RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue beats Wisky 77-57

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 12/29/05 8:59 pm    ::: Purdue beats Wisky 77-57 Reply Reply with quote

Aya Traore is playing like the player people were expecting last year....she led the team in scoring with 18. Jodi Howell had a breakout game with 15. Gearlds with 13, Lawless with 11 and Wisdom-Hylton with 10. Nice balance.

Banks had 11 and Anderson had 10 for Wisconsin.

I would love a report from the game when people start getting back home as I couldn't make it.....there was a huge foul discrepancy in the second half in Purdue's favor and I would like to know if it was legit.

Anyway, nice way to start the Big Ten....for once Purdue isn't sent out on the road. Now comes a biggie: OSU on Sunday. They mauled Rene and PSU (not that I'm upset by that), but this is a huge early test for Purdue coming up and I would like to see them play like they can play.

PostPosted: 12/29/05 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i seem to recall a lot of preseason talk about how this would be a break-out year for Wisconsin and Anderson... so far, it's not looking good. they've lost 7 of their last 8, including some to second and third tier teams.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/29/05 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woot. I cant wait until Sunday!!! Thats going to be a huge game. Tonight is extra special, Purdue spanked Wisconsin and Illinois handled Michigan!

PostPosted: 12/29/05 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got back from the game about 20 minutes ago. I didn't even notice the foul discrepency until after the game when another fan pointed it out, so I can't shed any light on that. But I will say that Purdue came out on fire and then seemed to cool off A LOT, they were stuck on 18pts for quite a while!! They came out with a little spunk in the 2nd half and kept it going, made some nice defensive stops and started pulling away.

Aya was amazing tonight!! There was one play in particular when I believe Sharika got a steal and she took off to lay it in, but lost her footing or something and lost the ball....Aya comes in, scoops it up, lays it in, and I believe gets a foul too. SPECTACULAR!!! All the starters in double figures and then Jodi got her legs under her and also came off the bench to add 12. It was SWEEEEET and I hope they can keep it going for the Ohio State game and beyond that.

Also, Brittany Rayburn a recruit out of Attica was at the game, this was the 2nd game that I noticed she was there. AND, special appearances by Erika Valek, Emily Heikes, and Lindsey Hicks!!! Very Happy They all look great and have been playing overseas.

OK, well, that's all I got. GO BOILERS!!!!

Sternvogel

PostPosted: 12/31/05 12:43 am    ::: Re: Purdue beats Wisky 77-57 Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
I would love a report from the game when people start getting back home as I couldn't make it.....there was a huge foul discrepancy in the second half in Purdue's favor and I would like to know if it was legit.

Pretty much so -- Wisconsin didn't go inside too often, so there wasn't much need on Purdue's part to "get physical". Before the game, I told my seatmate (who happens to be the writer of this column) that my hunch was that Jodi Howell would have a breakout game. Although Traore did lead the Boilers in scoring, I would have given the game ball to Jodi, as Aya's been scoring around the 15-point mark for each of the last five or six games. Meanwhile, Howell's first good outing since the season opener against Butler gave Purdue another viable option and helped turn a fairly close game into a blowout.

I was disappointed that Curry kept several of her starters on the court until the final buzzer. With Ohio State coming up, you want the key players as rested as reasonably possible, and there's no sense risking an injury to Gearlds or Traore when you're up 18 points with under a minute to play. I expect that won't be a concern Sunday. For the last several seasons, I've participated in a mailing-list contest by picking the Big Ten conference game scores. The organizer didn't e-mail any entry blanks for this opening long weekend of action, but my unofficial prediction last night was a 73-56 Purdue triumph, and I wasn't far off the mark. With that in mind, I'll project the Buckeyes as a 69-64 victor Sunday, while inviting you to root for me to be wrong. Wink

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/birthdays/index.html

Let me know of any players/teams you wish to see added!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: