RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LPGA; NW Arkansas Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/10/11 10:49 am    ::: LPGA; NW Arkansas Classic Reply Reply with quote

Several story lines this week.

Yani is defending champion and was tied with the lead.

Razorbacks Stacy Lewis and sponsor's pick Emily Tubert are entered this week. There is a huge Arkansas contingent this week, with Lewis "calling the hogs" on 17 yesterday which she birdied along with 18 where she birdied to Tie Yani for the lead.

Tubert is an interesting player. As a top junior and 2010 Public Links Champion, Tubert chose Arkansas over several top golf schools. A good choice I think. Tubert started well with several pars, turned at +1, [reeled off 4 straight bogies]then recovered finishing with a couple of birdies. Tubert's father is actor Marcelo Tubert, a successful character actor...

Tubert is not taking the week off from school so she played her first ever LPGA round yesterday and then drove to Fayetteville for her regular classes. She has no plans to turn pro early. She earned All American honors last year as a freshman and helped lead the Lady Bacs to their best NCAA finish last year.

There are only two full field events remaining on tour this year so it's now or never for certain players to keep their cards.

Here is a good break down on that situation.
Quote:
September means baseball pennant races and football kicking off for many people but here at the HDLPGA, it means Quest For The Card. With only nine full-field non-major events this year (down from 11 in 2010 and 15 in 2009), the money list races are more wide-open than ever. All players who finish in the Top 80 earn Category 1 status for 2012 and can play virtually all of the events. Those in the 81-100 range will be in Category 11 - these players will each have made ten to twelve starts through Navistar. Players in the 101-125 range will be Category 15, which this year has been worth seven to nine starts. Note that the purse in Arkansas is much larger than the one for Navistar ($2 million vs. $1.3) so a good finish this week will net a player a lot more cash than a comparable one would next week. Also, the target numbers I list for each race is my current estimate of the cutoff points - just getting ahead of that number doesn't guarantee a player is going to make it, she needs to clear it with room to spare.

http://www.hounddoglpga.com/2011/9/7/2410250/quest-for-the-card-2011-edition

The two biggest surprises fighting for cards are Jessica Korda and Laura Davies.

I'm not sure what Korda's problem is exactly. A couple of concerns are daddy caddy Peter, the former tennis champion. With so few starts I think it is essential these days to have a caddy who knows the courses. Experience counts. Compounding that problem for Korda, and I haven't seen her play much but she has big time power and what little I have seen of her, distance control is an issue with her. All the more reason to have an experienced caddy on the bag to give her confidence in the club selection. The good news for Korda is she is a strong qualifier so I think she can go back to Q-school and keep her card.

Laura Davies of course can still compete on the LET. I haven't looked into this but there is a multiple winner category that could get her into some events I think. Sponsors exemptions are also a big possibility. I can't see a great champion like Davies going back to Q-School.

Taylor Leon, my current avatar, needs 40 - 50k to keep her status. She finished strong last year to gain her status for this year. But she needs a top 5 or 2 top 10/20 at this point I think. She fired a 4 under 67 yesterday so she is in the hunt this week.

Should be a great weekend for golf; maybe Lewis and Yani can go head to head again Sunday for a replay of the Kraft this year.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/10/11 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great stuff again today.

Amy Yang, a young prodigal player found her putting stroke to shoot 7 under 64 and Tie Yani at 9 under. Yani had a ho hum 4 under 67.

Ryann O'Toole had another disaster type day shooting 81 to join 4 other Solheim team mates to miss the cut. I gotta hand it to Ryann, when she misses a cut she don't fuck around Rolling Eyes The Euros are looking very good right now.

Emily Tubert, the only amateur, followed her 1st round 74 with with a 5 birdie 3 under 68 to easily make the cut in in her first LPGA event. How bout them Lady Backs![Emily also leads the long driving averga stats thus far I believe, with a 267 average] Yep, that's right, out driving Bam Bam, Yani, O'Toole, and others.

Taylor Leon followed up her 67 with another, she trails by one shot. A top 6 or 7 tomorrow will maintain her full status for next year. She hit a lot of greens again today. Same thing tomorrow I think she has an easy day. Hey Taylor, just win the darn thing!

vanyogan

PostPosted: 09/15/11 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Epilogue:

Yani Tseng got her 5th title of the year. About the only thing she has left to accomplish this year would be to win 5 more, that would put her in some tall company. She really is at another level right now. Amy Yang tied Tseng after 54 holes. Yani won the playoff.

My avatar girl Taylor Leon faltered the last day, made triple on the back nine, a par 5 reachable in two. It can't be easy playing for your job. She did finish well enough to get in the top hundred. A top ten finish this week would get her in the top [80].

Belen Mozo, easily the hottest girl on tour finally broke thru with a great finish T5. This will take her from 116 to inside the top 80. Belen is from Spain, and sponsored by Greg Norman brand. Norman has to be breathing a sigh of relief. Belen comes with some serious amateur credentials and until last week she was one of the top disappointments on the Rookie list.

Now that's what I call a good pro-am partner.

Uh, Taylor, your avatar status is in some serious jeopardy. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: