RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

(11)Michigan State @ (3) LSU Game discussion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samaria

PostPosted: 12/25/05 10:15 pm    ::: (11)Michigan State @ (3) LSU Game discussion. Reply Reply with quote

So, MSU takes on the LSU power-house. This is the official game discussion. What are MSU's chances on beating this team? How will Liz Shimek's game go? What will Michigan State do about Agustus? Discuss it here!

Razz Merry Christmas Everyone!!! Razz

*And happy holidays, because not everyone celebrates the same thing.

PostPosted: 12/26/05 12:35 am    ::: Re: (11)Michigan State @ (3) LSU Game discussion. Reply Reply with quote

lilswin2003 wrote:
So, MSU takes on the LSU power-house. This is the official game discussion. What are MSU's chances on beating this team? How will Liz Shimek's game go? What will Michigan State do about Agustus? Discuss it here!

Happy whole set of holidays.

Chances: maybe 25%. Shimek: she'll have to use her midrange game, because Fowles ain't letting her anywhere near the basket. Augustus: they'll try to make her shoot from outside her comfort range-- until this year she didn't much like to try threes.

LSU will have a hard time with Bowen, but State will have a much harder time with Fowles.

mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 12/26/05 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling Shimek will have one of her games where she has about 3-4 shots blocked and continues to shoot.

She killed my Sooners, but IMO she won't do the same against Fowles.

Capri

PostPosted: 12/26/05 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSU plays in that "punch you in the mouth" style - they contest everything, pressure the ball, and never give their opponents a minute's rest on the court.

If LSU can handle it, they should win going away. They have more talent by a wide margin.
If they get flustered MSU can win. I haven't seen this year's edition of LSU to predict how they'll react.

Samaria

PostPosted: 12/26/05 11:58 am    ::: Re: (11)Michigan State @ (3) LSU Game discussion. Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
lilswin2003 wrote:

Happy whole set of holidays.

Chances: maybe 25%. Shimek: she'll have to use her midrange game, because Fowles ain't letting her anywhere near the basket. Augustus: they'll try to make her shoot from outside her comfort range-- until this year she didn't much like to try threes.

LSU will have a hard time with Bowen, but State will have a mu
ch harder time with Fowles.

I definitely agree. MSU hasn't had any solid center this season, and they can win some games with Liz and Lindsey (and others playing good) but with no solid center, you're probably not going to win against the best teams out there. But nothing is every certain.

To win this game, MSU has to double team Fowles, I think. No one in their starting lineup or on the bench is near her height. The people who play the center for them don't seem quick enough to guard her. (Man I can't wait till next year- MSU has Alyssa Dehaan, the 6'8'' Miss basketball Michigan.)

Lindsey, Rene, and Victoria (and anyone else who comes in and plays off the bench) has got to make some threes. They're not going to have much luck in the pain, IMO.

MSU has good shooters on the team, and the vocal point of this game should not only be shutting down Agustus and Fowles, but getting Lindsey Bowen some touches because she's damaging.

I think if MSU keeps the game close, they could win. Lindsey and Liz are very polished players and they are too good under pressure to give up a really close game. (USUALLY.)

On the other end, LSU just needs to give Fowles and Agustus the ball. It's easy for them. I think they need to try and contain the Michigan State back-court, especially Lindsey.

PostPosted: 12/26/05 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There isn't much question as to which team has more talent, but that doesn't always transfer into wins (As I, a WNBA fan, know) I think both teams have a chance at winning. For LSU, they need Fowles to play her game. No one from MSU is going to be able to keep a hold of her by themselves, so she should do her thing. She and Augustus will most likely be gaurded heavily, but they may be able to handle it. If not, others will need to step up. And on defense, they need to shut down Shimek and Bowen, as well as any other State player who may feel like getting hot (Haynes, VLP..)

For MSU, like I said, they will need to find some way to try and stop Fowles and Augustas. Shimek and whatever center is in for Michigan state are going to be double teaming her and they are likely to get into foul trouble. MSU should give Shimek the ball a lot and try to get LSU's big players, especially Fowels, into foul trouble. Lindsay Bowen is definitely going to need to have one of her games as well as Shimek. And Rene Haynes is surely going to play her A-game defense. Someone needs to stop Seimone.

Samaria

PostPosted: 12/26/05 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm mad, I coulda sworn it said at first that the game was on TV! This sucks!

PostPosted: 12/27/05 12:55 pm    ::: Re: (11)Michigan State @ (3) LSU Game discussion. Reply Reply with quote

BUMP.

PostPosted: 12/28/05 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lilswin2003 wrote:
I'm mad, I coulda sworn it said at first that the game was on TV! This sucks!

i don't understand why this and other games aren't on. there was a rush of games, and now (almost)) nothing. the only thing i see tonight is louisville/kentucky. looks like i coulda waited till january to turn on that sports pack . . .

PostPosted: 12/28/05 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm afraid we'll see in tonight's game a repeat of last year's MSU-Baylor championship game--and that means a double-digit Tiger win. MSU is good (we saw that against OU), but they don't have the speed and athleticism needed to match up well with LSU (we saw that in their game against UT).

Now, if MSU can control the game tempo by playing good defense and showing patience on the offensive end (what they did against UT in the semi-finals last year), then they're in business.

The Big Ten can't afford another embarrassing loss to a top team. Ohio State was run out of its own gym by this Tiger squad. It will be interesting to see if State can redeem some conference pride. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

Rothum

PostPosted: 12/28/05 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa LSU Mich tied!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am dying here.....

icey23

PostPosted: 12/28/05 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From LSU Live Stats LSU 13:34 WILLIAMS,FLORENCE (22) GOOD DUNK Y 15 - 12

LMAO

PostPosted: 12/28/05 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

35-29 LSU at the half...high scorer for LSU...Hanna Biernacka with 15 Shocked

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/28/05 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
35-29 LSU at the half...high scorer for LSU...Hanna Biernacka with 15 Shocked

Who is Hanna Biernacka? haha

PostPosted: 12/28/05 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't she transfer a couple of weeks FROM LSU?

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 12/28/05 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wish I could see the game (but not willing to pay money to do so tonight). The limited box score available at LSU's website looks like Lucas-Perry has the hot hand, Bowen's being closely guarded (by whom?) and can't get her shot off, and Shimek is getting stuffed all over the place.

Kelli Roehrig is not a WNBA-caliber player, but MSU's games this year have made clear (for those who didn't follow MSU in conference play) how good she was at simply creating space in which Shimek could operate. No Kelli + elite center on opposing team = no space for Liz. No space for Liz + <50% from three = MSU can't keep up. Though I suppose we would have said that at the corresponding moment (11:00 in the second half) of last year's national semifinal-- so who knows?

vanyogan

PostPosted: 12/28/05 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Wish I could see the game (but not willing to pay money to do so tonight). The limited box score available at LSU's website looks like Lucas-Perry has the hot hand, Bowen's being closely guarded (by whom?) and can't get her shot off, and Shimek is getting stuffed all over the place.

Kelli Roehrig is not a WNBA-caliber player, but MSU's games this year have made clear (for those who didn't follow MSU in conference play) how good she was at simply creating space in which Shimek could operate. No Kelli + elite center on opposing team = no space for Liz. No space for Liz + <50% from three = MSU can't keep up. Though I suppose we would have said that at the corresponding moment (11:00 in the second half) of last year's national semifinal-- so who knows?

I think Kelli controlled her world as good as any center in the NCAA last year. Her world was just a bit smaller.

PostPosted: 12/28/05 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pulling away! Geaux Tigers! 47-33

Hoston 17, Augustus 15

stever

PostPosted: 12/28/05 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

...right on the money, professor! I feared they would miss Roehrig more this year than Haynie...they simply have no answer this year for the likes of Fowles, etc.

icey23

PostPosted: 12/28/05 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles has a field day 20pts 17Rebounds

PostPosted: 12/28/05 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles had a new hair style.

PostPosted: 12/28/05 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anything on Hoston's injury? was it just cramps?

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/28/05 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Fowles has a field day 20pts 17Rebounds

Damn. Im sure the LSU's mens team wouldnt mind starting her with those kind of numbers and that kind of strength...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: