Board Junkies Forums

Opal squad of 30 named
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/10/05 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

internationalbball wrote:
It is a waste for the whole team every year they say they are going to beat TEAM USA but they never do I am not imporessed with there National Team at all they play for 2nd or 3rd all the time the Russians are better to me I think

Be careful what you say about my Opals Mr Internationalbball!
We have a great plan for the next world championships. Our plan will be to lose the gold medal game, but since we are so terrible at carrying out our plans we will mess that up and accidentally win.
Then we will see who is impressed!
Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/10/05 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Listen but your tickets I will walk up lauren and tell her the Opals stink and all the girls you are saying for the next team USA might not be there listen shannon johnson, tina thompson, lisa leslie,delisha milton-jones, diana taursi, katie smith ,sue bird beleive usa basketball dose not care if you are a star in the league they want players who can blend together beleive Team USA will not take a chance on players who donthave experience in the system because they want to win so they dont have time to take a chance on someone who might haave had one good season in the league No offense to Australia I have a little frustration with them because the last time in the World championships they where very rude I agree the other countries are getting better but Team USA is so strong but maybe they can be beat.

ageckogirl

PostPosted: 03/11/05 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

InternationalBBall, I am all for Team USA and I know that we are strong in the category, BUT Cam makes a good point. LJ was not playing that strong in the Gold Medal game due to injury. Basketball Australia is growing in strength. If they get the best coach (IMHO it is not Jan), a healthy LJ, and some of the best talent that they are turning out....they may be the team to beat. We (USA) need to get over ourselves and recognize that just like Russia was to Ice Hockey, people are looking at us to beat us.....gaining strength, talent, and technique.

It will be interesting to see who does go to the Worlds for Australia. The next few months will show how much support Jan really has.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 03/11/05 1:24 am    ::: Re: Opal squad of 30 named Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
http://www.basketball.net.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=9526&orgID=1&Oname=BA&O1c=8&O10c=8

Nearly everyone worthy of mention is there. Tully is a notable omission - is she retired from international b'ball or was she robbed again?

Keegan, when I read the list of players I see Tully's name at the bottom. What's up with that? Am I just seeing things or is she really there....now?

BTW, I am beginning to see the Aussie strategy. They want to win the BIG ONE...the BIG O. I think their plan is to get as many Opals as they can on the Phoenix Mercury where they can be coached by the REAL olympic coach....Timmsy and her assistant, Graf Graf will never get any respect from basketball Austrailia). Laughing

Seriously though, I agree with Cam. The USA can not turn their back on the Aussies. I said this last summer, so I might as well repeat it now, if Penny Taylor had not picked up her fourth foul at the end of the third and been about to stay in the game, we might have seen a different gold medal team this past year. Team USA made their big run at the beginning of the 4th with Taylor on the bench and it was too much for the Aussies to overcome.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/11/05 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sportsfan, that is definitely a recent addition. Hmmm interesting.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/05 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stirling fires back in Opal dispute

PostPosted: 03/12/05 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Jan, NOT!! Seems like this is finally getting to her. I am sure that this summer will for sure tell is who does not support her. BA made a big mistake not listening to the players. If the people do not believe in the coach, then there can not be a successful team.

1carol

PostPosted: 03/12/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ageckogirl wrote:
Poor Jan, NOT!! Seems like this is finally getting to her. I am sure that this summer will for sure tell is who does not support her. BA made a big mistake not listening to the players. If the people do not believe in the coach, then there can not be a successful team.

Quote:
she said: "I don't expect everyone to like me. I have to make hard decisions. But I don't believe the team is divided.

I don't think the team is divided either - methinks they all want her gone!!
Twisted Evil

ageckogirl

PostPosted: 03/12/05 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that you are right too. Even if the team did WAS divided, they are no longer. When the captains do not want her, then they have a way to gain support for them. Plus I think that the article was BS where they said that Jan was the favorite for the job. If that is true than Basketball Australia better pull their heads out of a dark place and start listening to the players.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 03/13/05 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
The best Jan can come up with is a frickin' pick and roll.

For those of you not familiar with opals basketball, that play is where Jan picks Alison Tranquilli to be in the starting lineup, and the rest of the squad rolls their eyes

Laughing No body can ever say Aussies don't have a sense of humor!
That HC has never really explained what she was trying to do with the surprise selection of Tanquilli as a starter for the game against USA. On seeing that the same Tranquilli has been selected in the squad of 30 I did a little homework but can't find Ballarat in the Aussie WNBL. So what gives Aussies? What is this all about?
Future international tournaments might see the Russians come up again as the real threat, but by the next Olympics maybe China will become a real chance for a silver or bronze medal.

hellcat24

PostPosted: 03/13/05 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ballarat is a team in the SEABL (a tier below the WNBL), I have heard rumours however that Tranquilli may suit up for Bulleen next season. If so I think it would be purely so she could attend the Commonwealth games.

The bottom line is with the European season I doubt any of the girls would come home for this event, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a purely WNBL playing Opals line up (which might explain the size of the squad).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: