... This game was all about Kristen Mann and Mia Fisher vs. Faurholt and Mitchell... Fun game to watch

Bogus intentional fall call in UCSBs favor with UCSB up 5, with the ball with about 15 seconds left, but wouldn't have made a difference as Mann hit both free throws (which would have been two free throws anyway) to make it a 7 point lead... with no timeouts left on either side it would have been pretty much impossible to score 7 in 15 seconds.

Anyway, bummer call to mar the end of the game even if it was in our favor and wouldn't have mattered.

Idaho played a tough game.

Random stats (from TV, haven't seen a box yet): Idaho was 9-15 from the arc late in the and UCSB did not hit a 3 in the game. I think Idaho probably ended up 9-16 from out there - mostly because UCSB collapsed on mitchell and left everyone else open, but guess that way the strategy.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/12/05 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Gauchos and their awesome fans.

Hey GD, ya have a link to the Gauchos' board handy? I seem to have lost iit somewhere in my cybertravels.

Also, do you have a box score for today's game?

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 03/12/05 7:35 pm    ::: board link Reply Reply with quote

link sure

http://p089.ezboard.com/bthefanforums87865

Just found a box score on the Idaho site Sad Nothing up on UCSB's site yet)

http://www.uiathletics.com/pages/sport.asp?Action=DrawBoxscore&SportID=&NewsID=2766&PageID=18

Mitchell and Faurholt only had 40 points combined and I think they had 29 of the 36 Idaho points at the half, so UCSB did a better job in the second half Smile

UCSB only gets 15 points from players not named Mia or Kristen! (59 combined)... from the stats/lack of scoring balance, I'm almost amazed we won.

For the second game in 24 hours 4 of 5 Idaho starters played the full 40 and the other started rested for less than 5 minutes. That's just awesome endurance.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 03/12/05 8:35 pm    ::: Idaho Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, two thoughts keep running through my mind:

3 game breakdown of minutes played
Mitchell 119
Faurholt 120
Felton 106
Westbrooks 116
Thoelke 118
Sax 21

1. That's a lot of D1 basketball in 52 hours!
2. Mitchell/Faurholt/Thoelke were on the same high school team: must have been one hell of a high school team!

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/14/05 12:18 pm    ::: re: Gauchos win Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Mitchell/Faurholt/Thoelke were on the same high school team: must have been one hell of a high school team!

I met Emily Faurholt's aunt while in line for the women's room. It was a hell of a team according to her.

UCSB's run was 19 straight points in the second half. Also, I thought the intentional foul was bogus because they usually don't call them that late unless somebody gets hurt. Faurholt fouled Kristen but didn't get the call so she then wrapped her up in a bear hug. The real surprise was that she didn't get a T because she argued with the ref the whole time Kristen was shooting foul shots. It was a great game!!!

I like being in Fresno!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: