RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stacked like a Fox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 12/28/05 9:23 pm    ::: Stacked like a Fox Reply Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/sioncampus/12/26/Minnesota.PG/index.html

Stacked like a Fox
Posted: Monday December 26, 2005 11:32AM; Updated: Tuesday December 27, 2005 12:15PM

By Matthew Waxman

If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of Rolodex cards flip, flip ... flipping. Now that the guy at USC with the stellar left arm and two left feet has completed his ballroom dancing requirements, the baton of college media darling baton has passed from a football star to a basketball starlet.

Minnesota freshman point guard Emily Fox is handy on and off the court.
Minnesota freshman point guard Emily Fox is handy on and off the court.
Photo by AP

This college hoopstress has displayed her skills most notably on the talk shows of Ellen, Maury Povich, Caroline Rhea, Sharon Osbourne and Jimmy Kimmel.Onthe latter, she rubbed elbows with fellow guest, Usher. (Elementary school) boys want to meet her and girls want to be her. Digital pictures and shocking video clips of her are splashed all over the Internet. And no, this isn't another fawning piece about Candace Parker.

Minnesota freshman point guard Emily Fox averages 2.3 points per game, but she is likely the only current college athlete in the Guinness Book of World Records. On page 46 of the 2006 edition, a hair's length away from Longest Ear Hair (5.19 inches) and Heaviest Birth (23 lb, 12 oz) is Fox's record for Cup Stacking.

Cup Stacking, or Speed Stacking, involves stacking and unstacking specially designed cups in special formations at unfathomable speeds. And before you try and one-up her story with the time you built and then human cannonballed a 12-foot beer can pyramid in your frat house basement, check out her world record performance of 7.43 seconds.

The sport began in the 1980s and is played mainly in elementary school gym classes, which explains her popularity among the chocolate milk drinking set. At the annual Cup Stacking Championship in Denver, which attracts more than 1,000 participants from all around the world, Fox is mobbed like Carrie Fischer at a Star Wars convention. "I have to sign a lot of autographs for kids," says Fox, whose father runs a company that sells the specialized stacking cups. "I usually have to sneak out the back because I feel bad telling kids that I have to go."

Despite being retired from competition, word of this dexterous dervish's talents have followed her to Minnesota. "When people in my dorm or in my classes find out about it, they ask me to do a demonstration," says Fox, who began stacking at age nine and credits speed stacking for her basketball coordination. "Also, I get a lot of Facebook messages saying 'Oh, you're the cup girl."

Plastic cups have been known to appear in triangular formations on college campuses. Should the kingpin of U of M's Beirut scene be nervous? "Nah," says Fox with a laugh. "I'm strictly a cup stacker."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/sioncampus/12/26/Minnesota.PG/index.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: