RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other K-State 'Cats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballwinner

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:15 pm    ::: Other K-State 'Cats Reply Reply with quote

Nicole Ohlde and Kendra Wecker are amazing indeed and should have solid WNBA careers. What about other Wildcats? Megan Mahoney is six footer that can rack up the assists. Laurie Koehn's shooting ability is only surpassed by her confidence. As a Mizzou fan, I say with the utmost respect that Koehn annoys the hell out of me.

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:26 pm    ::: Re: Other K-State 'Cats Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
Nicole Ohlde and Kendra Wecker are amazing indeed and should have solid WNBA careers. What about other Wildcats? Megan Mahoney is six footer that can rack up the assists. Laurie Koehn's shooting ability is only surpassed by her confidence. As a Mizzou fan, I say with the utmost respect that Koehn annoys the hell out of me.

I have been wondering what people think about Megan and Laurie. They have really made an impression on me, too. The three together are just a machine. Got to talk to Nicole on Sunday at a Lynx ST event and she is convinced Kendra will definitely go higher than 11th (of course, she said she would LOVE Kendra on the Lynx). I think she will go higher in the draft, too. Laurie and Megan would be bonus buys in the draft for any team, but then, the Wildcats are my pet team and I am just tad biased. By the way, it was abundantly clear that Nicole is as warm as Lindsay is icey. Then there is Nikki McCray's apathy (is she shy?) at even being there... Too many temperature changes in one day for me! Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Koehn looks like a late 1st, early 2nd rounder. If Michael Cooper were still in LA I'd say the Sparks would be a good fit for her.

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they are on my short draft board.imo Koehn rates high because the Mystics need a shooter off the bench,a role she could fall right into.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/07/05 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like Koehn a lot.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:25 pm    ::: Re: Other K-State 'Cats Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:

...The three together are just a machine. Got to talk to Nicole on Sunday at a Lynx ST event and she is convinced Kendra will definitely go higher than 11th (of course, she said she would LOVE Kendra on the Lynx). I think she will go higher in the draft, too. Laurie and Megan would be bonus buys in the draft for any team, but then, the Wildcats are my pet team and I am just tad biased. By the way, it was abundantly clear that Nicole is as warm as Lindsay is icey. Then there is Nikki McCray's apathy (is she shy?) at even being there... Too many temperature changes in one day for me! Rolling Eyes

Hey gump72 I had a chance to chat w/Nicole too about b-ball, school & stuff in between people getting her autograph. She really does leave you w/a warm impression. She strikes me as one of those people that just kind of loves life in a mature light hearted way, if that make sence. Maybe because she always has a smile on her face. She has a great sence of humor too. Anyway, I just love the kid even more & glad we have her Very Happy

Was not sure of Nik Nik being there other then over the yrs she is always traveling around the league making apperances. And Whalen was Whalen, the woman in demand.

As for the Cats; I love Wecker & hope she gets w/the right team & coach that will help her grow.

I hope Laurie & Meagan get looks from someone too. LK has a beautiful shot & to me should get a look from someone in the 2nd round. MM if she is not drafted I wonder if someone will invite her to a camp. From what I've seen she's a tough kid & handles the ball well enough to be a cheap guard to have on someones bench.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:27 pm    ::: Re: Other K-State 'Cats Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:
Then there is Nikki McCray's apathy (is she shy?) at even being there...

I found Nikki to be great - very outgoing and warm. Maybe you caught her on a bad day.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Brigade has hung out with McCray on a few occasions, and she has always been very friendly.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:41 pm    ::: Re: Other K-State 'Cats Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
gumption72 wrote:
Then there is Nikki McCray's apathy (is she shy?) at even being there...

I found Nikki to be great - very outgoing and warm. Maybe you caught her on a bad day.

Keegs I think it may have been more that the 2 rookies stole the show. Folks knew WHO they were & why they were there but weren't very familiar w/Nikki. I don't think Lea B. Olson (MC for the Q&A) did a very good job in setting up who Nikki is, where she has been or what she has done over her b-ball career. And the questions she asked Nik Nik weren't very interesting. So she was pretty much a side note for the event Embarassed

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe there's a rumour in this - is Nikki going to the Lynx? I can't think of a good reason for her to be at a Lynx STH event!
MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/07/05 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Maybe there's a rumour in this - is Nikki going to the Lynx? I can't think of a good reason for her to be at a Lynx STH event!

THAT was my 1st thought when I found out she was going to be at this event. Ohlde & Whalen were always a part of this event & seems Nik Nik was added in the last 2wks ???

This was the annual chance to upgrade your seat but was spiced up into a big event this yr to drum up more season tkts as well. Which are up from this time last yr so thats a good thing Very Happy

Soooo if they do pick up Nik Nik for some odd reason folks here will NOW know who she is Razz

gumption72

PostPosted: 03/08/05 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

Well, since I was wondering the same thing, as well as wondering WHY Lindsay was at a Lynx STH event, I asked the head of sales why Lindsay was there. She said to promote the league, and admitted it was to draw people. She quickly added, "that is why Nikki is here, too". So I think they used Nikki to vindicate having Lindsay there with the reasoning that they are both other players in the league. Hmmmm. I asked how it was arranged that Lindsay would be at this Lynx event and she said frankly that the locals need to realize that they can still see LW play by going to to a Lynx/Sun game. The Lynx have also arranged the preseason game against the Sun at the Barn (the Gopher's arena). Can you believe that? Last year at the only Sun@Lynx game, they played the Minnesota rouser and did a 2003-2004 Gopher season tribute (LW senior year) during half time. The Lynx regulars were disgusted and I was really uncomfortable. There has been some other board talk about the use/abuse of Whalen by the Lynx. Doesn't Lindsay have free will?! In every interview she makes it clear that it is her goal to promote the league, further the game. Admirable attitude, but at what price? Maybe this is common throughout the league.

I felt bad for Nikki because her signing table seemed to be always empty... no one seemed to recognize who she was. She didn't even look up at me when I talked to her and I noticed that she didn't look anyone in the eye when they would come to get her autograph. Oh well. She is very pretty in person, and she was still warmer (on a bad day) than Lindsay usually is (unless she's talking to a kid). She is turing into an effective and confident speaker... impressive. I remember when she couldn't stop staring at at her shoes!

I also got to talk to SMS and she is fairly open, yet professional, with her opinions and reasoning about last year's draft, this year's draft, exactly what she looks for in a player, her experiences with other coaches, lots of info! I didn't know she was such an open person, or I would have cornered her sooner.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/08/05 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:

I asked how it was arranged that Lindsay would be at this Lynx event and she said frankly that the locals need to realize that they can still see LW play by going to to a Lynx/Sun game. The Lynx have also arranged the preseason game against the Sun at the Barn (the Gopher's arena). Can you believe that?

Major reason for being at the Barn vs. Target Center is the T-wolves would 'normally' be in volved in the playoffs so in part to avoid conflict their making it a big deal @ the Barn.

gumption72 wrote:
Last year at the only Sun@Lynx game, they played the Minnesota rouser and did a 2003-2004 Gopher season tribute (LW senior year) during half time. The Lynx regulars were disgusted and I was really uncomfortable.

MN folks need to know that in past yrs they have honored the HS b-ball Champions at half time of a gm. Since last season Minnesota W-Hockey won the Nat'l title, Volleyball & B-ball went to the final 4 I thought it was good to honor those teams when many U of MN fans were in the stands.

gumption72 wrote:
There has been some other board talk about the use/abuse of Whalen by the Lynx. Doesn't Lindsay have free will?! In every interview she makes it clear that it is her goal to promote the league, further the game. Admirable attitude, but at what price? Maybe this is common throughout the league.

The Lynx are damed if the do & damed if they don't when it comes to some folks. MN will have to learn that it's not at all uncommon for players to make apperances in other cities. Sometime I think some MN fans need to pull their head out of the gopherholes. The price Lindsay is paying is the price all the players are paying with their time & Lindsay is tying to help keep a franchise here even though she doesn't play here. If people would just listen to her, she's happy, playing ball in the WNBA, making $$$ & she gets to come home & play now & then. People are going to just roll up in a ball & die when Janel leaves the U. Sorry I'm venting at you Gump, its just I hear some of the stuff you've mentioned from some people as well. I'm thinking, when are they going to stop the pissing & griping & enjoy the Gophs post MN success & the fact they have a team in town that at least lets them see their fav player. If we didn't have a team they'd be boasting we should have one.

Sorry for highjacking the Cat's thread Confused

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/08/05 9:19 pm    ::: Lynx are doing it right Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:
Last year at the only Sun@Lynx game, they played the Minnesota rouser and did a 2003-2004 Gopher season tribute (LW senior year) during half time. The Lynx regulars were disgusted and I was really uncomfortable.

Gumption, if by "Lynx regulars" you mean STH and other folks who go to a lot of games, I don't think there was a consensus. We're STH and we loved it, though not half as much as we loved seeing the Lynx win.

(If you mean that the Lynx players were uncomfortable, that's a surprise. Ohlde certainly played well!)

Any stunt that gets a few thousand more people to show up for a Lynx game or (here) associate the Lynx with the WCBB they already follow is pretty much OK by me. The Lynx need to position themselves to incorporate more Gopher fans. (Holding the Lynx seat-selection day on the same day as the Big Ten Tournament semi-final may not be the best way to do it-- we stayed home, not because we prefer the Gophs to the Lynx-- we love them equally-- but because we prefer games to non-game events. I know the Lynx may not have had much choice due to T-Wolves scheduling or player commitments elsewhere.)

Back to the K-State thread: how is Koehn's ball-handling? I haven't seen her enough to have an opinion, but you can't argue with her perimeter shot.

gumption72

PostPosted: 03/08/05 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Sorry I'm venting at you Gump, its just I hear some of the stuff you've mentioned from some people as well. I'm thinking, when are they going to stop the pissing & griping & enjoy the Gophs post MN success & the fact they have a team in town that at least lets them see their fav player. If we didn't have a team they'd be boasting we should have one.

No offense taken at all. Gotta hash these things out. I don't disagree with anything you said. I am just saying what I am hearing and adding a few thoughts of my own. As a complete and thorough novice at being a WNBA fan, and not being a very concise writer, I try to reign it in, but I am not very good at holding back my frequently uneducated little rants (but at least I know it, right? Rolling Eyes ). I prefer reading frequently confusing, yet mostly witty, tidbits the pros write here... can't take the time to wade through the VeProf's domineering biases. Does he somehow own that list? Already digressing.

I finally realized last year that we all need to take Lindsay's lead on this. Promote the game, further the league... do whatever it takes. She flies all over the country, attends local CT schools, volunteers in SO MANY programs promoting the image of the WNBA. She makes very generous choices and so I try to 'talk down' my friends who seem to be perpetually stuck in that 'pissing and griping' mode and/or have given up on anything but Gopher BB altogether.

I love my Lynx and really look forward to the start of the season. The ST lady said sales were already 300 more than last season at this time. Very Happy Got a coworker with three young girls to buy a mini ticket plan and am working on a few friends to just jump in and buy. Can't help it, but the Sun is my #1 team (Keesh, Taj, Thibault... who's not to love? How lucky could Whalen be to have that perfect fit for her?!) and the Lynx are a very close second, and then there is the Fever... and the Monarchs and the Sting and and and.....

And, yes. We are EXTREMEMLY privilaged to have a WNBA team right here. I see some people are from Atlanta or St Louis... that would just simply suck. And then there is 'poor' Slovy, has to jet around to keep up with all of those pet teams! Wink

gumption72

PostPosted: 03/08/05 9:42 pm    ::: Re: Lynx are doing it right Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Gumption, if by "Lynx regulars" you mean STH and other folks who go to a lot of games, I don't think there was a consensus. We're STH and we loved it, though not half as much as we loved seeing the Lynx win.

(If you mean that the Lynx players were uncomfortable, that's a surprise. Ohlde certainly played well!)

Any stunt that gets a few thousand more people to show up for a Lynx game or (here) associate the Lynx with the WCBB they already follow is pretty much OK by me. The Lynx need to position themselves to incorporate more Gopher fans. (Holding the Lynx seat-selection day on the same day as the Big Ten Tournament semi-final may not be the best way to do it-- we stayed home, not because we prefer the Gophs to the Lynx-- we love them equally-- but because we prefer games to non-game events. I know the Lynx may not have had much choice due to T-Wolves scheduling or player commitments elsewhere.)

Back to the K-State thread: how is Koehn's ball-handling? I haven't seen her enough to have an opinion, but you can't argue with her perimeter shot.

Oops. Sorry I didn't clarify... the Lynx STH fans I was sitting by at that game were extremely disappointed/disgusted by the Whalen heavy video and rouser and clearly let everyone around them know it. I was unnerved. It felt just weird. And, basically it was my love of the Gophers that ultimately led me and a few friends into the WNBA. I am working on other friends and coworkers to take the next step from appreciating the Gophers, to the Lynx, and then to buy tickets and ultimately support the WNBA. It is a long process.

I didn't stay home... I called ahead to see if the OSU/MN would be on the jumbotron and, since it was, I went. Quite a few people stayed until the end of the game. I am really glad I did go. Then, went right home and watched the game again on Tivo. Pathetic?

I saw a little clinic/mini seminar thing featuring Koehn demonstrating the free throw. They chose Koehn because of her talent and stats (forgot them). During the clinic, they rattled off her stats and how she practiced her shot every single day... apparently everybody on campus knows that she is in the gym before six a.m. every-day-no-matter-what practicing her shooting. And it shows.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/08/05 10:28 pm    ::: Re: Lynx are doing it right Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:

I didn't stay home... I called ahead to see if the OSU/MN would be on the jumbotron and, since it was, I went. Quite a few people stayed until the end of the game. I am really glad I did go. Then, went right home and watched the game again on Tivo. Pathetic?

I e-mailed to ask if they would have the gm on as well. And no your not pathetic. (cuz if you are so am I Shocked )We went to the bar to watch the rest of the 2nd half and then I went home to watch again cuz you can never hear whats going on w/people talking & yelling. Nice to be able to use instant reply too Wink

AC you better learn to set the VCR man. It's at the non b-ball gm events that you can get some inside scoops Razz

Back to the Cats; I think I saw the little clinic thing your talking about on Koehn Gump & watching her shoot those free-throws was a think of beauty ! Automatic, perfect form, nothing but net every time. Amazing ! I think the announcers said they watched her in pre gm hit like 22 3pt shots in a row or some ungodly number.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/08/05 10:52 pm    ::: Re: Lynx are doing it right Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
AC you better learn to set the VCR man. It's at the non b-ball gm events that you can get some inside scoops Razz

Back to the Cats; I think I saw the little clinic thing your talking about on Koehn Gump & watching her shoot those free-throws was a think of beauty ! Automatic, perfect form, nothing but net every time. Amazing ! I think the announcers said they watched her in pre gm hit like 22 3pt shots in a row or some ungodly number.

I get more scoops than I can handle just by reading this board on a good day!

If we had realized that they'd put the OSU game on the Jumbotron we would have shown up. We didn't think to call and ask. Oops.

That's great about Koehn's free throws, but I still want to know if she can bring the ball up the floor against pressure every so often (whether or not it's her usual duty with K-State) before I have thoughts on her W. potential. If K-State plays Rutgers or UNC we'll find out. (By the way: same question about Caity Matter, whom I imagine will get drafted-- high second round? low second round?)

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 03/10/05 1:17 am    ::: Koehn, Lynx, McCray Reply Reply with quote

I didn't get to watch much of the Nebraska-KSU game b/c I had to pick up a friend at the airport. However, I don't remember if I saw Koehn dribble the ball once. I remain biased towards Evan Unrau, the MU Tiger who couldn't find a spot on the Mystics' roster.

After the KSU game @ Mizzou, Ohlde & Lassiter signed autographs and were really great to the fans. They poked fun at each other's alma maters. When I offered my "can't wait until Katie Smith is healthy, you all will be awesome," they were both quick to express their desire for some bling in the form of championship rings.

From her Indy days, I've always thought McCray to be great with fans. When in front of a crowd, she likes to perform. I could certainly see how MN fans may not fully appreciate her NCAA, Olympic, ABL, & WNBA contributions if they are more recent or regional followers.

PostPosted: 03/11/05 12:00 am    ::: Re: Koehn, etc Reply Reply with quote

After watching the absolutely amazing K-State win over the Longhorns, I'm going to hazard that either Koehn doesn't have much of a future in the W, or that Jamie Carey, who shut her down all night, does.

A few more games like that, and Twiggy MacIntyre does too. I'm still amazed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: