RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Solheim Cup Team Captains's Picks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/01/11 10:49 am    ::: USA Solheim Cup Team Captains's Picks Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I would not want to be Capt Rosie Jones right now. Christina Kim qualified at #10, that leaves two spots.

I think that leaves 4-5 players to choose from. Katie Futcher has been on a slow burn climb, she finished in the 11th position. Shot record tying [64] yesterday.

I love McPherson, she finished 12th. But she has not played well of late.

Of the remaining choices you have Vicky Hurst, no real break thru despite all that talent.

Pat Hurst, she is looking like the Pat of old, I pick her and I think Rosie does too. Of all the choices she has been the most consistent down the stretch to this day.

So I think Rosie picks Futcher and P. Hurst. As much as Futcher deserves it, and getting the nod from Rosie might just put her over the top. Incidentally, Futcher is probably the most fit, sculpted player on tour except one more.

Ryann O'Toole, I might pick O'Toole here, she hits it big, she plays with fire, and she might be a better choice as far as the team matches.

I would go with O'Toole and Pat Hurst. I think Rosie might go with P. Hurst and Futcher. Solid logical choices IMO.

ETA: Guess I jumped the gun a bit. Still too close to call. The best opportunities left are obviously all the above mentioned, but O'Toole was not entered in the British, odd IMO, comsidering she made the field at Evian, a more limited field? Anyway, one more to go.

Quote:
Only one event remains until the U.S. team is announced following the Safeway Classic Presented by Coca-Cola, which takes place Aug. 19-21. U.S. Captain Rosie Jones will add two captain's picks to the 10 points qualifiers to round out the 12-player team that will take on Allison Nicholas and the Europeans, Sept. 23-25 at Killeen Castle in Ireland.

PostPosted: 08/20/11 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, trying to guess who Captain Rosie might pick is a fools game. She can pick anyone, nobody is separating themselves or making a case.

At first I thought PAT Hurst was shoe in, and may be, but her recent play this year just does not say so. It's silly to think the next 30 hours make a difference.

So, I'm making my picks now. The Euro team get's to set up the course and on paper they have the biggest hitters. The LPGA desperately needs some players who resonate with the public.

Given the distance factor and the [look] factor, I would go with Vicky Hurst and Ryann O'Toole. O'Toole is a rookie making only her 7th start on the tour this year, but she is also the only player that even appears to be trying to make the team!

Rosie, take Vicky and Ryann, they both knock the crap outta the ball, they look good, and they have just as good a chance of winning a match as any other choice you can make.

ETA: It seems like Rosie may have already said to O'Toole not this time. But it also seems like O'Toole is making things difficult or easy thus far to pick her.

About the only stat you can go by is scoring average. If you look at that O'Toole is the lowest scorer outside the qualified USA players, so that is a justification to pick her. Fortunately, Rosie has plenty of people who can do all these minute stats, so if she wants she can look at O'Toole's 7 starts and compare her to the other half dozen in the mix.

O'Toole is sitting at T4 right now, so she is playing the best of anyone in the mix, and even though Rosie poo pooed the idea of picking her I don't believe it.

Today O'Toole got it to 3 under after 5; then made bogey and double, then followed that with birdie, birdie, that shows fight, it shows guts, and that is what you want. And she looked astonishingly good doing it Laughing

The above said, a player like KM, or KT, these players have also shown the same thing; they are tough and you could just pick your team on points. That would be easy. O'Toole is a trend line stat pick, she can't get there on points with only 7 starts.

So I think it will come down to can O'Toole finish, if she can, then I think she gets the nod. If not Rosie just might go with the points.

The thing is, this is a career pinnacle for Rosie Jones, being picked as Captain is the biggest achievement of her career, and it's a one time deal. That is how I know she will make good picks, and it may be for reasons I have not even contemplated. One thing is certain, she wants to win and nobody can question that; not until she loses. Captains do not lose, players do Wink

I'm good with whomever Rosie picks, that needs to be said.

You want to know how hard this is? Since I made my picks; I changed my mind, right now I would go with Futcher over Hurst, even though she missed the cut and don't hit outta her own shadow. If you go with Futcher and O'Toole, you could have the two fittest golfers on the planet, and sub them into a tag team WWE match!Laughing, for sure you win that one.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/22/11 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vicky Hurst and Ryann O'Toole both came thru Sunday to tie for 5th.

Hurst shot 67 and ended up 11th on points. O'Toole got her second top 10 in 7 starts and will probably make another big move in the world rankings.

Those were my picks and those are Captain Jones' picks.

I'm still a bit stunned that she picked Ryann, but that is why I like Rosie, she has the confidence to make the picks.

I think they can win matches, and though they may not get many Cup starts, if Rosie feels she needs to pair a big hitter with someone like Pressel, or pair two together in the fourball, she has two big hitters in Hurst and O'Toole.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/22/11 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This competition got the big Wiezy on track last season, I'm hoping it does the same this season.

I've been a Tiger and Michelle fan for ages...not a great year. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/22/11 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
This competition got the big Wiezy on track last season, I'm hoping it does the same this season.

Well, between his personal issues and injury, Tiger is in a slump. I fear his health my be an issue but would never count him out.

Wie has some serious putting issues and I think her college life takes away her focus. The only time I saw her play she putted great, she wasn't thinking, she just saw the line and stepped up and hit em. She has serious putting issues, if she ain't seeing the Stocktons she needs to.

The matches should be exciting but the USA players are not at their best; the EUROS are playing better right now IMO, but these matches are always fun to watch. It will be interesting to see how Rosie uses her rookies. My guess is she will send them out in the afternoon the first day in the four ball. I might put Hurst with Pressel and O'Toole with Kerr or Creamer, maybe even Lincicome.

There is a lot of golf left before the matches, interesting to see how everyone plays the next few weeks. Wie is defending this week.

Europe picks their team this Sunday and it's always controversial Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/22/11 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Well, between his personal issues and injury, Tiger is in a slump. I fear his health my be an issue but would never count him out.

Wie has some serious putting issues and I think her college life takes away her focus. The only time I saw her play she putted great, she wasn't thinking, she just saw the line and stepped up and hit em. She has serious putting issues, if she ain't seeing the Stocktons she needs to.

The matches should be exciting but the USA players are not at their best; the EUROS are playing better right now IMO, but these matches are always fun to watch. It will be interesting to see how Rosie uses her rookies. My guess is she will send them out in the afternoon the first day in the four ball. I might put Hurst with Pressel and O'Toole with Kerr or Creamer, maybe even Lincicome.

There is a lot of golf left before the matches, interesting to see how everyone plays the next few weeks. Wie is defending this week.

Yea, Wie has always had putting issues.

I disagree about the college thing, sort of. I think she needed it..or she might have quit the game.

An interesting quote about Michelle was "Paula Creamer eats, drinks, and sleeps golf. Michelle likes golf..but she also likes to cook and draw and loves school too.." She is..much more like Lebron than Kobe.

I don't count Tiger out at all. He's just..getting older..and it's unfortunate, because Golf just isn't the same without him.

PostPosted: 08/23/11 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Yea, Wie has always had putting issues.

I disagree about the college thing, sort of. I think she needed it..or she might have quit the game.

An interesting quote about Michelle was "Paula Creamer eats, drinks, and sleeps golf. Michelle likes golf..but she also likes to cook and draw and loves school too.." She is..much more like Lebron than Kobe.

I don't count Tiger out at all. He's just..getting older..and it's unfortunate, because Golf just isn't the same without him.

Oh I'm not questioning Wie's decision to go to school, but even her coach has said she probably won't hit her peak and really focus until she get's out.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/29/11 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the European team with the captain's picks in bold, no real surprises here. This is a strong team.

http://www.ladieseuropeantour.com/main_article.php?id=54832&pid=1001

Hedwell has likely earned a place on the LPGA tour with only 3 starts, so it's tough to find any weak links on this team.
Christel Boeljon, is currently 74th on the LPGA $ list, so she will also likely have full status next year. Davies hasn't played well this year but it's hard to call her a weak link. I think Davies and O'Toole are the lowest ranked players in the fight.

These teams are even, USA a bit heavy on top, Europe strong on the bottom with the middle being pretty even. Being at home, I give the edge to the Euros.

It won't be easy to retain the cup at Killeen Castle, Ireland, a Nicklaus design. It will look and play tee to green like a links course but Jack loves the approach shot so I think you will have some holes where you fly the ball in there and others where you have to put the ball on the ground. A great venue for this event.

Quote:
The combined records for the teams slightly favors the Europeans. Their team is 56-54-25 in 34 previous Solheim Cups, while the U.S. has combined for a 49-34-22 mark in 27 Cups.

Take Inkster and Davies away from their respective squads and the records are even closer. The Euros are 35-37-20 minus Davies, while the U.S. is 34-24-16 excluding Inkster's record.

The outcome of the Solheim Cup will be determined as much by the veterans as it will by the rookies.

And most of the eight first-timers are rookies in name only. All eight have won a professional tournament, the biggest of which belongs to American Stacy Lewis, who won the 2011 Kraft Nabisco.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/29/2380377/both-solheim-teams-are-top-heavy.html#ixzz1WRoTHNMA

http://www.killeencastle.com/holeby.php

http://www.solheimcup.com/

TEAM

Melissa Reid (England)

Laura Davies (England)

Suzann Pettersen (Norway)

Christel Boeljon (Netherlands)

Maria Hjorth (Sweden)

Anna Nordqvist (Sweden)

Catriona Matthew (Scotland)

Sophie Gustafson (Sweden)

Azahara Muoz (Spain)

Caroline Hedwall (Sweden)

Karen Stupples (England)

Sandra Gal (Germany)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: