RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

He Said/She Said

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/09/05 9:46 am    ::: He Said/She Said Reply Reply with quote

A propos of Cappie's words with Geno:

<http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hc-auriemmaside0309.artmar09,0,7732338.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports-top>

PostPosted: 03/09/05 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is from the editor of the Journal Inquirer, a Hartford Area paper. Who knows, maybe this is the truth? Confused

Randy Smith: The following is sort of a summary of his article. Any quotes I use are from the story. He addresses the Cappy/Geno issue. He says that he and most of the press didn't see it. Rutgers AD Mulcahy asked 2 Rutgers beat writers to ask Viv about it. They did. Viv says among other things "we know what happened". Smith says that at that point she did NOT "know" but only knew what Cappie told her. As Stringer and Geno passed each other coming and going to the presser, Geno asked her why she didn't address the issue with HIM personally if there was a problem.

Randy relates the Cappie/Geno history with his respect and affection for her. Viv told Cappie to not talk about it afterwards. Geno said he would talk to Cappie after things subside a bit.

By piecing the info that Randy has together [he offers no guarantees], the following happened:

Very late in the game a Rutgers player was "razzing" a UConn player on the foul line. Geno didn't like it and told the ref DeMayo to tell her to knock it off. According to Barbara Jacobs [BE asst. commissioner in charge of refs], Geno said, "Dennis, tell her to shut the hell up".

Cappie hears this and makes a mocking face at Geno and gives him the one finger salute...hiding it from the refs. Geno says to check the scoreboard and behave yourself....and "may" have used profanity.

That was what Cappie was complaining to Geno about postgame. Geno's quizzical look suggested he really had no idea Cappie was referring back to the exchange. He thought it was over. Cappie then explained her side of the story to Viv...and Mulcahy at that point excitedly jumps in.

Geno... "Vivian got some bad information and ran with it. Cappie let her emotions get the better of her. I plan to chat with her real soon."

kinkitola

PostPosted: 03/09/05 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On other list I frequent someone said this is typical of Geno and even went so far as to say he's made homophobic comments in the past. Now I know he's a snarky sonna but I've never heard of him saying anything outside of said snarks, homophobic, racial or otherwise. Can anyone shed some light on this?

PostPosted: 03/10/05 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the latest that I've seen on the matter.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hc-geno0310.artmar10,0,4371633.story?coll=hc-headlines-huskywomen

Seems really blown out of proportion to me. In fact, I'm only posting this because it seems to be all the rage, and well, I can't help it if I'm trendy.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/10/05 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
Here's the latest that I've seen on the matter.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hc-geno0310.artmar10,0,4371633.story?coll=hc-headlines-huskywomen

Seems really blown out of proportion to me. In fact, I'm only posting this because it seems to be all the rage, and well, I can't help it if I'm trendy.

LOL! I can't believe this has become such a big deal too...the funny thing is if ESPN hadn't caught it on camera, I bet no one is any the wiser about it!

RubberTroll

PostPosted: 03/10/05 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

LOL! I can't believe this has become such a big deal too...the funny thing is if ESPN hadn't caught it on camera, I bet no one is any the wiser about it!

Yeah, it's not like the coaches had a 15 minute heated discussion that
had to be drown out with music just before a press conference within
ear shot of the press.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/10/05 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RubberTroll wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

ear shot of the press.

True, but had the cameras not caught it, Viv wouldn't have said anything, and Geno wouldn't have gotten pissed with Viv. It's all gamesmanship. Funny how Rutgers' AD today said that it may take until after the NCAA tournament for them to gather all their info.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/10/05 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm... what better way for CViv to deflect her team's attention from a loss going into the tournament than to sieze the opportunity to get them all fired up about their star being abused by the Great Satan. Just a thought.

dtsnms wrote:
RubberTroll wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

ear shot of the press.

True, but had the cameras not caught it, Viv wouldn't have said anything, and Geno wouldn't have gotten pissed with Viv. It's all gamesmanship. Funny how Rutgers' AD today said that it may take until after the NCAA tournament for them to gather all their info.

PostPosted: 03/10/05 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Hmmm... what better way for CViv to deflect her team's attention from a loss going into the tournament than to sieze the opportunity to get them all fired up about their star being abused by the Great Satan. Just a thought.

Some might say that you are giving her credit for being more calculating than she actually is. Some might say that you are giving her credit for being smarter than she actually is.

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 03/11/05 12:13 am    ::: Geno is cleared...of Cappie issue Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers has been getting a lot of attention this year, but CVS seems to prefer the underdog/disrespected role. The Geno non-incident was a chance for her to give them a chip on their shoulders as they lost big heading into the NCAA tourney.

As expected, the Big East is quick to try and quiet this. The very last paragraph of the article seems a bit random, and very misleading, to me though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/news?slug=ap-uconn-auriemma&prov=ap&type=lgns

PostPosted: 03/11/05 12:34 am    ::: Re: Geno is cleared...of Cappie issue Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
Rutgers has been getting a lot of attention this year, but CVS seems to prefer the underdog/disrespected role. The Geno non-incident was a chance for her to give them a chip on their shoulders as they lost big heading into the NCAA tourney.

As expected, the Big East is quick to try and quiet this. The very last paragraph of the article seems a bit random, and very misleading, to me though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/news?slug=ap-uconn-auriemma&prov=ap&type=lgns

If you mean the graf about Nykeshagate, I think it's the sort of thing reporters add in case their editors need to fill space, on the assumption that (like any hard-news story) editors cut from the bottom up (inverted-pyramid structure). I wouldn't read much into it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: