RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood is Leaving Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/20/05 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Hmmm, when you have the lowest FG% on the team maybe you shouldn't be too shocked when the coach doesn't want you to shoot as much.

Tennessee probably isn't the best place for her. Summitt doesn't have the reputation of working well with talented PGs. She'll be better served to find a place with some structure. It would be sad if she left behind a college career of silly playground plays and unfulfilled potential, ala Nikki Teasley.

I can see OU being a nice fit; she can be a Dionnah Jackson type player (only maybe she'll make it to the pros).

Alepp03

PostPosted: 12/20/05 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not giving up hope on Dionnah.

Sade at Oklahoma makes Oklahoma scary considering their weakness is the perimeter. Adding more talent around Courtney Paris will only make her more scary.

PostPosted: 12/20/05 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess this is what happens when you verbal in 8th grade and that's why they don't allow LOIs until Senior year? Anyway, hope it works out well for her at her new school. Would be a shame to see that talent go the way of Courtney Young.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 12/20/05 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hold up, is this the kid that changed high schools THREE times? If so, that pretty much ends it for me. Really does any Tennessee or California people know if this is true?

Maybe they didn't "fit" her system.

FeFi

PostPosted: 12/20/05 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I believe she went to several high schools (someone else can confirm) and her Dad was her club coach or similar? I vaguely remember reading about her before she went to Tenn and thinking it was odd to move around that much for HS.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/20/05 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FeFi wrote:
Yes, I believe she went to several high schools (someone else can confirm) and her Dad was her club coach or similar? I vaguely remember reading about her before she went to Tenn and thinking it was odd to move around that much for HS.

Yes, well...

Anyways, good luck to her and I hope she finds a situation where she's happy.
gpark33

PostPosted: 12/20/05 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how the team comes out in response to this news tonight. I have to believe for a PHS team, they will continue to thrive. I hope they do anyway.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 12/20/05 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of all the board I go to around talking about this, UCLA folks aren't as surprised as most folks. We've had some discussions about how SWG never wanted to go to Tennessee. UCLA was her first choice and this even after she had verballed to Tennessee. It was her parents who wanted her at Tennessee and would never let her play for UCLA under KO. Dad didn't get along with KO and didn't think highly of her coaching. That is the story that has been going on around the UCLA posters, mostly in private e-mails though. Anyway, UCLA will have a new coach next season. If they don't fire KO who is in her last season, I wouldn't know what to think. Behind the scenes, the program is in such a disarray right now, it's not even funny...Sad

Good luck to SWG and I hope she does what she wants to do this time...

BTW, Ashlee's decision was the best for her and I have no ill feelings toward her. Like I said, the program is in such a mess right now that I can't fault a player for leaving like she did...

Last edited by AJMMs on 12/20/05 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 12/20/05 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

transfers at the high school level have become more and more common. Lots of reasons... mom's job moves... family moves to be close to ill family member... academics.... coaching issues...want to play with your best friend...

"recruiting" is the biggest issue, I'm guessing. I recall a high school coach watching one of his best players leave his hs for an "open enrollement" school. Turns out she played for an AAU team and suddenly the entire starting 5 of the team decided to transfer to this new high school. Who knows who did what in that situation. Was it the new hs coach? was it the mom of one of the players saying to the other moms "we should all send our kids here because it'll make the team REALLY good and we'll get a lot of attention."

very rich material to mine...

PostPosted: 12/20/05 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
transfers at the high school level have become more and more common. Lots of reasons... mom's job moves... family moves to be close to ill family member... academics.... coaching issues...want to play with your best friend...

"recruiting" is the biggest issue, I'm guessing. I recall a high school coach watching one of his best players leave his hs for an "open enrollement" school. Turns out she played for an AAU team and suddenly the entire starting 5 of the team decided to transfer to this new high school. Who knows who did what in that situation. Was it the new hs coach? was it the mom of one of the players saying to the other moms "we should all send our kids here because it'll make the team REALLY good and we'll get a lot of attention."

It is in fact the subject of a big article in the Minneapolis paper today:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/526/5791777.html

stever

PostPosted: 12/21/05 8:38 am    ::: Tennessee guard might transfer to Oklahoma. Reply Reply with quote

http://shesgotgame.blogspot.com/2005/12/tennessee-guard-might-transfer-to.html

"How do you go from national player of the year to role player?" Jerry Gatewood said. "She doesn't want to be a role player."

Grumps

PostPosted: 12/21/05 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to an article on Scout she has 5 schools in mind but they only listed 3, Oklahoma, North Carolina and Purdue...Don't know who the other two are, but she plans on visiting in the next week and being somewhere the first of the year...

GRumps

Grumps

PostPosted: 12/21/05 8:56 am    ::: Re: Tennessee guard might transfer to Oklahoma. Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

"How do you go from national player of the year to role player?" Jerry Gatewood said. "She doesn't want to be a role player."

The writer of that story says she will have 2.5 years of eligibilty left which I think is wrong...

Grumps

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/21/05 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
According to an article on Scout she has 5 schools in mind but they only listed 3, Oklahoma, North Carolina and Purdue...Don't know who the other two are, but she plans on visiting in the next week and being somewhere the first of the year...

GRumps

Do you have a link for that? I can't find it.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 12/21/05 11:32 am    ::: Re: Tennessee guard might transfer to Oklahoma. Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Ahem... exactly what I was saying yesterday, but anyway....

I understand her reasoning, it's still my opinion that you don't drop your team in the middle of the year for it. If the year had played out, maybe things would have changed, if not dip at year's end, cool.

Sade is developing a bad pattern though. She changed high schools like 3 times and tried for a fourth and ended up sitting out 2-3 months of her senior year because of it. Now she's changing colleges. In about a six year period that makes three high schools and now going to be two colleges. And, why are her parents just going along with all of this?

I hope she finds happiness some where cause I don't think you can transfer colleges like 3 or 4 times and still have eligibility or can you?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/21/05 11:36 am    ::: Re: Tennessee guard might transfer to Oklahoma. Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
And, why are her parents just going along with all of this?

Her father is the one you are quoting. Perhaps that can give you some insight?

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 12/21/05 11:51 am    ::: Re: Tennessee guard might transfer to Oklahoma. Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

And you know what, that's really sad. I don't blame her really after hearing him and finding out about all the high schools. She's got some parents that maybe aren't giving her the guidance she needs.

To think about it, I thought her whole family moving all the way from California to be near her and supportive was honorable, now after all of this went down, it just sounds well, plain strange.

Well the next program will have something to deal with, with she and her folks.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/21/05 11:52 am    ::: Re: Tennessee guard might transfer to Oklahoma. Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

And you know what, that's really sad. I don't blame her really after hearing him and finding out about all the high schools. She's got some parents that maybe aren't giving her the guidance she needs.

To think about it, I thought her whole family moving all the way from California to be near her and supportive was honorable, now after all of this went down, it just sounds well, plain strange.

Well the next program will have something to deal with, with she and her folks.

I am reminded of Reciena Russell. Hopefully this works out better.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 12/21/05 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm vaguely recalling that name. Who was she and what happened?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/21/05 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
I'm vaguely recalling that name. Who was she and what happened?

Russell was a top 20 recruit out of Indiana. Partway through the recruiting process, Purdue, Tennessee and UConn all stopped their recruitment of her. There were rumors aswirl that her father was the reason and that coaches were concerned about trouble he would cause.

A move for her senior year of high school was investigated by the state high school atletics adminstration , but I believe she was vinidicated.

She ended up at Penn State as a freshman. She was a starter and played an important role on the Mazzante team that was a No. 1 seed.

After her freshman year, she transferred to Georgia. She sat out her year and was to give Humphries some help underneath. Shortly before the start of the season, she left Georgia. IMO that loss inside is a big reason for Georgia's struggles this year.

gpark33

PostPosted: 12/21/05 12:26 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee guard might transfer to Oklahoma. Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

To be honest, the more I hear about this, the more surprised I am she was recruited by TN in the first place.

Man, I really hope this kid gets some type of stability in her life and succeeds, she has great potential.

Grumps

PostPosted: 12/21/05 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Grumps wrote:

GRumps

Do you have a link for that? I can't find it.

Here is a link, but it is a premium site so I don't know if you can read it...

http://tennessee.scout.com/2/481031.html?refid=3487

Grumps

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 12/21/05 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

It is in fact the subject of a big article in the Minneapolis paper today:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/526/5791777.html

I'm not psychic. I SWEAR I'm not psychic!!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: